As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good Folding Knife for everyday use

IloroKamouIloroKamou Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey, so I'm looking to purchase a good folding pocket knife, preferably not serrated, for everyday use. Durability is important, looking for something with a blade length around 3 inches, clothing clip would be nice, length folded no more than around 4-5 inches. Anyone have any good suggestions? Price range is fairly flexible, I don't mind paying around 60-70 for a good knife.

"There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts."
IloroKamou on

• Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sarcastro on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Winchester, Surgical Steel.

Had it for almost a decade. Sharpens great.

Have used it as a cutting utensil to a screwdriver. Not a single knick on it.

Sheep on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    IloroKamou wrote: »
    Hey, so I'm looking to purchase a good folding pocket knife, preferably not serrated, for everyday use. Durability is important, looking for something with a blade length around 3 inches, clothing clip would be nice, length folded no more than around 4-5 inches. Anyone have any good suggestions? Price range is fairly flexible, I don't mind paying around 60-70 for a good knife.

Ive had an old spyderco for 14 years, though now I hear they've moved most manufacturing for the low-mid stuff to china and the durability has gone to shit.

If you are willing to spend a little more, Benchmade is really where it's at. They make some really expensive stuff, but also some reasonable stuff...

I'd recommend you get a cs30v blade and a light acrylic sharpening rod. 440c stainless is okay too...

Benchmade for 100$

I have to say at 50-70$ you're skirting the line between quality and crap, I'd drop an extra 30$ and get something you know is decent.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    GrimmGrimm Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I usually stick with gerber myself.

Grimm on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Grimm wrote: »
    I usually stick with gerber myself.

If you end out with a Gerber or Spyderco... really do the research on where it was made, they used to be all manufactured in Germany, Japan and the USA but now a lot of the bargain models are made in China and Taiwan... and for 60-70$ I'd be very suspect.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    Rotting MeatRotting Meat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What's the legal blade size limit for a knife? (Canada here)

Rotting Meat on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    just keep an eye on steapandcheap.com

they have knifes on there all the time. i like columbia river knife technology myself

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    BoutrosBoutros Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My brother has a Benchmade Griptilian (that I got him for his birthday a couple of years ago) that is insanely awesome, nice looking, sharp, and easy to open with one hand. I have a Kershaw Ken Onion something or other that I rather like, it holds an edge well but is not easily opened with one hand. I've got a CRKT M14 that is cool but just too big, a 3.5 incher might be more reasonable, but I still prefer the kershaw or benchmade.

Boutros on
  • Options
    fuelishfuelish Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I use one of these:
    31990456.jpg

Cheap, super sharp blades that are easy to replace, lock back, pocket clip. Also, cheap.

fuelish on
    Another day in the bike shop Pretty much what it sounds like. The secret lifestyle, laid open.
  • Options
    frank as fuckfrank as fuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Sarcastro wrote: »

This man knows what he is talking about.

frank as fuck on
  • Options
    NatheoNatheo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I really like the SOG assisted opening knives.

http://sogknives.com/store/FSA-8.html

I have one of those. But I cannot really disagree with anything said here either. Just make sure you actually go and take a look at them.

Natheo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I would take a look at the Cold Steel brand of knives. They come in a lot of diffrent styles and all the ones I've seen and own are of excellent quality and durability.

*edit*
    Heres my favorite Cold steel knife
    Triple Action

Its a wonderous pocket knife. Once you get a feel for the triple action you can open and close it with a flick of the wrist. I got the Tanto version and the blade is sharp as can be and its built really solid. Price tag might be only deterant but check your local knife stores or ebay and you can probably get it for about half.

Got mine for 50 bucks cause it was the stores last one and there was a minor ding on the blade from customers flipping it open like jackasses and treating it like a butterfly. Guy was cool for giving a huge discount and he took it in the back and honed the edge and you can't even tell the ding was there.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Natheo wrote: »
    I really like the SOG assisted opening knives.

http://sogknives.com/store/FSA-8.html

I have one of those. But I cannot really disagree with anything said here either. Just make sure you actually go and take a look at them.

Ive actually got a SOG multi-tool on order and may get a assisted knife for everyday carry. I have a Benchmade Nakamura which is gorgeous and light but it cost too much to carry at work where people get stuff stolen all the time.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Gerber are really nice.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    fuelish wrote: »
    I use one of these:
    31990456.jpg

Cheap, super sharp blades that are easy to replace, lock back, pocket clip. Also, cheap.

... This is not the correct thread for that.

Personally, I use a $25 Gerber that's built like a well-built bit of sharp metal.

TL DR on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    I bought a fairly cheap gerber, it was around $20 and out of the pack it was very sharp. I do not plan on gutting dear or climbing a mountain with this knife so it is perfect for what I need it for.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    RetoxRetox Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Benchmade makes some great knives in the size your looking for, and they'll hold an edge longer than a Gerber or even a CRKT (Though CRKT makes some really nice knives too). Benchmades are expensive but durabe and all that good stuff. I personally don't like Spiderco, but that's purely an aesthetic thing.

This is the knife I carry around with me.
    http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=551

Retox on
  • Options
    MorinokoMorinoko Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    IloroKamou, here are some options:

* Buck Alpha Dorado. You can get it with wood or rubber handle.
    * Spyderco Delica, Plain Edge
    * CRKT M16
    * Victorinox Farmer
    * Victorinox Bantam, really low profile, very small

Morinoko on
  • Options
    Marcus BrodyMarcus Brody Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Another +1 for Benchmade...after owning mine, I wouldn't buy anything else. Some models can be had for $60-$70 if you look around. I did a fair bit of research on blade steel before buying one, and they seem to use better stuff than CRKT and Sog (not sure about Gerber). The Axis lock is pretty damn neat too.

Also, the company has something where you can send the knife in to them, and for $5 they'll sharpen it and do a little inspection/retune.

Marcus Brody on
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Benchmade for life!

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I choose a victorinox camper as my daily knife.
    It doesn't look as tough and hunter-esque as most knives advised here, but the blades are descent, the craftmanship sturdy, and the versatility unmatched. dual knives (i like to keep the small one extra-sharp), screwdriver, tweezers, toothpick...

Also, it folds up nicely, nothing sticking out (stupid beltclips..).
    I like the smooth look. Great and friendly for everyday use.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    pinenut_canarypinenut_canary Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Spyderco and Benchmade are all great knives. Right now I'm carrying around a Kershaw. A friend of mine who's in the Army has one as well, and he did service in Iraq, and he said that he used the knife every day and was a life saver.

It probably isn't as good as the other knives, but it's a bit cheaper and well made.

Also, if it matters at all, Alton Brown uses Shun kitchen knives (Kai is the parent company of Kershaw and Shun) and I've seen him use his Kershaw quite a few times on Good Eats and Feasting on Asphalt/Waves. Wikipedia also says that he likes to use Spyderco.

pinenut_canary on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Canadian law is extremely blade friendly. Its all about the public perception of intent, rather than the actual weapon. If the weapon is seen as a threat, then it is illegal under that circumstance, and the authorities have the right to confiscate it.

You can carry katana around on the bus, and as long as no one thinks you're a threat you're fine. It's a bit double edged though, even your two inch blade can get you into trouble if someone freaks out about it.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I use one of these:
    31990456.jpg

Personally, I use a $25 Gerber that's built like a well-built bit of sharp metal.

Explain why.
    That is a folding lock back pocket knife. It has been used daily by a mechanic(me) for about three years, with no problems, cutting reinforced hose, plastic, cardboard, copper sheet, shingles, etc. It is inexpensive, will cut thru anything you would cut with gerber/coldsteel etc. and do a better job because box blades tend to be really fucking sharp. If you screw up and hit a nail or staple just flip the blade or replace it. About the only task it would be innapropriate for is stabbing someone because the blade is only about an inch long.

I have some badass highdollar lockbacks, but I don't carry them because this works better for everyday and I also don't stab people that often.

fuelish on
    Another day in the bike shop Pretty much what it sounds like. The secret lifestyle, laid open.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I use one of these:
    31990456.jpg

Explain why.
    That is a folding lock back pocket knife. It has been used daily by a mechanic(me) for about three years, with no problems, cutting reinforced hose, plastic, cardboard, copper sheet, shingles, etc. It is inexpensive, will cut thru anything you would cut with gerber/coldsteel etc. and do a better job because box blades tend to be really fucking sharp. If you screw up and hit a nail or staple just flip the blade or replace it. About the only task it would be innapropriate for is stabbing someone because the blade is only about an inch long.

I have some badass highdollar lockbacks, but I don't carry them because this works better for everyday and I also don't stab people that often.

Some people's version of 'everyday' is different than others. I took the OP to mean casual use, rather than actual everyday use. If you're cutting cardboard, paper or carpet for hours everyday for example, the above is a great tool of choice. If you're going to be hard on your knife, replaceable blades are the shit.

If youre just carrying around a pocket knife because, hey, its handy, then spring a couple bucks and get something durable, and if youre into it, learn how to sharpen.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    BoutrosBoutros Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I use one of these:
    31990456.jpg

Explain why.

That's a liner lock not a lockback fyi.

Boutros on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Boutros wrote: »
    That's a liner lock not a lockback fyi.

I had to look up the difference. This is also a plus. I had a lockback Buck unlock while applying a lot of pressure and it spun and tried to remove my pinky(Missed the joint and got stuck in the carpal bone) The lock on this is out of the way when you are using the blade and better guarded than the release on some of my other knives.

fuelish on
  • Options
    EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sarcastro wrote: »

Canadian law is extremely blade friendly. Its all about the public perception of intent, rather than the actual weapon. If the weapon is seen as a threat, then it is illegal under that circumstance, and the authorities have the right to confiscate it.

You can carry katana around on the bus, and as long as no one thinks you're a threat you're fine. It's a bit double edged though, even your two inch blade can get you into trouble if someone freaks out about it.

Very true, you also can't carry,
    Bill C68 wrote:
    (a) a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife

One handed opening via ridges or holes on the blade are ok.

You can read one person's interpretation of Bill C68 here. They also link to the entire bill if you feel like reading all that.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've had real good luck with kershaws

they are sharp, sturdy, and moderately priced. I have this one and use it daily.

You'd want to avoid any kershaw that says "Speedsafe" (Tm) on it - they skirt the ragged edge of US switchblade law pretty close.

JohnnyCache on