As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Coalition of the Illin' [Canadian Politics]

1235»

• psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If Michelle Jean dissolves parliament instead of asking the coalition for form government when Harper fails his confidence vote, she will officially become the worst GG in this country's history.

Also, fuck Harper. He's a whiny bitch. Try to destroy every other political party by cutting their funding and refuse to announce any kind of stimulus during a recession? Fucking brilliant. Remember the last time the Tories were in during a big recession (the Great Depression)? Yeah, they fucking sucked then too. Borden, the Tory PM, was so incompetent and retarded that he refused to do any sort of public works projects like Roosevelt's (that lifted the US out of their depression, in conjunction with the war). Harper has exactly the same philosophy. It didn't work last time and it won't work now.

Seriously, Canada, when will you learn that the Tories are nothing but a bunch of entitled greedy jackasses who never learn from their mistakes?

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    okay I still don't know enough about all this to form an opinion but argus needs to stop putting a fucking smiley in every single one of his posts

TheySlashThem on
  • edited December 2008
    psyck0 wrote: »
    If Michelle Jean dissolves parliament instead of asking the coalition for form government when Harper fails his confidence vote, she will officially become the worst GG in this country's history.

Also, fuck Harper. He's a whiny bitch. Try to destroy every other political party by cutting their funding and refuse to announce any kind of stimulus during a recession? Fucking brilliant. Remember the last time the Tories were in during a big recession (the Great Depression)? Yeah, they fucking sucked then too. Borden, the Tory PM, was so incompetent and retarded that he refused to do any sort of public works projects like Roosevelt's (that lifted the US out of their depression, in conjunction with the war). Harper has exactly the same philosophy. It didn't work last time and it won't work now.

Seriously, Canada, when will you learn that the Tories are nothing but a bunch of entitled greedy jackasses who never learn from their mistakes?

I don't know if you caught this but parliament is prorogued. They'll hash it out in January.

I don't necessarily disagree with the coalition thing but I think their timing and reasons are specious at best. "Abloobloobloo they be takin' away mah fundin'" is not a reasonable reason to vote non-confidence.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
    edited December 2008

I don't know if you caught this but parliament is prorogued. They'll hash it out in January.

I don't necessarily disagree with the coalition thing but I think their timing and reasons are specious at best. "Abloobloobloo they be takin' away mah fundin'" is not a reasonable reason to vote non-confidence.

Yeah, I know it's coming back in January. I am hoping that they boot his ass out then. I'm sending my MPs letters of support, and anyone else who supports this should do the same.

Taking away the funding of the opposition, WHO RELIES ON THE FUNDING TO OPERATE, is ABSOLUTELY a reason to vote non-confidence. If Harper had passed that, every other party would have effectively gone bankrupt and ceased to be functional.
    He was attempting to reduce this country to a one-party state.
    Do you not understand that?!

The other reason they were voting non-confidence was that his response to this economic crisis was to do NOTHING. We NEED a government that is going to do something! Maybe it will take a few weeks to get back into gear, but the coalition is at least going to govern.

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • edited December 2008
    I'm a big fan of the parties raising money from people who support them rather than handouts from tax payers.

Also I'm not sure that a bailout package (or stimulus package) is a wise idea considering how close to the wire the budget is going to be in any case. Do you remember the 80s when we had deficits? That wasn't a lot of fun, was it?

Richard M. Nixon on
    edited December 2008
    I was born in 88, so no. I do know that virtually all economists agree that deficit spending is not inherently bad, and most agree that deficit spending is good during a recession, to stimulate the economy. The tax revenue picked up after the economy gets rolling again should then be used to balance the books again.

Re: your first statement, what about small parties who then can't afford to get started, or parties that tend to represent poorer people who can't afford to donate (NDP and Liberals, perhaps?) Conservative supporters tend to be upper-middle class to rolling in it and are happy to donate all that spare money to the party whose purpose is to keep them rich. Working class families tend not to have the change to spare.

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm failing to see how your solution leads to anything but CRUSHING CONSERVATIVE DOMINANCE, dick.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    My hope is that everyone will hate the other parties and vote Green

I voted green until I read about their policies.

Fuck that noise.

As far as homeless Albertan people, the one I liked was the guy/woman who stood at the intersection of Gateway and 23rd ave with a cardboard sign saying he couldn't afford work boots, etc. And if you looked closely he was wearing a brand new pair of Levi jeans and a nice shirt, just didn't shave and looked kind of scruffy.

Comahawk on
  • DerLustigeBosniakDerLustigeBosniak Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    CorpseRT wrote: »
    Essentially, yes, as flawed as it may sound. Is it any coincidence that when the coalition was announced the TSX dropped like a rock? Even though a prorogued Parliament isn't the best solution, it may stave off any drastic declines for a week or two until we begin to hear more about the budget and economic stimulus plans.

I think it is. Note that everything tanked that day, because everyone found out the US was officially in a recession (surprise!)

Yea, I was wrong. It'll finish today in the red.

DerLustigeBosniak on
    sig-3.jpg
  • edited December 2008
    I was born in 88, so no. I do know that virtually all economists agree that deficit spending is not inherently bad, and most agree that deficit spending is good during a recession, to stimulate the economy. The tax revenue picked up after the economy gets rolling again should then be used to balance the books again.

Re: your first statement, what about small parties who then can't afford to get started, or parties that tend to represent poorer people who can't afford to donate (NDP and Liberals, perhaps?) Conservative supporters tend to be upper-middle class to rolling in it and are happy to donate all that spare money to the party whose purpose is to keep them rich. Working class families tend not to have the change to spare.

You make a good point. I did some reading about party financing after I made my post and I realize that there was stuff I didn't know there. They do have a good reason to be upset about that cut, you're right, but it still appears bad to bring down the government over something like that.

In terms of deficit budgeting, the danger is that they will continue doing it as has so often happened in the past. I thought we had a law about not being allowed to run deficits but then again I thought we had a law about how often elections could be called and that doesn't seem to do much either.

The other problem with deficit budgeting is, what if it doesn't work? If the economy doesn't pick up as quickly as expected or as much as expected, aren't we in worse shape than before?

Richard M. Nixon on
    edited December 2008
    Everyone here who supports this coalition, PLEASE send your MP a letter letting them know so they don't get cold feet. If you don't support it, I guess you could say that too (but you smell funny, so don't).

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    this is probably the best move that harper could have made, because i seriously doubt the coalition will last that long

also dman he has a nice scarf in his press conference

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited December 2008
    That is why you need to contact your MP and show your support.

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png