As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] Oh yeah. Slob those Knobs.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Saammiel wrote: »
    I'd rather they just bring WEs down to WH level personally. I feel like my WH does things about right. I can kill casters and I die to melee.

I'd rather see WH's buffed, since WAR is already a game that favors RDPS over pretty much anything that I'd hate to see any RDPS counters get their effectiveness diminished.

I'd even settle for having WE's and WH's meet somewhere in the middle, mainly by further diminishing WE's anti-tank abilities and boosting WH Bullet procs/damage and increasing their innate or gear-gained Ballistics skill. Which seems to be the way Mythic is heading with the new patch.
    The healing bullets ability was nerfed and from what I understand is more or less useless. What higher damage AE tactic are you talking about btw? Sweeping Razor? Dragon Gun (not a tactic)? Sweeping Razor is sort of cute but it has god awful range.

I was referring to Dragon Gun, and mis-typed "tactic" for "ability".

Lawndart on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    (servers are online now)

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Is 1.0.6 live now?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    SaammielSaammiel Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lawndart wrote: »
    I'd rather they just bring WEs down to WH level personally. I feel like my WH does things about right. I can kill casters and I die to melee.

I'd rather see WH's buffed, since WAR is already a game that favors RDPS over pretty much anything that I'd hate to see any RDPS counters get their effectiveness diminished.

I'd even settle for having WE's and WH's meet somewhere in the middle, mainly by further diminishing WE's anti-tank abilities and boosting WH Bullet procs/damage and increasing their innate or gear-gained Ballistics skill. Which seems to be the way Mythic is heading with the new patch.
    The healing bullets ability was nerfed and from what I understand is more or less useless. What higher damage AE tactic are you talking about btw? Sweeping Razor? Dragon Gun (not a tactic)? Sweeping Razor is sort of cute but it has god awful range.

I was referring to Dragon Gun, and mis-typed "tactic" for "ability".

Yeah, I guess I was thinking of some ideal world where RDPS wasn't dominant and MDPS was relevant to actual fights. I couldn't really support nerfing WEs right now, since it would be a farce.

And Dragon Gun is alright I guess. The 10s timer and having its radius tied to accusations sort of holds it back IMO though. I don't consider it a staple of my damage (currently I am confession specced).

Saammiel on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »
    Is 1.0.6 live now?

indeed

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Is 1.0.6 live now?

indeed

I have since found the final patch notes. No Bright Wizard will stand before me, ever again (or until another big patch).

Has anyone logged in yet and seen what this does to addons? Between Clean frames, Waaaghbar, and everything else, I'm a little bit scared.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    ElosElos Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hope europe gets it before the weekend. I really miss my engineer and want to be able to actually do something in tier 4.

Elos on
  • Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What exactly makes the WE so much better than the WH? I can't touch a WH with my sorc at 40. They undo me. So fast. Even if they are not completely up to snuff to some mirror, they're still pretty fantastic, at least judging from my view

and how can you call the IB overpowered? Its mirror isn't even released yet

The one that makes the most sense to me is that WE's get a tactic that boosts crit damage by 50%, and WH's don't.

Other WH complaints include how the WH Bullet mechanic doesn't proc nearly as often as WE Kisses do (although those complaints ignore the advantages of Bullets) and how WH's have to stack both Strength and Ballistic skill to pump up their damage.

I do think WH's need a slight buff, but a lot of the WH doomsayers ignore the advantages that WH's have, such as ranged finishers, a self-heal tactic, a higher-damage AoE tactic, and an on-demand parry buff.

I find it amusing that you didn't mention On Your Knees, the (AOE!) non-morale disable that WE get. WH gets a 3 sec single target stun that must be specced into (in a weak tree), is single target, and works only from behind. I often find it difficult to use my 'on demand' parry buff because I'm stunlocked by WE and Maruders, BOTH of which have AOE disables. Guess how many Order melee classes get AOE disables? Zero.

Constrictor on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    What exactly makes the WE so much better than the WH? I can't touch a WH with my sorc at 40. They undo me. So fast. Even if they are not completely up to snuff to some mirror, they're still pretty fantastic, at least judging from my view

The one that makes the most sense to me is that WE's get a tactic that boosts crit damage by 50%, and WH's don't.

Other WH complaints include how the WH Bullet mechanic doesn't proc nearly as often as WE Kisses do (although those complaints ignore the advantages of Bullets) and how WH's have to stack both Strength and Ballistic skill to pump up their damage.

