As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

That thing you put your snazzy hardware in. [PC CASE!]

AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. FancypantsWears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
I'm buying a new PC, and I've got pretty much everything marked down, other than a case.
Now, my current PC has a full-fledged ATX tower and it's insanely HUGE.

I'd rather buy a smaller case for the new machine. The thing is, new hardware is getting pretty big, and I'm not sure what case size my specs will actually fit in.

So, I'd appreciate any advice as to what cases I can fit these things into:
Radeon HD 4870, Gigabyte GA-EX58 mobo and two Corsair XMS memory sticks.

Thanks in advance.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
AkimboEG on

• Options
    NatheoNatheo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I love Lian-Li. I fucking love Lian-Li

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=50001375%2040000007&Description=Lian-Li&name=Computer%20Cases

They are very sleek. The build quality is superb. Nice to work on and in and with. And they aren't covered in colored plastics.

Natheo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I picked up an Antec Nine Hundred not too long ago to replace an againg Thermaltake Xaser III (huge steel enclosure, nice but heavy and...did I mention huge?) And I love the antec so far, can be a bit cramped inside but lightweight, good construction and the cooling is pretty decent.

[Paragon] on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Natheo wrote: »
    I love Lian-Li. I fucking love Lian-Li

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=50001375%2040000007&Description=Lian-Li&name=Computer%20Cases

They are very sleek. The build quality is superb. Nice to work on and in and with. And they aren't covered in colored plastics.

If you don't want something that could be mistaken for a riced-up honda civic, this is one of your best options.

God DAMN there are some ugly PC cases on Newegg, though... Wow.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I like my Antec P180. Very quiet, looks classy, plenty of bays, and is particularly good at cooling. Not too expensive either.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I picked up a Antec Nine hundred for $60 about a year ago, and it's a pretty solid case, with excellent cooling. I kind of wish I'd waited for a deal on the P180 though, because the air holes on all but the bottom and right sides make placement kind of awkward, and even though the case's fans are pretty quiet, the air holes amplify the noise from video card/CPU fans

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have used the Antec 900 for several builds now. It is just fantastic.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I second Lian Li.

I also had an Antec at one point. It was a steel case. Do not get a steel case.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I use an Antec Sonata III, and I love it. It's steel, which does mean it's heavy as fuck, but goddamn is it solid. It's well laid-out on the inside, aesthetically pleasing on the outside, and it comes with a 500W Antec power supply.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Second the love for the Antec Sonata (mine is a v2). I had to RMA the power supply a few years ago because it started humming, but its been fine ever since. The main thing about it is that when you factor in the PSU, its such a filthy good deal for a decent case.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'd go with an Antec 300, its fairly small, is easy to work in and has great airflow, the sonata line fails hard at those last two points

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    SaltLickSaltLick Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm currently using a Cooler Master Centurion 5 and absolutely love it. It is similar to those Lian Li as it doesn't look horrible and is solidly built. They are priced really well for what you get too.

SaltLick on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Antec P182 (the successor to the P180) gets good reviews all over the place. I just ordered it for my build, unfortunately you just missed the newegg sale on it (it was half off with free shipping).

Newegg was also having a sale one the antec nine hundred, which is also suppose to be a fine case. I don't know if that is over yet.

Just checked, not over yet, but sold out.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    right now I'm using an Apelvia X-Cruiser case. It's not on the same level as what other people are suggesting but it's cheaper.

Smurph on
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Why the suggestion for not getting a steel case? vs aluminum I suppose?

M.D. on
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Steel cases are heavier. Thats pretty much it.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm a fan of Antec cases. Steel cases are a little bit quieter than aluminum, because the panels are heavier.
    Antec 300 - PSU goes on the bottom (upside-down if you have one with a 120mm fan on the bottom) for airflow throughout the entire case. It also has two fans up by where the CPU heatsink will be - one on top and one on the back panel. Top fan has a speed control for quieter operation.

Antec Solo - pretty basic, but the back panel fan has a speed control. It also has these cool elastic suspension things for the hard drives to reduce vibration noise.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I ordered the p182 for all my crap I bought, now I just have to wait for it to get here. Anything shipped to an APO address takes forever :|

M.D. on
  • Options
    alcoholic_engineeralcoholic_engineer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I got a P182 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129025 and love it. Quiet, lots of room and pretty cool as well.

alcoholic_engineer on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    my first place vote goes to the P182. Fantastic case. My second place vote goes to the Antec Three Hundred. Great case as well. Basically if you can afford it, definitely get the P182, if not, go for the Three Hundred. They are both the best cases in their price ranges imo.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    NatheoNatheo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'd like to put in another vote for lian-li because it isn't getting enough.

