As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam|Source] Steam Steam LOL to buy EA in 5 years

• GibbGibb Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Be patient? There is probably big load on the steam servers or something, I doubt there's anything you can do about it.

Gibb on
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That's what I figured, but it's telling me GTAIV is two days away. :(

LaCabra on
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    10% downloaded going at 1.2Mb/s weeeee.

Drool on
    edited December 2008
    150KB/s :(

LaCabra on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wow, I-Fluid looks so cool! O_o

Basically you're a... drop of water! It just looks amazing <3

Edit: Demo here! :D

Goddamnit people, try this! :x

Impersonator on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I'll just ask other people if it's fun. One of my friends bought it.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I'll just ask other people if it's fun. One of my friends bought it.

Might give the demo a shot once the Ghost Master demo's finished coming through.

subedii on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Trust me, it's a really neat physics puzzle game :)

Impersonator on
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    LaCabra wrote: »
    150KB/s :(

Download TCPview: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897437.aspx

Then, use TCPview (run as admin if you're on Vista) to close all Steam TCP servers (this is important, NOT the UDP ones, just the TCP ones). Steam will then reconnect to a different server, which will hopefully get you a better speed. If you don't go faster in a couple of seconds, retry until you get a speed you like.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2008
    That is exactly what I was looking for, thanks, will try.

LaCabra on
    edited December 2008
    Holy shit it took like eight goes but now i'm going at 800KB/s
    Thank you sir

LaCabra on
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This shit totally needs to go into the OP, I've tipped this to so many people already.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2008
    I'm pretty sure I saw you tip someone off before and that's why I asked if anyone had any tips.

LaCabra on
  • CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What's so impressive about it?

Maybe this is only the reason I found it so impressive, but those textures are holy fuck awesome. I'm assuming they're not stock Valve textures.

Edit: Looking at the screenshots on the ModDB page, it seems as if they might be post-processed to look better. I'm not sure Source is capable of some of those effects.

Centipeed on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Centipeed wrote: »

Maybe this is only the reason I found it so impressive, but those textures are holy fuck awesome. I'm assuming they're not stock Valve textures.

Edit: Looking at the screenshots on the ModDB page, it seems as if they might be post-processed to look better. I'm not sure Source is capable of some of those effects.

What effects?

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    edited December 2008
    jonxp wrote: »

What effects?

http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/11/10962/media10.jpg

If I loaded up the mod, would it be able to look exactly like that on my computer monitor with everything on high? It just seems like the haze and the lighting aren't something I'd see in the source engine. As in, that screenshot looks different from what EP2 was putting out.

Centipeed on
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

What effects?

If I loaded up the mod, would it be able to look exactly like that on my computer monitor with everything on high? It just seems like the haze and the lighting aren't something I'd see in the source engine. As in, that screenshot looks different from what EP2 was putting out.

Really? I'd say that it looks pretty much like HL2 once the episodes added the post-processing effects. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Visti wrote: »

What effects?

Really? I'd say that it looks pretty much like HL2 once the episodes added the post-processing effects. Maybe I'm mistaken.

It looks really good to me, def has that Source look though. It looks like they use a bit more textures and geometry than Valve does. Of course Valve is probably worried a bit more about scaling than a mod team is so I imagine a mod team can get away with piling on the geometry and textures.

Also, the haze and lighting just looks like a clever use of HDR and Fog.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Holy crap, Suicide Survival looks fun.

iFluid looks amazing.

Lost Hope looks neat.

I love my PC.

Sarksus on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lost Hope looks neat, but also looks like another multiplayer mod. Great.

:|

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited December 2008
    There aren't any special lighting effects at all there, I can't see what you dudes are talking about.

LaCabra on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

What effects?

Gotta remember that Valve has different design goals than other companies. "Bloom" and "Haze" don't look real, they just do a good job at covering stuff that looks even less real. Source is more than capable of doing both...they're technically easy effects...Valve just doesn't abuse them.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This should probably go elsewhere, but it's not really worth its own thread and its kinda got to do with steam
    Valve's Lifetime retail sales
    Half-Life, the debut effort released by the PC-oriented Seattle-area studio a decade ago last month, put Valve on the map and remains its highest seller to date with 9.3 million units sold at retail, according to statistics released alongside a profile in the November 2008 issue of Game Informer magazine. Gearbox Studios' expansion packs Half-Life: Opposing Force and Half-Life: Blue Shift sold 1.1 million and 800,000 units respectively.

Part of Half-Life's success can be attributed to the phenomenally popular Counter-Strike, which originally appeared as a free Half-Life mod. Sold separately, Counter-Strike sold 4.2 million units at retail in its Half-Life-derived incarnation, while the updated Counter-Strike: Condition Zero and rebuilt Counter-Strike: Source sold 2.9 million and 2.1 million units respectively. The Xbox port of the game sold 1.5 million units.