I do think WH's need a slight buff, but a lot of the WH doomsayers ignore the advantages that WH's have, such as ranged finishers, a self-heal tactic, a higher-damage AoE tactic, and an on-demand parry buff.

I find it amusing that you didn't mention On Your Knees, the (AOE!) non-morale disable that WE get. WH gets a 3 sec single target stun that must be specced into (in a weak tree), is single target, and works only from behind. I often find it difficult to use my 'on demand' parry buff because I'm stunlocked by WE and Maruders, BOTH of which have AOE disables. Guess how many Order melee classes get AOE disables? Zero.

I also find it amusing that Bright Wizards get a morale disable ability that does more damage than OYK, lasts longer than OYK, has no maximum number of targets, and doesn't have a Sorceress equivalent.

Also, OYK's knockdown lasts for a whopping two seconds. Plus, thanks to the new CC nerf in today's patch, "stunlocking" should be impossible.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    EdgieEdgie TampaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh, I have a 27 WH, I can join this conversation!

All I shall say is, one on one, WEs are fucking scary against me. The damage they do is just absurd, and unless I get a parry early on to use a Confess!, they rip through me like a hot knife through liquid butter. Which would be fine, but I don't do nearly the damage a good WE can do, and that's with the vast majority of my equipment being focused on strength.

Even worse is the self-heal bullet nerf. Unless the other buffs to WHs are the bees knees, I'll have even less chance against a marauder or WE now. :(

Edgie on
  • Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

I also find it amusing that Bright Wizards get a morale disable ability that does more damage than OYK, lasts longer than OYK, has no maximum number of targets, and doesn't have a Sorceress equivalent.

Also, OYK's knockdown lasts for a whopping two seconds. Plus, thanks to the new CC nerf in today's patch, "stunlocking" should be impossible.

You mean the morale ability that DoKs get and have much more opportunity to use, given they're melee characters that WANT to be in combat on the front lines? That one? Ok.

Constrictor on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    You mean the morale ability that DoKs get and have much more opportunity to use, given they're melee characters that WANT to be in combat on the front lines? That one? Ok.

You know what, I get into enough dumb fucking "Nerf Witch Elves!" arguments on the WHA boards, so I'll just back out of this one, okay?

Lawndart on
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's only 1 cast and it doesn't stack anymore. They essentially made it as powerful as the 3-cast version (or close) with one cast.

If it's going to be a 240 or whatever willpower debuff and deal 248x3 = ~750 dmg or whatnot after 10 seconds, then it's worth using since that's a huge amount of damage that no longer has all the issues the 3 stack application had. However, if they do decide to increase the damage to that level, add in a +150% int bonus and crit chance and that thing is now deadly and way OP IMO.

I'll be honest, I never use word of pain unless I have absolutely nothing else instant cast that I can use. Which isn't very often.

Ardor on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Arthil wrote: »
    I know this might be better suited for say, the tech area, but since I'm looking to get a computer specifically for this game I think it's a good idea to ask here. To play this game with a decent frame rate, and with me being willing to turn things down for the rough stuff like ORvR, what kind of price range would I be looking at to build me a rig? I want to get a few opinions on this so I can try and ballpark how much I'll need to save.

Well crap my post got buried, what I get for posting it so early in the morning. Anyway, anybody have any advice?

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I know this might be better suited for say, the tech area, but since I'm looking to get a computer specifically for this game I think it's a good idea to ask here. To play this game with a decent frame rate, and with me being willing to turn things down for the rough stuff like ORvR, what kind of price range would I be looking at to build me a rig? I want to get a few opinions on this so I can try and ballpark how much I'll need to save.

Well crap my post got buried, what I get for posting it so early in the morning. Anyway, anybody have any advice?

I'm rolling with an e8500, 4gb of RAM, and Radeon 4850; with other bits (case, HDD) I was at about 1000 for that. I roll at 70-80fps average, with 30 or so in ORvR on High Quality with a bit of AA/AF on (and *lots* of performance tweaks). You could probably go to an e8400 (<$200), 2gb, and a 4850 and get the same with slightly lower settings.

The key, I think, is 512mb of VRAM, which WAR loves, and enough RAM to get through the memory leaks.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Just the guts of the PC? $500ish, if you build it yourself.

I only have a laptop these days. It's a C2D T9400 @ 2.53ghz, a GeForce 9600M GT, and 4GB of dual-channel DDR2 800 running Vista 64. It runs WAR at 1680x1050 at the highest settings, and stays over 30 FPS just about all the time. Smoke effects seem to give me problems when I first load them, and open RvR can get crazy, but it's still playable. And I can always turn the settings down to balanced if need be.

