As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How cheesy will the 00's look?

• Options
    BitstreamBitstream Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Octoparrot wrote: »
    I just skimmed this. Has anyone mentioned hoodies?

As what, the most comfortable piece of clothing ever? I agree it's been a big part of casual fashion for the last decade-plus, but so have pants.

Oh man, guys, remember pants? Hilarious.

Seriously, though, I think hoodies or some related item (basically any zip-front overshirt with pockets) are pretty much here to stay as long as people have torsos and various gadgets to carry around.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    A more apt simile would be instead of pants, yoga-pants or those pyjama bottoms.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    A more apt simile would be instead of pants, yoga-pants or those pyjama bottoms.

Hoodies have been prevalent since the 70's at least...

moniker on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    moniker wrote: »

Then I will cede.

But damned if every child I see is dressed: Hoodie, jeans, sandals.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Octoparrot wrote:

Not really, as pants as we know them were a new trend in fashion a couple of hundred years ago, and I'm sure there were French aristocrats laughing at the commoners for wearing something past the knee. Unfortunately for the breeches crowd the modern trouser proved to be a pretty damned convenient and comfortable item and has remained popular to this day.

Bitstream on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Then I will cede.

Change the sandals out for boots and you just described every construction site in the fall for decades. Maybe throw in a reflective vest or carhartt jacket.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Then I will cede.

Now sandals, you've got something there. Definitely an item that's gone in and out of fashion over the decades, and I'll be glad when they're uncool again so I can wear my Tevas purely for comfort and washability :P

Bitstream on
  • Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Then I will cede.

I'll give you this much, at least: hoodies have been kind of a regional/cultural thing up until a couple of years ago. They've been essential gear for at least two big chunks of the counter culture (hip hop and skate) since the 70s, and they've been popular anywhere that has crappy weather (like Seattle or Chicago) for decades, but I think it's fair to say that you wouldn't have seen them in, say, Tuscon before 1999 or so.

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Hoodies are a silly thing to complain about--they are rather utilitarian really.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    arod_77 wrote: »
    Hoodies are a silly thing to complain about--they are rather utilitarian really.

And hot. I can't be the only person who thinks girls get +3 attractive from hoodies.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Cervetus wrote: »

And hot. I can't be the only person who thinks girls get +3 attractive from hoodies.
    Definitely, hiding all their features and giving them a nice unisex look

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    mugginns wrote: »

To the vast majority of people wearing them, at least in fucking Florida, the hood itself is a vestigial appendage, which does not get used even on the coldest of days.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

uhhh yeah what the hell. no one, no one, looks hot in a hoodie. are you kidding me? there are some hoodies that are more sexless than others, but in general hoodies are a big turn off. which is ok, because after all the point of clothing is not always to appeal to members of the opposite sex. but hoodies are 98 percent of the time not sexy.

edit: I'm from the Bay Area and I currently live in Portland, and I can 100 percent affirm the unsexiness of hoodies.

real_pochacco on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Okay, so maybe I am weird.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I've seen some that are fitted and rather complementary of the :winky: variety. They were pretty thin, though, so not nearly as utilitarian or useful as the more bulky ones.

moniker on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    gentle_fawn-sage_dairy1.jpg

Hoodies can be sexy depending on the girl, the hoodie, and preference of said person. Much like a dress that covers more of a woman's body and figure can make her more attractive than a mini skirt.

Quid on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    'Hot' is the wrong word. Cute would be much better.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    'Hot' is the wrong word. Cute would be much better.
    I guess. I don't think there is anything inherently unsexy about hoodies, no different than any other garment of clothing. They just must be nice.

Snork on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm surprised by the amount of people mentioning emo as something 00s will be remembered for. Are the 90s really remembered for Marilyn Manson and goths?

