As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Specific Headset Recommendation Thread $100-200 Range, Details Inside

The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupinesIrvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
My birthday is coming up in a few days and my mother offered to get me one nice gift, so I'm looking into a high quality headset for gaming. But I need it to cover a range of specifications so I'm going to need some recommendations seeing as it's easy to find quality headphones that cover one or a couple of these things, but not all...

Firstly it needs to be a headset with a mic, I need to be able to talk as well as hear.

I'm looking for quality, 5.1 surround sound at least.

Something that I can both use on my computer as well as my TV so that I can play my 360/PS3 late at night without bothering people. Take note that it should be something that allows me to use the mic on XBL and PSN as well.

Not a deal breaker, but I'm looking for wireless that way I can easily pop back and forth between PC and TV without being tethered. Also possibly something that can be charged.

My price range is 100 to 200 bucks, I may be willing to go 250 because ma will cover the first 100.

http://www2.razerzone.com/Megalodon/ This one seemed so perfect, but it's wired and PC only so no dice there..

http://www.trittontechnologies.com/products/TRIGA611.htm This one seems awesome, but I don't know much about it, I'd grudgingly be able to accept the cable since it has pretty much everything else I need. I hear it is a fantastic headset, but the one con is that it has TONS of cords. I mean I wanted cordless and this thing has the audio chord, the power chord, the 360 chord, etc. But like I said if you guys say it's good enough I'm willing to live with that.

So if you guys have any recommendations let me have them, just remember that the real deal breaker here is that it work on both PCs and consoles and has a mic. I appreciate the help.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
The_Spaniard on

• kpeezykpeezy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well, 5.1 surround, wireless, and quality do not go together. I would say get Sennheiser HD650s and a standalone mic. A very great headphone. I'm sure there's a way to hook up the headphones to the 360 (receiver, amp, etc) but I'm not sure what the best option for a microphone would be.

Either way, that much money on the headphones you listed is a huge waste. HD650s would be much better.

Go wired. Go stereo instead of 5.1. Separate the mic and headphones. That's where you'll get the best performance.

Edit: Also, I see the reasons wireless and integrated mic would be appealing (5.1 is still worthless), but if you want "quality" you'll need to at least go wired. The only reason I say get a separate mic is because hardly any (I can't think of any) decent headphones come with integrated mics.

kpeezy on
    me itt
    SSBB: 5370-1223-4258
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    kpeezy wrote: »
    Well, 5.1 surround, wireless, and quality do not go together. I would say get Sennheiser HD650s and a standalone mic. A very great headphone. I'm sure there's a way to hook up the headphones to the 360 (receiver, amp, etc) but I'm not sure what the best option for a microphone would be.

Either way, that much money on the headphones you listed is a huge waste. HD650s would be much better.

Go wired. Go stereo instead of 5.1. Separate the mic and headphones. That's where you'll get the best performance.

Edit: Also, I see the reasons wireless and integrated mic would be appealing (5.1 is still worthless), but if you want "quality" you'll need to at least go wired. The only reason I say get a separate mic is because hardly any (I can't think of any) decent headphones come with integrated mics.

You just recommended a 500 dollar set of headphones. Also how would getting a separate mic work for console gaming?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It seems like there are lots of different "Gaming" headphones out there. Like the Creative HS-1200 but I don't think that I have seen one that goes back and forth between console and PC unless the 360/PS3 let you use USB headsets. I know you can use bluetooth stuff on the PS3 so you could pick up something like the Motorola S805 D.J style headphones and that would also work with the PC. It is setup to be used with a phone so it has a mic built in. However the 360 would not be able to use them as far as I know. Its also not 5.1 just stereo. The quality of the sound is not going to be as good as you would get with wired as well.

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
    edited November 2008
    Search around and you can get them for around $300. If you buy them used on head-fi.org you can get them for under $250. If not, you can get HD600s or HD580s. They're both great.

About the mic, I'm not too sure. I'm sure there's a way to do it but I don't do enough online play on the 360 to find out. Hopefully, someone else can help with that.

HD580s + a mic would be what I would do if I wanted to save some money.

If there's no way to hook up a different mic to the 360, then I guess you're stuck with shitty headsets.

kpeezy on
    me itt
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I guess asking for wireless is too much. Then I seems like the Tritton headset I linked in the OP would be the best bet at this point?

