As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Transfer XP license? *Fixded*

GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So my computer finally went tits up, and I can't really afford to buy a new one.

If I piece a new one together out of old parts I have around, can I do a clean install with my one copy of XP? I have the full install disks, but I'm curious if Microsoft will invalidate my install, even if the old one is no longer in use.

Glaeal on

• Options
    ffordefforde Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    YOu should be fine. Worst case scenario you will have to call Microsoft and explain the situation, at which point they will give you an activation code. They are pretty understanding about that sort of stuff.

I would not be surprised if it worked fine for you though, without having to call MS.

fforde on
  • Options
    DaySleeperDaySleeper regular
    edited January 2007
    The only caveat would be that if your copy of XP came with a Dell or similar pre-built, Microsoft may refuse validation on a new machine because the version on the Dell is 'specifically for Dells' or some such.

DaySleeper on
    magnum%20pi%20ferrari.jpeg
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    My copy is store-bought.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Glaeal wrote:
    My copy is store-bought.

Then you're laughing.

DaySleeper on
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    In that case, you should be fine. Chances are, unless you've reinstalled & activated recently, it will just go through. As a previous poster said, the worst that can happen is you'll have to call up Microsoft and do the process over the phone.

twmjr on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    twmjr wrote:
    In that case, you should be fine. Chances are, unless you've reinstalled & activated recently, it will just go through. As a previous poster said, the worst that can happen is you'll have to call up Microsoft and do the process over the phone.

I formatted, reinstalled and activated twice in as many days with no trouble (I screwed up my partitioning).

DaySleeper on
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    DaySleeper wrote:
    twmjr wrote:

I formatted, reinstalled and activated twice in as many days with no trouble (I screwed up my partitioning).

Well, I wasn't guaranteeing OP would have a problem, but it is more likely had he recently activated (especially on a machine with significantly different hardware) that a call might be necessary.

twmjr on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Thanks guys.

Glaeal on