As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Under-rated Tournament 3: [56k]

Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Games and Technology
serye4esw.jpg

Yes, Unreal Tournament 3, a massively fun and incredibly fast shooter with great visuals and an excellently optimized engine. Yet nobody talks about. Quietly released last year around this time, the long time await game was released, though it seems it's tech demo turned full game brother has caught most of the attention, people tend to overlook what UT3 is. Now released on all major platforms (sorry wii), I was hoping to pump some new interest into the game.

New graphics cards push the game to unbelieveably incredible amounts of eye candy as can be seen from these screens. I play the game at 1680x1050, no AA, Motion Blur, and full graphics settings. I have a hard time getting it to stutter on my 280GTX. Of course, graphics don't make the game, and while the mutiplayer is somewhat dull compared to GoW, the multiplayer is just unbelievably massive amounts of fun. While it can be easy to get into, there is a huge possibility for honing your skills. Nothing says "I am better than you" than constantly whipping your friends effortlessly in an online shooting cluster-fuck.

And of course the game has it's awesome mods. Some of which tweak weapons to crazy hyper fucking settings, others add fun ass new levels, awesome looking characters, or even adding in an RPG of sorts in which you can level up and spend points for bonuses.

Then there is also the fact that the game is fucking dirt cheap.
PC: $20
PS3: $20
360: $40 (came out earlier this year, which is why it still has not dropped down too much.)

Want more eye candy?

Well see about organizing a game on. I tried before but it seemed that many people were divided up amongst the platforms. What do you guys think about UT3?

Lucky Cynic on

• Options
    Adhesive to plasticAdhesive to plastic Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I still play it with friends. I'd be interested in playing some.

Adhesive to plastic on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    One thing you should know about this game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuNrjeHJk-w

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Aaaaahahahaaaaaaa-gasp-heeeeeheeeeheeeee

Oh my dear lord zombie kittens that is fantastic. haaaaahaaa

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    GibbGibb Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have it for PC, only played it for like a total of 3 hours, spent about 20 hours in the editor. Problem is, that I have no friends to play it with. I'm sure I'd love it if we could get a Penny Arcade match going.

Gibb on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm usually down for some UT3. Of course then Left 4 Dead came out.

Drool on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I loved UT2k4 to death, but the UT3 demo didn't really move me. Maybe the full product is more polished at this point. I wish the Ballistics mod team would port over their work from UT2k4 but I guess they've moved on.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have it for both 360 and PC, unfortunately my 360 can't connect to the internet anymore so PC is the only option for me at the moment. Amazing game though, if you love UT99 or UT2k4 then you should like this one. Not much has changed but that's not always a bad thing.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    PompaPompa Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    didnt someone announce that there was going to be an update for this? probably something in the line of the bonus packs we normally see for the other UT's, i cant find the quote right now, but im sure that would bring alot of people back to this game.

Pompa on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    FreddyD wrote: »
    I loved UT2k4 to death, but the UT3 demo didn't really move me. Maybe the full product is more polished at this point. I wish the Ballistics mod team would port over their work from UT2k4 but I guess they've moved on.

Well, it is $20...

Plus there are a shit ton of awesome mods. The game is a bit different in some respects but the entire thing is one huge improvement....

I just wish they would make Unreal 3... Not the tournament but the actual shooting game.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My goodness I love this game. So fast paced and fun, but sucky since I only play with bots.

I'd love to play with some of you people, my name on there is the same as my Live tag.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I got the demo last year, but I dunno - I think I'd rather play the original Unreal. The guns and gameplay are pretty much exactly the same.

But, for only $20 ...

Daemonion on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Been a fan of the series since I picked up GOTY 99.

This one broke my heart

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I bought the game but never played it beyond a few hours. For PC of course.

Whats the word on the mods? Anything that must be checked out?

Smashism on
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I liked it and still own it for the PS3. I wish more game devs would allow KB&M like this does on the PS3. Haven't played it in a while only because I have about 15 other games I'm currently working on.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is there splitscreen for the PS3 version?

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Is there splitscreen for the PS3 version?