The_Spaniard on
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've got the Tritton. 5.1 isn't worthless and anyone who suggests that it is either hasn't used one for a while or is a complete ding ding. Recommending that someone separate their mic and headset when you "don't do enough online gaming" pretty much disqualifies what you have to say - I'm sure your opinions are valid for your applications, but they definitely don't apply here.

I have the Creative HS1200 as well. The mic is too quiet for my own personal tastes.

The Tritton has a ton of cords, but it does everything - PS3, 360 and PC. I've got it hooked up for optical for all three and it's a quality headset. Comfortable, great response on the mic and the sound is accurate. I can place directional sounds quite easily with it. You can also boost individual channels - great for watching movies on either PC or console if you want to boost the centre for vocals.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • AngryPuppyAngryPuppy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This is exactly what I'm looking for - any suggestions on where I could find the Tritton's in the UK?

AngryPuppy on
    PSN: AngryPuppyEsq
    edited November 2008
    Threepio wrote: »
    I've got the Tritton. 5.1 isn't worthless and anyone who suggests that it is either hasn't used one for a while or is a complete ding ding. Recommending that someone separate their mic and headset when you "don't do enough online gaming" pretty much disqualifies what you have to say - I'm sure your opinions are valid for your applications, but they definitely don't apply here.

I have the Creative HS1200 as well. The mic is too quiet for my own personal tastes.

The Tritton has a ton of cords, but it does everything - PS3, 360 and PC. I've got it hooked up for optical for all three and it's a quality headset. Comfortable, great response on the mic and the sound is accurate. I can place directional sounds quite easily with it. You can also boost individual channels - great for watching movies on either PC or console if you want to boost the centre for vocals.

So you'd recommend the Tritton over all else for what I need? I'm willing to overlook the cords if it does everything else I need. So what are the odds of an affordable quality headset that does everything I want and is wireless coming out in the next year or two?

If I get nobody saying they know something better than the Tritton ones I'll place the order tomorrow.

Edit: P.S. Anybody know a place that I can get the Tritton ones cheaper than Newegg?

The_Spaniard on
    edited November 2008

Well, actually I have used them quite recently. My brother is a complete ding dong and continues to buy them no matter what I say. And yes, I don't do much online gaming on the 360. Reading may not be your specialty; I understand that.

Anyways, sometimes convenience is more important than quality. Go into this purchase knowing that you're not getting the best quality headphones for your money. Maybe it's the only thing that fills all of your needs, but it still won't perform as well as other things in your price range.

kpeezy on
    me itt
    edited November 2008

Well, actually I have used them quite recently. My brother is a complete ding dong and continues to buy them no matter what I say. And yes, I don't do much online gaming on the 360. Reading may not be your specialty; I understand that.

Anyways, sometimes convenience is more important than quality. Go into this purchase knowing that you're not getting the best quality headphones for your money. Maybe it's the only thing that fills all of your needs, but it still won't perform as well as other things in your price range.

Apparently reading comprehension is not YOUR strong suit - and neither is headphone analysis. His specific request was for
    something that allows me to use the mic on XBL and PSN as well.

which your solution simply does not match. And you're ragging on me about reading comprehension? Dick. I imagine there is a "ding dong" in your family and it doesn't appear to be your brother.

I have cause to test out quite a few electronic products in the course of my day job. Currently, on my desk, I have the Creative HS1200s, the Razer surround set, a steelseries behind-the-head jobbie, a logitech USB kit and the Tritton.

You'll pardon me if I'm under the impression that I have more experience in this area than you do - and that I can state with a fair amount of impunity that I know what I'm talking about and you don't.

The audio separation on the Tritton is fantastic. It's a comfortable set with great response right through the frequency range. The microphone is removable and works well on PC, PS3 and 360. Your assertion that these won't perform as well as other headphones in the price range is spurious. For what he's looking for this is the best bang for the buck and exactly what he asked for.

It might be best to stay out of recommendation threads if you're going to spend the better part of the time talking out of your ass.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
    edited November 2008
    I'll hunt around and see if there is a way to plug in an external microphone and use it for XBL and PSN. If there is, then I can name off 15 headphones better than anything you've listed.

