As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dial Q for the Question! (about Comics Thread)

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    How does one become Editor in Chief of Marvel or DC, exactly? What qualifications did the current EiCs have going into the position?

Robos A Go Go on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well, Dan Didio's resume included driving ReBoot into the ground, driving Superboy into the ground, and resembling Mario Mario.

Joe Quesada's resume included a long, storied history of illustrating comics for both Marvel and DC, as well as being one of several creators to create and define the Marvel Knights brand, and bringing the company back from the brink of bankruptcy.

So at DC you basically just fail into the position, continue failing, piss off a bunch of creators and fans, and ultimately leave the company worse for your having been there.

At Marvel you have a long career doing pretty awesome stuff, continue to do awesome stuff, fuck up Spider-Man for a while, and later lose a bunch of weight so people don't get to call you Joe Quesadilla anymore.
    Seriously I think it's all just a matter of knowing people and meeting all the basic requirements. A lot of EiCs from both companies came from pretty disparate backgrounds. Much like breaking into the industry in the first place, there doesn't seem to be a "right" way to do it.

Munch on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you ever get a chance to talk to Quesada for a few hours, you should ask him how started in the industry and how he eventually became EiC of Marvel. It's really pretty fucking crazy. He's an extremely lucky guy.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nogs wrote: »
    If you ever get a chance to talk to Quesada for a few hours, you should ask him how started in the industry and how he eventually became EiC of Marvel. It's really pretty fucking crazy. He's an extremely lucky guy.

Since none of us will hang out with Joe Q, maybe you summarize?

DouglasDanger on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Didn't Quesada actually run the Marvel Knights line before becoming EiC?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Clone High seems to fit the bill.

I had not heard of it, and the first five minutes of episode one were thoroughly entertaining.

Thanks.

I don't know if this counts or not, but I've really enjoyed Avatar: The Last Airbender. It's anime-ish, but not obnoxiously so.

JoeUser on
    edited November 2008

He pulled a thorn from a lion's paw and was granted one wish as a result.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited November 2008

well my favorite part is how he got his first real job in the comics industry. After a series of very lucky events he eventually got into an office at a major comics publisher. He talked to a guy he kinda knew and the guy said "look i'll try but we don't have any openings, and really i don't think anything is going to happen."

so he sits outside in the waiting area for like an hour or so and then gets called in to on of the editor's office. The editor goes something like:

"what are the chances that I would give some nobody with no real experience in drawing comics a job here out of the blue?

"Now what are the chances that one of my artists, in the time you were sitting outside of the office, would call up, cuss me out, and quit?"

And that's how he got his foot in the industry. I may have muddied some of the finer details, but that's basically what happened.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    edited November 2008
    I think Zeb Wells has the best "breaking into comics" story. He basically just made a bunch of fanfilms starring Marvel characters, came to someone's attention, and got hired to do comics.

Or Dan Slott, who took an unpaid internship at Marvel even though he'd already graduated. After his internship ended, an editor apparently told him to come back for a job after he'd finished school, and Slott basically said, "Yeaahh, about that.."

Munch on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

well my favorite part is how he got his first real job in the comics industry. After a series of very lucky events he eventually got into an office at a major comics publisher. He talked to a guy he kinda knew and the guy said "look i'll try but we don't have any openings, and really i don't think anything is going to happen."

so he sits outside in the waiting area for like an hour or so and then gets called in to on of the editor's office. The editor goes something like:

"what are the chances that I would give some nobody with no real experience in drawing comics a job here out of the blue?

"Now what are the chances that one of my artists, in the time you were sitting outside of the office, would call up, cuss me out, and quit?"

And that's how he got his foot in the industry. I may have muddied some of the finer details, but that's basically what happened.

Being in the right place at the right time is often one of the key elements in success stories. I'm sure there are tons of other artists that are roughly as talented as Quesada who will never see any of their work published because they weren't in the right place at the right time.

Also, in an industry like the comic industry, who you know really, really matters.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • ScumdoggScumdogg Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    All i know of Joe Quesada is that Marvel's artist rejection letters have gotten kinder under his regime. Mine was all "Keep going man, you're on the right track!" and other such encouraging lines. It's really nice. I kept it, and later had an opportunity to get it signed by Stan Lee. That was pretty entertaining, he read the whole thing. :)

Also, here is a question i have about comics! I read the shit out of Essential Silver Surfer vol. 1, and loved it. I'm reading vol. 2 now, and still loving it. Other than the Fantastic Four essentials, which i already plan to get, is there any other really good Silver Surfer stuff out there? I'm finding myself enjoying the character a lot more than i thought i would.

