As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dial Q for the Question! (about Comics Thread)

• FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ghost Rider is also in the current art of X-Force! Beautiful Cheung art, yum yum!

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Faynor wrote: »
    Beautiful Mike Choi art, yum yum!

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    I really loved Won Ton Soup; reading it, I was reminded of when I was a kid, first being exposed to anime, Heavy Metal magazine, and Euro comics. It has that same mix of manic energy and bizarre, outlandish ideas that you don't see coming.

Yeah, I love it. Stokoe was working on Won Ton Soup 2, last I heard.

DouglasDanger on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Iroh wrote: »
    Faynor wrote: »
    Beautiful Mike Choi art, yum yum!

I'm not good with names. :oops:

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    JoeUser wrote: »
    All I really know about Ghost Rider is from the movie and the Marvel: Ultimate Alliance game. He seems like a cool character; are there any definitive stories I should check out?

there really is no definitive Ghost Rider.

I'd suggest just reading the new issues right now written by Jason Aaron.

But for old timey Ghost Rider, any essentials are great, and I am partial to his role in the most ridiculous team ever, The Champions

What about Hearts of Darkness TLB? PUNISHER, WOLVERINE, GHOST RIDER! OH MAN!!!!!!

it was almost perfect.

(it didn't have Venom)
    Ah, my first Wolverine comic had part of that story in it! Good times.

Wildcat on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Scumdogg wrote: »
    All i know of Joe Quesada is that Marvel's artist rejection letters have gotten kinder under his regime. Mine was all "Keep going man, you're on the right track!" and other such encouraging lines. It's really nice. I kept it, and later had an opportunity to get it signed by Stan Lee. That was pretty entertaining, he read the whole thing. :)

Also, here is a question i have about comics! I read the shit out of Essential Silver Surfer vol. 1, and loved it. I'm reading vol. 2 now, and still loving it. Other than the Fantastic Four essentials, which i already plan to get, is there any other really good Silver Surfer stuff out there? I'm finding myself enjoying the character a lot more than i thought i would.

Silver Surfer was bad ass in Annihilation. His brief cameo in Planet Hulk was pretty cool too. He was also in Nova recently and FF last year, though you might not care for the FF issues; he gets handled pretty convincingly by T'Challa (after a bit of trickery on Black Panther's part).

I love Panther, but a few times they've done that irritating "Batman can take anyone given a little time to prepare" thing with him. Mind you, I like it when it's not done too much.

If it makes you feel better, T'Challa's super-preparedness is more plausible than Bruce Wayne's. I mean, one has a huge corporation backing him up, the other has one of the wealthiest and most scientifically advanced nations on Earth backing him up. And BP is also the king of a xenophobic nation that prides itself on being able to defeat any threat to the nation; surely that would affect his desire to plan for all foreseeable contingencies.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sure, but Batman's been doing those stories for decades. BP's been doing them for a few years (and back in a day for a while). I'm just saying, it's something that is cool, but let's not overdo it.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    JoeUser wrote: »
    All I really know about Ghost Rider is from the movie and the Marvel: Ultimate Alliance game. He seems like a cool character; are there any definitive stories I should check out?

the ghost rider annual which came out recently has an old story (from the 70's i think) called death race, in by popular reader demand. in it he has a motorbike race against death for the souls of a bunch of mortals. despite being completely hokey it was strangely awesome.

other than that, both ennis and aarons work on the character have been good. for 90's ketch fare marvel comic presents had some pretty good arcs (team up with wolverine/ werewolf by night iirc).

in related news my office's xmas party is a heros/ villains fancy dress affair. i'm breaking out the biker leathers, chains, spikes, skull mask and what i hope to be a convincing flame wreath collar for it :P

manji on
    edited December 2008
    Sure, but Batman's been doing those stories for decades. BP's been doing them for a few years (and back in a day for a while). I'm just saying, it's something that is cool, but let's not overdo it.

BP was created in the 60s. He's been at it a little longer than a few years.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yes but he wasn't written like he is being written now before

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2008
    Not even in Priest's run?

wwtMask on
    edited December 2008
    the Priest panther was so different from Hudlin's panther

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There's a difference between having a character who's prepared for everything and having a character who is so well-prepared that he can afford to be cocky without ever having to worry about his overconfidence costing him. The latter sucks the tension out of every conflict, and a story is always worse off for it.

Robos A Go Go on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There's a difference between having a character who's prepared for everything and having a character who is so well-prepared that he can afford to be cocky without ever having to worry about his overconfidence costing him. The latter sucks the tension out of every conflict, and a story is always worse off for it.

It worked for Inspector Gadget! When he's falling off a cliff, Go Go Gadget umbrella. But then, Gadget was confident he was a great inspector because he was so dim....

emnmnme on
    edited December 2008
    So you're saying T'Challa needs his own Penny and Brain

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2008

Which one is BP and which one is Batman?

wwtMask on
    edited December 2008
    Bane-breaks-Batman-497pg21.png

Batman's the one with limitations.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited December 2008
    BP is just about as physically vulnerable as Batman, but he lacks the psychological problems. I wouldn't call his confidence cockiness, though.

wwtMask on
    edited December 2008
    That's true. For it to be cockiness, he'd have to be wrong about something at some point.

Cockiness would be an interesting character flaw, but unfortunately Panther has no apparent flaws.

That's what prevents him from being an interesting characters. When there are no weaknesses, there's nothing to overcome, and therefore no real conflict at all. Instead, you're just reading about a guy who succeeds in his every endeavor and never learns anything, changes, or grows in any significant way.

