As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is an Ipod easy to use?

cruciverbietecruciverbiete Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I've never owned one, and I'm thinking of buying one for my grand-maman this Christmas. She has trouble seeing in her left eye, and the right has been paralyzed for three years (no vision). She has the ears of a hawk though, and she loves to read. Hence, e-books and the delights thereof.

Thing is, she is 0 technosavvy. I'll take care of loading the files and setting them up with Itunes, but she would have to be able to select the files on the player herself, since I'm not always at their place.

-How easy are they to use? I've handled one, and honestly I think it could be a little tricky.
-Alternative players?

cruciverbiete on

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Not to make a sweeping generalization about old people, but it's my experience that 99% have a tough time reading small text. iPods have really tiny text, I can't imagine how uncomfortable it must be to read an entire book on an iPod screen.

Are you sure this is a good gift for her? If she's not techsavy, reading might become a chore rather than an enjoyment. I'd get her some sort of book club subscription or a giftcard at Borders.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well a Shuffle has no screen at all. So having impaired vision isn't an issue.

Not that that necessarily makes it easy to use...

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think if her sight is almost gone, he must have meant audiobooks, not e-books. Either way, it might be tough to navigate the ipod without being able to see it very well.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, but he did say she loves to read. I figured she reads books with big letters.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    My bad, indeed I meant audiobooks.
    I'm wondering about navigation, specifically. I've looked on ebay for huuuuuge ones, but everything is pretty much designed to be as small as possible.

cruciverbiete on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The mere concept of an audiobook may be too much for her to handle. I know it took my grandma a while to realise that CDs didn't need to be rewound and she still doesn't understand the menu system on DVDs.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Drop by an Apple store and see if the sales staff can help you configure an iPod touch to display text and icons at a larger size. I don’t know if it can be done, but if it can, your grandmother might be able to use an iPod with no trouble.

supabeast on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ah but see instructional design is my forte!
    I went and looked at some models, and the larger models seem to offer a reasonable interface to work with, i.e. seems simple to navigate.

ipod-classic-review-1.jpg

Ipod classic looks quite big. Yea?

cruciverbiete on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    supabeast wrote: »
    Drop by an Apple store and see if the sales staff can help you configure an iPod touch to display text and icons at a larger size. I don’t know if it can be done, but if it can, your grandmother might be able to use an iPod with no trouble.

I'll give them a wizz, thanks for the idea.

cruciverbiete on
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I would seriously recommend buying her a Discman (or some other portable CD player), and just burning audiobooks to CD for her. One audiobook per CD, broken into chapter tracks.

From a conceptual standpoint, that would be much easier for her to understand: "This disc-thing is 'Pride and Prejudice,' I put it in here, press the big button, and it plays. When I want to listen to a different book, I just put a different disc-thing in." CD players are inherently more user-friendly than MP3 players because they don't need to worry about scrolling through recursive folders of artist/album/track/genre/etc, and if she has any level of familiarity with music CDs - or hell, even records - she'll be able to easily apply that knowledge. CD players are physically easier to use, too. No weird scroll wheels, no touchpads, just the same tactile play/pause/fastforward/rewind buttons she will have been using for the past 30 years.

There's no need to spend $X00 on a shiny new iPod Touch when something like a CD player would be more comfortable for her to use, both intellectually and physically. Plus, assuming she has some sort of stereo system, giving her audiobooks on CD would also give her the option to listen to them on that, so she wouldn't need to wear headphones (which a lot of people find uncomfortable over long periods of time).

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    Sir Headless VIISir Headless VII Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you are going to set up an ipod as audio book reader it would be good to mention that ipod's use their own M4B extension for audio books, they are not mp3s. It allows them to do some things for an audio book you wouldn't normally want in an mp3 like remember where you are or bookmark places.

Sir Headless VII on
    Steam - Backpack - Bnet: SirHeadless #1154
    7KEFduI.jpg