As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

No, you cannot have your name changed

• SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Kreutz wrote: »
    If you put any thought into your forum handle, you don't need a name change. I don't see what the big deal is.

Who puts thought into their forum name?
    I mean, who cares enough to do that?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Maybe it needs to be sketched out more, but I just don't see any real reason we can't create a system to allow limited name changes.

Did you honestly not read the whole thing about the coin toss?

Because there is a coin toss.

Considering how limited even the coin toss option is, and considering that often the coin toss results in new names that lead people to create alts and give up their old identity just to avoid them, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask if there might be some other way to handle these things.

mcdermott on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited December 2008
    There isn't going to be any change in policy that results in more people getting their names changed. Sorry. I'm not giving the moderators any more work purely because people want to change their handle which no one but them cares about anyway. This is a policy unlikely to change under the current administration.

Tube on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2008
    Also, consider that people have no concept of "limited". Figure Tube, et al, get a non-trivial number of name change requests given an explicit policy of Don't Ask For Any Name Changes Ever You Fucking Retards. A policy of Name Changes Only For Really Really Good Reasons would make their inboxes explode.

tl;dr: People don't do well with restraint

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Caulk Bite wrote: »
    But I like my name, and can't think of anything else I would like to be known by that isn't silly.

I heartily agree with this statement.

you have to admit though, Caulk Bite is a little silly.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Also, consider that people have no concept of "limited". Figure Tube, et al, get a non-trivial number of name change requests given an explicit policy of Don't Ask For Any Name Changes Ever You Fucking Retards. A policy of Name Changes Only For Really Really Good Reasons would make their inboxes explode.

tl;dr: People don't do well with restraint

TL;DR: Automation - would prevent inboxes from axploding.

Less TL;DR, I dunno if the software base supports automation of name changes, so that might be right out. It if did, then a limited name change policy could be implemented that allowed the end user to change names perhaps once every 6 months or so. But that's based on the underlying software allowing that.

On the other hand, I still loves me some whining forum every so often.

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    And it's all of maybe 3 lines to do a check on date times to make sure it's been something like 18 months since last name change?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    bowen wrote: »
    And it's all of maybe 3 lines to do a check on date times to make sure it's been something like 18 months since last name change?

Don't go that route. If you believe it to be so easy, dazzle us with your skill. Code it and present it, don't give people a hard time because it "should be easy".

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited December 2008
    We're not rewriting the code so that people can change their names. Changing names puts a lot of strain on the server. We are not looking for a way to allow people to have name changes. You cannot have your name changed. That is the very message of the thread.

Tube on
    edited December 2008

Don't go that route. If you believe it to be so easy, dazzle us with your skill. Code it and present it, don't give people a hard time because it "should be easy".

Now if I were getting paid to do it I might do that. Because it is that easy.

But yes, it does put strain on the servers, but no more than changing your avatar. Unless of course you're using the username as your reference keys between the tables and need to update them all.

That said, meh.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited December 2008
    But yes, it does put strain on the servers, but no more than changing your avatar.

That'll be why the server chugs every time someone changes an avatar then

oh wait

oh wait I guess maybe ramius knows the forum code better than you do and we should listen to him and not you

nah

couldn't be

Tube on
    edited December 2008
    He lost my attention at the word "paid".

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited December 2008
    But yes, it does put strain on the servers, but no more than changing your avatar.

That'll be why the server chugs every time someone changes an avatar then

oh wait

oh wait I guess maybe ramius knows the forum code better than you do and we should listen to him and not you

nah

couldn't be

I would think that an automated system for creating an alt and banning the old, possibly including some form of "infraction" that flags the person (under the new name) as having changed their name (and thus keeping them from doing it again anytime soon) would not fall victim to the same performance issues. Since, you know, the forum doesn't crash every time a mod bans somebody. Or every time somebody joins.

But yes, this would require actual work to implement and thus I fully realize it's so far down on the list of priorities that it will never happen. :P

mcdermott on
    edited December 2008
    I think people who bitch about the need for name changes also put a load on the servers.

I have this great idea on how to address that concern, Tube. Would you like to hear it? It rhymes with "ban".

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited December 2008
    I think people who bitch about the need for name changes also put a load on the servers.

I have this great idea on how to address that concern, Tube. Would you like to hear it? It rhymes with "ban".

Flan?

bowen on
    edited December 2008
    But yes, this would require actual work to implement and thus I fully realize it's so far down on the list of priorities that it will never happen. :P

It's fun to talk about though.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Man?

Ivar on
    edited December 2008
    hand job?

bowen on
    edited December 2008
    hand job?

One of these things is not like the other

One of these things is not the same...

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited December 2008

Tan? Are you saying I need to get out more?

mcdermott on
    edited December 2008

Tan? Are you saying I need to get out more?

Uh... yes?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited December 2008
    hand job?

One of these things is not like the other

One of these things is not the same...

Fuck Ernie, when did you get here?

bowen on
    edited December 2008

Flan?

No, I said something rhymes with ban, not something that rhymes with a completely different word that isn't ban.

ElJeffe on
    edited December 2008

Flan?

No, I said something rhymes with ban, not something that rhymes with a completely different word that isn't ban.

Maybe I'm German you racist.

bowen on
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Caulk Bite wrote: »
    But I like my name, and can't think of anything else I would like to be known by that isn't silly.

I heartily agree with this statement.

you have to admit though, Caulk Bite is a little silly.

true, but then again, I actually put thought into my name.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I guess I'm confused as to why there's a discussion thread for something that isn't open for discussion.

Kreutz on
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    People are retards who refuse to take "No. No. Fuck No. Have I said 'No' enough?" to mean "No".

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kreutz wrote: »
    I guess I'm confused as to why there's a discussion thread for something that isn't open for discussion.

This is less of a discussion thread, and more of an informative thread, that is open for people to post questions to, that are probably answered in the OP.

DeShadowC on
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This is a thread for discussion of great name changes and also for people to ask why there's a thread for it

And for people to get infractions.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
    edited December 2008
    The infractions are the best part.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This is the thread where Tube fills out his list for when he establishes his reich.

MKR on
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There isn't going to be any change in policy that results in more people getting their names changed. Sorry. I'm not giving the moderators any more work purely because people want to change their handle which no one but them cares about anyway. This is a policy unlikely to change under the current administration.

Obviously, the solution is to plant a bomb in the PA admin lounge. Or plant evidence of some crime.

Cyvros on
    edited December 2008
    Cyvros wrote: »

Obviously, the solution is to plant a bomb in the PA admin lounge. Or plant evidence of some crime.

But that's the problem. When Cardboard Tube does it, it's not illegal.

mcdermott on
    edited December 2008

But that's the problem. When Cardboard Tube does it, it's not illegal.

I see. A bomb it is, then!

Cyvros on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I think this is a very important thing that people are ignoring.

Nobody else gives a fuck that you want your name changed. In fact I actively don't want your name changed because it makes it harder for me to remember if your posts are worth reading or not.

Also having mods able to mod is nice.

Nocturne on
  • LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Meh, I settle with there being a way of knowing when the whining forum appears and make sure it does not appear when I am at work >_>

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
    edited December 2008
    Lurk brings up a good point.

We need SMS alerts.

Cyvros on
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lurk, I actually really like your name and don't think you should have it changed.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lurk brings up a good point.

We need SMS alerts.

It'd be pretty easy to set up, just a few lines of code like
    if 'Whining_Forum' = true
    then

well you get the idea. Wouldn't cost much to set up, either.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I suspect that tinkering with vbulletin is a little more complicated than that.

I don't even think PHP has a "then."

MKR on