I try to run it at 1920x1200 on an external monitor, and it's playable, but I need to turn the settings down.

Here's Ars Technica's latest buyer's guide. You could do a lot worse than simply ordering everything they list for the budget box from NewEgg.

In fact, I was just speccing a PC for a friend there the other day. It had an Athlon 64 X2 5400+, 4GB of DDR2 800 RAM, and a Radeon 4850HD, plus case, PSU (both Antec), and mainboard (Gigabyte). Nothing extravagent, but nothing from budget manufacturers; all squarely in the middle range. Total price tag was just over $500. And that thing would run WAR like a pro.

EDIT: That $500 included the DVD burner and a hard drive as well.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    chrpnkchrpnk Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Totally should have gotten my shadow warrior out of T1 before today. I'm already bored of the all KotBS/BG scenarios.

chrpnk on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    chrpnk wrote: »
    Totally should have gotten my shadow warrior out of T1 before today. I'm already bored of the all KotBS/BG scenarios.

Hey you're the only dps character in the scenario, you should feel special!

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fireflash wrote: »

Hey you're the only dps character in the scenario, you should feel special!

My Zealot is only 11 right now; I'm actually looking forward to the onslaught of BGs.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Heh - did you know that a level 40 BW can tag along with someone leveling a new toon, kill all of their quest mobs and kill collector mobs, and the other guy still gets credit?

Well, now you do! ;p

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I need to grab the demo of Fraps so I can see what my framerate is. Not really happy with my performance, but at this point I'd guess it's just WARs engine. I'm running high-quality textures, not high-performance, so that might be my problem. However, with:
    CT2 2.6 1333
    8GB 1033 DDR2
    280 GTX

You'd think I'd be G2G. I'm also running at 1900x1200 thanks to the monitor I poorly chose, so ymmv.

Fryhole on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Blackguard whining - from reading the BG section over on WHA, it seems like people want a mdps tank all rolled into one. So naturally, people are disappointed. I spent most of my time on the R20 template, because the 35 wasn't available when I tested. The BG was very powerful AoE DPS in PvE, but I guess that doesn't really matter. The R35 template had the bottom bracket renown gear, no mount, no RR trained and no gems so it makes me wonder just how exactly people were testing this. Did they just run out into Praag, hit a band of order and flop over dead, then whine on the forums? Seems like it. It took me about an hour to figure out how to work things out at level 20, so I can't imagine the "full breadth of the class" coming out on the test server.

IMO, if you think the class is cool, play it. If it's not where it should be, that's what feedback is for.

Fryhole on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'll be playing one, made him this morning as a matter of fact. i know the WHA forums are up in arms, but I have faith in Mythic's ability to listen to feedback and balance the class.

I'll reserve judgement until I have about 15 ranks more under my belt, and lots more RvR experience.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fryhole wrote: »
    Blackguard whining - from reading the BG section over on WHA, it seems like people want a mdps tank all rolled into one.
    I don't want a DPS tank personally, but I was hoping for a Destruction tank with something at least approaching the kind of CC potential that my Ironbreaker has. Most of the IB <-> BG comparisons I've seen have been pretty negative on the BG though, both in terms of damage and CC capabilities. :| I'm reserving judgment until I've had a chance to play the class for myself in the live environment.

Edit:
    Hiryu02 wrote:
    I'll reserve judgement until I have about 15 ranks more under my belt, and lots more RvR experience.
    I like the cut of your jib, sir!

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    edited December 2008

You mean standing on the top of the Fortress wall and killing all the tanks milling around the flag beating on eachother and completely ignoring you has gotten old already?

Or does that only happen to Squig Herders?

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    I'll be playing one, made him this morning as a matter of fact. i know the WHA forums are up in arms, but I have faith in Mythic's ability to listen to feedback and balance the class.

It would be interesting to see what the forums would be like on WHA and even VN if this was the case for everybody.

Fryhole on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There really is no point to comment on anything other than my own experiences. I do have a T3 IB as well, and I'll be able to use him as a reference point.

Something else that I've noticed is that on wardb, is that the base damage of certain abilities is identical across the IB and BG, assuming equal points specced into that mastery tree. Looks like Mythic is going for fairly similar base damage across the tanks, all things being equal.

