As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lock this thread.

The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Games and Technology
Perhaps there is a small contingent of GnT fans who have a PS3 and enjoyed Uncharted. Well the second one will have a media blowout at the Spike VGAs December 13th, with a release 2009. Thread is perhaps content lite but I think an announcement and teaser is enough. I really enjoyed Uncharted 1.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43231.html

2nav38g.jpg
Nathan Drake returns with a whole new adventure which revolves around the 13th century explorer Marco Polo and his voyages. The new PlayStation 3 title will add a free climbing mechanic and stealth gameplay. Players can also expect all-new locations, characters and a focus on the game’s story.

Among Thieves not confirmed as game subtitle or article title, though I'm guessing the former almost certainly.

The_Scarab on

• Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I simply cannot wait for this game. The first was just so fucking good.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This is already my most anticipated game for '09.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Is his shirt going to be tugged in this time?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Stealth gameplay? Hmm...

Regardless of what information is handed down, the first one was so brilliant that this will be a first day purchase.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Why isn't he wearing a coat?

So many mysteries!

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Klyka wrote: »
    Is his shirt going to be tugged in this time?

don't knock the half-tuck

p.s. oh my god i'm so excited

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thankfully I will have the huge collection of games that recently came out to tide me over until this comes out.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wow. That is a shitty magazine cover.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Nathan Drake is essentially Lara Crofts older, wiseass brother.

Uncharted 1 is the secret 'reason to own a PS3', forget MGS4, or LBP, you buy Uncharted with the console and you're happy. One of my favourite games of the last few years. It had problems, and the pacing was a little off. But it had genuine charm, was funny and had incredible visuals.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    Wow. That is a shitty magazine cover.

i'd pay fifty dollars for it right now

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, I'm not sure about the stealth, BUT if they replace the zombies and sudden change of gameplay style that came with them for stealth, I'd be a happy camper.

A lot of the cover-based mechanic has an element of stealth behind it anyway; perhaps the point is that if you're hiding, or staying behind cover, you can "lose" enemies, or trick them, instead of the "always know exactly where you're hiding" gameplay of Uncharted.

Still, really liked Uncharted 1 and, unless they screw almost everything up, I'm on board for 2.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So excited woo. I played the first game in one 8 hour sitting. So good.

...I was unemployed, what.

Renzo on
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Still haven't purchased the original yet. With this coming soon and the latest PS3 bundle featuring the game, I'm hopeful that it will have a price reduction soon, such as Europe already has experienced.

In any case, I will be watching to see what the sequel develops into. "Free climbing" mechanic?

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hmmm, free climbing eh? Hopefully they make it a bit more interesting / challenging then Assassin's Creed's free climbing. While auto-climb can be fun, I want a little challenge in my adventure platformer shooter games.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I played Uncharted after Gamefly surprised me with it a couple months ago. I absolutely loved it. I think it would have been higher up on the PA GOTY radar if more of us had PS3s.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'd imagine it is going to be an amalgamation of Prince of Persia and Assassin's Creed. Ledges and shit with some vine walls and stuff.

Stealth I don't mind. The first game got a little repetitive with constant gunplay so lets hope they mix it up a little.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Well, I'm not sure about the stealth, BUT if they replace the zombies and sudden change of gameplay style that came with them for stealth, I'd be a happy camper.

A lot of the cover-based mechanic has an element of stealth behind it anyway; perhaps the point is that if you're hiding, or staying behind cover, you can "lose" enemies, or trick them, instead of the "always know exactly where you're hiding" gameplay of Uncharted.

Still, really liked Uncharted 1 and, unless they screw almost everything up, I'm on board for 2.

i honestly think a silenced pistol could be enough to make a decent stealth element from the existing uncharted engine. there were quite a few sections in the first game where you could get by a few guys by sneaking up and stealth-killing them alone - combined with a gun that doesn't alert enemies to your presence as soon as it's fired, the potential for strategy expands a hell of a lot

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Awesome! I can't wait!

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    I played Uncharted after Gamefly surprised me with it a couple months ago. I absolutely loved it. I think it would have been higher up on the PA GOTY radar if more of us had PS3s.

it was my game of the year for sure - but the year was 2007

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Marikir wrote: »
    Still haven't purchased the original yet. With this coming soon and the latest PS3 bundle featuring the game, I'm hopeful that it will have a price reduction soon, such as Europe already has experienced.