Has everyone forgotten those early 90s splash-of-paint huge-print graphic shirts? The most cringe-worthy things tend to be the stuff we didn't even realise we were doing and only see clearly after a decade of seperation. Like early 90s earth-tone make up. Yeck.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm not sure on this - is the bro culture considered of the 00's? As far as trends, broism and retro, ironic hipsters are what I immediately associate with this decade.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    "Retro" and hipsters are as much of a constant as pants are. You might as well say that you associate people in their 20s with this decade. There was a great deal of 60s and 70s retro shit in the 90s, and just as many hipsters who thought they were above it all. (They now have mortgages and kids, most likely.)

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    gentle_fawn-sage_dairy1.jpg

Hoodies can be sexy depending on the girl, the hoodie, and preference of said person. Much like a dress that covers more of a woman's body and figure can make her more attractive than a mini skirt.
    She'd look a lot better in something that didn't make her look like a dude

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Talka wrote: »
    I think YouTube is going to be mocked pretty relentlessly in the future, much in the same way it's easy to mock those gigantic fifteen pound cell phones from the early 90s.

I mean, it's an emerging technology, but hopefully we advance to the point where we can look back and laugh at the hilariously grainy and tiny videos and the awful setup of that website.

First time I've ever limed something. So very true. At least if it's not true I think I'll have to cry.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    For a few minutes, I thought we'd actually get off fairly well. Most recent decades have at least one fashion misstep that is endlessly mocked in the future. The 90s did okay, but it had flannel. The 80s were practically defined by their goofy clothing. The 70s had bell bottoms and everything else disco. We seemed okay.

And then one word hit me: "emo." Yeah, we'll be hearing Fallout Boy jokes for the next 30 years.

You're letting non-emo fashion off WAY too easy.

CobraTwill-01.1.jpg

poppedcollarsweb.jpg

crocs.jpg

BubbaT on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    She'd look a lot better in something that didn't make her look like a dude
    There's certainly no accounting for bad taste.

Quid on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    BubbaT wrote: »
    For a few minutes, I thought we'd actually get off fairly well. Most recent decades have at least one fashion misstep that is endlessly mocked in the future. The 90s did okay, but it had flannel. The 80s were practically defined by their goofy clothing. The 70s had bell bottoms and everything else disco. We seemed okay.

And then one word hit me: "emo." Yeah, we'll be hearing Fallout Boy jokes for the next 30 years.

CobraTwill-01.1.jpg

poppedcollarsweb.jpg

crocs.jpg

The problem is that trucker hats lasted a week and were mocked relentlessly, and crocs are supposed to look stupid.

As for youtube being like giant cell phones, you have to remember that most people today can't imagine how those bricks, let alone the briefcase-sized phones, counted as portable, but can imagine a crappy little black-and-white TV.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited December 2008
    Don't forget about hats with the stickers still on the bill

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited December 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »
    ...and crocs are supposed to look stupid.

You beat me to this because while I remember crocs suddenly being in, I never remember them being cool.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    BubbaT wrote: »

(img snip)

The problem is that trucker hats lasted a week and were mocked relentlessly, and crocs are supposed to look stupid.

As for youtube being like giant cell phones, you have to remember that most people today can't imagine how those bricks, let alone the briefcase-sized phones, counted as portable, but can imagine a crappy little black-and-white TV.

Trucker hats lasted longer than that Jennifer Aniston hairdo or Puff Daddy's shiny suits. And I didn't even put up a pic of something much worse - fat folks trying to work the lowrider jean/thong combo.

Seriously the 00s aren't getting away scot-free with what they thought looked cool. You have a generation who thinks it looks cool to ride around on tiny motorcycles like they're training to become high-speed circus clowns.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

You beat me to this because while I remember crocs suddenly being in, I never remember them being cool.

Yea, it's funny because at my job as a lifeguard, crocs have become the defacto shoe to wear on deck. I resisted them for the longest time, but they are pretty much the best type of footwear for lifeguards to wear. They don't get as smelly over time, decent grip, don't care if they get wet, and are easy to get on/off.

