As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX & Labor Day Weekend

koduzakoduza Registered User new member
edited May 2009 in PAX Archive
Previous PAX's did not fall on Laborday Weekend. Can we please avoid having PAX contend in a battle royal for our attention on the busiest weekend of the summer?

Seriously? Between Bum-Shoot, Burningman, vacations, family reunions, and all the crap people do on the last long weekend of Summer, I would hate to wave good bye to PAX attendance because it wants to compete for the hearts of an already conflicted single threaded Labor Day populous.

August is an Awesome month - please keep PAX nicely sandwiched between Defcon and Laborday. :)

koduza on

• EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    PAX has been characteristically the last weekend of August. Due to chaotic lunar cycles, this was also Labor Day Weekend in 2008. Looking at a calender, this should not occur again in the near future.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • SkinnaySkinnay Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    if the attendance at PAX this year was reduced due to labor day... i don't even want to imagine what it would have been like any other weekend lol

Skinnay on
    I'm Awesome!!!
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    koduza wrote: »
    please keep PAX nicely sandwiched between Defcon and Laborday. :)

Please keep Labor Day off of PAX weekend. ;)

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Liger wrote: »

ditto

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Liger wrote: »

Somebody talk to Khoo... I think he'll have the power to make it happen.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Keep labor day on pax weekend. that's one of my vacation days I didnt' have to use up for pax :D

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited October 2008
    PAX shouldn't be Labor Day weekend for another 5 years.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Also, of all those things you listed. Pax wins every time.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • taumesontaumeson PAX PC Room Manager Minnesota?Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So, PAX was specifically scheduled on Labor Day 2009:

"Labor Day Weekend, 2009 (September 4th, 5th and 6th)"

taumeson on
    yBfDKg5.png
  • dragon keeper xdragon keeper x Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ya i just noticed that post today. what happened to it always being the last weekend in august? and why would you deliberately pick labor day weekend knowing it will reduce your attendance? they have to have a good reason for this so lets just sit back till we hear something else.

dragon keeper x on
    Max sig size: 500x80px <3 Moe
    sig_dragonx.jpg
    edited November 2008
    It was labor day weekend this year, and attendance was bigger than ever, so I don't think the weekend is reducing attendance.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I actually like it being on Labor day weekend. It gives me a day to sleep that I'd normally need to throw into vacation or sickleave.

You're never going to please everyone with the date of the event, unfortunately, but it suits me. *shrug*

ashridah on
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited November 2008
    The decision to hold PAX on Labor Day weekend going forward is threefold:

1. Given 70% of attendees are coming in from out of town, it allows for 1 extra day of travel as opposed to rushing back on Friday night.
    2. Seattle (despite Bumbershoot being that same weekend) is actually dead in terms of out-of-town travel on Labor Day Weekend. What this means is we're able to negotiate hotel room rates at much more aggressive rate than the week before - we're literally talking a difference of hundreds of dollars for the weekend for attendees.
    3. Because most conferences/trade shows are business-to-business, we're actually able to get the space we need as opposed to being crammed in with another large show.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
    edited November 2008
    I guess all those make sense. It's a good thing I still have 3 gen-ed classes that I can cram into that semester (and therefore miss a week of with little repercussion).

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Now all we need to do is try to kidnap Khoo and make it a 4 day Expo.

This would involve sneaking up on him.

We're fucked.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you catch him playing rock band it might be doable! He rocks out on the drums, hence is likely distracted.

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
    edited November 2008
    How will kidnapping him make it a four day expo? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that it's more likely to happen if he stays right where he is, in the heart of the Penny Arcade complex.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you catch him playing rock band it might be doable! He rocks out on the drums, hence is likely distracted.

He also has drum sticks to bonk you on the head with.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2008
    God help you if one of them should snap, it could easily be wedged in between your ribs and used to puncture a lung.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited November 2008
    yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay labor day weekend pax

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • CougRonCougRon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    my problem with labor day weekend is that I typically have family vacations that weekend. I won't be able to go!

CougRon on
    edited November 2008
    well theres an easy fix to that problem....

PAX is a family fun event! bring em all along!!

Skinnay on
    I'm Awesome!!!
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You need to reevaluate your priorities then.

EDIT: Meant to come after CougRon's post.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    does anybody else equate pax and labor day weekend to chocolate and peanut butter? except, with pax being much more awesome solo than chocolate, but still...

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    TNTrooper wrote: »

He also has drum sticks to bonk you on the head with.

I've tried attacking a drummer playing rock band before, it ended up in much pain for myself due to a profusion of ANGRY STICKS hitting me.

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't understand #2 and #3.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited November 2008
    2- Apparently not many people visit seattle for whatever reason during labor day. so more hotels have open space. so PAX can negoiate better deals sincethey can say "make it cheaper! your hotels are empty!"

3- I think it means most shows are work related, and there's no work on labor day. so no business book the trade center on labor day. it's a day off. so the whole place should be open that weekend. notice that only other thing going on this year at the trade center wasn't business related, either.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    does anybody else equate pax and labor day weekend to chocolate and peanut butter? except, with pax being much more awesome solo than chocolate, but still...
    PAX would definitely be the chocolate though. In my opinion peanut butter is not very good solo.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • Dracomaster01Dracomaster01 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I wasn't sure where to post this, so I know this is about next year's PAX,but when can we register for PAX 09. I bookmarked the 2008 PAX site ( http://www.pennyarcadeexpo.com/ ) and that site doesn't work any longer. So just wondering when I can register for next year.

Dracomaster01 on
    edited December 2008
    february ish?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited December 2008
    I wasn't sure where to post this, so I know this is about next year's PAX,but when can we register for PAX 09. I bookmarked the 2008 PAX site ( http://www.pennyarcadeexpo.com/ ) and that site doesn't work any longer. So just wondering when I can register for next year.

wow, that's the first time in years i've seen an "can't open page" error on that page!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    edited December 2008
    i just got a big ol page of white when i went there lol

Skinnay on
    I'm Awesome!!!
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited December 2008
    working on it....

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think it's a fitting new aesthetic... clean, pure, calming...

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • LaneLane Registered User new member
    edited December 2008
    Still wish it was earlier in the year so the east coasters with college can attend it without missing the first week of college :(

Lane on
    edited December 2008
    damn, you actually go to school that early? mine starts in the last week of september. sounds like you're going to the wrong school!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    edited December 2008
    haha yeah i got lucky... mine started tuesday right after pax... so i got home at 5 in the morning on tuesday... and then went to school at 5 pm lol

Skinnay on
    I'm Awesome!!!
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The decision to hold PAX on Labor Day weekend going forward is threefold:

1. Given 70% of attendees are coming in from out of town, it allows for 1 extra day of travel as opposed to rushing back on Friday night.
    2. Seattle (despite Bumbershoot being that same weekend) is actually dead in terms of out-of-town travel on Labor Day Weekend. What this means is we're able to negotiate hotel room rates at much more aggressive rate than the week before - we're literally talking a difference of hundreds of dollars for the weekend for attendees.
    3. Because most conferences/trade shows are business-to-business, we're actually able to get the space we need as opposed to being crammed in with another large show.

For these exact reasons, I'm relieved that it's on Labor Day. For some of us non Seatlites it's quite an expense to make it out. I for one appreciate the consideration, Khoo.

redhalo on
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    YAY! PAX fever again! Can we really contain it for 10 months though? Oh lordy. Oh and yes I have returned to the forums now that PAX 09 has been dated :)

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

edited December 2008
    oh so you're just a fair weather forum goer then huh!? ^_^

Skinnay on
    I'm Awesome!!!
This discussion has been closed.