Scumdogg on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I heart my Silver Surfer: Rebirth of Thanos trade, but that's mostly because it leads into Infinity Gauntlet (which does have SS playing an important part). It's from the Silver Surfer ongoing from that time.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited November 2008
  • ScumdoggScumdogg Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Holy crap Nogs, i went to Amazon to add these to my wish list, and they were right there on the front page, as recommendations to me for some unknown reason (i didn't get the essentials on Amazon). How current will i have to be on comics to "get" these? The last of the Marvel events i read was House of M, i haven't bought any singles or any trades newer than that yet.

And thanks Virral, Infinity Gauntlet is on my Christmas list (i've read it before), but before i re-read it i will definitely read Rebirth of Thanos.

Scumdogg on
    edited November 2008
    these are mini-series, sometimes known as limited series. most of the time they are not in continuity, or at least require little to no knowledge of ongoing events. So don't worry about not being on the up-and-up with current marvel events. especially since most of silver surfer's stories are done in outer space.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Scumdogg wrote: »
    All i know of Joe Quesada is that Marvel's artist rejection letters have gotten kinder under his regime. Mine was all "Keep going man, you're on the right track!" and other such encouraging lines. It's really nice. I kept it, and later had an opportunity to get it signed by Stan Lee. That was pretty entertaining, he read the whole thing. :)

Also, here is a question i have about comics! I read the shit out of Essential Silver Surfer vol. 1, and loved it. I'm reading vol. 2 now, and still loving it. Other than the Fantastic Four essentials, which i already plan to get, is there any other really good Silver Surfer stuff out there? I'm finding myself enjoying the character a lot more than i thought i would.

Silver Surfer was bad ass in Annihilation. His brief cameo in Planet Hulk was pretty cool too. He was also in Nova recently and FF last year, though you might not care for the FF issues; he gets handled pretty convincingly by T'Challa (after a bit of trickery on Black Panther's part).

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Question: Does anyone have a scan of the Civil War spread where the two sides are standing opposite each other in the Negative Zone, or the House of M huge fight spread?

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Holy crap Nogs, i went to Amazon to add these to my wish list, and they were right there on the front page, as recommendations to me for some unknown reason (i didn't get the essentials on Amazon). How current will i have to be on comics to "get" these? The last of the Marvel events i read was House of M, i haven't bought any singles or any trades newer than that yet.

And thanks Virral, Infinity Gauntlet is on my Christmas list (i've read it before), but before i re-read it i will definitely read Rebirth of Thanos.

I'm annoyed I have such an old copy of Rebirth of Thanos actually, the newer version includes Thanos Quest which shows Thanos collecting the Infinity Gems.

And you should definitely try Annihilation if you haven't already, it's got some awesome Silver Surfer stuff in it (plus it's awesome in it's own right so you should read it anyway!)

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited November 2008
    I finally got around to watching the Global Frequency pilot, and I thought it was fantastic, particularly after watching several episodes of Fringe.

Is the Global Frequency book just as good, or is it awash in Ellisisms?

Robos A Go Go on
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I finally got around to watching the Global Frequency pilot, and I thought it was fantastic, particularly after watching several episodes of Fringe.

It's pretty excellent, and some of the things the Frequency come up against are quite interesting.

Except maybe the issue with art by Steve Dillon, that was fairly awful.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2008

A bit of both. There are some really cool stories but it is also awash in hot pierced goth lesbians who don't take shit from men. And are particle physicist parkour runners.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • nindustrialnindustrial Word Typer Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Anyone have opinions on the Army of Darkness or Evil Dead books?

nindustrial on
    chstreamsig.jpg
    edited November 2008

I can't speak for most of them, but Army of Darkness vs Marvel Zombies was great.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited November 2008
    jacobkosh wrote: »

A bit of both. There are some really cool stories but it is also awash in hot pierced goth lesbians who don't take shit from men. And are particle physicist parkour runners.