I've used the Razer headphone and the Steelseries headphone and can confirm that they are shit. I certainly have more experience in this headphone world than you do. I've owned 20+ pairs of headphones costing from $50 to $800 so I think I have a decent base in this realm of audio.

Like I said, convenience seems to be the driving factor behind this purchase rather than quality. I clearly said that I didn't know if there was a way to plug in a microphone and hoped that someone else would be able to tell him if there was a way. Hopefully, the OP can find a way to use a separate mic so that he doesn't have to waste his money on these terrible 5.1 headsets to get the functionality he needs.

kpeezy on
    me itt
    edited November 2008
    Well, go on then, big man, name off 15 headphones better than what I've listed in his price range that will do what he wants. Factor in your microphone and your adapter and we'll see where we are pricewise.

Let's face it: you're an idiot who couldn't answer the question asked and now you're being a dick about it. So step up and give me a list with prices or shut your yap.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
    edited November 2008
    Sennheiser HD-25-1 IIs, Equation Audio RP-21, Beyerdynamic DT-770, Sennheiser HD580, Sennheiser HD600 (if you're lucky), Sennheiser HD555, Sennheiser HD595, Audio Technica AD700, Audio Technica ES7, Audio Technica A700, Audio Technica A900, Denon D2000, Denon AH-D1001, AKG K271, AKG K501, AKG k601, Sony MDR-V6.

I've heard all of these of models very similar to all of these and any of those would be better. If you want, I can continue.

Edit: Didn't see that you wanted prices. Look them up yourself because I did that from memory.

kpeezy on
    me itt
    edited November 2008
    Mommy Daddy stop fighting you're ruining my birthday!

Img_0015.jpg

Anyway.. So Threepio did you manage to get any kind of deal? Cause I'd like to order today, unless you think I should hold off and you still want to talk to them that is..

The_Spaniard on
    edited November 2008

Anyway.. So Threepio did you manage to get any kind of deal? Cause I'd like to order today, unless you think I should hold off and you still want to talk to them that is..

Heh.

Can you give me till Monday? I'm working on something for you right now, not sure if it'll pan out for you.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
    edited November 2008
    Sennheiser HD-25-1 IIs, Equation Audio RP-21, Beyerdynamic DT-770, Sennheiser HD580, Sennheiser HD600 (if you're lucky), Sennheiser HD555, Sennheiser HD595, Audio Technica AD700, Audio Technica ES7, Audio Technica A700, Audio Technica A900, Denon D2000, Denon AH-D1001, AKG K271, AKG K501, AKG k601, Sony MDR-V6.

I've heard all of these of models very similar to all of these and any of those would be better. If you want, I can continue.

Edit: Didn't see that you wanted prices. Look them up yourself because I did that from memory.

Sennheiser HD-25-1 IIs - $269, no mic
    Equation Audio RP-21 - $129, no mic
    Beyerdynamic DT-770 - $319, no mic... Wow, you really didn't get this at all, did you.

None of these are any use for XBL or PSN. None of them have the 5.1 that the user has asked for. You've made a value judgement on that feature that I fundamentally disagree with.

You seem incapable of answering a basic question that was asked of you. Stereo headphones are lovely, but that's not what the user wanted. Asking someone to use a separate mic for XBL, PSN or even PC is possibly the most stupid thing I've ever heard. Who's going to have a mic and a stand hanging around their playspace?

If you use this sort of setup I'd be shocked. It's cumbersome and it takes up real estate that most gamers don't have - and the quality gains for what he would be doing are minimal. It's all well and good if you want studio level recording through your mic, but consider your audience. Everyone else out there is using an XBL headset, a bluetooth headset or a cheap analog headset.

We can keep this back and forth going if you'd like, but the problem is that you're talking about something that is impractical AND you've failed to recognize the users needs. In short, you're hell damn ass wrong.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
    edited November 2008

Heh.

Can you give me till Monday? I'm working on something for you right now, not sure if it'll pan out for you.

Sure, I guess I can wait, mind you while I appreciate a deal I don't want to take advantage of anyone, I'm willing to spend a fair price on a good product. But if it's no trouble a deal would be great, just as long as it's all fair.