Half-Life 2, released in 2004, has sold 6.5 million units at retail. The 2006 followup Half-Life 2: Episode One sold 1.4 million units at retail. Half-Life 2 marked the beginning of Valve's practice of releasing its titles simultaneously at retail and via its Steam digital distribution service.

Reports in the year following the game's release pegged Steam sales as roughly equivalent to 25% of retail sales, but that proportion is known to have increased since.

Last year's The Orange Box -- which included new titles Half-Life 2: Episode Two, Portal, and Team Fortress 2, as well as Half-Life 2 and Half-Life 2: Episode One -- has sold 3 million units at retail since release. It was Valve's first product to be simultaneously released for multiple platforms.

The company's most recent game, Left 4 Dead, shipped for PC and Xbox 360 last month; prior to its release, Valve announced the game was seeing preorder numbers far in excess of those for The Orange Box. The company has projected overall sales to be 20 to 30 percent higher than those of last year's release, which would give it retail sales of 3.6 million to 3.9 million units.

Combined, the published retail figures total 32.8 million units sold -- 36.4 million to 36.7 million if Left 4 Dead projections are included.

All these numbers don't include Steam sales, and considering the 99c sale on HL it'd be a pretty safe bet that it's cracked over 10million sold by now

Hitsuraptor on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

What effects?

Gotta remember that Valve has different design goals than other companies. "Bloom" and "Haze" don't look real, they just do a good job at covering stuff that looks even less real. Source is more than capable of doing both...they're technically easy effects...Valve just doesn't abuse them.

I couldn't find in the thread what mod that screenshot is from. Can I get a name with that? :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited December 2008
    Darmak wrote: »

What effects?

I couldn't find in the thread what mod that screenshot is from. Can I get a name with that? :D

http://www.moddb.com/mods/lost-hope

Centipeed on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thank you sir.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Someone should make a game on of that suicide something game? I lost where it was. :(

Arminas on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Arminas wrote: »
    Someone should make a game on of that suicide something game? I lost where it was. :(

Yes, we have a thread here.

Peewi on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I just saw that World in Conflict is now on Steam for us Americans. Good stuff. I don't usually get into RTS games these days, but I had a lot of fun playing through that one last year.

SteevL on
    edited December 2008
    Something I never figured out in Steam: How do you use the Snooze status message?

Sarksus on
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think it happens when you idle for a long time... so you don't directly use it?

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
    edited December 2008
    Zetx wrote: »
    I think it happens when you idle for a long time... so you don't directly use it?

Whenever I've idled and come back I just see the "Away" status message before it quickly returns back to "Online".

Sarksus on
  • EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    A while ago I scored a cd copy of the original Half Life for $2.50 at a used game shop. I figured, worst case scenario I get Half Life for $2.50, which would be pretty cool. Best case scenario is the CD key is unused and I can use it on Steam and get all of the classic Half Life engine games for $2.50, which is an incredible deal.

Turns out the CD Key was unused. HL, Blue Shift, Op4, Counter-Strike, etc etc for $2.50! Score!

So here I am thinking "Hey, this register your CD key and then download the game thing is pretty rad, I should use my retail keys from Quake III and Team Arena so I can download them through Steam and not have to worry about the discs, which would be nice considering I have an eeePC and no external optical drive".

Turns out the cd keys they will allow you to register through Steam are fairly limited.

Balls.

Einhander on
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sarksus wrote: »

Whenever I've idled and come back I just see the "Away" status message before it quickly returns back to "Online".

It could be locking/unlocking the computer, I dunno. I never see it for myself. :P

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
    edited December 2008
    Sarksus wrote: »

On the Steam forums, a Valve employee has said that you get the Snooze status if you're idle for more than two hours.

Peewi on
  • Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The weekend deal is finally up. It is Spellforce 2 plus one of its expansions (Dragon Storm) half off. Either individually or in their package form.

I have no idea about these games, so here are some important looking pictures from the game. (NSFW)
    headerpt2.jpg
    miniclipelvescg4.jpgmorethanpz3.jpg

The second picture makes up the bulk of a 30 second teaser movie I downloaded from the official site.

Bruce Forsyth on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2008
    Steam is chugging like shit. I need to get my brother Left 4 Dead for his birthday, but it's acting slow as fuck. Never have had this happen before with Steam.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited December 2008
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Steam is chugging like shit. I need to get my brother Left 4 Dead for his birthday, but it's acting slow as fuck. Never have had this happen before with Steam.

Everyone is frantically buying Spellforce 2 after seeing the 30 second teaser movie.

Centipeed on
    edited December 2008
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

The client or the website? If it's just the Steam client, you can buy through the website.

Peewi on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Huh, I just bought something and my download is constantly swapping between "Download starting..." and "Download: 0%".

Dehumanized on
This discussion has been closed.