As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Recommendation Thread

2»

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Scotty wrote: »
    I'm getting a lot of Valkyria Chronicles plugs...I tried the demo, but wasn't too sure about it. (I know, I know...sorry)

I'm still needing some advice here...I really like long games with lots of exploration, and I'm a bit of a graphic whore. FPS are ok, and I like me some action adventure.

To make it simple, I like to feel as though I'm playing a movie pretty much.:P

We don't insist that you love Valkyria Chronicles, Scotty - only that you try the demo. You did - I'm happy.

Lots of exploration? You want Fallout 3. It's phenomenal, even with all the bugs. Without the bugs it would be dangerously close to perfect.

To feel as though you're playing a movie? You want Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (the demo doesn't do it justice - at all. I hated the demo. I love the game) or Metal Gear Solid 4. But MGS4 is more watching a movie and then playing a game for 1/6th of the time.

Yeah, let's go with Uncharted and Fallout 3.

Edit: also, if you could stretch the 'like a movie' guideline to 'like a horror-themed high-budget TV miniseries', Siren: Blood Curse is still the best-reviewed survival horror on current gen systems.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The most movie-like recent game I can think of is probably Mass Effect.

And Assassins Creed (to a lesser degree, mostly due to repetetiveness)

But yeah, Fallout 3 is good too (and Oblivion).

Also, Condemned was very cinematic too IMO.

Grudge on
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mass Effect was great, played it to death...sold it while it's worth something, and may grab it again someday on the cheap.

I do like Survival Horror, and just tried the demo for Siren BC...definitely fits the bill. The controls seem like they'd take some getting used to, but it's definitely in the running. I liked the demo for LFD as well...and seeing as I just got myself a brand spankin' new 13 month Live Gold account...may need to get that.

I own EDF2017...have for a while, and I love it.:)

It's looking more and more like FALLOUT 3 is going to be the winner here. (Best bang for my buck and such)
    Uncharted definitely didn't grab me with the demo, but I like that people are saying the demo is not representative of the full game.

I will decide by sundown today, or God have mercy on us all! (or whatever)

Scotty on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    De Blob is essential for proof that a third party can do a Nintendo quality title.

Endless Ocean is a great original diving sim that is fun, relaxing, and educational.

I'd like to de-recommend those two titles. The first one has a nice presentation, but the gameplay isn't just that strong and can get rather repetetive very fast. The second one, I'd suggest to better spend the money towards a DVD documentary about aquatic wildlife or on an aquarium, because either is certainly more interesting than this borefest.

Oh, and if anyone is on the look-out for a great PC CRPG, I'd like to recommend Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir (well, both addons really) - criminally underrated in my opinion.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    dcleedclee Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What are some good fighting games for the DS? Also, are there plans of any Street Fighter games for the DS in the future? And I'm not counting GBA games.

dclee on
  • Options
    mcphorks5mcphorks5 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    If there is just one game that i could recommend for everyone it would be catan. Either the board game version or the xbla version its fun and extremly addictive and requires a bit of strategy and patience to play. So yea everyone should go download it i think it might even be on sale right now i'm not sure but its worth every dollar/point you spend on it.

mcphorks5 on
    mcphorks7.png
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    Mention of DS games, but not TWEWY.

This is a bad post. The World Ends With You is the bestest DS game.

Also, you should all be buying SAWA albums right now you miserable bastards.

Also, anything ATLUS has it's name slapped onto is awesome.

If you like slow, methodical games, check out the Gearhead RPG(Have it on a fucking disc, like, a professionally made one with a painted surface), Dwarf Fortress and Liberal Crime Squad(NOW WITH OBJECT ORIENTED PROGRAMMING!).

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh, and if anyone is on the look-out for a great PC CRPG, I'd like to recommend Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir (well, both addons really) - criminally underrated in my opinion.

None of the NWN games are turn-based, they all have godawful cameras, bastardised versions of 3rd's rules, and can CTBluescreen your precious one thousand dollar computers.

Mask of the Betrayer is okay, because the story redeems the mediocre everything else.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    De Blob is essential for proof that a third party can do a Nintendo quality title.

Endless Ocean is a great original diving sim that is fun, relaxing, and educational.

I'd like to de-recommend those two titles. The first one has a nice presentation, but the gameplay isn't just that strong and can get rather repetetive very fast. The second one, I'd suggest to better spend the money towards a DVD documentary about aquatic wildlife or on an aquarium, because either is certainly more interesting than this borefest.

Different strokes for different folks. Both games are still fantastic in different ways, and De Blob is stunning in graphics, music, and fun.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    Mention of DS games, but not TWEWY.

This is a bad post. The World Ends With You is the bestest DS game.

When did I say this?

I love TWEWY. :|

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Faffel wrote: »
    gijohn13 wrote: »
    Already got orange box(One of the best purchases I ever made), sims 2 and battlefield 2

Genres

strategy games, not too keen on command & conquer games, Loved total annilation to death and I'm dissapointed there being no sequels to it, so maybe something similiar to that one?

First person shooters and third person platformers I can dig

Supreme Commander was made by many people who did TA.

Supreme Commander and Forged Alliance can be had pretty cheap now and follow very much in TA's footsteps in terms of gameplay. They really focus on the grand scale strategy across whole continents, fighting simultaneous battles across land, sea and air.

You can also get them both DRM free off of Impulse for $30:

http://www.impulsedriven.com/
    http://www.impulsedriven.com/products/ESD-IMP-W115

Think of Impulse as a DD system similar to Steam, except DRM free.

subedii on
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    Faffel wrote: »
    gijohn13 wrote: »
    Already got orange box(One of the best purchases I ever made), sims 2 and battlefield 2

Genres

strategy games, not too keen on command & conquer games, Loved total annilation to death and I'm dissapointed there being no sequels to it, so maybe something similiar to that one?

First person shooters and third person platformers I can dig

Supreme Commander was made by many people who did TA.

Supreme Commander and Forged Alliance can be had pretty cheap now and follow very much in TA's footsteps in terms of gameplay. They really focus on the grand scale strategy across whole continents, fighting simultaneous battles across land, sea and air.

You can also get them both DRM free off of Impulse for $30:

http://www.impulsedriven.com/
    http://www.impulsedriven.com/products/ESD-IMP-W115

Think of Impulse as a DD system similar to Steam, except DRM free.

Subedii for you and anyone looking for a good Strategy game i heartily suggest Galactic Civilizations 2 and it's expansions. It's a 4x Turn Based Strategy game like the Civilization series, but set in space with a customizable everything. You can make your own race, design your own ships and screw up at interstellar politics however you'd like. It's kinda old so don't be expecting Next-gen graphics but this gives it the added benefit of running on your toaster.

Basically if you have even a passing interest in Strategy games and reading this doesn't make you want to buy the game you have no soul:
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=161570&site=pcg

Buy it here:
    http://www.impulsedriven.com/products/ESD-TGN-W279

Lasbrook on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Already own it. And Sins of a Solar Empire, I've been a lot more hooked on that than I was with GalCiv.

subedii on
  • Options
    gijohn13gijohn13 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    just want to say lads, thanks for the help. had a nice birthday, upon wondering whether to get Dead space or fallout 3, chose the latter. As for strategy games, bought age of empires 3.

So fallout 3
    Yeah its pretty good

gijohn13 on
    Brawl code 1118-1722-8514
    3ds code: 1779 0686 9264