The_Spaniard on
    edited November 2008

Sennheiser HD-25-1 IIs - $269, no mic
    Equation Audio RP-21 - $129, no mic
    Beyerdynamic DT-770 - $319, no mic... Wow, you really didn't get this at all, did you.

None of these are any use for XBL or PSN. None of them have the 5.1 that the user has asked for. You've made a value judgement on that feature that I fundamentally disagree with.

You seem incapable of answering a basic question that was asked of you. Stereo headphones are lovely, but that's not what the user wanted. Asking someone to use a separate mic for XBL, PSN or even PC is possibly the most stupid thing I've ever heard. Who's going to have a mic and a stand hanging around their playspace?

If you use this sort of setup I'd be shocked. It's cumbersome and it takes up real estate that most gamers don't have - and the quality gains for what he would be doing are minimal. It's all well and good if you want studio level recording through your mic, but consider your audience. Everyone else out there is using an XBL headset, a bluetooth headset or a cheap analog headset.

We can keep this back and forth going if you'd like, but the problem is that you're talking about something that is impractical AND you've failed to recognize the users needs. In short, you're hell damn ass wrong.

Possibly the worst price check ever.

HD-25-1 II - $109 - This is the lowest I've seen them. $200 is the standard price and they can go quite a bit lower if you hunt. I have no idea where you got that price.

Equation Audio RP-21 - $99 - I've never seen them for anything other than this price. If you have a local store that carries them, they're even cheaper at $89.

Beyerdynamic DT-770 - $XXX - These are a bit different. They change the housing semi-regularly and you can get one in an older housing for <$150 easily.

All of those are unquestionably under his price limit. Throw in a $15 mic and a converter and you're set.

As I said, I don't play on XBL or PSN often but when I do, I hook up my headphones through a A/V receiver. Very easy since the 360 is already plugged into the regardless of if I'm using headphones or speakers. I don't use a mic when I play on live so I've never tried to hook one up. And honestly, my console sits on a desk near where I sit and play so putting a standalone mic on the desk wouldn't bother me one bit.

I realize the user wanted 5.1 headphones. It doesn't change the fact that they suck. If someone came into G&T debating which edition of Daikatana to purchase, what do you think the general consensus would be? Go ask this question on a headphone forum (www.head-fi.org for one) and see what they say. I've seen this question asked possibly hundreds of times. Always gets the same response.

kpeezy on
    me itt
    edited November 2008
    You don't play live or PSN. You don't use a mic. You aren't qualified to answer this question at all. You seem adamant on recommending something that isn't suited for his task.

You really don't get this at all, do you?

Threepio on
    142.jpg
    edited November 2008
    You don't play live or PSN. You don't use a mic. You aren't qualified to answer this question at all. You seem adamant on recommending something that isn't suited for his task.

You really don't get this at all, do you?

I wonder if those headsets he is recommending are good for music but not suited for gaming. I mean when I hear reviews on a good 5.1 headset people say that they play so much better when they can literally hear other players sneak up behind them and get accused of cheating for wheeling around so quickly.

The_Spaniard on
    edited December 2008
    They're good for both. That's why I try and recommend them so much. Either way, at this point you'll do what you want. Good luck.

kpeezy on
    me itt
    edited December 2008
    IGN review of the Tritton headset

http://gear.ign.com/articles/935/935036p1.html

TL;DR 8.8 out of 10 final score.

I just hit the buy button on Newegg.

The_Spaniard on
  • warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Steps in, looks around, slowly backs out.

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • FanciestWalnutFanciestWalnut Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I bought a pair of Astro A40's last year, they are nice but they only simulate surround sound so the entire directional sound really doesn't work that well in my opinion. I really want a nice set of 5.1 headphones but I think I might be SOL. It seems that for real honest 5.1 a set of speakers is still required.

FanciestWalnut on
    edited December 2008
    I bought a pair of Astro A40's last year, they are nice but they only simulate surround sound so the entire directional sound really doesn't work that well in my opinion. I really want a nice set of 5.1 headphones but I think I might be SOL. It seems that for real honest 5.1 a set of speakers is still required.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that dude, it must suck to spend 250 bucks on something like that and not be entirely satisfied.

The_Spaniard on
    edited December 2008

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that dude, it must suck to spend 250 bucks on something like that and not be entirely satisfied.

