As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bomb hoax in Boston--Marketing campaign

• SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Elkamil wrote:
    nexuscrawler is now banned, for the safety of the forum.

Wait, what? Why?
    He has (had) a mooninite avatar.

[spoiler:31cd22ffda]It's a joke[/spoiler:31cd22ffda]

Senjutsu on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Elkamil wrote:

Wait, what? Why?
    He has (had) a mooninite avatar.

[spoiler:f0bdde7bd2]It's a joke[/spoiler:f0bdde7bd2]

*woosh*

Seriously though, it will probably turn out that the advertising agency told the city about it.

Fencingsax on
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Elkamil wrote:

Wait, what? Why?

his avatar looked like a bomb.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fine, let them treat it as a threat, but whining about it later when it's been found out to be the overreaction of a few paranoids smacks of sour grapes.

Ludious on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    redx wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Elkamil wrote:

Wait, what? Why?

The first person to learn how to E-mail explosives will conquer the world.

Fencingsax on
    edited January 2007
    Fencingsax wrote:
    redx wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Elkamil wrote:

Wait, what? Why?

dude check your email

Senjutsu on
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fencingsax wrote:
    redx wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Elkamil wrote:

Wait, what? Why?

Naw, the first person would probably end up with it getting bouced back to him.

The second person, who is smart enough to spoof the address, he'll take over the world.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If this post was a bomb you'd be dead now. Think about it.

Nartwak on
  • Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ludious wrote:
    Fine, let them treat it as a threat, but whining about it later when it's been found out to be the overreaction of a few paranoids smacks of sour grapes.
    That really is going to depend on how the actions of the people placing the signs is viewed. If they didn't have any kind of permission from the city, they could get hit up for wasting the time of the police (a suspicious object strapped to the bottom of a bridge is not something that only a few paranoids are going to react to, and nobody in their right mind should think that putting it there wouldn't generate a police response).

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • DeckmanDeckman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It's strange what kind of ridiculously paranoid state we've gotten ourselves into. It's gotten to the point where, apparently, people can build bombs out of a bunch of LiteBrites that look like cartoon characters now. I suppose that one of these things might have looked suspicious planted on a bridge somewhere, but come on. If this is considered a federal crime, I know someone who should be in jail for accidentally leaving his cell phone, which just might contain explosives, on a subway train.

Also, I concur with ak74u. Damn those things look awesome.

Deckman on
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Is there any confirmation that this was an ad agency?

Yar on
  • GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yar wrote:
    It was reported on CNN. The story on the CNN site doesn't say it specifically, but live they named the ad agency.

Glaeal on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Yar wrote:

As opposed to what? Mooninite terrorists?

Premier kakos on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This still isn't as bad as the kids who got in trouble for putting boxes that look like those question-mark blocks from Super Mario Bros. around their town.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This still isn't as bad as the kids who got in trouble for putting boxes that look like those question-mark blocks from Super Mario Bros. around their town.
    In fairness they'd be pretty hilarious bombs.

electricitylikesme on
    edited January 2007
    Terrorists are only allowed to do this if they only got off when you jump under them and hit them with your head.

Premier kakos on
    edited January 2007
    Yar wrote:
    Yes. As soon as Turner Media heard about this, they were talking to the police on the scene, confirming that these were their items placed their by a third-party ad agency.

All of which argues against any charges for "bomb hoaxing", in my mind. If the second you find out someone has mistaken your objects for a bomb you're taking steps to clear up the issue, you weren't intending to create a bomb scare.

Senjutsu on
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Link or it ain't so.

(I'm not doubting it, I just want a link to forward some people.)

Yar on
    edited January 2007
    edited January 2007
    Yar wrote:
    Link or it ain't so.

It was on CNN Headline News, no link.

Senjutsu on
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Terrorists are only allowed to do this if they only got off when you jump under them and hit them with your head.

but first the terrorist must master levitating boxes.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    edited January 2007

but first the terrorist must master levitating boxes.

They can make off-road dialysis machines, so I figure levitating boxes isn't too far off.

Premier kakos on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Yar wrote:
    Link or it ain't so.

It was on CNN Headline News, no link.
    It's also on NPR. It must be a slow news day, because it's part of their five-minute news update that they play like every half-hour.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

http://hn.iodized.net/c/14-1.jpg

JeffH on
  • SpaceGhostSpaceGhost Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Guys, I think this is a lot more serious than we thought....

