As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam|Source] Steam Steam LOL to buy EA in 5 years

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What's this Black Mesa thing - a remake of HL1 in source? I thought that already existed, etc?

That's exactly what it is. What you're thinking of is probably Half-Life: Source, which uses the exact same levels, models and textures as the original Half-Life. As you can see from the trailer, Black Mesa has updated graphics.

Peewi on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    What's this Black Mesa thing - a remake of HL1 in source? I thought that already existed, etc?

That's exactly what it is. What you're thinking of is probably Half-Life: Source, which uses the exact same levels, models and textures as the original Half-Life. As you can see from the trailer, Black Mesa has updated graphics.

Hey Peewi, welcome to 30 minutes ago.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ampix wrote: »

Hey Peewi, welcome to 30 minutes ago.

That's what happens when you have the reply window open too long without checking the thread.

Peewi on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Black Mesa:

HOLY SHIT!

Also, YouTube has a high quality widescreen version.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    mystic_knightmystic_knight Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just got a new computer and for some reason it doesn't want to run HL2. It just sticks at the loading screen before the menu. The only thing that happens is a little thing pops up at the top saying 64-bit mode enabled, and it just hangs there forever. If I put -console into the launch options, it lets me select new game and such, but then freezes again right before loading. Everything else in the Orange Box works fine, including the HL2 episodes. Anyone else get this problem and know how to fix it?

mystic_knight on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Are you sure it's not just taking forever to load? I know it does it for me, and I have a pretty monster computer.

urahonky on
  • Options
    mystic_knightmystic_knight Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Are you sure it's not just taking forever to load? I know it does it for me, and I have a pretty monster computer.

According to Steam I've played HL2 for 1.6 hours this week. 1 of those hours was straight loading and the .6 was multiple attempts after trying different things, so I'm pretty sure it's not that. That was the first thing I thought because on my old computer the fist load took forever, but I'm fairly certain it's just busted in some way.

mystic_knight on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    YES!

Dystopia is going to be released on Steam! :D

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    YES!

Dystopia is going to be released on Steam! :D

FUCK YES! Hopefully that means more people will be playing it. Dystopia is awesome.

EDIT: The stats system shown off in the video on their site is really neat, but I hope that some of the stats are saved directly to my Steam Community profile. I'm still surprised that no records are stored for L4D, since TF2 have had it since launch and it was added to DoD:S.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    So, Dystopia and Eternal Silence are coming to Steam... If Valve adds Zombie Master as well I'm afraid I'll have to postpone my L4D purchase :P

Impersonator on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You better not! L4D > life.

urahonky on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So, Dystopia and Eternal Silence are coming to Steam... If Valve adds Zombie Master as well I'm afraid I'll have to postpone my L4D purchase :P

I'm afraid that L4D and ZP:S are two completely different games. The only real connection is that they have zombies in them.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Idoliside wrote: »

I'm afraid that L4D and ZP:S are two completely different games. The only real connection is that they have zombies in them.

I didn't even mention ZP:S, mate :P

I get what you're saying but the thing is that Zombie Master is a very entertaining game, at least for me, it's a game in which you are the A.I. Director, what's not to like? :)

Impersonator on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Idoliside wrote: »

I didn't even mention ZP:S, mate :P

I get what you're saying but the thing is that Zombie Master is a very entertaining game, at least for me, it's a game in which you are the A.I. Director, what's not to like? :)

When you play, you shall understand young one.

Even more so when you play a good VS game.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I've just discovered something neat. Official avatars have finally been added to Steam community.
    http://steamcommunity.com/games/L4D/Avatar/List
    They aren't shown when editing your profile and it seems like there's only L4D ones right now, but still kinda neat.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    That's a really nice feature, nice find, Peewi :)

I hope other games do the same as well!

Impersonator on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That looks absolutely terrible.

Drool on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That's funny I could say the same thing about YOUR OPINION.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Found this on digg. (possible evidence of valve tinkering with a native Linux steam client which I'm hoping would lead to some native Linux valve games)

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/12/01/steam-linux-on-the-way-left-4-dead-carries-linux-binaries

LETS HOPE IT IS TRUE.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That's funny I could say the same thing about YOUR OPINION.

Seconded.

Drool is objectively wrong.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

At first I thought it was your own mod. And then I realized it probably wasn't.

Anyways, this looks a little bit like box wars and I really want to play it!

Arminas on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Did you notice how I posted about there being official avatars in Steam now? Apparently I was wrong about L4D being the only game to have those.
    http://steamcommunity.com/games/theship/Avatar/List
    http://steamcommunity.com/games/zerogear/Avatar/List

Peewi on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Did you notice how I posted about there being official avatars in Steam now? Apparently I was wrong about L4D being the only game to have those.

How do you always find stuff like this Peewi?

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ampix wrote: »

How do you always find stuff like this Peewi?

Sometimes when I'm bored, I look at stuff on Steam Community. I was looking at the L4D OGG and noticed the mysterious new avatar section. Then I posted about it here and on the Steam forums and on the Steam forums, someone else pointed out that L4D was in fact not the only game with avatars available.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Zomgggg. GTA IV released today, right?

Well, I've got a bit of a backlog, I might hold off on picking this up quite yet.

Arminas on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm going to be playing it ASAP. I will find a speedbike and drive around like crazy. Anyone know if GTA IV's vehicles disappear if you get too far from them?

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    I'm going to be playing it ASAP. I will find a speedbike and drive around like crazy. Anyone know if GTA IV's vehicles disappear if you get too far from them?

It's not as bad as the PS2 ones. I think they might go away if you leave one on the third island and then go to the first, but normally they stick around for a while.

freakish light on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yay! Time to speed down the middle of a crowded road VROOM VROOM

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Yay! Time to speed down the middle of a crowded road VROOM VROOM

Agh, I have been waiting forever for it. Maybe I should just go get it today.

Arminas on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Wow, I-Fluid looks so cool! O_o

Basically you're a... drop of water! It just looks amazing <3

Edit: Demo here! :D

Impersonator on
  • Options
    GibbGibb Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    WOW, was checking out moddb, saw this mod for HL2 called Lost Hope.

media02.1.jpg
    media07.jpg
    It blows every other thing done on Source out of the water. (Black Mesa is excluded.)

Not much details on it, but I'm SUPER impressed.

Gibb on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hot damn that is good looking. Add me to the list of the super impressed.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Visuals remind me a bit of STALKER. In a good way.

subedii on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What's so impressive about it?

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Also how do I make Steam download faster

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    LaCabra wrote: »
    Also how do I make Steam download faster

Stop browsing the net. :P

subedii on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm no-

oh

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Alternate answer: Stop living in Australia.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    any actually useful answers

LaCabra on
This discussion has been closed.