They actually sound pretty good, and the mic quality is good, and most of all they were a gift so I don't feel all that bad about it. It does make me wonder though just how many of these cans are actually 5.1 though.

FanciestWalnut on
    edited December 2008

They actually sound pretty good, and the mic quality is good, and most of all they were a gift so I don't feel all that bad about it. It does make me wonder though just how many of these cans are actually 5.1 though.

Well you said that they only simulate it, these headphones that I ordered actually have 8 speakers in the cups.

The_Spaniard on
    edited December 2008
    Hope you like them.

kpeezy on
    me itt
    edited December 2008
    Hope you like them.

The sentiment is much appreciated.

I probably need to tweak them a bit because while everything sounds better now there are some sounds that are a bit odd. For example I just loaded up L4D and when I open doors the door opening sound is insanely quiet as is the other survivors voices occasionally. I'll open a door and I have to strain to hear the door open, and I'll hear other survivors doing their canned clips just fine most of the time, but occasionally I can't even hear it. A weird anomaly, everything else sounds better than before. I loaded up Far Cry 2 and the same issue there with the machete, Everything sounds great except when I use the machete on say a wall for example it sounds very quiet. I thought for a second that maybe my forward speaker might need to be turned up, but then I realized if that were true why do my guns sound just fine?

Anybody have any idea what could be causing that? I'm not exactly knowledgeable about audio tweaking, I just set them up, installed the Realtek drivers for my motherboards optical input and started playing.

The_Spaniard on
    edited December 2008
    That almost sounds like a driver issue, I would think a good way to test is use the windows audio configuration to output sound to each sound driver for the headphones, if all of the tones are equally loud then it is probably a driver issue. Otherwise you may need to turn up the channels for those individual "speakers".

FanciestWalnut on
    edited December 2008
    That almost sounds like a driver issue, I would think a good way to test is use the windows audio configuration to output sound to each sound driver for the headphones, if all of the tones are equally loud then it is probably a driver issue. Otherwise you may need to turn up the channels for those individual "speakers".

How would I do that, the testing that is.

The_Spaniard on
    edited December 2008
    Oh well it was all in my head, I decided to test L4D through my regular 5.1 speakers and the same sounds happened. So I guess it's the game not the headphones.

The_Spaniard on
    edited December 2008
    Hmm crazy, so how are the impressions a week later?

FanciestWalnut on
    edited December 2008
    Hmm crazy, so how are the impressions a week later?

They are great so far, I'm hearing little details in games I've never heard before. Completely worthwhile purchase. I'm waiting for Samsung to replace my TV so I can see how well they work on console games.

The_Spaniard on
  • AngryPuppyAngryPuppy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Somewhat silly question here I'm sure but I'm going to be getting myself a pair of these headphones and I just wanted to ask The Spaniard if the decoder that comes with the Tritton's can be used with a set of speakers as well as the headset itself? I have an old pro logic kit and I was just wondering for the sake of sweetening the deal a bit.

AngryPuppy on
    PSN: AngryPuppyEsq
    edited December 2008
    AngryPuppy wrote: »
    Somewhat silly question here I'm sure but I'm going to be getting myself a pair of these headphones and I just wanted to ask The Spaniard if the decoder that comes with the Tritton's can be used with a set of speakers as well as the headset itself? I have an old pro logic kit and I was just wondering for the sake of sweetening the deal a bit.

I honestly couldn't tell you, you can find pictures of the box online though.

The_Spaniard on
    edited December 2008
    Just a little update, loving my headphones so far, but if you also want to hook them up to a console the included optical cord is perfect for a computer but may be a bit short for hooking up to a console at about 3 feet. I have the audio box for the headphones sitting on top of my tower which sits next to my entertainment center and the optical cord is just a bit too short. So I've ordered 2 extra 6 foot optical cords, one for my PS3 and one for my 360 so that I can swap them out easily without having to use the same cord and jump from one item to the next. I've also purchased an extra 6 foot cable for hooking up the mic on the PC and PS3 so I wouldn't keep having to disconnect the USB chord from my tower and hook it into my PS3 when I want to chat on one or the other.

All this on Monoprice for like 15 bucks.. and the optical cord is like high end with mesh metal protection on the cables. <3

The_Spaniard on