As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cold power supply went boom? (solved)

ZekZek Registered User regular
So my PC had been sitting in the car for a while and was pretty cold when I brought it inside. I was plugging in the power under the desk and the moment it made contact I heard what sounded like a loud pop noise from the case, and now it won't turn on, no sign of power whatsoever. Anybody know what would cause that? Any way to revive my PSU or can I assume it's dead if it doesn't work when it warms up? Tried a different power cord, no go.

Zek on

• Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Condensation letting a capacitor short, is my guess. Got a spare PSU you can try on the machine?

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I am going with Ego on this one. It sounds like condensation collected somewhere and created a short. Just hope it did not fry the mobo with it.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yep my PSU was just plain dead, got a new one and fortunately nothing else went with it. Lesson learned, always let your PC reach room temperature before plugging it in...

Zek on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Zek wrote: »
    Yep my PSU was just plain dead, got a new one and fortunately nothing else went with it. Lesson learned, always let your PC reach room temperature before plugging it in...
    Well, cold is good actually. The problem was from it being damp outside.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Zek wrote: »
    Well, cold is good actually. The problem was from it being damp outside.

Or more likely, damp inside.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I know this has been solved but just to let you know whats more then likely is that it dry jointed rather then a cap going.

Ive lost count of the number of PSU's ive opened up and seen hideous dry joints where the solder has retracted due to the cold and then cracked during rapid heating up.

So if you've still got it, open it up touch up the solder points where you can see a small ring around the outside of the joint and you've more then likely got yourself a spare PSU.

Prime on
This discussion has been closed.