As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Creating a comic?

Kshah777Kshah777 Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Graphic Violence
I didn't see this discussion anywhere else, so I thought I'd post it. Does anyone here have plans to create your own comic or work in the industry? Not just "oh, I've got a cool idea for a Spider-man story", I mean actually sat down and created something, wrote a script, designed a character, plotted a synopsis, maybe even had something published. I'm just curious to see, especially since a lot of posters in here seem to know a lot about what makes a good comic and what makes a shitty one. Discuss!

"He ate a moose and he ate a whale, he even ate a mountain... of shrimp..."
~"The Ballad of Morgan Brown"
Kshah777 on

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2007
    I am going to make cartoons and hopefully comics

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have been working on a few scripts over the course of the past year. I tend to lose focus pretty easily unfortunately, and am way too critical of my output to finish anything, though. It's very tough for me to do breakdowns. Maybe I can Stan Lee script and get keith Giffen to do them for me.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I plan on trying to break into the industry after college. I'll most likely attempt to do creator owned material, but of course, I would love to work for one of the "Big Two".

Skullo on
  • Options
    Sugar MagnoliaSugar Magnolia Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm in the middle of writing something now, and I'd like to get into the industry after college

Sugar Magnolia on
    shoop.JPG
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I would like to write and draw comics, but I don't know if I'd be able to keep an entire series going. I have a lot of ideas for mini-series and one-shots, and someday I'd like to try and get them published.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Right now I'm just trying to break my brain out of the mental funk that it has fallen victim to after years of cerebral deadening so that I can actually do the meager writing job I already have (I'll be fired any day now), but I'd love to get to a point where writing a comic becomes a genuine possibility.

I look forward to raping all of your respective childhoods with horrific re-imaginings of classic heroes and villains. Hey, wouldn't it be neat if Batman was a pedophile? I'm just saying what everybody else is thinking!

robosagogo on
  • Options
    TehChowdTehChowd Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm currently writing some scripts. Some of them involve super heroes, some of them are shorter, Daniel Clowes-type stuff. I would really love to have some of my scripts illustrated and published, or even (god help me) write comics for a living.

TehChowd on
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I drew a mock cover that's going to be published in a Greek comic anthology.

It's a start!

ed: Oh, and I did 59 pages for the Artist's Corner battle last year. Just quick stuff, since we only had 4 days for replies.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm trying to figure why the fuck I chose to become a lawyer, and how I can rectify this mistake and become a comics writer without going broke.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2007
    Briareos wrote:
    I'm trying to figure why the fuck I chose to become a lawyer, and how I can rectify this mistake and become a comics writer without going broke.

make Phoenix Wright comics

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    DraXXXenDraXXXen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    A friend and I have been working on our own comics for the last year, thus far plotting out all the major story lines and events, character designs and backgrounds as well as lining up all the talent (artists, cover artists, printers).
    We have our two launch titles almost written fully, 2 mini series plotted out, and a stack of commishioned art (some of which being done by some actual professional comic artists)

If one day I get un-jailed I'll be happy to start posting more images and information (must post pictures!! acck....any mods here want to tell me how I can fix my sistuation).
    In the meanwhile you should READ READ READ! There are many great online resources (i'll post some after work), but for starters try the 'write or wrong' articles on Newsarama (who often have good comic creation articles). Also read these two industry bibles: Scott McCloud’s 'Understanding Comics' and 'Comics & Sequential Art' byWill Eisner.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=80711

also, expect to loose a chunk of money getting it done. We both work full time and this is our hobby, so we don't have the major stress (or drive, in another sense) of needing to rely on for income.

DraXXXen on
    donutMachine.jpg
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    Scott McCloud's Making Comics is supposed to be out now.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I flipped through Writing for Comics by Peter David at Barnes & Noble a few weeks ago

It seemed pretty good. The one section on naming characters is right when it says to make superheroes based off of names instead of trying to name your superhero.

It's so much easier that way.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited January 2007
    There is a cool little feature in today's Wizard about comic scripts, and different styles that writers use.

It had excerpts from Fallen Angel, New Avengers #22, Watchmen #1 and 52.

As far as writing goes, I have a few ideas that I think are really cool. But I get stuck in the planning stage and never get around to actually writing them. Plus, I can't draw and don't really know anyone who can, so it's a moot point.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    I look forward to raping all of your respective childhoods with horrific re-imaginings of classic heroes and villains. Hey, wouldn't it be neat if Batman was a pedophile? I'm just saying what everybody else is thinking!

Hey, people come right out and say that about Batman all the time. Robin, young ward, lol!

