As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Samsung LCDTV, PS3 res no higher than 480?

Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now.Outpost 31Registered User regular
So today my step-father joined the 21st century and bought a Samsung LN46A650 LCDTV and a PS3 for Blu-Ray. He called me over to set it up for him but no matter what I did all I could get was 480 out of the HDMI cables. If I selected Automatic or 1080i/p in the Display Setup the TV tells me "mode not supported."

I'm going to update the firmware on both the TV and the PS3 tomorrow, but does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
Descendant X on

• JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hopefully the update will fix it. I hate to give you the "duh" answer but if it doesn't, try contacting Samsung's technical support. A google search doesn't reveal any quick fixes.

JAEF on
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, that's what I kind of figured. I'm going to take my own $20 HDMI cable over there too. I would laugh my ass off if it was his $80 Monster cable that's causing the issue.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you could, please share any solutions you find to this problem. The older RCA 50" DLP I've been using (and am currently looking to replace) has never accepted the 720p from the PS3...only 480p and 1080i. It definitely supports 720p but I've never been able to figure out what the problem is.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, turns out it was the shitty HDMI cable that he bought. He didn't get a Monster cable at first, but he has one now.

Ugh.

Descendant X on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, turns out it was the shitty HDMI cable that he bought. He didn't get a Monster cable at first, but he has one now.

Ugh.

You're.. you're not serious? Tell me you didn't just spend over $50 on an HDMI cable.

JAEF on
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    From what I understand all hdmi cables are the same just have to make sure it's the newest one, 1.3a or something, doesn't matter how much or the brand.

M.D. on
  • McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    JAEF wrote: »

Ugh.

You're.. you're not serious? Tell me you didn't just spend over $50 on an HDMI cable.

People do it all the time at work.($100+)

It's disgusting and kind of sad.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Faricazy on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    From what I understand all hdmi cables are the same just have to make sure it's the newest one, 1.3a or something, doesn't matter how much or the brand.
    You want one that is "Category 2 Certified".

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    edited December 2008
    JAEF wrote: »

Ugh.

Nononononono. HE bought the cable. I advocate cheap HDMI cables as well (Mine was $25 from a computer store in town.)

My post was badly worded. The cable he originally bought was some off-brand pos that didn't support resolutions over 480p. So he went out and dropped $100CAN on a Monster cable. He's been blinded by the price=quality fallacy as well, I fear. I've argued with him, but it's not worth my time.

EDIT: Like Barraketh said. The original cable he bought probably wasn't Cat 2 certified.

Descendant X on
  • ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Something's wrong here. As long as it's HDMI it should handle any resolution up to 1080p. This is part of the HDMI standard, and is non-negotiable. If it isn't capable of doing up to 1080p and 7.1 channels of audio, I don't think it's allowed to be sold as HDMI, regardless of brand. I checked Wikipedia and it's saying that even Category 1 certified must reach 1080i/720p, so while I guess you need Cat 2 for 1080p, you still should have been able to get above 480.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
    edited December 2008
    Scrublet wrote: »
    Something's wrong here. As long as it's HDMI it should handle any resolution up to 1080p. This is part of the HDMI standard, and is non-negotiable. If it isn't capable of doing up to 1080p and 7.1 channels of audio, I don't think it's allowed to be sold as HDMI, regardless of brand. I checked Wikipedia and it's saying that even Category 1 certified must reach 1080i/720p, so while I guess you need Cat 2 for 1080p, you still should have been able to get above 480.

It doesn't really matter. The point is that the new HDMI cable fixed the issue. The cable I brought over to his house also fixed the issue. The cable he bought initially was crap, whether it was a problem with the brand or with that one cable.

Descendant X on