As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Suggest me some games I might like, please.

LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
OK, so far I've played Portal, which I absolutely loved (both with Lewie's help, then on my own) Prof. Layton on DS (which doesn't really count cos its a puzzle), a bit of Lego Batman on my PS3 (which I use as a hard drive recorder thingy for my TV), a bit of Super Mario Galaxy on Wii (with help) and World of Goo on my PC, which again I loved, and am re-playing to get OCD on all levels.

The problem I have is not enough fingers - normal right hand, left with 3 1" webbed fingers sharing 1 knuckle, a 1" finger with a knuckle and a rigid 1" thumb. Playing Portal was tricky on my PC, but Lewie sorted out the keyboard for me. Playing Lego Batman was hard cos I can't hold the controller with my left hand, and kept catching the buttons on the front with my right hand by accident. I can used the joystick thingy with my webbed fingers, and the arrow keys with my tright hand. On Wii, I had to hold the controller with my knees to catch stars - I've thought of taping it to my leg to get over the lack of holding ability. I can play Wii sports no bother (but then who can't?). I've played Guitar Hero - I play acoustic guitar left handedly IRL, and found Guitar Hero frustrating cos its nothing like playing guitar. I can play Donkey Kong - I also play jembe IRL.

TLDR: Tell me some accessible games, I have PS3, DS, PC and access to Wii when Lewie is home.

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
LewieP's Mummy on

• yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hmm...How about some turn-based stuff? Final Fantasy Tactics and the like. A lot of the DS ones let you play primarily from the touchscreen, and it would mean you wouldn't have to worry much about things like reacting as quickly.

You might be able to get the original off the PSN.

yalborap on
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    flOw on PS3, maybe? I don't recall it needing a lot of button inputs... someone might correct me but I think it's all motion sensing and then like maybe 1 or 2 buttons?

Uhhh... Eye of Judgement? It's a card game, no idea if you're in to that or not.

Humm... I'll keep thinking, and edit this post if I come up with any more.

Here is a trailer for flOw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5YPMU5dFJA

edit: PixelJunk Monsters? I recall that one having fairly simple controls. I'm not sure about the other PixelJunk games, someone else will have to comment on those.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Have you tried the Baldur's Gate series? You can control those games entirely with a mouse.

Cinders on
  • MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The Ouendan and Elite Beat Agents series for the DS are controlled solely by the stylus. The most comfortable way to play them is to rest the DS on a solid surface rather than in your hand, so they are well suited to one-handed play.

They're rhythm games where you play a crack team of manly problem solvers, who come to the aid of those in trouble and lift their spirits through the power of dance. How well they dance to the music determines the outcomes of the scenarios, which range from a little boy with bedwetting problems to saving the galaxy from fun-hating aliens. It's very silly, very colourful, and very fun. It's also very difficult, though they all have four difficulty settings, so you should be able to find one to your liking.

Gameplay is simple. Circles appear in patterns across the touch screen, and you have to tap them in time with the music. You can find gameplay videos all over YouTube; they'll likely all be of playing on the highest difficulty setting, but don't be put off by that. The easy and normal modes are much slower, with bigger circles to hit.

The Ouendan games are import only. Elite Beat Agents has been out for a long time, and can be had online for less than ten pounds.

Mumblyfish on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Thank you! You people are amazingly wonderful, I've set Lewie the task of sorting me some of these, thank you everyone.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    yalborap wrote: »
    Hmm...How about some turn-based stuff? Final Fantasy Tactics and the like. A lot of the DS ones let you play primarily from the touchscreen, and it would mean you wouldn't have to worry much about things like reacting as quickly.

Tactics A2 hardly has any touchscreen functionality I think, but there's nothing really time-sensitive in it so the button controls are pretty easy

Green on
  • Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Green wrote: »

Tactics A2 hardly has any touchscreen functionality I think, but there's nothing really time-sensitive in it so the button controls are pretty easy

Green do you post on Vgcats as well?

Also, somthing in the Civ series?

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
    edited November 2008
    Thank you! You people are amazingly wonderful, I've set Lewie the task of sorting me some of these, thank you everyone.

No problem. :)

Another thing I might suggest is looking into an arcade stick. It's just a simple controller designed like the controls of an arcade game, and plugs right into the console of choice. You might have an easier time managing the buttons and controls with one of those.

yalborap on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Since you liked Layton I'd suggest games like Phoenix Wright, Trace Memory, and Hotel Dusk. They aren't like Layton entirely because that was a collection of puzzles but they are adventure games where you have to think and solve other types of puzzles. I think all of them are stylus controlled too. Just don't expect to have to figure out how to arrange matchsticks to look like roadkill when you try to open your suitcase or present evidence.

Gilder on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you liked Professor Layton you might enjoy the Phoenix Wright games.

edit -beat'd

earthwormadam on
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You might give Okami a try on the Wii? The major gameplay mechanic is drawing shapes on-screen.

Like so:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/32866.html

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Anything turn based might be a good idea, but at the same time I imagine you don't want something masochistically difficult either. You could try the likes of Disgaea, which is quite good and being turn based shouldn't be demanding on the reflexes etc. Same goes for things like Galactic Civilisations and Civilisation 4.

I can't really think of anything else Portal like on the PC that would suit. It's sort of in its own genre.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you have any interest in turn based strategy games, Civilization 3 or 4 are right up there in terms of awesome, as are Heroes of Might and Magic 3,4 or 5. 3 is from 1998 or so, so be ready to see pixles galore.

Jutranjo on
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Darwinia and Multiwinia are primarily mouse based RTS-esque games that are extremely easy to pick up and play.
    Both are available on steam for $14.99.

chasehatesbears on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Audiosurf on steam might be a nice title. What it does is, you select an mp3 file and it designs a track based on that file. The object of the game varies as well as the difficulty level but the basic premise is gathering colored blocks for points. You can also play just using the mouse. On top of that, your score gets uploaded to the main server and you can compete with others that have played that song as well as try to beat your best score. This is available on Steam for 10 dollars.

The adventure genre might also be something you might want to look into as it revolves more around telling a story around a point and click interface. Also if you happen to hit a wall you can always go to gamefaqs and look up the solution to the current area/puzzle you're trying to solve. Dreamfall: The longest journey is probably one of my favorites and there's also The Longest Journey, which is the first game in the series. If you're going to be grabbing these off Steam, be wary of the "Adventure" section as it does encompass games that are outside of the genre I described.

Meiz on
  • MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Valkyria Chronicles maybe. Try out the demo to see if it's accessable enough. The nice thing about the game is that when you go into firing mode time stops. There are a few spots that could be troubling if your not able to end your turn fast enough so give it a try.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • milathmilath Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    A couple off the top of my head controlled by the mouse alone that my girlfriends have enjoyed:

Strange Attractors 2 (gravity based puzzle game)
    Sam and Max series (comedy adventure games)

I'll second The Longest Journey, Dreamfall: TLJ2 and Civilization 4, the latter of which can use mods to become more space sim or more medieval fantasy sim depending on your tastes.

milath on
    steam_sig.png
    "No.. I was wrong. This must be what going mad feels like."

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Another thing I might suggest is looking into an arcade stick. It's just a simple controller designed like the controls of an arcade game, and plugs right into the console of choice. You might have an easier time managing the buttons and controls with one of those.

I had a regular customer at Gamestop who was crippled and couldn't use his left arm. He used an arcade stick and loved it, until the PS2 days, when he couldn't anymore. Remember, most games require analog input, so the arcade stick simply doesn't work.

He was pissed too. :(

People were suggesting mouse-driven games, so what about strategy titles? Warcraft or Starcraft for the real time games, and Heroes of Might and Magic III for some turn based awesome?

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Chrono Trigger DS can be played with only the touch screen, surprisingly enough. It seems to work pretty well, although I haven't tried much walking around with the touch screen, I just know you can do it.

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    Green wrote: »

Green do you post on Vgcats as well?

Not in the slightest

Green on
  • JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'll second Elite Beat Agents.

Really, any game that can be controlled entirely by touch screen would be a good choice, but these are the highest quality ones I can think of, off the top of my head.

It is a rhythm game, so it doesn't really fit into the types of games you listed, but the design philosophy behind it is that it's supposed to be playable by anyone. (It is part of the Touch Generation series of games that all share that philosophy, and its poppy music selection is done to increase the audience size.)

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Some great suggestions guys, thanks.

I will also say (although you already know this) the PC release of Braid is not too far away.

LewieP on
  • evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I believe the Trackmania series is arrow keys only, plus the usual restart, quit, etc keys. (Except for the track-building mode, of course, but that's mostly mouse-driven.)

Super Monkey Ball?

evilmrhenry on
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Is your PS3 a BC model? If so, Raiden III could be a good buy. I enjoyed it, anyway. And it can be played one-handed with ease.

Also, I think as far as accessible controls go, Ben Heck nailed it.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
    edited December 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I had a regular customer at Gamestop who was crippled and couldn't use his left arm. He used an arcade stick and loved it, until the PS2 days, when he couldn't anymore. Remember, most games require analog input, so the arcade stick simply doesn't work.

He was pissed too. :(

People were suggesting mouse-driven games, so what about strategy titles? Warcraft or Starcraft for the real time games, and Heroes of Might and Magic III for some turn based awesome?

I've seen a handful where you can set the stick to emulate left/right stick input.

yalborap on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Have you tried Peggle? Because it is probably the most accessible game in existence.

If your PS3 is backwards compatible and you enjoy puzzle games, I recommend Bombastic. It can be played with the dpad only.

Switchball is analog stick only, I believe. It's on the PC.

FreddyD on
  • SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mouse-driven games: I'll second the Baldur's Gate series (on the PC... the Dark Alliance things on consoles fucking sucked, and don't apply anyway), with Baldur's Gate 2 being the best of them. Actually, pretty much any Infinity Engine game from the late 90s/early 2000s era. Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, etc.

Also Fallout 1 and 2.

Though given the games you listed, I'm not sure any of these are up your alley.

Something you might try, since it sounds like you have a Wii, are the Strongbad games on WiiWare. They're point n' click "adventure" games, good fun if you're a fan of Homestarrunner. If you're not... well, I'd still recommend them. They're played entirely with the Wiimote, no nunchuck or anything. There are little "mini-games" where you might have trouble, but if I remember correctly, they're 100% optional or unimportant. I don't even bother with them myself.

Also, for PC games where you'd prefer just to use a joystick or half of a USB controller or whatever, you might want to google Joy2Key. It's a program that lets you map keyboard and mouse input onto devices, to sort of "trick" games into thinking you're playing normally. It's got some limitations, but I haven't run into them yet.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That first Kirby game on the DS, the one that is controlled with stylus only. That one could work. And I just finished Zelda: Phantom Hourglass on the DS. It's also stylus-only. I would recommend it.

Renzo on