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm actually pretty dead set on getting into the comics industry in either a writing or art capacity. I've currently got two fully fleshed out ideas that will, eventually, be scripted, drawn, and made available as webcomics. I figure both will take around three years for me to finish, assuming I can produce four to five pages a week. Hopefully by the time they're both done I'll have advanced enough as an artist and writer that I'll be able to pitch some ideas to smaller press publishers, get some work and, assuming all my projects aren't total bombs, eventually get a job with Marvel or DC. Though that's me being ridiculously optimistic.

Of course, if none of that ever works out I can always use my degree to get a 9-5 and constantly gripe about how I could've been somebody.

When I buy a new computer and get my scanner hooked up, I think I may actually solicit people on these forums for short scripts to draw, just so I can kind of warm up and get used to drawing comics, since I'm still especially poor at sequentials.

Munch on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Munch wrote:
    I'm actually pretty dead set on getting into the comics industry in either a writing or art capacity. I've currently got two fully fleshed out ideas that will, eventually, be scripted, drawn, and made available as webcomics. I figure both will take around three years for me to finish, assuming I can produce four to five pages a week. Hopefully by the time they're both done I'll have advanced enough as an artist and writer that I'll be able to pitch some ideas to smaller press publishers, get some work and, assuming all my projects aren't total bombs, eventually get a job with Marvel or DC. Though that's me being ridiculously optimistic.

Of course, if none of that ever works out I can always use my degree to get a 9-5 and constantly gripe about how I could've been somebody.

When I buy a new computer and get my scanner hooked up, I think I may actually solicit people on these forums for short scripts to draw, just so I can kind of warm up and get used to drawing comics, since I'm still especially poor at sequentials.
    That is a pretty rad idea.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    So is it basically everyone on this forum then?

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    It's actually a better idea to get your own stuff out there first before trying to do DC/Marvel

that way they can go after you instead of you after them

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Heh, I figure everyone here would be looking to make funny books for a living. I for damn sure I am, with the unsatisfying job I currently hold. I've got about five "big ideas" that I've been beating around for a year or so which are at various creative states. I can't draw very well, so they idea is to kick ass at writing my more "serious" stuff and, possibly, draw very simple illustrations for less serious comics. The plan is to pick one of the ideas, get the details ironed out, and write rough scripts for several issues. Then, I'll see about finding someone who can draw that is willing to do webcomics in order to see if we can find an audience. If that goes well...I guess I'll do more research on pitching to comics publishers. The main focus for me now, though, is to get to writing.

As far as how-tos and reference books go, I just bought Writing for Comics by Peter David. You should also definitely check out Write or Wrong and Comic Creator 2.0 on Newsarama.

Munch: it would be awesome if you wanted to practice with our scripts. Now, if you could convince other people from Artist's Corner to do the same, we'd have a veritable orgy of comicry. :D

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I think that's the weird thing about comics. A very large portion of comic fans have at least one idea for a story that they desperately want to tell. I suppose this is because most comic fans tend to be of the more "hardcore" variety, with fewer casual fans than say, music, film, or novels. Still, there are always those hardcore fans of other mediums that want to be rockstars, but usually settle on playing in small dive bars around town with their friends, or put together cheap short films they cut together in their garage, or write a novel that sits on their laptop for years.
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    That is a pretty rad idea.

Well hey, thanks. I'm no great artist or anything, but I'm pretty decent, pretty quick and I've got a lot of free time. Plus I just think it'd be fun to see what people come up with.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'd love to see my own ideas actually come to life, but who doesn't? If I can't break into the industry as a creator/writer, I would still love to try for the possibility of an editor. Seeing as how thats what I kind of plan on using as a "fall back" job anyway, why not see if I can try to use that to my advantage.

Skullo on
  • Options
    El DudarinoEl Dudarino Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    me and a buddy of mine are in the process of creating a comic right now. I plan to upload the prologue when he is done with the artwork.

El Dudarino on
    lebowski11.jpg
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Right now my dream goal is to finish this mini comic I'm working on in time before the end of February. Then my goal is to make another one. I want to make comics, and always have, and I'm making these ones for my wife, because I don't ever see it as something I could pay the bills doing.

Not to derail this thread too much, and I mean this in as non-snarky a way as possible, but what's the allure of the Big Two for most of you guys? Is it the characters? The steady page-rate? It's certainly not my dream gig.

Although let me tell you, to be Brian Wood would be pretty nice. Signed to an exclusive salary with DC, but all they seem to want you to do is put out neat creator-owned Vertigo stuff. That would be grand.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Keith wrote:
    Briareos wrote:

That's actually not a bad idea. I'd have to play the games first, though.

I'd love to work as a consultant on Daredevil to make the lawyer parts more realistic. I'm sure it doesn't matter one iota to comics fans, but it irks me when the lawyers in the book don't really act like lawyers. Same goes for She-Hulk.

