As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

And the next LEGO game is...

DominusDominus Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
Harry Potter!

http://kotaku.com/5100221/next-lego-game-try-harry-potter

Just a rumor for now, but it sounds promising. After all, LEGO did make sets based on Harry Potter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_Harry_Potter

This could be unbelievably awesome. Hogwarts as a free-roaming hub world, specialized spells, and imagine the massive cast of characters they could have. Also, there's an outside chance that they'll make a decent Quidditch minigame (although I won't be holding my breath on that one).

Currently playing: Skyrim, Super Mario 3D Land
Dominus on

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    But, what are the levels? The whole stinking book is in the castle except for very short stints elsewhere. Maybe the common area is the great hall or their house's common room?

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm kinda over the LEGO: Franchise thing now.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I suppose I can see that. But I won't buy it. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    They should just make a Lego: Star Wars vs Indiana Jones vs Batman vs Harry Potter crossover game.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kagera wrote: »
    I'm kinda over the LEGO: Franchise thing now.

Same here. I have played all of them, but I'm halfway through Lego Batman, and I'm completely bored with it...so that goes to show me two things:

First that Lego Star Wars was the best one, and second that they are not as fun as they first were for me.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I would actually like a lego:bionicle, or lego: lego city game done in this style, but in an original lego story.

They've got a few other playsets that don't involve a big movie franchise.

Hell, medieval jousts and swordfights and castles and dragons in Traveller's Tales style? Yes please. Hell, even their space lego sets would make a good game. It's not like the story matters.

Just don't make me play the same game 8 times to earn all the achievements (hello Lego Star Wars: TCS).

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'd rather have a Lego Pirates vs Space Rangers vs Medivel Knights made up of all the sets I had when I was a kid.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ToyD wrote: »
    Hell, medieval jousts and swordfights and castles and dragons in Traveller's Tales style? Yes please. Hell, even their space lego sets would make a good game. It's not like the story matters.

It's not like they haven't made their newer Castle sets with named figures.

I mean, they actually have a story for their newest castle sets and specific knights (that actually have names).

MrDelish on
  • Options
    BrueBrue Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Damn I was hoping for Lego: Guitar Hero.

Brue on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    They should just make LegoBigPlanet and get it over with. Let people make their own stuff, since they all play the same anyway.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I never have played a LEGO game until the deal I got with my new XBox - Lego Indiana Jones and Lego Batman came with it.

I'm almost done with the Hero side of Lego Batman and I love this game. Im not even close to bored with it yet, and am pumped to do the villian side, and then try out Indy.

I can see how I may be bored with the whole series by Indy, however. But right now I'm loving it.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Brue wrote: »
    Damn I was hoping for Lego: Guitar Hero.

?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Cokomon wrote: »
    They should just make a Lego: Star Wars vs Indiana Jones vs Batman vs Harry Potter crossover game.

And get Capcom to make it.

Batman automatically wins because of preptime.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    But there already is two LEGO Harry Potter games. They're called Lego Creator: Harry Potter and LEGO Creator: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

Peewi on
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Basticle wrote: »
    I'd rather have a Lego Pirates vs Space Rangers vs Medivel Knights made up of all the sets I had when I was a kid.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm so conflicted.

Yes, I'm a big Harry Potter fan (obviously from the screen name). But really...there's just not enough action in the series (neither books nor films) to warrant a Lego game made out of it. On the other hand, I'd like to see some of the cutscenes handled in the humorous Lego style.

Also, this game has the potential to be looong. Instead of previous games in the series having a set trilogy to work with, this game has seven books to work with.

I think I know what we all want to see in a Lego cutscene:
    Snape kills Dumbledore

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm out until LEGO Spider-man...which is the only other LEGO franchise I can think of.

It'll be interesting to see if they end up making a LEGO game for their non-licensed sets, like Mars, Secret Spies, or the underwater one. I'd love to see that with a bigger focus on actually building things.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Did Lego Indy have vehicle segments? I know Lego Star Wars did, and I imagine Batman had Batmobile segments.

I can only assume this will have Quidditch segments, or at the very least a Ford Anglia segment.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    PompaPompa Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ive been aching for a LEGO game which you can create your own... well anything really, for ages. i mean Banjo Kazooie seemed to nail what LEGO would be in a videogame mechanic. i think the company needs to catch up and stop whoring out these franchises (not that most of them arn't awesome). just sayin.

Pompa on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    I'm out until LEGO Spider-man...which is the only other LEGO franchise I can think of.

It'll be interesting to see if they end up making a LEGO game for their non-licensed sets, like Mars, Secret Spies, or the underwater one. I'd love to see that with a bigger focus on actually building things.

Have you ever heard about LEGO Creator? That's pretty much just building stuff out of LEGO.

Peewi on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Right now the best LEGO game is Banjo- Kazooie Nuts and Bolts even though they're not actually LEGO.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    LEGO Creator looks exactly like something they should be working on. I wonder if the MMO LEGO is their evolution of the Creator.