Robos A Go Go on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    BP's been doing them for a few years (and back in a day for a while)[/B].

BP was created in the 60s. He's been at it a little longer than a few years.

That's why I said the above.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    edited December 2008
    Also, the story with his son
    Where the son goes berserk was interesting. It was kind of painful, but in a good way I thought.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    BP is just about as physically vulnerable as Batman, but he lacks the psychological problems. I wouldn't call his confidence cockiness, though.

Obviously I disagree about the cockiness/confidence distinction, but I'm not really in the mood to push that.

However, I strenuously disagree with the assertion that he's as physically vulnerable: he wears armor that includes vibranium, and uses magic/science herbs to have Captain America-level strength, speed, etc. While I'm not saying BP would beat Batman in a fight (I hate those hypotheticals), I'm just saying I don't think he comes to the table with the same physical weaknesses as a man who doesn't even wear armor 99% of the time.

mattharvest on
    edited December 2008

Obviously I disagree about the cockiness/confidence distinction, but I'm not really in the mood to push that.

However, I strenuously disagree with the assertion that he's as physically vulnerable: he wears armor that includes vibranium, and uses magic/science herbs to have Captain America-level strength, speed, etc. While I'm not saying BP would beat Batman in a fight (I hate those hypotheticals), I'm just saying I don't think he comes to the table with the same physical weaknesses as a man who doesn't even wear armor 99% of the time.

I was under the impression that Batman wears a costume with similar durability to BP's. The suit makes BP nearly blade and bullet-proof, but it also doesn't make BP invincible.

wwtMask on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I was under the impression that Batman wears a costume with similar durability to BP's. The suit makes BP nearly blade and bullet-proof, but it also doesn't make BP invincible.

In the movies this is the case, but I think the Batman suit sometimes is armored, but other times is not. I think? that most of the time it is just spandex

Langly on
    edited December 2008
    Langly wrote: »

In the movies this is the case, but I think the Batman suit sometimes is armored, but other times is not. I think? that most of the time it is just spandex
    IIRC, his cape has been used to deflect bullets as recently as the Heart of Hush arc in Detective.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2008
    Batman's suit has kevlar and nomex in it (with more armor on certain parts).

He can still be stabbed/shot, especially with higher caliber bullets.

Garlic Bread on
    edited December 2008

wwtMask on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The modern Batsuits are definitely armored.

BP is totally a smug cocky sob though.

Scooter on
    edited December 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    The modern Batsuits are definitely armored.

BP is totally a smug cocky sob though.

Hey, it ain't braggin' if you can back it up. :P

wwtMask on
    edited December 2008
    This is only tangentially related, but are there any hints out about this female Black Panther in the latest batch of solicitations?

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2008

Garlic Bread on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »

The formula for the Inspector Gadget cartoon was Gadget bumbled around and Penny and Brain saved the day with a computer book and a 2-way radio dog collar. The chief always congratulates Gadget in the end, though, thanks to some freak coincidences.

How does that stack up to the Black Panther?

emnmnme on
    edited December 2008
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »

The formula for the Inspector Gadget cartoon was Gadget bumbled around and Penny and Brain saved the day with a computer book and a 2-way radio dog collar. The chief always congratulates Gadget in the end, though, thanks to some freak coincidences.

How does that stack up to the Black Panther?

It doesn't. BP doesn't do bumbling and neither do any of his people.
    Iroh wrote: »
    This is only tangentially related, but are there any hints out about this female Black Panther in the latest batch of solicitations?

I'm pretty sure it's Shuri, T'Challa's sister. Alternately, Queen Divine Justice or one of the Dora Milaje. It definitely will not be Storm.

wwtMask on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Why the hells would you send the hope of your race into a future you're trying to erase?

Fencingsax on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Is Jeph Loeb delusional? I'm listening to his Word Balloon Interview (part3) and he just comes off as a bit crazy. Like he sees big sales numbers and just assumes all his work is good. He keeps talking about how he doesn't really have negative criticism and belittles it when it is brought up. I get that you can't take read all your negative press or "take it to heart" but he comes off very smug and arrogant in the interviews.

Also regarding that is the reason his numbers so good, is it because of the titles he's given where people just continue on after something that was previously good (Ultimates) or because its an event/change they follow it (i.e. Ultimatum) or does he really have that big of a following where if he did "Fred and his bag of rocks" it would sell 100k?

I'm not trying to bash Loeb completely as I don't think he's all terrible, I read Ultimates 3 and it was very cringe worthy at points but as a story wasn't the worst thing I've read. I'm also reading Ultimatum but mostly because I want to see what happens to the universe more than I want to read his story.

smokmnky on
    edited December 2008
    Ultimates 3 would've sold gangbusters if I was the writer. Between the goodness of the first two volumes and the hype about the series leading into Ultimatum, there was no way that it was going to be a failure.

wwtMask on
  • ForkesForkes Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So my question is...

Does crying at the end of We3 make me less of a man?

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Man that is a powerful book. I shed a few tears reading it too.

DouglasDanger on
  • ForkesForkes Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just got it today and read it in like 30 minutes. And misted quite a bit on the subway home.

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There was one thing I didn't get about We3.
    If I'm remembering correctly, it's made out to be something of a big deal that the cybernetics in the animals can't be removed without killing them. So when they're ordered decommissioned, the woman doctor has no choice but to let them go with all their tech enhancements still in place.

Then at the end of a book some hobo with a pair of pliers removes all the shit that was in them, rendering them normal, happy animals again.

It's still a good book, and Quitely kills on the art, but the first time I read it I was kind of puzzled at the happy, feel-good ending.

Munch on
This discussion has been closed.