Natheo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I like Antec for good cheap (for what you get) cases with reliable power supplies (which are usually multi-rail but are also well built and more than capable for most builds.) I like Lian Li for high end cases.

Really you couldn't go wrong with either.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    kpeezykpeezy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Quick question: What do Lian Li cases offer over Antec cases? I'm not sure what I would want to improve on in the P182. Also, Lian Li seems to be more expensive for a similar case.

I've wondered this for years but have never asked.

Edit: For example, comparing the insides of this Lian Li (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112191) with the Antec P182 of the same price (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129025&Tpk=p182) I don't know why I should get the Lian Li. The Lian Li looks just like any other $40 ATX mid tower. I'm truly curious; I don't know tons about the inside architecture of cases.

kpeezy on
    me itt
    SSBB: 5370-1223-4258
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    I love the Antec Sonata III (recommended in the computer build thread). I had a case with an acrylic side, and blue LED's for a few years, and I'm kinda happy with basic clean lines/no frill design of this new case.

The deal sealer for me though, was opening it up and finding out how the hard drives set in it. Why doesn't every fucking case do this these days? No more taking apart the entire case just to get a fucking hard drive out anymore.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    kpeezy wrote: »
    Quick question: What do Lian Li cases offer over Antec cases? I'm not sure what I would want to improve on in the P182. Also, Lian Li seems to be more expensive for a similar case.

I've wondered this for years but have never asked.

Edit: For example, comparing the insides of this Lian Li (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112191) with the Antec P182 of the same price (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129025&Tpk=p182) I don't know why I should get the Lian Li. The Lian Li looks just like any other $40 ATX mid tower. I'm truly curious; I don't know tons about the inside architecture of cases.
    I just graduated from a Lian Li to an Antec p182 and it's night and day between the two. The 182 is just so god damn clever in every area. From the way drives are mounted to the segmented motherboard and PSU areas. To the behind the motherboard wiring space, the fans(3) all coming with their own speed control, easy access front dust screens, the hidden little screws etc. box and so on. The Lian Li only really has the aluminum going for it.

By the way though, Amazon is cheaper at the moment.

ParisInFlames on
    UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
  • Options
    noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The Antec P182b is what my main rig sits in, It's a very nice case for all the reasons already listed, but DAMN heavy. If you are going to lans often, it may not be the best choice.

My server sits in the Antec 300. Amazing case for the money, pretty good cooling... But the build quality isn't the best IMO.

The Centurion 5 is an awesome case for a home pc build because of the PSU included, but in the OPs case, I'd give it a miss.

noobert on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I use the Gigabyte 3D Aurora. Plenty of room to work, feels solid, but extremely light. Looks are a nice plus, too.

Artereis on
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm going with the Antec 300. Great case, low cost. Even comes with a filter for the front intake fans, which is something I thought about adding manually anyway.

I would've gone with Lian-Li, but they're simply too expansive.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    AkimboEG wrote: »
    I'm going with the Antec 300. Great case, low cost. Even comes with a filter for the front intake fans, which is something I thought about adding manually anyway.

For the price you won't be disappointed. However, you may want to look into getting 2 120mm fans for the front of the case.

noobert on
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    noobert wrote: »
    AkimboEG wrote: »

For the price you won't be disappointed. However, you may want to look into getting 2 120mm fans for the front of the case.
    I'm doing just that.

AkimboEG on
  • Options
    KarennaKarenna Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've been rocking the Antec 900 on several cases now since they came out...excellent cooling for sure!

Anyone have a good HTPC case they like?
    I'm looking to put an older Chaintech 7NJS MB in an attractive case for living room WoW, web and Skype vid calls when my main gaming rig has been hijacked by the kids =/

Karenna on
    389eb5ab62e67d83.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Karenna wrote: »
    I've been rocking the Antec 900 on several cases now since they came out...excellent cooling for sure!

Anyone have a good HTPC case they like?
    I'm looking to put an older Chaintech 7NJS MB in an attractive case for living room WoW, web and Skype vid calls when my main gaming rig has been hijacked by the kids =/

This maybe?

It comes in black aswell.

noobert on