As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Miniphalla] Phallthy Words - Game Over, End of the Profane

18910111214»

• SilvioSilvio Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, that was a good time! Thanks for hosting, Micro.

Silvio on
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That's actually amusing. Death by oversleeping!

Darian on
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Talking to Law, he was about to convert me, but guess what happened?

FUCKING MAXIMUS CHANGED IT TO A KILL ORDER!

Thetheroo on
  • GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I had a good time, glad I decided to protect myself day1. Why do I always get targeted day1 in minis but absolutely ignored in main phallas? I'll never know.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That's frustrating that Darian did what he did. Re-reading the PM's, it isn't spelled out that the converted are part of the evil side, but the PM that Micro sent to us made it out that these were full conversions and that the people we converted would be working with us.

For reference, this is the PM we received after our first successful conversion:
    "Dear Candle, you are now corrupted.

You had a think about it, and you’ve realised that the world can’t really live without profanity. People would show their anger in other, more inappropriate an violent means. Thus, you now support the use of prpfanity.

To all intents and purposes you will still appear to be good old Candle, but in reality you are now COCK.

Your win condition has also been changed – you must now just survive until the end of the game – you of course no longer wish to wite-out the profane.

If you are seered, vig’d or voted off you will now show up in your new form.

The BIG 3, who will probably be in touch, have discovered various powers associated with the use of their names. If YOUR new word is used in the thread, it does not confer any advantages. This will sound all very vague, but I'm sure the other profanities will be in touch to discuss things further."

As you will see, I have changed the last paragraph - the newly converted profanities are part of your team, you now CAN invite them to proboards, etc - but if their word is used in the thread it confers no special power in the same way that the currently discovered special powers does. Also, if all three of you Big 3 is wiped out, the game ends. The new profanities add to your win condition - but do not help you avoid failure.

I will continue to do all my communication with profanities through you three - and trust you will communicate with the new profanities as necessary. At the moment dagon does not know your identity.

Ben

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Darian is dead in every phalla forever.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited December 2008
    In hindsight, with that worded the way it was, we should have used a spokesman instead of inviting them to our proboard.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
  • The DagonThe Dagon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Great game, and I lived, yay!

After day two, when I was publicly seered and converted at the same time, I was in a unique position. My win condition changed to bascially a neutral win; all I had to do was survive. It didn't matter with which side I won, as long as I didn't die. I had the guard, seer, and a vanillager, plus the bad guy proboard, all at my disposal. Had I actually been able to log on more than once a day this weekend, I could have totally exploited this quite a bit.

Alas, hindsight is 20/20. Still a great phalla. God job Micro!

The Dagon on
    Steam ID : TheDagon
    PSN : TheDagon
    Pretty much every game ever : TheDagon
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yea, seeing as I still had darian killed I don't think you should grudge him. Thought it was an epic back stab.

M.D. on
    edited December 2008
    I talked about the mechanics with Micro before I committed to doing what I did; he intentionally left that door open as a balancing mechanism, and I took advantage of it. But I realize I fully earned grudges from Law and from abotkin.

Darian on
  • Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wow, seeing the mechanics totally brings everything into focus. It all makes sense!

Another great one, Micro.

Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited December 2008
    Ok, so we couldn't do anything to any special unless we happened to have a bunch of people swear that day, the one time we did have enough, maximus used the kill on thetheroo, when I originally planned on using it on Mr D or Vthorn. Super clever.

Why was there a need to have any further balancing mechanics on top of that? To be honest the baddies in this game were kind of gimped.

TheLawinator on
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, if everyone hadn't decided not to curse in the thread it would have been a lot more interesting, but as it was, all we had was a single convert a night, with the backstab we had literally no chance of winning.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
  • MagicManMagicMan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    After reciving my conversion PM I kinda figured that we could play both sides..I somwhat planned to do that but the game ended right around the time I was convered. This was a pretty neat idea though, kudos!!

MagicMan on
  • MaximusMaximus Engineer of the Harbinger Engine RoomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thetheroo wrote: »

I only did that because of you were gloating.

Sorry about that Law, TTR kinda pissed me off.

Maximus on
    edited December 2008
    Ah well, thanks Micro for a fun game, sucks that the profane lost like we did, but it happens.

Oh, and Darian is most assuredly getting grudged, apologies to Wildcat for thinking you were the traitor (you have to admit that being the only baddie not outed is rather incriminating.)

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2008
    The thing is, if it had gone off correctly everyone in the game other than Law and abotkin would have won that night. And this after the bad words went into the day feeling in a very strong position, expecting The Dagon to be in a good pro-board soon. From what I can tell, Mr. D still wasn't even 100% certain the vig was on the village team, since there were so few other deaths showing up and no proof of conversions.

