As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

gimme back my bullets (a gun thread)

oneeyedjack909oneeyedjack909 Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
So some new guns came out recently, and they're pretty sweet. The sweetest of them would be this:

SIG556_Production_Rifle.jpg

It is by far the one of the more impressive and fun carbines I've ever had the pleasure of putting through the paces. You wanna talk about utterly sexy too GODdamn! Definatley my next gun purchase

Also this:

MSAR_STG-556_Tan_Rail_Main_A.jpg

Also a fun gun I had the opportunity to play with. Its like the original AUG but improved and made in America so you can actually find and buy one without selling your soul to satan. Note the forward assist and a removable optic with an optional flat top rail. Preeeetty cool

And we can't forget about this:

IMGP1554.JPG

The new XDm basically a match version of the XD and one hot selling piece of plastic from what Springfield is saying. My local gun store has difficulty keeping them in stock so I guess people like them all right. I've only held one but the ergonomics were fantastic.

And as for me? I have these personally:
veprII_350.jpg
7.62x39 Vepr from Robinson Armament
m1891_mosin_nagant_e_0702_396.jpg
ca_m14_match_jpg.jpg
The M1a
870_police.jpg
A Remmington 870 police. Yes the actual police version. I bought it from the local sheriffs department.

So let's talk about guns because it's fun to do. Same rules as the original Gun Thread BTW

"A mans first duty is to his conscience and honor"- Mark Twain

"Those who are willing to give up essential liberties for a little safety diserve neither liberty nor safety"-Benjamin Franklin
oneeyedjack909 on

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hmm, most of those guns really don't do it for me. I understand why they make guns out of the materials they do these day, but there's just something about having some nice wood finishings on a gun to me.

Inquisitor on
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My dad and I always enjoyed recreation shooting, and I'd love to get something like a cheap SKS, but I wonder if the local range would let me shoot 7.62. Can you get target ammo in that caliber? I'm assuming you can...

Also, have any of you owed/shot any of the Hi-point 9mm or .45 rifles? I was interested in hearing thoughts on those as well.

Yall on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Hmm, most of those guns really don't do it for me. I understand why they make guns out of the materials they do these day, but there's just something about having some nice wood finishings on a gun to me.

Yeah, most of those guns look like toys, made to appeal to people who're out to play army man or something.

Give me something that shoots straight, eases into my shoulder, reloads like silk, and looks like art when it's in the case, plz.

Muzzleloaders fo' life, yo.

Incenjucar on
  • frank as fuckfrank as fuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    I have an 870 as well, in addition to a 226 in 9mm and a 10/22.

I really, really want a 556, but here in CA, finding one for less than $2000 is next to impossible, and they've been neutered to all hell anyway.

Yall, I've yet to hear anything great about those Hi-point carbines. Not saying anything bad, but nothing good either way.

My next purchase?

Mini-14.

ruger_mini_14.jpg

Yes, please.

frank as fuck on
  • oneeyedjack909oneeyedjack909 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Yeah, most of those guns look like toys, made to appeal to people who're out to play army man or something.

Give me something that shoots straight, eases into my shoulder, reloads like silk, and looks like art when it's in the case, plz.

Muzzleloaders fo' life, yo.

To each his own I suppose. It should be mentioned that all of those are tits accurate and do reload like silk. I adhere to the same criteria Townsend Whelen does "Only accurate rifles are interesting"

oneeyedjack909 on

"Those who are willing to give up essential liberties for a little safety diserve neither liberty nor safety"-Benjamin Franklin
    edited November 2008
    I will admit a kentucky long rifle tickles my fancy tho

oneeyedjack909 on

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I adhere to the same criteria Townsend Whelen does "Only accurate rifles are interesting"

Srsly.

Doesn't even have to be expensive and fancy or anything.

My mother outshot a bunch of people her first time skeet shooting - last time she used a gun was probably the early 90s at best - who all had a bunch of fancy-ass crap. She just used some standard rifle my dad had lying around which had been properly cared for. :P

Incenjucar on
  • frank as fuckfrank as fuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    This also seems like an appropriate place to discuss the "firearm buying frenzy", at least as to how it affects our purchasing. I'm fucking pissed that the cost of OLLs has gone up so hard in CA, especially just before I want to get an AR. Buying a 556 at $400 over MSRP is going to bum me out pretty hard.

frank as fuck on
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I will admit a kentucky long rifle tickles my fancy tho

The Kentucky long rifle is a beautiful piece of equipment.

Also, did you know that the song "Gimme Back my Bullets" is actually about a musician's ownership of their songs, not about gun control?

Kilroy on
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm pretty content with my Mossberg 500. Brought down two Sitka black tails, a few geese and ducks while water fowling, and I switch out the rifled barrel with the snubby 18" and it's perfect to take along for bear protection out in the bush, or home protection if I was so inclined.

Uncle Long on
    edited November 2008
    This also seems like an appropriate place to discuss the "firearm buying frenzy", at least as to how it affects our purchasing. I'm fucking pissed that the cost of OLLs has gone up so hard in CA, especially just before I want to get an AR. Buying a 556 at $400 over MSRP is going to bum me out pretty hard.

Jesus your telling me. The day after the election was like a mad house. Our gun stores here in Wyoming look like they've been ravaged by a mob who just found out the zombie apocalype had come to town. Of course no thanks to the store owners:evil:

oneeyedjack909 on

• chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well, the one reasonably priced gun shop in the area is opening up a new branch, so I may finally get that Five-seveN I've been talking about for a year. I also want to get an AK-74 or one of the new M&Ps in 5.45x39, but they're all damned scarce at something close to a reasonable price.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What was wrong with the old thread?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • RazzleDazzRazzleDazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    jack, how is the vepr? I was looking at getting one a while back, curious how it performs as opposed to a regular AK-47.

RazzleDazz on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2008
    What was wrong with the old thread?

Nothing

20040119h.gif
    Tycho wrote:
    Where I was initially resolved to merely tolerate the Van Helsing trailer, the two hundred subsequent viewings have warmed me to it considerably. Using crosses as weapons is not only reverent, it's awesome. Van Helsing is demonstrably a bad-ass, even loose coalitions of superheroes and satellites are no match for him under theoretical conditions. Though, I will concede that the inclusion of absolutely every monster ever does gild the lily a bit.

I enjoyed the first Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance very much, but when I found out the sequel wasn't being developed by the original Snowblind Studios it dulled my interest somewhat - EGM's 5.5 review didn't help much, either. I know that it seems like you could just throw a couple players into some place that has a bunch of assholes in it and let them go nuts, and this model has certainly been foisted on gamers more than once - but there really is a trick to making "mindless hack and slash" feel as though you are making important, engaging choices. So, I basically decided that I could hold off on Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II, maybe forever. Then, Gamespot gave it an 8. I don't know how I'm supposed to interpret that shit, media overlords. Five-point-five and eight? Do I add them together? The game "ships" tomorrow, I'll let you know.

Truth be told, I'd essentially decided to call Champions Of Norrath the actual sequel to BG:DA, as it is developed by Snowblind and uses the same engine anyhow. I could care less that it's based in Everquest, Sony's efforts to expand that brand always rang a little hollow for me, but four players online with voice support sounds pretty good. I also have the utmost faith in Snowblind's ability to make even enemies I'm going to see a hundred thousand times unique and interesting in terms of animation and design. They have produced "the little engine that could" apparently, it's used for all the games I've mentioned here, in addition to:

# Fallout: Brotherhood Of Steel, which is either a miserable piece of shit or okay, depending on who you ask. It made no friends among the largely PC oriented gamers that built the franchise for its "dumbed down" console action, but since the same things were said about Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and that game was great, so all by itself a break with tradition doesn't really convince me of anything. I haven't heard much good spoken of it, though - but any game with co-op can be enjoyed under the right circumstances, and it also has submachineguns, you know, which I'm sort of partial to.

# Combat Elite: WWII Paratroopers also takes the fantasy engine into the realm of firearms, and for some reason I have a good feeling about this one. It's co-operative, like all games that use the engine, and it's World War II, but from a very different perspective than we typically get. It doesn't arrive until June, but I'm pretty happy with what I've seen so far.
    Moving on.

Two games probably doesn't count as a renaissance, but between Silent Storm and MetalHeart it's just nice to know people remember there is a genre on the PC called Tactical Strategy.

(CW)TB out.

someday i'll teach you to beg

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.