As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

QUIT POSTING IN ME

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    How is ammo handled on your companions? Like, say, if I give Cross a missile launcher, do I also have to give her ammo for it? What about a minigun?

Houn on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Houn wrote: »
    How is ammo handled on your companions? Like, say, if I give Cross a missile launcher, do I also have to give her ammo for it? What about a minigun?

I think so. The default weapon doesn't need any ammo though.

Couscous on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Anything you give them has to have ammo. Their default weapon has unlimited ammo.

freakish light on
  • DeathpookyDeathpooky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Does VATS even work with melee or unarmed or the various Big Guns?

Yeah. You can't target body parts with melee and unarmed though.

Not sure why they took that out for meele/unarmed. Most of the fun of VATS is being able to take out someone's legs or arms. Are you saying I can't break someone's limbs and force them to limp around before I kick their head off?

That reminds me - the first time I played through Fallout 1 I picked the trait which gave you faster firing at the expense of body part targeting, since I didn't know what I would missing exactly. It wasn't till a friend pointed out how awesome targeting was that I discovered my tragic mistake. Next playthrough was a ton more fun. Always target the eyes.

Deathpooky on
    Deathpooky.png
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ok, so I've done a small guns character and an energy weapons character; energy is my favorite so far, although I do love the combat shotgun. I'm thinking about doing a Big Guns character now, but is it really feasible in the early areas of the game? I mean, for a long time the only big guns I had access to were the minigun and the missile launcher; the minigun is really underpowered, though, and missiles aren't too easy to come by. Is it possible to focus exclusively on Big Guns, or are they mostly there to supplement other combat skills?

All this mod talk is making me wish I'd gotten the PC version. Oh well, my computer probably can't run it anyway, and at least the 360 is relatively reliable.

Duffel on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Deathpooky wrote: »
    Does VATS even work with melee or unarmed or the various Big Guns?

Yeah. You can't target body parts with melee and unarmed though.

Not sure why they took that out for meele/unarmed. Most of the fun of VATS is being able to take out someone's legs or arms. Are you saying I can't break someone's limbs and force them to limp around before I kick their head off?

That reminds me - the first time I played through Fallout 1 I picked the trait which gave you faster firing at the expense of body part targeting, since I didn't know what I would missing exactly. It wasn't till a friend pointed out how awesome targeting was that I discovered my tragic mistake. Next playthrough was a ton more fun. Always target the eyes.

Something about always targeting the head in VATS with melee. See also the trailer where the guy's head gets punched off with the Power Fist.

freakish light on
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Anything you give them has to have ammo. Their default weapon has unlimited ammo.

Also if you give them a unique version of their default weapon, that won't use ammo either.

Or at least it seems that way. I gave Charon The Terrible Shotgun, I know he's using it because I saw the weapon change when he took it, and he never runs out of ammo.

He also looks damn good in shades and the Shady Hat.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Or maybe I WON'T be starting a character. It's just crashing about halfway through loading a new game.

What the fuck. :x

Ledneh on
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The vaults other than 101 are some of the most anachronistic areas of the game. 106 and 108 in particular,
    conducted experiments early on that went awry and yet there are still people there, alive, 200 years later.

stigweard on
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I am convinced that Butcher Pete is the best song in the history of the world.

Ganluan on
    edited December 2008
    Ganluan wrote: »
    I am convinced that Butcher Pete is the best song in the history of the world.

This game has introduced me to Roy Brown. He is awesome.

Couscous on
    edited December 2008
    Radio songs still don't work for me. I just get skips and stutters. Three Dog's voice is fine, but the actual songs won't play right.

Houn on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Alright, so

STRANGER? Sucks.

It sucks.

Melee guys are basically impossible to fight, because they constantly jump around and you can't target them, STRANGER makes VATS useless, and you have so little health they cripple you with each hit.

And trying to melee them is useless, because due to how STRANGER was designed or something you are fucking garbage in melee.

So, I can barely escape the Vault because nightstick wielding Vault officers fucking destroy me

Pony on
    edited December 2008
    I think, instead of using all of STRANGER, I am just going to use selective pieces of it. See how that works out instead...

Pony on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Radio songs still don't work for me. I just get skips and stutters. Three Dog's voice is fine, but the actual songs won't play right.

Go to control panel>>>sounds, speech and audio devices>>>sound and audio devices>>>speaker settings-advanced>>>performance-tab and set hardware acceleration to max. That SHOULD solve your problem.

BlueDestiny on
  • CelixCelix Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I sometimes wish I had bought the PC version as well. Being able to respawn NPC's would be nice right now. Walter from Megaton has gone missing (i.e. probably nose dived off the water plant platform) and I have at least 50 scrap metals to get rid of (guess I'll just give them to the guy in Underworld). And I found Lucky the roaming weapon merchant dead in the middle of the wasteland. Again not a big deal but it's nice to have someone to buy more .44 ammo off of. I know there was someone else who had gone missing but I can't remember who it was atm.

Celix on
    XBL: Celix 360 only
    PSN: Celix78 PS3 and PS4
    Steam: Hirojinx
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Walter went missing on me as well. I just had to dump 65 pieces of scrap metal on the guy in Underworld. That would have been a lot of positive karma.

jackal on
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Don't fool with scrap metal for Karma. Either get your robot butler to give you water and give it to the bums, or donate money to the church at Rivet City. I forget how much the water is worth but the donations are 1 karma per cap; in other words, you can go from pure evil to angelic for only 1000 caps.

Duffel on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    Alright, so

STRANGER? Sucks.

It sucks.