I feel dirty every shift I work that I have to put them on, but damnit they do the job.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    wunderbar wrote: »

Yea, it's funny because at my job as a lifeguard, crocs have become the defacto shoe to wear on deck. I resisted them for the longest time, but they are pretty much the best type of footwear for lifeguards to wear. They don't get as smelly over time, decent grip, don't care if they get wet, and are easy to get on/off.

I feel dirty every shift I work that I have to put them on, but damnit they do the job.

Get an elevator.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    wishdawishda Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Crocs, like steel-toed work boots and trucker hats, are excellent things for the environment in which they are designed. It's when you see teenager wearing them at the mall that the mocking should start.

wishda on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    If you think emo fashion is the one thing people will look back on and mock about the 00's then you are not paying enough attention

the style of dress is probably one of the more tolerable aspects of the subculture for me at least
    tight jeans on guys is now a part of plenty of other fashions, and even the silliest of bangs-in-eyes hairdos has nothing on the 1980's

Snork on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah but we aren't talking about the 80s, we're talking about the 00s.

Also guys wearing chick jeans and doing the MySpace profile pic poses and blogging about killing themselves.

And the pictures man, the pictures.

http://fatemokidlol.ytmnd.com/

http://questionabletopic.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/emo-vs-goth.jpg

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/kevinzing/FatEmoCookies.jpg

And the mockery...

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/video/emo

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

When I worked as a lifeguard, I wore deck shoes, which had all of the above qualities with the added bonus that you could wear them places other than the waterfront without looking like a prat.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Kagera wrote: »

Also guys wearing chick jeans and doing the MySpace profile pic poses and blogging about killing themselves.

And the mockery...

Holy Good God No!

But really, stupid teenagers in black with odd hair appear to be a constant of modern life. What about the amount of police procedural drama on TV? Has there ever been so much of this shit?

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

And the mockery...

this is basically the equivalent of saying in the fashion thread that hats are a terrible idea and posting a bunch of pictures of douchebags trying to wear fedoras and failing like no one has ever failed before
    or saying tattoos are the worst shit ever and posting something like this
    ink_5879.jpeg

Snork on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think the 00's will be remembered for being, well, nothing. And don't say Emo. Emo became meaningless damn near overnight as a classification due to douchbags deciding anything they didn't like sucked and had no redeeming qualities reguardless of the reason they didn't like it.

I dunno, I guess looking back the 60's was hippies, the 80s was largely butt rock and it's associated crossdressing/just plain ridiculous fashion (you can argue punk and the start of hip hop all you want but neither were ever "pop culture" in that period) but once we hit the 90's shit changed too fast to pigeon hole an entire decade and I think if anything that trend has accelerated. I'd say we've entered a time where years instead of decades are the increment we need to use to measure pop culture. Shit just comes into/goes out of style too fast now.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    GreenleafGreenleaf Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think the 00's will be remembered for being, well, nothing. And don't say Emo. Emo became meaningless damn near overnight as a classification due to douchbags deciding anything they didn't like sucked and had no redeeming qualities reguardless of the reason they didn't like it.

I dunno, I guess looking back the 60's was hippies, the 80s was largely butt rock and it's associated crossdressing/just plain ridiculous fashion (you can argue punk and the start of hip hop all you want but neither were ever "pop culture" in that period) but once we hit the 90's shit changed too fast to pigeon hole an entire decade and I think if anything that trend has accelerated. I'd say we've entered a time where years instead of decades are the increment we need to use to measure pop culture. Shit just comes into/goes out of style too fast now.

There we go. That sounds about right.

Greenleaf on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Snork wrote: »

And the mockery...

this is basically the equivalent of saying in the fashion thread that hats are a terrible idea and posting a bunch of pictures of douchebags trying to wear fedoras and failing like no one has ever failed before
    or saying tattoos are the worst shit ever and posting something like this
    ink_5879.jpeg

But in this case I've never seen an Emo that did not look like a moron.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.