I actually see myself as a better editor than writer, because I have experience in putting out a high-quality periodical (and doing it on-fucking-time come hell or high water), editorial board experience, and copy editing experience.

The thing is the experience was on a scholarly journal, not a creative fiction monthly. I'm not sure how much that's worth to a comics publisher.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    hughtron wrote:
    Not to derail this thread too much, and I mean this in as non-snarky a way as possible, but what's the allure of the Big Two for most of you guys? Is it the characters? The steady page-rate? It's certainly not my dream gig.

Well, for me, I think what’s most appealing is the fact that you can basically say "I work for Marvel/DC" and not only is it just really cool, I'd say there’s a better chance of getting yourself noticed. Also, if you work for one of the bigs, your characters/stories (although you most likely wouldn't "own" them) get to affect other things, and can be carried on.

I'd love to work on my own characters though, or put out creator owned stuff through a publisher like Image/Dark Horse. I don't really have any stories I'd like to tell with the Big Two's characters, although I've always had some cool ideas that I'd like to throw around (concepts for Ultimate versions of characters, etc), but nothing really big. And I guess a downside to working for the big two is basically that most of their characters are set in stone, and it's pretty hard to make any lasting change.

Once again though, I wouldn't really mind being an editor. I find it weird, but I actually enjoy correcting things, and when I find typos, errors, etc, in books/comics I get kind of angry. (I picked up one of those “DC Universe” novels about the Question, and oh my god how did that get published?) Also, editors handle continuity and how things fit in with other books, no? I’d love to do that.

EDIT:

Another "Oh man, if only I could do this" job would be working as a producer or consultant type deal for Marvel animation. I'd love to work on a JLU-stlye show featuring the Avengers (Or I guess just the pseudo-Ultimates they like flaunting around now). To be the Bruce Timm of Marvel would be badass.

Of course, I'm most likely going to wind up with a teaching or editing job somewhere else, and just brood over how awesome this could have been.

Skullo on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Not that I'm licking my loins over the thought of Marvel and DC, but I figured they'd have a good benefits package at least. That and you can put out some really medioce work if you're having an off-period, and you'll still get paid.

The chief allure, though, is being able to contribute to the direction of an entire fictional universe that predates your own birth and will likely outlast you as well.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I think most fans have stories they'd want to write. Stories of vastly varying quality, probably. I myself have a variety of stuff I'd want to do, from takes on established heroes to heroes of my own to some truly bizarre non-superhero stuff.

From what I can see, if your interested in getting somewhere, particularly with writing, you're going to have to start doing your own stuff and getting it out there however you can; self-publishing, the internet, etc. Of course, there's a hell of a lot of competition out there, but if you can demostrate an ability to find an audience then it makes it a lot easier to approach one of the big companies for work.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    hughtron wrote:
    Right now my dream goal is to finish this mini comic I'm working on in time before the end of February. Then my goal is to make another one. I want to make comics, and always have, and I'm making these ones for my wife, because I don't ever see it as something I could pay the bills doing.

Having read some of your stuff and talked with you exhaustively about the medium, I do think that it's something you could do for a living. You sell yourself short.

Personally, I don't have a huge desire to work for DC or Marvel creatively. As an editor, it might be nice. The allure is the characters in part, and also in the recognition. Yeah, you're now telling someone else's stories with someone else's characters, but you wouldn't be there unless you were pretty good at it. I think there's a legacy thing there, too.

Just as much people want to leave a unique mark on the world, there's also a desire to be a part of something that transcends you. Writing Superman kind of speaks to that drive.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've come up with a ton of stories based on my CoH characters...short stories, fanfics, whatever you wanna call em. Basically, they'd be comics if it wasn't that I have pretty much zero artistic talent. But, if it were possible, I'd love to make comics based on those characters. Even put a bit of thought into creating a non-CoH setting for them just in case an opportunity came up that needed not to violate copyrights. :P

Scooter on
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've written and finished a few short 4-8 page one-shot comics, and I'm writing a longer 48-page OGN. One of the keys to getting published though or hired as a writer is just to have a back catalogue to show them, so the best thing to do is to hook up with an artist if you aren't one yourself and do a few 4-8 page one-shots, and if you have your own comic idea (on-going series, mini, or OGN) you're looking to get published, most publishers won't even bother with just a script. They would want at least 4-10 pages of completed sequential artwork.

The Big Two very rarely hire anyone that hasn't at least had a few major previously published projects under their belt.

Zavian on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have zero artistic skill, and although I may have a few good ideas of my own, for the most part I am unable to write compelling stories. Instead, I really *really* want to be an editor. I've found that I am actually pretty decent at tweaking other peoples ideas and works, but not my own.