There's only one suicide girl looking female, and she kind of acts like a "control". There are several typical Ellis angry bitches who don't take any shit though. I thought Global Frequency was cool. I never saw the pilot. It is my understanding the rampant piracy of the pilot was a main factor in the show not getting picked up though. At least that is what I have heard and Ellis has implied several times.

DouglasDanger on
    edited November 2008
    It is my understanding the rampant piracy of the pilot was a main factor in the show not getting picked up though.
    People on the internet are talking about our show! SHUT IT DOWN! SHUT IT DOWN!

Robos A Go Go on
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, probably just an excuse.

Does anyone know if Gyakushu! Vol 2 ever actually came out? I ordered it months ago, way back when I ordered Scott Pilgrim and King City and Won Ton Soup, and never received it. I was never charged for it either. Is it one of the things that were screwed hard by TokyoPop?

I know King City 2 is is getting "digitally printed"-- released online only or something retarded. Damn TokyoPop. What a bunch of assholes.

DouglasDanger on
    edited November 2008
    Actually, I can see television executives being that dumb, especially a few years before the advent of viral marketing.

Robos A Go Go on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

In case this wasn't clear, the SS:Requiem is a mini that doesn't need any current marvel back story aside from who the Surfer is. The story is really good I thought and if you are an SS fan you should pick it up.

smokmnky on
  • nindustrialnindustrial Word Typer Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

I can't speak for most of them, but Army of Darkness vs Marvel Zombies was great.

Cool, even if I've never read any Marvel Zombies before?

nindustrial on
    chstreamsig.jpg
    edited November 2008

Yeah, all you need to know is that the Marvel Universe was hit by the zombie virus. The rest doesn't matter, and isn't even brought up in the story as far as I recall.

Robos A Go Go on
  • animaleanimale Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Does anyone know if Gyakushu! Vol 2 ever actually came out? I ordered it months ago, way back when I ordered Scott Pilgrim and King City and Won Ton Soup, and never received it. I was never charged for it either. Is it one of the things that were screwed hard by TokyoPop?

How is Won Ton Soup? I bought it from the Oni booth at SPX and I keep forgetting to read it... I just remember making fun of Corey Lewis at the booth since it seems he's never going to finish the 2nd Shark Knife book.

animale on
    edited November 2008
    I really loved Won Ton Soup; reading it, I was reminded of when I was a kid, first being exposed to anime, Heavy Metal magazine, and Euro comics. It has that same mix of manic energy and bizarre, outlandish ideas that you don't see coming.

Munch on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Hell yeah it was

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    All I really know about Ghost Rider is from the movie and the Marvel: Ultimate Alliance game. He seems like a cool character; are there any definitive stories I should check out?

JoeUser on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Yeah, all you need to know is that the Marvel Universe was hit by the zombie virus. The rest doesn't matter, and isn't even brought up in the story as far as I recall.
    The other Evil Dead books felt a little weak to me, however.

Wildcat on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    JoeUser wrote: »
    All I really know about Ghost Rider is from the movie and the Marvel: Ultimate Alliance game. He seems like a cool character; are there any definitive stories I should check out?

there really is no definitive Ghost Rider.

I'd suggest just reading the new issues right now written by Jason Aaron.

But for old timey Ghost Rider, any essentials are great, and I am partial to his role in the most ridiculous team ever, The Champions

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I really enjoyed the Ghost Rider Mythos story. Not a lot of substance if I recall correctly, but I found it very fun.

I also seem to recall some series where he was fighting his way back out of hell a few years back that I dug.

I only read an issue or two of Daniel Way's run on the series. They seemed good enough as well.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »

Silver Surfer was bad ass in Annihilation. His brief cameo in Planet Hulk was pretty cool too. He was also in Nova recently and FF last year, though you might not care for the FF issues; he gets handled pretty convincingly by T'Challa (after a bit of trickery on Black Panther's part).

I love Panther, but a few times they've done that irritating "Batman can take anyone given a little time to prepare" thing with him. Mind you, I like it when it's not done too much.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

But for old timey Ghost Rider, any essentials are great, and I am partial to his role in the most ridiculous team ever, The Champions

What about Hearts of Darkness TLB? PUNISHER, WOLVERINE, GHOST RIDER! OH MAN!!!!!!

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

What about Hearts of Darkness TLB? PUNISHER, WOLVERINE, GHOST RIDER! OH MAN!!!!!!

it was almost perfect.

(it didn't have Venom)

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
This discussion has been closed.