As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Metal Slug Anthology Wii or PS2

DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
So I have always been a big fan of Metal Slug, but I never owned any of them before. There is an anthology available that collects almost every single game in the series. Apparently the Wii version is different from the PS2 version. The wiki says the ps2 has the original graphics. Is this better or worse than the Wii?

DouglasDanger on

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Most people agree that you're better off with the PS2 version, mostly because of the Dual Shock 2.

The Wii version is fine but some people have a problem with 'flicking' the wiimote to throw a grenade (horizontal wiimote nes-pad position controls), while others have a problem using the GameCube controller's analog stick. Personally I find both the horizontal wiimote+flick to be perfectly adequate and the GCN controller perfectly good for the game as well.

However, since they're both essentially the same game, and you have the option to choose between either, the PS2 version is the way to go, Because you get the good PS2 pad and buttons. If you don't own a PS2 at all, the Wii version is still a great game, if you don't mind using a GCN pad, or don't mind doing a little quick-flick for grenades.

IIRC this is on PSP as well if you'd like to take it "on the go."

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Hm. I have a ps2 and a Wii. The ps2 sounds like the better version, so I will get that one. Thanks Slash.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I didn't like any of the control options for the Wii one, but I hear the VC Slug's have CC support.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I think there are only 2 or 3 out so far, probably at 500 or 800 pts apiece. That's 5 or 8 dollars for each, right? I found the ps2 version of the anthology for 15 bucks, so that is a better deal. I probably go that way.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah there's no good reason to get them individually at all, it's way more expensive.

I have both a Wii and PS2, got the Wii version, nothing particularly wrong with it. Some people can't stand the controls, I beat every game with them just fine. PS2 controller is solid, GC controller is solid, either is great. Actually I'd buy it for whichever system it's more accessible on, what you've got fully set up more often.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I have them both plugged in and hooked up. I haven't turned on my ps2 in months though. I feel kind of bad. I guess you can't use the D-pad on the GCN con? Some nerd reviewing it on Youtube was furious about this. Is it really that big of a deal?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wasn't there an issue on one version of this (I believe it was the Wii version), where a certain boss wouldn't 'flash' when you hit the weak point, or something?

Sir Platypus on
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My roommate got the Metal Slug Anthology for Wii and I later purchased it on PS2. Both collections are fine, and you should base your decision on whether you prefer the Gamecube or the PS2 pads. I personally felt as if both worked great.

There are some slight differences in emulation (as mentioned above, the Wii version has bosses that don't flash when hit), and I seem to remember that the method of unlocking bonus material is different. But both contain seven awesome games, and lots of extra content. I hope you enjoy whichever one you end up buying.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wasn't there an issue on one version of this (I believe it was the Wii version), where a certain boss wouldn't 'flash' when you hit the weak point, or something?

If I remember correctly when the Wii version of MSA first came out, several people emailed SNK USA about the flashing and lack of Classic Controller support. The response was something along the lines that Nintendo made them alter the flashing and that Classic Controller hardware was not provided on time for the game's release in the States.

Cobell on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I liked the PS2 version because I could use my arcade stick with it.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
This discussion has been closed.