As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Sims 3: The Perfect Eternal Jackass [Anti-56k]

JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Games and Technology
Some might think that after 2 editions, several hundred expansions, and millions of dollars EA would retire the Sims so that they might live the rest of their lives in peace on a field somewhere.

Some people are stupid.

Due out February 20th, 2009 is the third edition of The Sims.

thesims3backgrounddg6.jpg

Information from Wikipedia because I am lazy!
General Gameplay

All the families in the neighborhoods age and live out their lives, even when the player is playing a different family.

Of the eight needs of The Sims 1 & 2, only six - bladder, hunger, energy, fun, hygiene and social - remain. These will be completed by moodlets - attributes which are acquired by special events (minor events like tooth brushing, and major ones like wedding), and affect the Sims' behavior. The Want and Fear system of The Sims 2 is replaced by Wishes and Opportunities. Sims will also have a Lifetime Wish - similar to the Lifetime Want from The Sims 2: University

Several minor features from The Sims 2 expansion packs appear in the original The Sims 3, such as the "young adult" life stage, lifetime wants, personal inventories and mobile phones (The Sims 2: University), private cars and restaurants (Nightlife), fishing (Seasons), jewelry, beaches (Bon Voyage), toothbrushing and ceilings (Apartment Life) but none of the main features (universities from University, seasons from Seasons etc).

As in previous games, Sims can paint, but paintings will now be more unique to each Sim.

All new features are set difficulty levels for each family, hospitals where pregnant Sims may give birth, and bicycles for riding around the neighborhood.

Sims at work

Some available careers are politics, criminal, military, science, chef, and entertainment. Each career has a workplace building in the neighborhood, which Sims travel to for their shifts. Sims can also apply for jobs within these buildings. Though Sims are hidden inside buildings during the workday, the player can control their behavior at work to a certain extent. Like previous Sims games, the job yields "opportunities" - tasks that could be finished for a reward. There are also part-time jobs. Sims can also take actions to increase their productivity while not at work, such as bringing work home or working overtime. Each career has several rewards, instead of only one as in The Sims 2. Careers can also branch into several possible promotions. Children and teens go to school, just as before, but now they can do homework with computers or library books.

Each career branches off into different jobs that branch off as well. For example, if there were two Sims in the Business career track, they may not end up with the same jobs or duties even if they were on the same level in their careers. Nonetheless, once the Sim(s) reaches the peak of his/hers respective career they can still receive raises, rewards and additional payment if he/she keep performing well at work.

Create-A-Sim

Create-a-Sim is the character (Sim) builder, where the polygon 3-D models of Sims can be modified by changing a wider variety of properties than what was available in previous installments. This opens the door to creating completely unique Sims with regard to weight, fitness, hair, and clothing, etc. Footwear and headwear can now be chosen individually. Players can customize nearly everything in the game, including furniture, clothes and shoes. Rod Humble described the new interface in Create-A-Sim as "drastically different". Freckles can also be added to Sims.

Individual fitness bars have been added to adjust the Sims' obesity and muscularity between extreme levels. Arm and legs are separate so players can create Sims with fat bodies and thin arms. In The Sims 2, there were only three body types. As in The Sims 2, body shape varies with diet and exercise, so that Sims created as overweight can become slim by exercising and Sims created thin may become fat by eating too much and not exercising. Skin color is also continuous, instead of the four colors of The Sims 2. Other customization options are those of hair, fashion, and eye color.

Players can personalize much more about their Sim, such as changing body shapes as they could with faces in The Sims 2. Players can choose specific Asian and African models as well. Clothes are also customizable from Create A Sim. Players can change the color of a certain piece of clothes or use their own patterns.

Sims' personalities

Personality configuration for Sims has also been made more complex, with the original 'percentage bar'-style personality points replaced by a combination of traits, similar to those in the personals section of newspapers. Zodiac signs are no longer included in the game. Toddlers have two traits, and a new one is added for each new life stage, until they reach young adulthood - so they will have 3 as a child, 4 as a teen, then 5 as a young adult, which are the five traits they will stay with for the rest of their lives.