I thought it was worth a shot.

Darian on
    edited December 2008
    You picked the wrong dudes to have lose.

TheLawinator on
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wha.....

I killed myself?

son of a bitch.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Maximus wrote: »

I really hope you don't take this too seriously, it's all in good fun.

These games are more fun if I have an antagonist to antagonize.

Thetheroo on
    edited December 2008
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    Wha.....

I killed myself?

son of a bitch.

That's just the sort of language that got you in trouble in the first place, mister!

Darian on
  • MaximusMaximus Engineer of the Harbinger Engine RoomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Maximus wrote: »

I really hope you don't take this too seriously, it's all in good fun.

These games are more fun if I have an antagonist to antagonize.

Honestly, I had a one shot vig so I thought I should take someone down who would hate it. That's what Fuck would do.

Maximus on
  • GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The Dagon wrote: »
    Great game, and I lived, yay!

After day two, when I was publicly seered and converted at the same time, I was in a unique position. My win condition changed to bascially a neutral win; all I had to do was survive. It didn't matter with which side I won, as long as I didn't die. I had the guard, seer, and a vanillager, plus the bad guy proboard, all at my disposal. Had I actually been able to log on more than once a day this weekend, I could have totally exploited this quite a bit.

Alas, hindsight is 20/20. Still a great phalla. God job Micro!

Well... I sorta feel like I dodged a bullet here.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ehh, if Micro intended it that way then all well and good, but personally I feel that was stretching the sentiment of 'no longer wish[ing] to see the profanities eliminated'.

Wildcat on
  • MicroMicro Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sorry this has taken so long.

There were a few competing mechanics going off in the game. Firstly, as rightly surmised earlier, the ‘BIG 3’ (as I’ve taken to calling them) had the power of conversion – but this didn’t completely convert – it merely made them a ‘lesser profanity’ with a neutral, survival, win condition.

The thinking behind this was that things would play out in a number of ways - depending on who the neutrals sided with at any given time in order to preserve themselves. Looking back through my pm’s I didn’t make it obvious enough that they were neutral to the BIG 3 – the ‘you of course no longer wish to wite-out the profane’ bit was meant to say to the neutrals: ‘you don’t want to die, as you are now profane’, but I buggered up, leading to the BIG 3 trusting the convertees perhaps more than they should have done. In my original pm I did state that they shouldn't be invited to proboards - I then changed my mind after sending out the pms and clarified this in a pm to the BIG 3.

On the good side there was the typical seer, vig, guard combo.

I realised that conversion vs one vig and a vote would make for an incredibly slow and boring game, so added in the swearing system.

Shit, cunt and fuck were all ‘activation words’ for three powers which were Vig, Guard and ‘Open Seer’ (which as you saw seered someone live on the thread). They were RNG assigned to each of the words each day.

I also had a list of about 25 or 30 ‘active’ profanities – all of which could be ‘activated’. But they didn’t individually give a power, you needed a combination.

So:

For the first 5 words on the thread – Overturn the vote to 2nd place
    For first 8 words – One more vig + above
    For first 10 words – Unguardable kill + above
    For first 15 words - Guard all remaining BIG 3 + above

Someone saying fuck 15 times would not have worked – it had to be 15, or whatever, unique words – so very hard to activate the big ones, but thought the 5 word would be achievable on a regular basis, which would probably also have activated the cunt fuck and shit powers. I was expecting you guys to learn that the words powered things up, but perhaps not quite so quickly – so was expecting lots of death in the first couple of nights, followed by the sudden realisation that you were slowly killing yourselves. But as it was you were all remarkably careful from the off; which I now recognise to be a design flaw on my part.

The words you were all assigned were for two purposes – firstly to give you all a character of sorts, and to perhaps make you feel a bit more attached, and secondly: if someone said your word (in the first CYAN game I played) and they were on the same side on you, you’d become automatically masoned. As it was, no one did it. On the whole the words were things that I saw whilst sitting at my desk while designing the game, hence the theme of the game on Day 3, or whenever it was.

With regard to Toxic Toys on Day 2 – his was the 5th word, which activated the vote overturn. As he was in second place, the vote fell to him. By calling someone a ‘Bitch’ he sentenced himself to death. Which I found, frankly, hilarious.