In any case, I will be watching to see what the sequel develops into. "Free climbing" mechanic?

Go play the first one.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    I'd imagine it is going to be an amalgamation of Prince of Persia and Assassin's Creed. Ledges and shit with some vine walls and stuff.

Stealth I don't mind. The first game got a little repetitive with constant gunplay so lets hope they mix it up a little.

Its an action/adventure title. Theres going to be guns/fighting and jumping about. What else did you expect?

And nothing about it got repetetive, it was incredibly well paced.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    playstation blog has a post from naughty dog about the announcement, and the title Uncharted 2: Among Thieves is official

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Its an action/adventure title. Theres going to be guns/fighting and jumping about. What else did you expect?

If there is one complaint with an otherwise flawless game it is that the firefights were more or less the same, or at least extended beyond their natural fun length. Just a little.

Im just saying stealth sections are a nice palette cleanser in action games such as this.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I honestly thought Uncharted 1 was a bit heavy on the gunplay vs the puzzle / platforming / stealth. Not that this is a terrible thing, but there are already plenty of shooty mcshooter games out there, and Nathan Drake is not supposed to be a special forces commando.

I only rented the first, but I will sure as hell buy this one.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't know how I feel about Uncharted.

It didn't do anything bad, but... it was like a jack of all trades, yeah? you know, the master of none? Like that.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Renzo wrote: »
    So excited woo. I played the first game in one 8 hour sitting. So good.

...I was unemployed, what.

lol. I did the exact same thing.

Not having a job is great!

I need money. so bad.

Etiowsa on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    I don't know how I feel about Uncharted.

It didn't do anything bad, but... it was like a jack of all trades, yeah? you know, the master of none? Like that.

The only thing that really rubbed me the wrong way were the vehicle sections. They just felt rough compared to how smooth the rest of the game was.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I agree that the first was a bit heavy on the gunplay. Hopefully there will be some method to make it more optional in the second, perhaps allowing you to use stealth to bypass fights if you want.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008

If there is one complaint with an otherwise flawless game it is that the firefights were more or less the same, or at least extended beyond their natural fun length. Just a little.

Im just saying stealth sections are a nice palette cleanser in action games such as this.

If stealth is an option and not the rule sure. I don't enjoy sections of forced stealth were detection results in failure or any of that bullshit.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    All of you need to stop making me want a PS3 even more.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    There is a rumoured price drop in March. If it goes I suspect it going maybe £50 to compete with Elites. Maybe 30 since the diff for a wireless adapter and blu-ray would seem worth it while getting it out of the 299 bracket.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    the thing i love about uncharted's combat is that it's always different. the ai is great, the arenas broad enough to get creative in, the weapons and ammo considered enough to require some real strategic management.

i'm playing it through for the fifth or sixth time right now and i can tell you it's not because of the platforming

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hmm. Maybe I can wait till then.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Man the gunplay in Uncharted just felt so right. Graphics were stupendous, guns had kick, good sounds, when you shot someone you could immediately see the effect. All gunplay should be like that. All of the climbing felt pretty on-rails, not terrible, but definitely obviously linear. Any improvements to that would be great. If the production values are equal to or better than the first one I will be all over this.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I think this is for youBANGBANGBANG

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    And when Amy is done with this, she gets back on the LOK sequel script.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I only ask that you keep Elena and Nate. Obviously Nate is still on board. Keep Elena (and her VO) and Naughty Dog can turn the whole thing into a turn-based RPG for all I care - it'll be awesome.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Sounds like they're going for an almost Indiana Jones style of sequel, as in it is not continuous but has all the same characters. Standalone.

Which judging by the end of 1 is a wise decision. We dont need Trigens all up ins do we?

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think this is for youBANGBANGBANG

Not during my first playthrough, but once I finished the game once I realized I was a little disappointed that wasn't actually in the game. I mean, it captured the jaunty feel of the storytelling and the tense gunplay, but yeah - I wish Nate had really hucked his radio at a dude >.<

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Sounds like they're going for an almost Indiana Jones style of sequel, as in it is not continuous but has all the same characters. Standalone.

Which judging by the end of 1 is a wise decision. We dont need Trigens all up ins do we?

They were finished.

DarkWarrior on