As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Does Netflix work on 360 for you?

SamSam Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
I've been getting the service temporarily unavailable thing for more than 24 hours and it works fine on my browser.

Netflix is a shady, shady company, so if this isn't happening to anyone else, I guess they have throttling for watch instantly users. Although I haven't actually watched much Netflix stuff apart from 30 Rock. YEsterday I added a bunch of stuff to my queue, maybe they don't like you adding a bunch of stuff at once.

Sam on

• DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My kids watched Barren Munchhausen this morning... so... yes, it works for me.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yep. Just checked.

urahonky on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Netflix is a bad company? I never heard of them being bad before. The only thing that was close were Post Office employees keeping the DVDs for themselves to watch.

TexiKen on
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yup. Watched The Spy Who Shagged Me this morning.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Netflix is a bad company? I never heard of them being bad before. The only thing that was close were Post Office employees keeping the DVDs for themselves to watch.

Supposedly Netflix starts sending movies at a dramatically slower rate when you rent a large amount.

Since I hardy ever use mine, I can't say if that's true or not :/

chasehatesbears on
  • WootloopsWootloops Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Works fine on my end.

I gotta say I'm a little disappointed in their selection for HD when it comes to watch instantly. Extremely disappointed, actually. I don't recognize most of the movies listed first hand, except for Pans Labyrinth and maybe one or two others. That's fine, though, since I'm all for seeing off the beaten track type films - but they should at least have some more mainstream stuff on there as well - if only to increase initial interest.

Their television selection sucks too, in my opinion.

Other than that, though, everything works without a hitch.

Wootloops on
    steam_sig.png
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well, my GF uses it constantly, and she's never complained about slow service.

I have her account sync to my xbox, and man I love that service. Just wish all movies were available(though I can see why they wouldn't)

noir_blood on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

The "shady company" thing is coming from that time when NetFlix was "throttling" the high demand movies and sending the popular ones out to people that didn't rent as many. And so if you were paying Netflix the highest price per month to rent the most movies per month, then you might not get the latest/hottest releases until all those other people with the cheaper accounts that rent fewer per month have had their go with the movies. NetFlix did this so that they wouldn't have to keep stock of as many DVDs. But the people paying NetFlix the most money were the ones getting screwed. There was some kind of classaction lawsuit over it I think.

slash000 on
  • JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sam wrote: »
    I've been getting the service temporarily unavailable thing for more than 24 hours and it works fine on my browser.

Netflix is a shady, shady company, so if this isn't happening to anyone else, I guess they have throttling for watch instantly users. Although I haven't actually watched much Netflix stuff apart from 30 Rock. YEsterday I added a bunch of stuff to my queue, maybe they don't like you adding a bunch of stuff at once.

I think Sony and shows are blocked on the X360 and the result of trying to watch said movies and shows is a service temporarily unavailable message IIRC.

*EDIT* This site has alot of information that might help you guys out when it comes to Netflix. http://www.hackingnetflix.com/

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Never had problems here.

Ranced on
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    JamesDM wrote: »

I think Sony and shows are blocked on the X360 and the result of trying to watch said movies and shows is a service temporarily unavailable message IIRC.

Sony movies aren't blocked anymore and tv shows were never blocked.

Ranced on
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Just finished watching The Orphanage no problems. Good movie btw :)

aBlank on
  • dasnoobdasnoob ArkansasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Haven't had any problems at all here. Been watching a couple of movies a day. Still have a few dozen in the instant queue and another dozen or so in the dvd queue.

dasnoob on
  • DagrabbitDagrabbit Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It always starts me at 4 bars for quality, then dumps me to YouTube quality after about 10 minutes. It didn't do that on my PC before the Xbox launch, but now my PC version is pretty slow as well. I'm pretty close to not bothering with it any more.

Dagrabbit on
  • wishdawishda Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Movies come through here without any major problemsand I use it pretty often. The only issue I've had is that it will pause and drop the quality if I'm downloading something else with my computer, which makes sense. I've been a Netflix customer for years and I've always found them to be a stand-up company.

Gotta keep in mind that, when you are talking about problems with Netflix, you also may be dealing with networking issues in your home, problems from your local service provider and hardware issues with your modem, wiring, routers and Xboxes. That means, for some people, the service is never going to work well and for others there will never be a problem.

wishda on
    edited November 2008
    Wootloops wrote: »
    Works fine on my end.

I gotta say I'm a little disappointed in their selection for HD when it comes to watch instantly. Extremely disappointed, actually. I don't recognize most of the movies listed first hand, except for Pans Labyrinth and maybe one or two others. That's fine, though, since I'm all for seeing off the beaten track type films - but they should at least have some more mainstream stuff on there as well - if only to increase initial interest.

I'm not sure why, but the suggestions on the Watch It Now pages are horrible. They not only don't show all the movies available on the service, but they also seem to focus on the crappier ones.

The general rule on how to get the most out of Netflix is to go shopping for movies that you want to watch. Fill up the regular queue without regard to what's available on Watch It Now. You'll find that a decent percentage is available to watch now and, if you wait a bit, more of your queue will become available for streaming.

My biggest gripe with the way the system now functions is that streamable movies don't automatically show in your Watch It Now Queue. You have to check both queues to determine what's available to watch instantly.

wishda on
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Called customer service, turns out I had to delete the netflix app and reactivate my box.

I'm surprised they actually have customer service now. I was a subscriber a couple years ago and when I tried calling them I would be put on hold for upwards of 25 minutes- I didn't wait any longer than that before deciding to cancel. They have me back on their ghetto plan mainly because of streaming.

Sam on
    edited November 2008
    wishda wrote: »
    Wootloops wrote: »
    Works fine on my end.

I'm not sure why, but the suggestions on the Watch It Now pages are horrible. They not only don't show all the movies available on the service, but they also seem to focus on the crappier ones.

The general rule on how to get the most out of Netflix is to go shopping for movies that you want to watch. Fill up the regular queue without regard to what's available on Watch It Now. You'll find that a decent percentage is available to watch now and, if you wait a bit, more of your queue will become available for streaming.

My biggest gripe with the way the system now functions is that streamable movies don't automatically show in your Watch It Now Queue. You have to check both queues to determine what's available to watch instantly.

The problem with that is just about anything I could think of searching for is DVD only.

Sam on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Supposedly Netflix starts sending movies at a dramatically slower rate when you rent a large amount.

I have been with netflix for years, and NEVER had an issue with them.

Evander on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008

They're not a shady, shady company, and in my experience they don't throttle shit. At my peak, I was getting six movies a week from my three-out-at-a-time plan, and now that it's working on 360, I've watched a good 20-30 hours of content which ranges from DVD quality to AVI quality.

If you're having issues, it's not because Netflix is some evil monolithic company.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited November 2008

It's not. Like I said in my above post, at my peak when I first got the service, I had the 3-at-a-time plan, and was getting six movies a week, consistently for about three months straight.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited November 2008
    Evander wrote: »

I have been with netflix for years, and NEVER had an issue with them.

Me either. The company also routinely tops customer satisfaction lists, so we're not the exceptions:

http://www.bizreport.com/2007/01/netflixcom_first_for_customer_satisfaction.html

wishda on
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Doesn't work for me.

Because I'm in Europe.

Bastards.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ranced wrote: »

When did that happen?

tofu on
  • WembleyWembley Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    tofu wrote: »

When did that happen?

Spider-Man 3 is still listed as not available on xbox for me. Although, some might argue that that's a good thing. Drunken Master is no longer blocked, though. Not sure if that means anything or not.

Wembley on
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    In cases where throttling is suspected, the ISP is a more likely culprit than Netflix themselves.

Playback works well in general, although on the PC it still requires IE or an IE plugin for Firefox. On the 360, I had trouble resuming playback of Das Boot and had to continue it on the PC, but that's a very long movie and FF/Rew never worked well on it, so it's not a good test case.

Tiemler on
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dagrabbit wrote: »
    It always starts me at 4 bars for quality, then dumps me to YouTube quality after about 10 minutes. It didn't do that on my PC before the Xbox launch, but now my PC version is pretty slow as well. I'm pretty close to not bothering with it any more.

They really, really, fucking really need a quality setting in their 360 viewer. Give us a choice about the amount of bandwidth we want to use - 100% to 25% in increments of 5% or something. Whatever their streaming technology will support.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Watched No Country for Old Men this morning, so it worked then.

What concerns me more is the absolute shit that they have for selection.

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Supposedly, the Netflix/Live partnership has been such a runaway success that the studios are renegotiating their contracts with an eye towards increasing the instant selection. One can only hope.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Watched 4 movies last night at great quality. Already gotten my $9 a month out of it in a day's time.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited December 2008
    Well Netflix basically acknowledged that they throttle customers, and had to pay out a class action suit with a month of free Netflix to all subscribers who signed up before they changed the terms of service. (Read ToS)
    I had a 2 week blackout- I don't remember exactly how many I was renting but it wasn't more than 6 a week, probably less. I would probably have one week in the month where I'd send more stuff back.
    In any case, I'm not gonna get throttled again because I don't see myself getting more than DVD's a week as long as there's something decent on WI. The trouble with watch instant right now is that its really easy to run out of stuff to watch :P

Sam on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wembley wrote: »
    tofu wrote: »

When did that happen?

Spider-Man 3 is still listed as not available on xbox for me. Although, some might argue that that's a good thing. Drunken Master is no longer blocked, though. Not sure if that means anything or not.

The vast majority of stuff that was blocked is unblocked, but there are still a few blockbusters that won't work on 360. Walk Hard, We Own The Night, and Paprika are the ones on my watch list that wouldn't work.

And if they're restricted like that, the box art doesn't even show up in the "cover flow" movie viewer.

freakish light on
    edited December 2008
    warder808 wrote: »
    Watched No Country for Old Men this morning, so it worked then.

What concerns me more is the absolute shit that they have for selection.

Which is funny, because the selection has gotten so much better since the 360 deal went through. Instant Viewing used to be completely and utterly worthless.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I haven't gone farther than the free trial because of the terrible selection. I'll put up the cheddar if it improves considerably (I would be happy if half of the movies available on DVD were the instant selection, and not the terrible half as it is now).

Hoz on
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've never had any problems with Netflix and have always received excellent service. I'm looking forward to trying it on my 360.

rayofash on