As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Anyone know some good A+ books and resources?

EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey, I have worked with computers for many years and have been running Linux, OSX and Windows XP for years in my house. So I assume getting an A+ would not be too hard for me as I hear some people can just walk in and take the test with out studying. The only thing that gets me are questions like this..

Which of the following is NOT considered to be a field replaceable unit (FRU)?

Not sure what an FRU is and I have built about 10 computers...

Anyways if you guys could list some up to date books with cd-rom or online resources that could help me get ready for this test that would be great :)

SEGA
p561852.jpg
EliteLamer on

• Options
    edited November 2008
    Biggest problem is finding an up to date book...

This one has great reviews but it is 2006..

http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Complete-Certification-Quentin-Docter/dp/0470145609/ref=pd_sim_b_5

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What are the choices on that question? I didn't see it when I took the test.

Most people that have a decent amount of in the field training can stroll in and get the A+.
    I didn't use books or anything like that to study but used this site mostly.
    http://www.proprofs.com/certification/comptia/a-plus/index.shtml

There are a couple of other sites if you do a couple google searches.

Hope this helps.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    MoSiAc wrote: »
    What are the choices on that question? I didn't see it when I took the test.

Most people that have a decent amount of in the field training can stroll in and get the A+.
    I didn't use books or anything like that to study but used this site mostly.
    http://www.proprofs.com/certification/comptia/a-plus/index.shtml

There are a couple of other sites if you do a couple google searches.

Hope this helps.

I did see that site when I googled but was not sure if it was up to date and it wanted me to sign up for an account..

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The test content changed recently didn't it? When I took it I had to know what to do if I needed to set IRQ's manually as if that comes into play EVER.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    MoSiAc wrote: »
    The test content changed recently didn't it? When I took it I had to know what to do if I needed to set IRQ's manually as if that comes into play EVER.

I think it changed in 2007?

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I got my software using a program called Transcenders. They're software you put on the computer and they quiz you with the real questions on the test. Then you go back through your answers, and with every question you get wrong, they explain why and how.

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    This would be a phenominal kit if it still applied to the test offered. I didn't realize that the test was updated last year making this book largely obselete. I would say about 75-80% of this book still applies, but not enough to net a passing score as I found out the hard way. I did all the flash cards and practice questions until I got them all 100%. Unfortunately I was only about 3 wrong answers away from passing.

It seems that they've put a lot more weight on the networking side, particularly wireless. If you plan on self-study, make sure you're getting a book that's been updated for the 2007 test. I would almost call this false advertising because it states that it was published in 2007, on the box it says for the 2006 candidate though. I would recommend this guide if/when they update it.

I do not want that to happen but I can't find any new good books 2008

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    KrikeeKrikee Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    EliteLamer wrote: »
    This would be a phenominal kit if it still applied to the test offered. I didn't realize that the test was updated last year making this book largely obselete. I would say about 75-80% of this book still applies, but not enough to net a passing score as I found out the hard way. I did all the flash cards and practice questions until I got them all 100%. Unfortunately I was only about 3 wrong answers away from passing.

It seems that they've put a lot more weight on the networking side, particularly wireless. If you plan on self-study, make sure you're getting a book that's been updated for the 2007 test. I would almost call this false advertising because it states that it was published in 2007, on the box it says for the 2006 candidate though. I would recommend this guide if/when they update it.

book

http://certification.comptia.org/a/glancebox.aspx
    The test hasn't been updated since 2006. With the experience you are speaking of you could probably pass without reading the book (It's a Pass/Fail grade) but if you're like me you'll read the book anyway.

Krikee on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Krikee wrote: »
    EliteLamer wrote: »
    snip

book

http://certification.comptia.org/a/glancebox.aspx
    With the experience you are speaking of you could probably pass without reading the book.

No.

CompTIA prides itself on writing tests that cover really, really old technology that he probably hasn't ever seen (or used) other than in pictures. I've taken the A+ and Network+ exams and both of them covered shit like thin wire networks and IRQ settings. They aren't hard tests in that the material is difficult; they're hard tests because the material is obscure and dated. Even for grizzled veterans, I'd recommend at least a month of consistent studying from 1-2 reliable books along with taking a few practice tests for good measure. CompTIA exams cost over $250 bucks each, so why chance throwing your money away by being over confident?

I took the old A+ (pre-2006 update), but the Mike Meyers series generally gets good reviews. I also use the Exam Cram2 series as a refresher a couple of days before any certification exam I take.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The last post for that book was 2005.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg