As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Black Mesa full trailer

SkabSkab Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
Youtube
HD Links

Official Site

Holy shit.

(edit: just saw someone had linked it in the Steam thread. Still, this deserves its own thread.)

steam_sig.png
Skab on

• MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    yes yes yse

and I haven't watched it yet, downloading HD version

MrDelish on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The trailer is bland but the footage it shows has me very excited for this mod.

Hoz on
    edited December 2008
    oh my

bland? I...guess you could say that, but good golly do I want this.

I may enjoy it more than I did Half Life 2 or Episode 1.

MrDelish on
    edited December 2008
    Well, more than Half-Life 2. For me.

Hoz on
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I love how different yet familiar it looks. I will definitely play this mod.

chasehatesbears on
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i peed a little

Recoil42 on
  • bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Needs moar AID.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hopefully we can still ruin the casserole.

Verr on
  • TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I would pay a full $60 for this to be finally released, especially after seeing that footage.

TheSuperWoot on
  • SamSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    A remake? where the fuck is the next full half life game anyway

Sam on
  • JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I love how different yet familiar it looks. I will definitely play this mod.

Truer words have never been said.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    A++ would watch again.

The Black Mesa symbol gave me chills. What is this unholy synthesis of nostalgia and hype?

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sam wrote: »

You know this is a third party mod, right?

Food on
  • El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I... I... I wish I had a computer that could run this. Especially after wrapping up HL1 again less than a week ago. Le sigh.

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tehgilstehgils Is ruro/rurokenshin DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    tehgils on
    FFXIV- Focke Wulf
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Food wrote: »
    Sam wrote: »

You know this is a third party mod, right?

Maybe he's just so overcome with awe that he can't acknowledge the fact that's it's a third party mod.

Also, I am looking forward to this though I fear it will end up vaporware.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Very impressive.

Strange though that they went back to the old MP-5/Grenade weapon instead of the M4/203 combo that you see in the HD-pack that came with Blue Shift.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Interesting. I find the unnatural cloth physics very distracting, though. When the scientists are walking around and their lab coats are like...solid.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I can only hope the whole game looks like this.

I could see Valve picking this up counter-strike style.

Plutonium on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Play HL again you say?

I guess I could do this.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    how does the mod work? do you need HL2 and 1? sounds like they are using HL1 sound samples.. which leads me to believe I need both...

I don't have both and I missed my 99cent deal :(

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Crossposting from the steam/source thread as we have a proper one now
    Monger wrote: »
    Oh good lord, there's a 720p version here. Downloading so hard.

The dude they've got doing Barney absolutely nailed the voice, but I wish he'd emote just a bit more. That's pretty much the only thing standing between me and girlish squeals of ecstasy. My squeals are still rugged and masculine at the moment.

edit:
    There's also mirrors for the trailer here and here, as mentioned by the front page of their website.

edit2:
    Upon several successive viewings, I am drenched in my own fluids. The first person view looks to have shaken off the ice skating camera thing that Valve tends to do. Could just be dark trailer magicks, but it looks more Killzone 2 than Half-Life, and that's amazing for a mod group. The unforeseen consequences line is also creepy, even by G-Man standards.

I will be dumbfounded if the team doesn't get contacted by Newell within an hour of release.
    scootch wrote: »
    how does the mod work? do you need HL2 and 1? sounds like they are using HL1 sound samples.. which leads me to believe I need both...

I don't have both and I missed my 99cent deal :(
    While known by some hardcore Black Mesa fans, we'd like to officially state that we've upgraded to the Orange Box build of the Source engine. We're also excited to announce that we've dropped Counter-Strike: Source as a requirement for Black Mesa, and from now on, the only thing you'll need to play the mod is a Steam account with any Source engine game installed! Black Mesa is now running completely off of our own content and base Source shared content, and we felt the vastly increased user base more then justified creating all the extra assets needed to make this switch.

Monger on
  • ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Interesting. I find the unnatural cloth physics very distracting, though. When the scientists are walking around and their lab coats are like...solid.

Remember folks, this game is still in development.

If you have any nitpicks, make sure to post about them on their forums, as they want to make this game as awesome as possible.

They could probably rush the game out in 6 months if they wanted too, but I fully expect them to release next fall so they can polish, polish, polish.

Shurakai on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh wow. They're doing a lot more than a high-res facelift, I'm impressed.

Impatient too, this thing has been in development for soooo long.

Darlan on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wow holy shit when he went out to the cliff area. Man that looks amazing.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hurry somebody get that I came gif!

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Some very nice art in there, I especially like the outdoor skybox I've seen.

But some of the youtube comments are priceless:
    huh. Looks good but most of the scenese look straight out of HL2. What's different?

Mei Hikari on
  • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Been following this for years. It's so wonderful to see fruition so close. It's been at least five years, as long as the development of the original Half-Life. Somehow it's appropriate. They've had to remake and improve upon nearly all of HL1's A/V resources and maps from scratch, after all.

It's not an easy thing, but they've also taken it upon themselves to correct one interesting flaw I noticed while playing the original HL back in the day; if you were really paying attention, while the level design was incredible, many of the stage segments did not feel like a smaller part of someplace larger and functional. The most obvious example was the trip by rail cart through a HUGE tunnel to and from absolutely nowhere. Just a dead-end place no sane human would ever even get into, which you happen to be able to traverse because you're willing to crawl through hazardous pipes that make your Geiger counter click.

As you can see from the media shots on the Black Mesa website, they've done an amazing job working toward the end of making the BMRF feel like it's a facility. There are at least hatches, doors, or cemented-over openings, if not hallways and rooms you can see.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited December 2008
    They should be selling this.

bombardier on
  • Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    bombardier wrote: »

I'm sure there'd be no legal repercussion whatsoever. :P

Mei Hikari on
  • gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Th- th- THAT WAS HALF LIFE?!

gunwarrior on
    edited December 2008
    Mei Hikari wrote: »

valve should buy it and sell it

I'm probably going to donate something when it actually comes out

MrDelish on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The shot of the canyon was nothing short of amazing. The rest of it looks good (some animations are a bit off, especially with speaking characters).

The rerecorded audio will bug me to no end, though.
    IceBurner wrote: »
    Been following this for years. It's so wonderful to see fruition so close. It's been at least five years, as long as the development of the original Half-Life.
    Actually, the original Half-Life was made in a meager two years, not five. Heck you could say it was made in only one if you decide not to count that first year after they scrapped just about everything and started over. But even at two years, it's not a terribly long genesis.

HL2, on the other hand, had that insanely long development time.

Undead Scottsman on
  • War BastardWar Bastard Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    MrDelish wrote: »

valve should buy it and sell it

I'm probably going to donate something when it actually comes out

I'd like to see the guys who made this get some kind of reward for their sterling efforts, but it seems weird for Valve to buy a game based on their own license. I dunno the legality of it but I'm guessing the modders will be unable to legally get anything.

War Bastard on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It was a stick.
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Some very nice art in there, I especially like the outdoor skybox I've seen.

But some of the youtube comments are priceless:
    huh. Looks good but most of the scenese look straight out of HL2. What's different?

That comment right there just made me hop onto photoshop...

VomitingAtStupid.jpg

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Funny this is, that youtube comment could be considered a compliment of the highest order.

Many mods would die to be mistaken for their game of origin, quality wise.

Shurakai on
  • JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The shot of the canyon was nothing short of amazing. The rest of it looks good (some animations are a bit off, especially with speaking characters).

Been following this for years. It's so wonderful to see fruition so close. It's been at least five years, as long as the development of the original Half-Life.
    Actually, the original Half-Life was made in a meager two years, not five. Heck you could say it was made in only one if you decide not to count that first year after they scrapped just about everything and started over. But even at two years, it's not a terribly long genesis.

Something tells me that these guys didn't have the same resources at their disposal that Valve did.

Also, it would stand to reason that there was even more content creation required for this mod than the original Half-Life required, ie, more objects, more textures, more sounds and voices, etc. Certainly, they already had the basic level design provided for them, but the increased amount of stuff that had to be placed in each level probably outweighed any time saved resulting from a "blueprint" of sorts in the form of the original levels. I think it's safe to say that even Valve would take longer to produce a HL1 modernization than it originally took.

JWFokker on
    edited December 2008
    They've said that that the level design got somewhat revamped. I guess so it doesn't feel too stale.

Hoz on
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Let's hope somebody's finally managed to make Xen bearable.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    JWFokker wrote: »

Something tells me that these guys didn't have the same resources at their disposal that Valve did.

Also, it would stand to reason that there was even more content creation required for this mod than the original Half-Life required, ie, more objects, more textures, more sounds and voices, etc. Certainly, they already had the basic level design provided for them, but the increased amount of stuff that had to be placed in each level probably outweighed any time saved resulting from a "blueprint" of sorts in the form of the original levels. I think it's safe to say that even Valve would take longer to produce a HL1 modernization than it originally took.

Uh, I don't think anyone was complaining about the length of time it's taking. Iceburner just said it was taking as long as the original, which was inaccurate, so I responded with the more accurate info. No one was discussing whether or not the mod is being made fast enough.

Undead Scottsman on