I get off of work in an hour and a half, I'll get back to you on it :)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Thank you. :D

Ah man, gotta love Unreal tournament. I heard that the bots in 3 aren't as good as classic or 2k4 though?

On a completely off-topic note though,
    do you know any good splitscreen shooter games to rent for the PS3?

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The bots are pretty much fodder, but it's still fun to gib them now and then. I'm not certain if it's the weapons or their aim, or both, but they sure died pretty.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Daemonion wrote: »
    I got the demo last year, but I dunno - I think I'd rather play the original Unreal. The guns and gameplay are pretty much exactly the same.

But, for only $20 ...

Hahahaha, what?

Just pick it up, for $20, I doubt you will complain.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Smashism wrote: »
    So I bought the game but never played it beyond a few hours. For PC of course.

Whats the word on the mods? Anything that must be checked out?

Fuck yes! They had a $1M competition for making cool mods called "Make something Unreal". There is a listing at Makesomethingunreal.com I think. Just check out what seems interesting, download, read the readme, and enjoy.

Guys, I'm telling you, go out there and check out some of these awesome player made maps. There is even a community map pack and servers that run that shit.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    So, then these mods would also work on the PS3 version right?

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    They have to be 'cooked' for the PS3. Some mods are a bit too extreme to be done on the PS3 but if you look on the UT3 forums, most of the good mods and simpler mods can be had for the PS3.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    bombboybombboy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Splitscreen is 360 only.

As for UT3 on the PS3, I played the hell out of it... :)

bombboy on
    XBL - BombBoyGT | PSN - BombBoyGT | Steam - BombBoy | BF4
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If someone remade the Assault gametype, I would buy this.

Loss of assault was a deal-breaker for me. YES LAUGH AT ME. But DAMN I loved me some assault.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I made a thread about this last month or so, but: I picked up two copies of 360 version on a whim because I wanted something to play online with my old college roommate, who has a 360 and plays it very casually (bouts of CoD4 are really all he does with the machine) and was even considering selling the machine because he doesn't use it. We used to play Q3A and UT on LAN all the goddamned time in college, and that was the last FPS I played on a regular basis.

UT3 is fucking awesome. I'm not an FPS connoisseur or anything, but this was exactly what I was looking for: Brainless, arcadey, fast-paced killing. It feels eerily similar to the original UT with a Gears of War skin over it, and that's all I could ask for.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    MechMantis wrote: »
    If someone remade the Assault gametype, I would buy this.

Loss of assault was a deal-breaker for me. YES LAUGH AT ME. But DAMN I loved me some assault.

There was a number of mods IIRC. Just search the forums, they have all sorts of crazy game type mods.

Sorry, a bit of a necro post, but checking out the unreal forums is crazy. There are literally mods for every square inch of the game.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Unreal Tournament 3 is selling for $9.90 at gogamer.com, shipping is only about $3. Not a bad deal at all. It is easily worth that for the Warfare mode alone.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've loved all of the UT games... up until this one.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I loved al the UT except for this one but I believe the reason behind this is because I always bought the other versios later in there life cycle so I had an abundance of mods and maps. I bought this one day on and the online was scarce and lack of mods sucked more then I realised.

I'm building a new computer very soon as I just ordered some parts (yay i7 920 cpu!) and I'll reinstall on that

The one thing they need to do is get the U4E team to put there weapon and class based mods on this. The Quantum Singularity Generator was the mother fucking best weapon

Dixon on
  • Options
    MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fantastic game. Picked it up originally on PS3, then bought a gamer rig and so got it (very cheap) for PC.

I'm glad a thread was made but tbh it is too late for UT3 for whatever reason. Apparently a new expansion is due but meh I'm quite happy with it as it is. I don't really understand what the big deal is, i find it miles better than ut99 and ut2k4 (and I played both, albeit not a hardcore fan).

I'm just enjoying the mods and some single player botting action. Although, for the last week or so, online has picked up on a few servers.

It is one of the few games that I don't uninstall after a month of playing (along with tf2 and cod4).

Edit: Thanks shitloads for the Elitemachines mutator - so damn fun. Also, any recommendations on announcer replacement voices?

Mangaroo on