As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Movie Release Awareness - November '08 (RIP Gim)

13»

• AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    A ladyfriend is trying to drag me to see Twilight. The movie sounds as bad as my chances of turning it into a date of any kind, which are essentially zero.

Think I'll pass on that one.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Hey everyone, Role Models was better than expected

Medopine on
  • NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Can somebody tell me why "The Road" seems to have failed to be released this November?

Noneoftheabove on
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So i was kinda of forced to see Twilight today and....I dunno..I guess it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Alot of it bored the crap out of me...

but there were some amusing atleast scenes
    The whole interaction between them cooking for her despite hardly ever doing so

pretty much any scene with Jasper in it, for a guy with hardly any lines, just watching him is fun

also...so thats what happens in sun light? they sparkle? i mean, he steps in sunlight and what happens? it just looks like he made out with some girl that uses too much of that glitter lipgloss crap
    Yes, vampires apparently sparkle in sunlight. It's probably one of the most annoying things about the series.

Kilroy on
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    Hey everyone, Role Models was better than expected

Role Models was hilarious.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Kilroy wrote: »
    So i was kinda of forced to see Twilight today and....I dunno..I guess it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Alot of it bored the crap out of me...

but there were some amusing atleast scenes
    The whole interaction between them cooking for her despite hardly ever doing so

pretty much any scene with Jasper in it, for a guy with hardly any lines, just watching him is fun

also...so thats what happens in sun light? they sparkle? i mean, he steps in sunlight and what happens? it just looks like he made out with some girl that uses too much of that glitter lipgloss crap
    Yes, vampires apparently sparkle in sunlight. It's probably one of the most annoying things about the series.

Yeah its pretty dumb. Someone pointed out something to me about this vampire mythos - they aren't really vampires. They're fae that drink blood.

I had to go Friday night with the girlfriend. A long line of girls with red ribbons and bad red streaks in their hair saw it with us and shrieked with delight when a) the lights went off b) the movie started c) any of the main characters appeared for the first time d) intermittently whenever Edward appeared.

Not really a spoiler but my view on the movie:
    Boring. As hell. I can enjoy a decently written/acted movie that doesn't have much going on. Lost in Translation, Garden State, etc are solid.

There was nothing there in this one. Its like an hour of bad angst, 90 minutes of lame teenage romance and 30 minutes of weak "action." And yes, I know the movie was supposedly two hours, but it felt closer to four.

Worst movie I've seen in theaters since Punch Drunk Love and the worst I didn't walk out of.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Do they have the creepy subservience disguised as romance?

Fencingsax on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Can somebody tell me why "The Road" seems to have failed to be released this November?

Supposedly it hasn't been getting the best of reviews in the screenings. It must have really hurt the movie company, because they were pushing it for oscar consideration.

noir_blood on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    noir_blood wrote: »

Supposedly it hasn't been getting the best of reviews in the screenings. It must have really hurt the movie company, because they were pushing it for oscar consideration.
    all I know is that the book is bleak and depressing.

Fencingsax on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Well at one point in the movie...
    The female lead (Bella) arrived in the town in March. The final scene takes place at Prom. So the entire plot takes place in a span of about 3-4 months. About halfway through the movie, Bella in a voice over tells us.
    About three things I was absolutely positive:
    First, Edward was a vampire.
    Second, there was a part of him–and I didn’t know how dominant that part might be–that thirsted for my blood.
    And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.
    Apparently this is directly from the text.
    noir_blood wrote: »

all I know is that the book is bleak and depressing.

I've been meaning to read that for a while. Worth it?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    PantsB wrote: »
    The female lead (Bella) arrived in the town in March. The final scene takes place at Prom. So the entire plot takes place in a span of about 3-4 months. About halfway through the movie, Bella in a voice over tells us.
    Second, there was a part of him–and I didn’t know how dominant that part might be–that thirsted for my blood.

Good lord, that's horrendous. I've heard these book are pretty blatantly sexist in the "girl with daddy-complex needs the man to do everything for her and rescue her every 5 minutes" flavor. Does the main character end up doing anything except get rescued?

KalTorak on
    edited November 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »

Good lord, that's horrendous. I've heard these book are pretty blatantly sexist in the "girl with daddy-complex needs the man to do everything for her and rescue her every 5 minutes" flavor. Does the main character end up doing anything except get rescued?
    In the book, she apparently faints a lot. And let's not discuss the children.

Fencingsax on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Joe Loves Crappy Movies has its own interpretation:
    404.jpg

We must make this film. NOW!

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Joe Loves Crappy Movies has its own interpretation:
    404.jpg

We must make this film. NOW!

Close, but what makes the romance interesting is the juxtaposition of deliciousness and sexual attraction! Get me an erotic cherry cheesecake, and I'll get in touch with Hugh Jackman's people.

KalTorak on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    The Road is worth reading but I don't think I'd want to watch it in movie form

Medopine on
  • WifflebatWifflebat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    The Road is worth reading but I don't think I'd want to watch it in movie form

Concurred. It will be the very definition of bleak.

Also, is this where we confess to reading the Twilight books? I did, they were as god-awful as I expected and yet I read the entire fucking series.

Wifflebat on
  • setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I honestly don't even think The Road could be made into a good movie. It doesn't have quite the same build-up and low-key suspense that allowed No Country to be adapted so well.

setrajonas on
  • thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I saw Australia on Thanksgiving in a surprisingly full theatre.

Overall, the movie is good but that's about where my feelings end. Lurhmann didn't create any images or scenes that stuck in mind afterwards, the kind that made me want to see Moulin Rouge! multiple times. The film was visually stunning, and the story was interesting (especially the backstory of Abirigionals) but I couldn't help but feel like with a little more development, the movie could cut like a rapier instead of a machete. It's also a fairly long movie at 3 hours, so unless you really love Baz Luhrmann or Australian history, this probably should remain a renter for most people.

Today is Milk, and I have high hopes for it. Looking in to December, though, gives me dread as there aren't films I want to see for a few weeks. Maybe Milk can tide me over.

thanimations on