Where the mechanics fell down were the fact that in the first few days everyone seemed to target themselves – on day 1, VT, the Vig, targeted grundl, the guard. Which was crazy. Also, Mr D got lucky with finding Maximus straight away. Then with the converted Darian turning on the BIG 3 almost straight away (as he was seered straight after the conversion, another lucky hit) things got to the end game pretty quickly. The vanilla words really got lucky a couple of times with the seering, which was crazy really – and without it I think everything would have been much more rewarding for the BIG 3.

One last thing – bad guys saying bad words had no effect at all, same with convertees – so them swearing all over the place did, literally, nothing. They were just desperately hoping that someone would quote them – as happened when (I think) Magic Man quoted Maximus on Day 2, seriously powering up the profanities – giving them both an open seer and a vig.

All vigs were expressed via wite-out; that was just to confuse you.

Roles
    TheLawninator - Cunt
    Maximus - Fuck
    abotkin - Shit

Mr Defecation - Dictionary
    Vthornheart - Wite-Out
    Grundlterror - Book-cover

Wildcat - Roller
    The Dagon - Candle
    Locus - Glass
    Darian - Card
    WildPanthA05 - Mouse
    Rainfall - Screen
    Silvio - Lamp
    Infidel - Box
    Natik - Desk
    The_Reflection - Feet
    vertroue - Table
    Toxic Toys - Napkin
    Thetheroo - Fork
    kuhlmeye - Tree
    Arasaki - Pool
    Bitstream - School
    Egos - Sandwich
    Mad Jazz - Bus
    MagicMan - Lawyer

Role PMs

CUNT
    Well, you would have been Telephone – but you’re not, that’s just what you tell everyone you are.

You are cunt, of the profane.

Now you see, I’ve lied to you, and everyone, in the game – you are NOT the bad guys. Far from it. As Mark Twain said: “Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” And you can’t say that it’s not really, very cathartic.

The bad guys are those seeking to censor and destroy language – although they think they’re doing good.

So with your other friends in the “BIG 3”: fuck and shit (maximus and abotkin) you are not seeking to search, or destroy, you are merely seeking to survive.

Every day the profane may send in a target for corruption. Unless the target is a special they will then come round to your way of thinking. They will not be told who YOU are, or whether you are good, bad, etc, they will merely receive the following pm:

‘Dear _____, you are now corrupted.

You had a think about it, and you’ve realised that the world can’t really live without profanity. People would show their anger in other, more inappropriate an violent means. Thus, you now support the use of prpfanity.

To all intents and purposes you will still appear to be good old ______ [normal word], but in reality you are now ______ [profanity].

Your win condition has also been changed – you must now just survive until the end of the game – you of course no longer wish to wite-out the profane.

If you are seered, vig’d or voted off you will show up in your new form.

You have NOT been converted to the profanity team, you just are a profanity yourself. Your powers/abilities, etc, have not changed, you are still part of the village, and you must still vote every day.’

You may NOT invite any of the corrupted to proboards, etc – they have not been converted to yourside, they have just been corrupted into being a profanity. To use the corruption power, send me a target by pm, and the profanity that you would like to change them to. Currently, all profanities other than cunt, fuck and shit are completely open. You may not reuse a profanity name. You may change your target at any point up to vote close.

You win when the number of the remaining Big 3, plus the number of corrupted, is equal to, or greater than, the other unaffiliated players.

I realise that this is silly and complicated, so await for your questions about clarifications.

FUCK
    Well, you would have been Honey – but you’re not, that’s just what you tell everyone you are.

You are fuck, of the profane.

Now you see, I’ve lied to you, and everyone, in the game – you are NOT the bad guys. Far from it. As Mark Twain said: “Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” And you can’t say that it’s not really, very cathartic.

The bad guys are those seeking to censor and destroy language – although they think they’re doing good.

So with your other friends in the “BIG 3”: cunt and shit (Lawninator and abotkin) you are not seeking to search, or destroy, you are merely seeking to survive.

Every day the profane may send in a target for corruption. Unless the target is a special they will then come round to your way of thinking. They will not be told who YOU are, or whether you are good, bad, etc, they will merely receive the following pm:

To all intents and purposes you will still appear to be good old ______ [normal word], but in reality you are now ______ [profanity].

You have NOT been converted to the profanity team, you just are a profanity yourself. Your powers/abilities, etc, have not changed, you are still part of the village, and you must still vote every day.’

You may NOT invite any of the corrupted to proboards, etc – they have not been converted to yourside, they have just been corrupted into being a profanity. To use the corruption power, send me a target by pm, and the profanity that you would like to change them to. Currently, all profanities other than cunt, fuck and shit are completely open. You may not reuse a profanity name. You may change your target at any point up to vote close.

You win when the number of the remaining Big 3, plus the number of corrupted, is equal to, or greater than, the other unaffiliated players.