7802618_5d4f9250e9_m.jpg

SpaceGhost on
    AverageYeo.png
  • MerovingiMerovingi regular
    edited January 2007
    I hope nothing happens to Adult Swim, Cartoon Networ, or the ad agency just because some ignorant people went all paranoid and had this turned into more than it really is. Seems like people are willing to believe anything these days for the sake of security.

Merovingi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So.. on the way home, they mention this story on the news radio station I listen to, linking it to Cartoon Network. They played an audio clip of the show instead of naming it, so I had no clue which show.

I get home, and there is a message from my aunt. I listen to it while checking here for the whole story....

My aunt works for Liberty Mutual. One of these lite-brites was found at the 5-corner intersection that her workplace is on. Her voice.. she sounded relieved, anxious, angry.. All that rolled up into one. I don't know how to tell her that a show I like was responsible for this, and explain what it is about my generation that finds this stuff cute.

But wow.. hearing her voice... Kinda frightened me to think about it.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited January 2007
    Athenor wrote:
    So.. on the way home, they mention this story on the news radio station I listen to, linking it to Cartoon Network. They played an audio clip of the show instead of naming it, so I had no clue which show.

I get home, and there is a message from my aunt. I listen to it while checking here for the whole story....

My aunt works for Liberty Mutual. One of these lite-brites was found at the 5-corner intersection that her workplace is on. Her voice.. she sounded relieved, anxious, angry.. All that rolled up into one. I don't know how to tell her that a show I like was responsible for this, and explain what it is about my generation that finds this stuff cute.

But wow.. hearing her voice... Kinda frightened me to think about it.

If this wasn't immediately reported as "Terrorist attack foiled: Litebrite bombs disabled" or whatever sensationalist spin they put on it, she wouldn't have reacted that way.

Being told every day for five years that you're going to die, and then all of a sudden hearing that you might die right now can have an effect on someone.

Glaeal on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Irond Will wrote:
    Jesus BPD what the fuck?
    The BPD is awesome. You shut the fuck up. The Boston PD, however, can eat a bag of cocks for being dicks of this magnitude. Jesus Cthulhu Christ.

Hacksaw on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    On the plus side... if you subscribe to the "all publicity is good publicity" mantra.. Man, did Cartoon Network just get a MASSIVE boost. Like... think what their bumpers are going to be like!

Also, these devices use magnetics. That might explain how they got placed in places so easily.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm greatly saddened I won't be home to see what the opening bumpers are going to be like tonight. I wonder how far in advance they do those things?

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    See, if I was there, I'd make a bomb, and hide it behind a Lite-Bright sign that reads "THIS IS A BOMB". No one would see it coming.

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited February 2007
    Oh man.

Fox News is trying to use urbandictionary.com to explain what ATHF is. They got EVERYTHING wrong, of course, including calling Frylock, Meatwad, and Master Shake mooninites. They also mentioned they were food for stoners.

Anyways. *sighs*

Athenor on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Athenor wrote:
    On the plus side... if you subscribe to the "all publicity is good publicity" mantra.. Man, did Cartoon Network just get a MASSIVE boost. Like... think what their bumpers are going to be like!

Also, these devices use magnetics. That might explain how they got placed in places so easily.
    I don't think this is really bad publicity. Other than getting the name out, the whole scare doesn't say anything about the actual quality of the product. I see this more as an accidental case of viral marketing.

Couscous on
  • IcewingIcewing Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hahahaha, I was flipping through satellite TV on lunch break today, and happened across a local Boston area channel, all talking about a suspicious "circuit board-like device" magneted to a building girder or something. Bomb squad guy with heavy armor, highway blocked off, oh my god.

Now I come home, read this thread, and see that it was some LED Mooninites! Two things occur to me: 1) This should not be hilarious, but it is. 2) I'm never going to Boston, I'm afraid whatever it is is contagious.

Icewing on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Am I a suspicious package too?

nexuscrawler on
    edited February 2007

I was told you were banned. I no longer feel safe.

Glaeal on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This reminds me of the guy who spraypainted frogs on the sidewalk as sort of an inside joke w/ his girlfriend and ended up getting investigated by the Secret Service or FBI or something b/c Donald Rumsfeld's granddaughter lived near the guy's girlfriend's house.

KalTorak on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Man people are fucking stupid sometimes..

Didn't anyone like check the first one they found before talking about it?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Glaeal wrote:

I was told you were banned. I no longer feel safe.

I'm a dirty bomb of bitter cynicism just waiting to explode

nexuscrawler on