In The Sims 3, youngsters inherit their parents traits, but if a young Sim grows up "badly" then they will get bad traits.

Create-A-Sim now features over 70 unique traits to choose from. Some of these are Evil, Good, Good Sense of Humour, Charismatic, Loner, Computer Wiz, Neurotic and Flirty. It is not possible to give a Sim traits that contradict each other (such as Brave and Cowardly).

The player can now choose his or her Sims' favorite hobby, color, music genre, food, etc., an option not available in The Sims 2.

Buy and build modes

The buy and build modes have been improved. The grid is finer, and there is an option to turn off the grid. Objects can also be rotated freely. Certain pieces of furniture, such as chairs and tables, can easily be moved together. The "auto-roof" function updates the roof when walls are rebuilt. Wide staircases can be built in one action. Basements are also easier to build. A "wall drag" tool allows the player to move a wall including wallpaper and objects attached to the wall.

Nearly every object in the game, from cars to TVs, to chairs to closets, can be recoloured and re-textured. You can apply different types of fabric like wood, paint, brick, etc, then change it in every color possible. Any specific combination can be used on every object in the house just by simply dragging it from the tool to the object.

The grid is now 4x4 per tile. This feature will make objects easier to locate at the players desired location instead of being restricted to one tile like on The Sims 1 and The Sims 2.

Seamless, living neighborhood

On March 19, 2008, EA revealed a new feature to The Sims 3 which was neighborhood exploration. Sims can now explore the world outside their homes. The neighborhood is now in real-time, whereas before time would pass lot by lot and only when the player was loading. Players can also interact with every building in a neighborhood. The game ships with one neighborhood & 97 lots; a neighborhood editor will become available for download later.

Movies

The Movie Making Tool was first seen in The Sims 2, but has been expanded. Players can upload a movie and then shape it in any way. The player can cut the movie into pieces, give it effects, make a title, transitions, cutting, pasting,etc. However, this can only be done online. There is also a tool to produce screenshot stories.

Planned releases:
[SIZE="4"][B]The Sims 3: The first release of the core game.
The Sims 3: Collector's Edition: The Sims 3 core game, a 2GB The Sims Plumbob USB drive with matching Green Carabiner, an exclusive European-styled Sports Car download for in-game, a Prima Tips and Hints Guide, Plumbob stickers, and a quick start reference guide.[/B][/SIZE]

Screenshots
sims3sw1.png
Fatties need not apply.

sims32sk0.png
Standing up to watch TV is all the rage with the kids these days.

sims33sz4.png
Now you CAN live out the life of a virtual corner hooker.

sims34rr7.png
Seriously, sit down, damn.

sims35oe4.png
Is he dropping off or picking up?

sims36rg2.png
Men in trench coats won't be until the Jailbreak expansion.

sims37ig3.png
Purple shoes are terrible.

sims38ib6.png
Invisible spoons are popular nowadays.

sims39pj5.png
Sniper or voyeur? You decide!

sims310ai0.png
I know you're going to play a hooker. Everyone will.

sims311lf3.png
Old lady houses are boring.

I would claim that I'm going to update this OP with more information as I go but I'm not sure how likely that is.

So instead I'll just link to the best Sims related thread on this forum: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=74429

Joeslop on

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man, I was listening to some Sims music the other day, I'd forgotten just how much I love these. Will be pretty tempted to pick this up at some point, I know :(

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Have they come out with like a super platinum ultimate version of the Sims 2 with all the expansions yet? I'll probably just buy that instead.

Food on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Erachular vee

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I bought the Deluxe version of 2 today, whee.

Ramen Noodle on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Food wrote: »
    Have they come out with like a super platinum ultimate version of the Sims 2 with all the expansions yet? I'll probably just buy that instead.

Alas, there is not. I was looking around for one and couldn't find.

I guess it makes sense since the latest (and last) expansion just came out in August.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Joeslop wrote: »

Alas, there is not. I was looking around for one and couldn't find.

I guess it makes sense since the latest (and last) expansion just came out in August.
    You can get the double deluxe version which has Nightlife and one of the stuff packs. It's on sale today and tomorrow for a tenner at Best Buy.

Ramen Noodle on
  • Options
    mantidormantidor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I always say that they are becoming too realistic and boring however I always end up playing them, damn game!

What really gets me into the game is the custom stuff, so it took a while after launch to truly became a sims and sims 2 addict, but with this new one being so customizable I don't know anymore.

Now if you could just move your sims 2 characters into 3 I would be helpless and I would end up buying it first day.

mantidor on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I would do this too.

Although my problem with 2 was that you could never see the walls. Either they were all cut away, or they were all up and they blocked your view. My wallpaper choice was important to me.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man... The thing about the Sims is that you can play this fucking game for days straight. I know I was 100% addicted to the Sims 2 for about 4 or 5 days. Then I got to the top of the chain, owned everything that I wanted to, and made my house look pretty awesome.

Then I never turned it on again. But those 4 or 5 days were addicting as hell. It's sorta like Animal Crossing.

urahonky on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I don't think the box would fit in a car.

Djiem on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So is it alright to admit I'm actually looking forward to this?

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is this going to have pets at release? Both Sims games have had expansions dedicated to pets and it seems like something that makes sense to have in the base game.

Peewi on
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    No, you fucking moron, it makes sense to nickle and dime people for virtuapets for their virtuapeople, not to give out things for free, what are you, some sort of dimensional traveller from an ideal world?

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    To be fair though, vanilla The Sims 2 wasn't incomplete by any means.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »

Yeah, and there are also user created addons that do more than the official ones do.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Yeah, and there are also user created addons that do more than the official ones do.

What always annoyed me about those, even moreso as expansion packs proliferated, was how the user content would begin to all require different expansions. A car requiring the EP that introduced cars, and things like that made sense, but increasingly the connections would become less apparent.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Looks like furniture isn't snapped to a grid anymore. That's good.

jackal on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

What always annoyed me about those, even moreso as expansion packs proliferated, was how the user content would begin to all require different expansions. A car requiring the EP that introduced cars, and things like that made sense, but increasingly the connections would become less apparent.

I'd think that's because a lot of the content is made by people with all the expansion packs who assume the people downloading them will also have all the expansion packs. Wrongly, as the case may be.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    Is this going to have pets at release? Both Sims games have had expansions dedicated to pets and it seems like something that makes sense to have in the base game.

I think they use a dartboard to decide which features from the expansions go in the base game, then which expansions they'll be put in after that.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm just glad that everyone ages along with you, too. I hated having kids graduate up to their parents' old friends, and younger kids get the hand-me-down friends.

I think I'll actually get this.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh god, I hope my fiance doesn't find out about this.
    <.<
    >.>

Actually I think I'll pick it up, she fucking LOVES The Sims 2 so I think she'd appreciate me getting her this.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Darmak wrote: »
    <.<
    >.>

Actually I think I'll pick it up, she fucking LOVES The Sims 2 so I think she'd appreciate me getting her this.

Save it as a trouble card so the next time you screw up you can just pull the game out of thin air and everything will be good :P

Dixon on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dixon wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    <.<
    >.>

Save it as a trouble card so the next time you screw up you can just pull the game out of thin air and everything will be good :P
    That is a wonderful idea. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Why does this look like The Sims 2?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Because giving it Crysis level graphics would alienate their casual user base?

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    Because giving it Crysis level graphics would alienate their casual user base?
    You don't need crysis levels of graphics to have visible spoons...

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I will buy the fuck out of this game.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    RiqaRiqa Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I'd think that's because a lot of the content is made by people with all the expansion packs who assume the people downloading them will also have all the expansion packs. Wrongly, as the case may be.

For some of the major mods it would be rather unreasonable to support content for each expansion (and the multitude of combinations).

Riqa on
    3DS: 3411-1583-6442
    Steam: Noai
    Warframe: Fairwoods