Melee guys are basically impossible to fight, because they constantly jump around and you can't target them, STRANGER makes VATS useless, and you have so little health they cripple you with each hit.

And trying to melee them is useless, because due to how STRANGER was designed or something you are fucking garbage in melee.

So, I can barely escape the Vault because nightstick wielding Vault officers fucking destroy me

I read about that mod online, and it would seem that the lunatics have taken over the asylum there. More pronounced crippling effects? Yes please. Lower health? Yes please.

Most fighting done outside VATS? Screw you and the First Person Shooter you rode in on. Hell, if I could change the game I would make it so all firing was done in VATS, and you physically couldn't fire your gun once your action points ran down. Movement would also consume action points (while in Combat), as would changing weapons, healing, or taking drugs.

There would be a 'spray shot' mode in VATS to just take a quick shot over at the eneamy though, costing fewer points.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    edited December 2008
    You gan also donate money to the crazy church of the atom for karma. I don't see how encouraging people to get irradiated is considered a good dead.

Couscous on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Duffel wrote: »
    Don't fool with scrap metal for Karma. Either get your robot butler to give you water and give it to the bums, or donate money to the church at Rivet City. I forget how much the water is worth but the donations are 1 karma per cap; in other words, you can go from pure evil to angelic for only 1000 caps.

It's just like real life!

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lunatics took over the asylum?

Fuck you.

Fuck you and your pretentious ass. Someone wanted to play the game differently and decided to make a concerted effort to make changes to allow him and other people like him to enjoy the game even more. Not only that, he's a fellow forumer that's putting in work with us playtesting it.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited December 2008
    I like having manual accuracy be more important and skills affecting damage, rather than accuracy

but I don't like how it gimps VATS

so I've removed STRANGER entirely.

Pony on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    you're awfully angry that someone doesn't like that mod

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited December 2008
    Lunatics took over the asylum?

Fuck you.

Fuck you and your pretentious ass. Someone wanted to play the game differently and decided to make a concerted effort to make changes to allow him and other people like him to enjoy the game even more. Not only that, he's a fellow forumer that's putting in work with us playtesting it.

I concur, Mumblyfish is good people. If people don't like the mod, they don't have to use it; if they have criticisms, they should let Mumbly know, he's the kind of guy that would listen to it.

I'm going to take it for a spin tonight, I think. I'm a bit of a fan of VATS, so I might not end up keeping it, but I'll give it an honest shot.

Houn on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    it's the wording "lunatics taking over the asylum" that's incredibly dismissive.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited December 2008
    I think VATS is a workable mechanic, I just don't like the magical damage reduction that comes out of nowhere in it. That's pretty easily fixed with mods in the PC version (sadly not the case in the 360 version that I have). Stranger seems to have a lot of good ideas, a few of which though might turn out to make the game too much in the "unfair" direction. But that's why such things are modular so I don't really see the problem.

And Mumblyfish is good people.

Aegeri on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    it's the wording "lunatics taking over the asylum" that's incredibly dismissive.

Back to your cell!

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Eh 'm over-reacting a bit. Pony of all people told me this. Blew my cool.

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited December 2008
    STRANGER, based on my about an hour and a half of playing it, is just too fucking hard.

It makes the enemies way more powerful than they have any right to be without giving the player much in the way of compensatory measures.

Pony on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    STRANGER, based on my about an hour and a half of playing it, is just too fucking hard.

It makes the enemies way more powerful than they have any right to be without giving the player much in the way of compensatory measures.

wtf is stranger?

DarkWarrior on
    edited December 2008

wtf is stranger?

It is where you sit on your hand until it goes numb and then give yourself a handjob. It makes it easier to pretend someone else is giving you the handjob.

Alternatively:
    http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=79

Couscous on
    edited December 2008
    With the length of the game and frequency of enemies, I really wouldn't want to actually make the game harder or longer.

DarkWarrior on
  • ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    With the length of the game and frequency of enemies, I really wouldn't want to actually make the game harder or longer.

What an interesting choice of words considering the post above yours.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
    edited December 2008
    I am thinking of doing a nifty little mod when the GECK comes out: Food gives you extra temporary HP, sort of like how Buffout does. That benefit lasts for a good little duration, and then it wears off. After a while of not eating, the game tells you that you are starving and you get slightly reduced HP.

It would make food actually valuable, as opposed to now how it is a useless way to increase your Rads.

I think this is a good idea, but I'm not going to bother trying to mod it now when the GECK will probably make it a lot easier.

Pony on
    edited December 2008
    ilmmad wrote: »

What an interesting choice of words considering the post above yours.

You're supposed to post that Futurama picture and say "I see what you did there".

DarkWarrior on
    edited December 2008

2znzmnk1va3.png
    I am thinking of doing a nifty little mod when the GECK comes out: Food gives you extra temporary HP, sort of like how Buffout does. That benefit lasts for a good little duration, and then it wears off. After a while of not eating, the game tells you that you are starving and you get slightly reduced HP.
    Food is way to damn common for that to do anything other than make people eat some food every X amount of time.

Did anybody else find it odd that you never come across any still cared for farms?

Couscous on
    edited December 2008

2znzmnk1va3.png

WTF is that?

Aegeri on
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Got it working. Damn unarmed sucks ass to start

Ledneh on
    edited December 2008
    Got it working. Damn unarmed sucks ass to start

Get Lockpick 50.

Go east of Springvale School, to the river. Look for a beached tugboat.

In the tugboat, in a container with an Average lock, there is a Power Fist.

Pony on
This discussion has been closed.