Accualt on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fiziks wrote: »

They could make it an RTS, almost a Starcraft clone except you have to collect lego pieces from the environment to build your defenses, but you could only use pieces that fit your theme. Pirates couldn't use the space laser gun, and the knights could only use crossbows and swords.

The game would basically end up trying to deny an enemy the pieces they need, while trying to secure your own.

And of course you'd need to be able to build your own fortress pieces by piece, similar to that old arcade game Rampart.

xzzy on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Megablocks have the Marvel licence so not happening I'm afraid.

What I want to see is Lego Nintendo. More for the sets than the ineviatble tie-in game. Pixels to blocks, re-use medieval blocks for Zelda stuff. It's perfect!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    This news you bring me is deeply saddening.

Accualt on
  • Options
    PompaPompa Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Peewi wrote: »

Have you ever heard about LEGO Creator? That's pretty much just building stuff out of LEGO.

ok i have just wiki'd this and it was released 10 years ago? wow. they should deffinately update on this with all the new tech we have now.
    wikipedia wrote:
    Some people have uploaded custom (Lego) model creations for others to download into their version of Lego Creator.

see this is the kind of stuff they could do over live / psn / the internets. now im getting excited, but i know this probably isnt being made.

Pompa on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This news you bring me is deeply saddening.

I know.

Megablocks are just plain shite.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Pompa wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »

ok i have just wiki'd this and it was released 10 years ago? wow. they should deffinately update on this with all the new tech we have now.
    wikipedia wrote:
    Some people have uploaded custom (Lego) model creations for others to download into their version of Lego Creator.

see this is the kind of stuff they could do over live / psn / the internets. now im getting excited, but i know this probably isnt being made.

They have a modern version you can download off their website, but the piece selection is pretty limited and is very kid-oriented. The whole thing is basically a tie-in to their store, you build the set in the program and click a button to buy it and have them send you pieces.

The software released 10 years ago was much more "grown up", and was offered in response to the open source Lego CAD stuff that's floating around (and is almost universally poor quality). If I recall properly, they gave it away for free, but you had to pay shipping for the floppy disks. ;)

These days I'd rather just build with the actual bricks. I pull my stash out every once in a while and build a spaceship.

xzzy on
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Cokomon wrote: »

vs Capcom vs Mortal Kombat

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

BLACKTRON MOTHERFUCKERS

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    sabyulsabyul Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I wish the Lego games were really like adding Legos to your toy box-- if you own Lego Star Wars, you can go through Hogwarts as Darth Maul!

Mix and match yayy

sabyul on
    http://www.frame-advantage.com - Specializing in high quality fighting game video content
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    sabyul wrote: »
    I wish the Lego games were really like adding Legos to your toy box-- if you own Lego Star Wars, you can go through Hogwarts as Darth Maul!

Mix and match yayy

You might be on to something...

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'd want to see a Lego game where you actually build something. Your own character, car, plane, tank, boat, spaceship, or whatever. I would buy a Lego shoot'em up with an editor where you can build your own levels, ships and enemies.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Nah, fuck actual Legos. I'd like to see them do a complete gameplay overhaul of the existing series, though.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nah, fuck actual Legos.

I hate you and everyone who looks like you!
    Lego were awesome, still are, and we need an actual Lego MMO. Kinda like Second Life or WURM, but all done with lego bricks.

Djiem on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Right now the best LEGO game is Banjo- Kazooie Nuts and Bolts even though they're not actually LEGO.

This, so hard. Building the cars is just like playing with Legos, and you can build all sorts of crazy things that behave radically differently depending on how you build them. Alas, it seems like practically no one is playing this.

So, Lego. Eh. Usually Lego-izing something makes it at least 40% more awesome, but we've been getting a LOT of Lego-izing lately, plus the Lego games themselves are kind of cookie cutter and haven't changed much at all since the first Lego Star Wars.

Edit: Djiem, I think there was an actual Lego MMO in development at some point, but I haven't heard anything about it in ages.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    Nah, fuck actual Legos.

I hate you and everyone who looks like you!
    Lego were awesome, still are, and we need an actual Lego MMO. Kinda like Second Life or WURM, but all done with lego bricks.

There's a LEGO MMO in development. It's called LEGO Universe. I don't know a lot about it, though.

Peewi on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This instead of Lord of the Rings?

Boo.

BOO.

Ceno on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

BLACKTRON MOTHERFUCKERS

Shut it bitch. The old blue and grey no-visor space legos would kick Blacktron's ass up and down the universe.

Age before beauty and all that.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ceno wrote: »
    This instead of Lord of the Rings?

Boo.

BOO.

Fine, we'll switch.

You LOTR fans can take another cookie-cutter Lego game and we'll take Pandemic for a Harry Potter game instead.

Fair?

UnbreakableVow on