I realise that this is silly and complicated, so await for your questions about clarifications.

SHIT
    Well, you would have been Magazine – but you’re not, that’s just what you tell everyone you are.

You are shit, of the profane.

So with your other friends in the “BIG 3”: cunt and fuck (Lawninator and maximus) you are not seeking to search, or destroy, you are merely seeking to survive.

Villager
    You are [WORD]

Just [WORD]

You are just an ordinary word going about your business. Your quest, with the other ordinary words, is to survive, and remove the scourge of the profanities. Every day you will vote for a book-burning, by targeting another player. The winner of the vote will be burned, and removed from the dictionary of life forever.

DICTIONARY
    Not only are you dictionary, but you are DICTIONARY – collector of words.

In your ever-continuing all-consuming thirst for words and knowledge, every day you target someone to fully research, so that you can, if you want, add them to your database.

PM me your target every day, and I will tell unto you which word they truly are. I will absolutely guarantee that in this game there are NO thralls, all seer results will be 100% accurate at the time I send them to you.

Your win condition is to wipe out those horrid, horrid nasty profane words.

WITE-OUT
    Not only are you wite-out, you are WITE-OUT, destroyer of words.

You have the power to cloak, and destroy a words, covering them in glorious white, as if they had never existed.

PM me your target every day and it will be as if they never existed.

BOOK-COVER
    Not only are you book-cover, you are BOOK-COVER, protector of words.

You have the power to cover a word in cellophane, protecting them from all of those attacks that may seek to destroy, or change, them. Also, if anyone attempts to change that word, they are protected thanks to your easy, wipe clean, surface. The only problem is, you’re really quite flammable – you can’t protect from a book-burning.

Every day send me in your target and that person will be protected from the attacks of the insidious.

Lastly, the ‘convert’ pm was changed slightly over time to cover reasonable clarifications from the previously converted, here’s the final draft:
    Dear Card, you are now corrupted.

You had a think about it, and you’ve realised that the world can’t really live without profanity. People would show their anger in other, more inappropriate an violent means. Thus, you now support the use of profanity.

To all intents and purposes you will still appear to be good old Card, but in reality you are now BITCH.

If you are seered, vig’d or voted off you will now show up in your new form.

The BIG 3, who will probably be in touch, have discovered various powers associated with the use of their names. If YOUR new word is used in the thread, it does not confer any advantages. Likewise, if a profane character uses profane language, this confers no advatnage. This will sound all very vague, but I'm sure the other profanities will be in touch to discuss things further.

Am happy to take any and all questions/clarifications

Micro on
    edited December 2008
    It was an interesting game with some clever mechanics, Micro, and thanks for hosting!

I would agree though that the convertee PM should perhaps have been clarified somewhat. The tone of it (such as the use of 'other profanities') made it sound, at least to me, as if it was a straight conversion.

Wildcat on
    edited December 2008
    I do apologise for that

Micro on
    edited December 2008
    Don't worry about it, I had good fun!

Wildcat on
  • MagicManMagicMan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I had fun too and this was my first fourm phalla! It was pretty neat to see how it plays out compared to doing them in person.
    If I get addicted than it is because of you, Micro.

MagicMan on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yay! Welcome to the fold, MagicMan =)

It was definitely a fun Phalla =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited December 2008
    Hosting these things are so damn addictive. I've actually got plans for about 8 in my head at the moment - the favourite of which is 'Phalliative Care' - Internal Organs vs Cancer. It'll be hilariously inappropriate.

BUT if I try to host anything even vaguely before January you all have my instructions to post the words: 'Micro, stop being such a useless tosser - let someone else have a fucking turn'.

Micro on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    lol Micro, we've all enjoyed the games you've hosted, you have no need to fear about someone saying you host too much. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited December 2008
    Seriously, I've had a good deal of fun with you Micro.

And as I understand it, it's kosher for up to 3 minis to be running at once and there's only one active now (and it's still in signups too).

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2008
    Everyone that played this - if you're not in TehSloth's mini, GO THERE NOW

Micro on
    edited December 2008
    And there shall be a good grudging for all. :)

By the way, Micro, in case I forgot to say so before, thanks for a fun game with some interesting mechanics for us to play with.

Darian on
  • kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hey, had fun playing even though I was only a tree! Nice game.

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • vertrouevertroue I am Female Totes Not a SithRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I was a good game Micro, words...ahahahh they hold all the power.

Mawhahaha.

Table...

vertroue on
    Blood and Fire
    From the Desk of Darth Vertroue Diplomat to the USA.