As a matter of fact, if you compare Enraged Beating, Grudge-born Fury and the Chosen's Relentless ability, (all channeled attacks) assuming 18-19 points invested into that tree, the base tooltip damage on all 3 abilities is identical. Methinks Mythic has some idea of what they are doing with the careers. I have faith.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I played on test and on the level 35 template I didn't do great in PvP. I have to say that experience and skill will change that as I had an ah ha moment where I just sort of jived with the class and held off 2 bw's and 5 Knobs for a lot longer then should ever have been possible. Sure I died, but I kept them busy enough to let my team re-group.

It was glorious and what I expect to be able to do when I actually know what I am doing.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Looks like the Zone Control Victory Point changes didnt make it in with this patch.

Battle Field Objectives are still only worth 6 points, and Keeps are only 16, out of the 100 total needed to flip the zone.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited December 2008

It would be interesting to see what the forums would be like on WHA and even VN if this was the case for everybody.

Empty?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I need to grab the demo of Fraps so I can see what my framerate is. Not really happy with my performance, but at this point I'd guess it's just WARs engine. I'm running high-quality textures, not high-performance, so that might be my problem. However, with:
    CT2 2.6 1333
    8GB 1033 DDR2
    280 GTX

You'd think I'd be G2G. I'm also running at 1900x1200 thanks to the monitor I poorly chose, so ymmv.
    Are you using BuffThrottle?

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As a matter of fact, if you compare Enraged Beating, Grudge-born Fury and the Chosen's Relentless ability, (all channeled attacks) assuming 18-19 points invested into that tree, the base tooltip damage on all 3 abilities is identical. Methinks Mythic has some idea of what they are doing with the careers. I have faith.

I spent an hour doing up a spreadsheet comparing the Ironbreaker to the Black Orc awhile ago. The level 40 abilities on the Black Orc do way more damage (way more in this case being around 15-30 depending on the attack). This was just base damage, though. The Ironbreaker improved pretty much everything else the Black Orc had to offer. It's kind of frustrating.

I chose the Ironbreaker to compare it to because the Ironbreaker is the level I think the tanks need to be brought to. A measley extra 15 damage on most attacks doesn't make up for the Oathfriend or Grudge mechanics. The only boon the Black Orc really has in comparison is da Toughest and like 3 free abilities, but those don't really compensate for not being able to use your utility moves whenever you want.

Toothy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Empty?

Would that make PA the #1 WAR forum?? /boggle
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    Are you using BuffThrottle?
    Yep.

Fryhole on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hey guys, have you seen the video of us Mouths in action?

http://www.warhammer-videos.com/play.php?vid=234

Nice! What are your system specs?

That's not my video buuuut since you asked.

BFG tech 280GTX,
    Intel Q9550 quad core processor,
    4gigs of DDR2 ram,
    and Vista Home Premium 64bit.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Anyway, I'm excited that my level 7 Zealot will have lots of fresh meat to protect her. I'm hoping I can force my army of tanks to not be dumb by standing where I need them to be.

Toothy on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So are t1 Scenarios rather miserable being 99% BG/KotBS running around? I got to lvl 4 with my BG at lunch but didn't do any PvP. I will say a group of BG's pounding on a Hero is pretty impressive, all those -thoughness debuffs stacking up ons.

Accualt on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    So are t1 Scenarios rather miserable being 99% BG/KotBS running around? I got to lvl 4 with my BG at lunch but didn't do any PvP. I will say a group of BG's pounding on a Hero is pretty impressive, all those -thoughness debuffs stacking up ons.

They are insta cast too.

Too bad that Order has like, level 11 WPs running around uber healing everyone >_>;

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Has anyone logged in yet and seen what this does to addons? Between Clean frames, Waaaghbar, and everything else, I'm a little bit scared.

I don't use either of those, but the patch does seem to have messed up mods that track buffs/debuffs, and clickcasting mods.

Which more or less makes RvR unplayable for me, as I can't find anything in the icon hell that hangs under target portraits during combat, and now I'll be losing my WhinySpellTimers / BuffHeads crutch.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Tricksie Order, always being all organized and stuff.

I might try to convince the wife to make a WP this weekend so I have a good reason to play a Knob. Why do I like every class in this game?

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Dizzen wrote: »

I don't use either of those, but the patch does seem to have messed up mods that track buffs/debuffs, and clickcasting mods.

Which more or less makes RvR unplayable for me, as I can't find anything in the icon hell that hangs under target portraits during combat, and now I'll be losing my WhinySpellTimers / BuffHeads crutch.

More scared, now. Terrified even.

And all of you with your GTX 280s make my epeen feel insecure. You're going to drive me to buy a 4870x2 and go for 60+ FPS in ORvR.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.