My main goal is to be en editor at either a Fantasy/Sci-Fi publisher like Tor, or even better - working at Marvel or DC on multiple series. I would be the go-between for the artist, writer, letterer, and audience. And I think that would just be awesome. This summer, I'm planning on interning at a local publishing company to get some experience in the business. If all goes well, by the end of next Spring I'll be out of college and into the workforce.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So, does anyone know of any TPBs that are collected with the original scripts? Like the Anniversary Edition of Arkham Asylum? Preferably something involving Batman or another major character from the "Big Two?"

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've come up with a fair amount of backstory/concept for a comic character. I think I've got a lot of pretty cool ideas. I just need to set aside the time to try and jot down a script for a first 24 pager, but first I need to analyse how comics are written. Because, y'know, I have no idea.

It's rooted in a reaction against the Americo-centric natures of the big two. Because seriously, being English, it gets a little tiring. The worst thing is when they try to write non-American characters, or even have miniseries dedicated to patriotic foreign characters. Often the lack of a key understanding of those characters cultures is obvious to the point of being painful.

Edit: To clarify, they seem to overlook the fact that the superhero is, with very little exception, a uniquely American concept. The idea is, to paraphrase a film I hold very little love for, "Superheroes, fuck yeah!". Not enough comic book writers, I think, have latched onto this idea and explored how the status of superheroes could differ vastly in opposing cultures (or at least, do so in a thoughtful way, rather than basing it on inaccurate stereotypes). If I'm wrong then feel free to correct me, but it seems to reveal a lot about the industry that in this period where the superhero genre has been maturing for twenty years, we're still yet to see a writer tackle this. Again, I hope I'm wrong, so if anyone could refer me to an example I'd be genuinely interested.

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Zeromus wrote:
    So, does anyone know of any TPBs that are collected with the original scripts? Like the Anniversary Edition of Arkham Asylum? Preferably something involving Batman or another major character from the "Big Two?"
    Off the top of my head, Busiek's Marvels scripts are in the 10th anniversary hardcover. They're good reference if you want something traditional. I have also read some of Bendis's scripts for Powers and Kirkman's for Walking Dead, both of which have had various degrees of utility for me. I believe that most of the DC Absolute editions have complete scripts, but for TPB's it's kind of rare, as trades don't have a huge amount of extra features. Really, the only reason that the script is in AA:aSHoSE is so half of the people who buy it can follow the thing.

If you are serious about learning how to write comics in general, Scott McCloud, Scott McCloud, Scott McCloud. There's a lot in his work that addresses a penciler more than a writer, but it's all useful, especially in that it is going to help you talk to an artist on the page.

If you want a specifically 'big two' bent, Denny O'Neil's The DC Comics Guide to Writing Comics is good foundation. And Writing For Comics With Peter David. If you can only get one, I'd probably say go for David's.

But seriously, Scott McCloud.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've got a few ideas for comics. Some super hero, some non. But I don't think I'm nearly good enough to get a job in it. Perhaps just get someone whos good with art and start my own online comic. Or I'll just settle for being on "Who wants to be a Superhero" if they accept my tape.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    I know it seems obvious, but read a lot of comics. And then read them again.

Look at how pages are structured. Angles, panels, everything. I've found this incredibly helpful.

Also, the second Runaways hardcover has a BKV script sample in the back.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Lots of the Absolutes (Sandman) have scripts in them, the Bendis Daredevil hardcovers, too. There are also some in one of the earlier BPRD trades (Plague of Frogs?). 1602...

Those are what I can tell you off of the top of my head.

McCloud's recent Making Comics was actually even better than his early efforts.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I don't know if you can find any of Giffen's stuff in scripted format, but it's incredibly useful to study. Like I said, I have trouble when it comes to panel layout, and I love looking at the way Giffen does breakdowns. Just simple stuff like a change in camera angle makes a ton of difference. He's not my favorite writer in comics, but I have to say that in that one area he's pretty much the master.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Briareos wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    Briareos wrote:

That's actually not a bad idea. I'd have to play the games first, though.

I'd love to work as a consultant on Daredevil to make the lawyer parts more realistic. I'm sure it doesn't matter one iota to comics fans, but it irks me when the lawyers in the book don't really act like lawyers. Same goes for She-Hulk.

I actually see myself as a better editor than writer, because I have experience in putting out a high-quality periodical (and doing it on-fucking-time come hell or high water), editorial board experience, and copy editing experience.

The thing is the experience was on a scholarly journal, not a creative fiction monthly. I'm not sure how much that's worth to a comics publisher.

does it bother you when lawyers are totally crap in cop shows? my dad's a lawyer and he's complained so much when watching law and order or csi that now it bugs me too

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg