As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CYLON] BSG BG - Game over

DarianDarian Yellow WizardThe PitRegistered User regular
edited January 2009 in Critical Failures
Welcome to Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game!
After forty years passing without a single word from the Cylons, they returned, and all but eradicated the human race. In this time of strife, they must put aside the petty differences that once separated them and focus on one thing — survival.

Humanity's only hope of a future is to find a new home; a place called Earth. The Cylons, however, are in constant and tireless pursuit. They now look, breathe and bleed exactly like humans. Cylons have infiltrated the Fleet, destroyed resources, and threaten to finish the extermination they have begun. The humans have no choice but to run, plagued by the paranoia of an indistinguishable enemy.

Are you a Cylon who will help to erase any memory of the human race? Or will your resilience and determination to survive prove to the Cylons that humanity is worth saving?

PRINT OUT THIS PLAYER AID AND KEEP IT HANDY
Rules are available online.
Latest FAQ also available.

Game is over. Enjoy a quick replay:

bsg-PA-game01.gif
Sitrep at the start of Baltar's turn:

Damaged: None
bsg-game-board-g01-b29.png
bsg-game-jump-track-2.jpg
Military Resources:
Raptors - 1 in reserve, 3 destroyed (removed from game)
Vipers - 2 in hanger, 2 damaged, 1 destroyed (removed from game)
Admiral has 1 nuke
Distance traveled: 5

Where are you?
Helo FTL control
Baltar Command
Starbuck Caprica
Chief Hangar
Adama Weapons Control

Who are you?
Hylianbunny: Karl "Helo" Agathon
bsg-karl-helo-agathon.jpg
Ianator: President Gaius Baltar
bsg-gaius-baltar.jpg
GoodOmens: Kara "Starbuck" Thrace
bsg-kara-starbuck-thrace.jpg
giltanis: "Chief" Galen Tyrol
bsg-chief-galen-tyrol.jpg
Mike Danger: Admiral William Adama
bsg-william-adama.jpg

Reserves - Mad Jazz (Helo), PolloDiablo, El Skid, Darkewolfe

Guidelines for this play-by-post game:
Any time you are playing or discarding an action card, it should be reported in the thread. The only secret plays are those made to skill checks. On skill checks, the rules state that submissions to the check are made beginning with the player after the active player then continuing in turn order, ending with the active player. Thus, if it is important you may request to know how many cards people coming before you in that order contributed before deciding on your own submission.

For example, on this latest skill check Helo could have requested to know how many cards Chief and Adama were putting any cards in before he made his own decision. Such requests should be in bold cyan to be official and may be answered either by the GM or by the players involved; any other discussions of cards submitted to a check will be considered provisional and non-binding. Final submission numbers will be given by the GM at the time of resolution.

For conditional cards:
Tactics 3-5: Strategic Planning must be played before a die roll and adds 2 to the result. Hasn't come up yet, since no one has attempted a good die roll
Engineering 3-5: Scientific Research is played before cards are added on a skill check; let's engineering cards be added for any check
Politics 3-5: Investigative Committee is played before cards are added on a skill check; all cards are played face up
I am going to require that Scientific Research and the Investigative Committee be declared BEFORE the person playing them submits their own cards on a skill check. Once you make a submission it will be too late for those.
On Strategic Planning, I advise you to consider circumstances when you might want to use it and PM me general guidelines. If an applicable situation comes up, I'll wait on the die roll for you to check in.

Then there are the conditional but AFTER effect cards:
Piloting 1-2: Evasive Maneuvers allows reroll after a viper is attacked
Leadership 3-5: Declare Emergency subtracts two from a skill check after cards are revealed and totaled.
For those, I would advise you to PM me instructions in advance detailing the circumstances in which you want to use them.

In addition to abilities listed on the character sheets, the Admiral and President gain additional abilities.

Admiral / President
Admiral
When the fleet jumps, you draw 2 Destination Cards and choose 1.

You control the nuke tokens. (There are 2 nuke tokens.)

Action: Launch 1 nuke at a Basestar (the nuke is removed from the game).

Nukes damage a Basestar twice on a roll of 1-2, automatically destroy a Basestar on a roll of 3-6, and automatically destroy a Basestar and 3 Raiders in the same area on a roll of 7-8.

Admiral
1. William Adama
2. Saul Tigh
3. Helo Agathon
4. Lee “Apollo” Adama
5. Kara “Starbuck” Thrace
6. Sharon “Boomer” Valerii
7. Galen Tyrol
8. Tom Zarek
9. Gaius Baltar
10. Laura Roslin
President
At the start of the game, draw 1 Quorum Card. You control the hand of Quorum Cards.

Action: Draw a Quorum Card into your hand.

Quorum cards can be played as an action and specialize in increasing resources and dealing with unrevealed Cylons.

President
1. Laura Roslin
2. Gaius Baltar
3. Tom Zarek
4. Lee “Apollo” Adama
5. William Adama
6. Karl “Helo” Agathon
7. Galen Tyrol
8. Sharon “Boomer” Valerii
9. Saul Tigh
10. Kara “Starbuck” Thrace
Note that if the President is in the “Brig,” he keeps the President
title and all associated abilities.
Locations
Galactica
FTL Control - Action: Jump the fleet if the Jump Preparation track is not in the red zone. Might lose population. (Population is lost on a 6 or lower.)
Weapons Control - Action: Attack 1 Cylon ship with Galactica.
Command - Action: Activate unmanned Vipers 2 times. These can be used on the same viper twice, or on two different vipers. Activated vipers can be ordered to launch, move, or fire on a cylon vessel.
Communications - Action: Look at the back of up to 2 civilian ships. You may then move them to adjacent area(s).
Admiral's Quarters - Action: Choose a character; then pass this skill check to send him to the "Brig". [Skill 7, Leadership, Tactics]
Research Lab - Action: Draw 1 engineering or 1 tactics Skill Card.
Hangar Deck - Action: Launch yourself in a viper. You may then take 1 more action. (Must have the Piloting skill.)
Armory - Action: Attack a centurion on the Boarding Party track (destroyed on a roll of 7+).
Sickbay - You may only draw 1 Skill Card during your Receive Skills step.
Brig - You may not move, draw Crisis Cards, or add more than 1 card to skill checks. Action: Pass this skill check to move to any location. [Skill 7, Politics, Tactics]
Colonial One
Press Room - Action: Draw 2 politics Skill Cards.
President's Office - Action: If you are the President, draw 1 Quorum Card. You may then draw 1 additional Quorum Card or play 1 from your hand.
Administration - Action: Choose a character, then pass this skill check to give him the President title. [Skill 5, Politics, Leadership]
Cylon Locations
Caprica - Action: Play your Super Crisis Card or draw 2 Crisis Cards, choose 1 to resolve, and discard the other. No Activate Cylon Ships or Prepare for Jump steps.
Cylon Fleet - Action: Activate all Cylon ships of one type, or launch 2 Raiders and 1 Heavy Raider from each Basestar.
Human Fleet - Action: Look at any player's hand, and steal 1 Skill Card (place it in your hand). Then roll a die, and if 5 or higher, damage Galactica.
Resurrection Ship - Action: You may discard your Super Crisis Card to draw a new one. Then, if you distance is 7 or less, give your unrevealed Loyalty Card(s) to any player.
Skill Cards - Your Hand! Each card has a number value used for skill checks, and an ability.
Point of Clarification: In each deck of skill cards, there are two types of cards. All the 1-2 cards are one type, and all the 3-5 are another. Each deck contains fourteen 1-2s and seven 3-5s.

Of these two types, one is an "Action:" card; these cards can be played only when you have an action available, but may be played at any location (subject to restrictions on the cards).

The other type of card may be played at any time when it is appropriate, whether it is your turn or not, and whether you have any actions or not. Most of these deal with skill checks:
Investigative Committee is played before a check to force cards to be put in face-up
Scientific Research is played before a check to allow engineering cards to count as positive.
Declare Emergency is played after a check to reduce its difficulty by two
Each of those can be played only once per skill check.
The tactics card, Strategic Planning, can be played before any die roll to increase it by 2. (Obviously, a non-cylon would usually NOT want to play this for Cylon rolls; all rolls succeed at higher numbers.) This can only be played once per roll.
The piloting card, Evasive Maneuvers, can be played after a viper is attacked, allowing a re-roll. As many Evasive Maneuvers as you have can be played on the same attack until you get a result you like.

I encourage you to PM me with circumstances in which you will automatically use your cards, so as to help keep the game moving as quickly as possible. If more than one character would be using the same card at the same time, only the next in action order will make the play.

Politics
1-2: Consolidate Power - Action: Draw 2 Skill Cards of any type(s). They may come from outside your skill set.
3-5: Investigative Committee - Play before cards are added to a skill check. All Skill Cards are played face up during this skill check (including from the Destiny deck).

Leadership
1-2: Executive Order - Action: Choose any other player. He may move his character and then take 1 action OR not move and take 2 actions.
3-5: Declare Emergency - Play after strength is totaled in a skill check to reduce its difficulty by 2. Limit of 1 "Declare Emergency" card used per skill check.

Tactics
1-2: Launch Scout - Action: Risk 1 Raptor to roll a die. If 3 or higher, look at the top card of the Crisis or Destination deck and place it on the top or the bottom. Otherwise, destroy 1 Raptor.
3-5: Strategic Planning - Play before any die roll to add 2 to the result. Limit of 1 "Strategic Planning" card used per die roll.

Piloting
1-2: Evasive Maneuvers - Play after any Viper is attacked to reroll the die. If the Viper is piloted, subtract 2 from the new roll.
3-5: Maximum Firepower - Action: Play while piloting a Viper to attack up to 4 times.

Engineering
1-2: Repair - Action: Repair your current location, or if you are in the "Hanger Deck" location, you may repair up to 2 damaged Vipers.
3-5: Scientific Research - Play before cards are added to a skill check. All engineering cards in the skill check count as positive strength.
Combat
Unit Attacked: Die Result
Raider: 3-8 = Destroyed
Heavy Raider: 7-8 = Destroyed
Centurion: 7-8 = Destroyed
Viper: 5-7 = Damaged
8 = Destroyed
If a piloted viper is damaged or destroyed, move the pilot to Sickbay.
Civilian Ship: Automatically Destroyed (no die roll)
Galactica attacked by Raider: 8 = Damaged
Galactica attacked by Basestar: 4-8 = Damaged
Basestar attacked by Viper: 8 = Damaged
Basestar attacked by Galactica: 5-8 = Damaged
Basestar attacked by Nuke: 1-2 = Damaged Twice
3-6 = Destroyed
7-8 = Destroyed and destroy 3 Raiders in the same area

Old OP Junk
The Board
bsg-game-board-turn-01.jpg
The game starts like so. 1 Basestar and 3 Raiders in front of Galactica, 1 Viper in each space below Galactica, and 2 Civilian Ships behind Galactica.
Victory Conditions:
Humans - Reach Kobol. This is done by making one final jump after accumulating a Destination score of 8 or more (Every time you jump you will earn a Destination Card with a score of 1, 2, or 3).
Cylons - End humanity. This is done by destroying Galactica, dropping one of the fleets stats (Fuel, Food, Morale, Population) to 0, or getting a raiding party far enough into Galactica's innards.
Skill Checks
The main avenue for Cylon subterfuge is by sabotaging skill checks. This is because all players contribute skill cards anonymously. To make things easier, the skill types are color coded:

Politics: yellow. Leadership: green. Tactics: purple. Piloting: red. Engineering: blue.

A skill check will involve from 1 to 4 colors, and a number. A skill check always includes 2 cards from the Destinty Deck (which consists of random skill cards), and then each player may add as many cards as they like. After the skill cards are revealed, you ADD all of the numbers from the correctly colored skill cards, and then SUBTRACT all of the numbers from the non-matching skill cards. If you meet or beat the skill check number, the check is a pass. This usually does nothing but avoid negative results, but can sometimes yield positive results.
Human Players
Your goal is to reach Kobol. This is accomplished by making a series of jumps, each rewarding you with an amount of distance, from 1 to 3. When 4 distance is reached, the Sleeper Agent phase occurs and the second half of the Loyalty Deck is dealt out. When 8 distance is reached, one final jump wins the game for the humans.

Jumping
bsg-game-jump-track.jpg
The game starts with the Jump Prep marker on Start. Each Crisis card drawn has a chance to advance the Jump Prep marker. When the Jump Prep marker reaches the -3 or -1 spots, any character can use the FTL Control location to initiate a jump, but will risk losing 3 or 1 population. If the Jump Prep marker advances to the Auto Jump spot, the fleet automatically jumps.

Jumping clears the board of all ships. All Vipers, unmanned or piloted, return to the reserves. Any characters piloting Vipers are moved to the Hangar Deck. While jumping does clear the board of all Cylon ships, and Centurions in a Boarding Party remain on Galactica.
Resources
The Human Fleet has four resources: Fuel, Food, Morale, Population. If any of these resources drop to 0, the Humans lose.

Fuel starts at 8 and goes "red" at 4. Food starts at 8 and goes "red" at 4. Morale starts at 10 and goes "red" at 5. Population starts at 12 and goes "red" at 6.

A resources going "red" has no inherent affect, but can sometimes trigger effects on other cards. It also means you're in trouble. :)
Cylon Players
Revealed Cylons and Crises
Although revealed Cylon players do not automatically draw a Crisis Card on their turn, they may draw and play a Crisis Card by using the "Caprica" Cylon location. When a revealed Cylon player draws a Crisis Card that poses a choice for the current player, that player makes the decision.

Revealed Cylon players are unaffected by abilities on Crisis Cards and skill checks. They cannot be sent to the "Brig" or "Sickbay" locations, and cannot be forced to discard Skill Cards.

Revealed Cylon Players' Skill Cards
Revealed Cylon players only draw two Skill Cards on their turns. A revealed Cylon player may - at his option- play one (and only one) Skill Card into each skill check that is resolved.

Revealed Cylon players may not use actions or abilities listed on Skill Cards. They must continue to obey the hand limit rule, and sicard down to 10 Skill Cards at the end of each player's turn.

The Destiny deck is still used after a Cylon player has been revealed.

Next, I will go over many of the various cards in the game. There are a lot, so I will be listing many here and referencing them by title in the future.

Game Turn
1. Receive Skills Step: The current player draws the number and types of Skill Cards listed on his character sheet.
2. Movement Step: The current player may move to a different location. If he moves to a different ship (from Galactica to Colonial One or vice versa), he must discard one Skill Card from his hand.
3. Action Step: The current player chooses one action to perform. Options include the actions listed on his location, character sheet, and Skill Cards.
4. Crisis Step: The top card of the Crisis deck is drawn and then resolved.
5. Activate Cylon Ships Step: If any are in play, Cylon ships are activated according to the Crisis Card drawn.
6. Prepare for Jump Step: If the Crisis Card has the "prepare for jump" icon on it, the fleet token advances one space on the Jump Preparation track. If the token reaches the end of this track, then the fleet jumps.

To be continued... My brain is ruined and I will add more rules as they come up. :P

Much of the OP is stolen from Akinos with my thanks. Any errors are mine.

Darian on

• Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Confirmed (and taking Starbuck if I get the chance. :P)

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    In like Flynn. :D

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Actually, nevermind, dibs on Helo. :lol:

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'll roll some dice for your order of choosing, once everyone is here. Of course, you can all feel free to decide among yourselves what roles you want before then. Just keep in mind that you should have the ability to draw from all the skill decks. Order of succession for admiral and president are in the appropriate spoiler above.

Darian on
  • Options
    Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh man, I'd love to get in on this if someone decides not to play.

Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's the return of THE PRESIDENT!

!Sign Up as Gaius Baltar, baby.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    At last, I can live out my rough-n-tough Space Repairman fantasies playing as Chief.

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm around in case I'm needed.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Excellent. I hadn't heard anything from you after that initial question, which is why I wasn't sure whether it would be you or Ianator in the last slot.

Darian on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, I'm ok with being in reserve.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    How did I miss getting in these? Cylons 4eva! I suppose I shall watch from the sidelines and cheer on them toasters.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    !join, assuming I'm not too late. I'd love to be Gaius, but I'm utterly flexible.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Your doing fine. Still waiting on giltanis to show, then you all can pick characters. We should be able to start tonight, if fed-ex tracking is to be believed.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Rainfall wrote: »
    How did I miss getting in these? Cylons 4eva! I suppose I shall watch from the sidelines and cheer on them toasters.

We set it up in the board game thread, so only people who read that were likely to have known about it.

Darian on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    !join, assuming I'm not too late. I'd love to be Gaius, but I'm utterly flexible.

I'd be happy to let someone else in on PRESIDENTIAL goodness.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    giltanisgiltanis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Just got your PM Darian. Confirming that I want to play. And I will take Apollo if that is cool. Sorry if I held things up at all.

giltanis on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    giltanis, you weren't holding anything up; we're still handling pregame stuff.

Initial rolls for turn order came out as follows:
    Hylianbunny: 46
    Ianator: 37
    GoodOmens: 26
    giltanis: 21
    Mike Danger: 8

Choose your characters in this order, then we'll figure out who starts as president and admiral.

Darian on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'd like to express my strong interest in playing- Since it looks like there's no room, I'd be happy to be a reserve in case someone had to drop out!

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm assuming that HB is sticking with the choice of Helo.
    Ianator - you've got the option of Gaius, or you can grab someone else instead.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ianator wrote: »
    GoodOmens wrote: »

I'd be happy to let someone else in on PRESIDENTIAL goodness.

Nah, go for it, Ianator. You seemed to be having fun with it last time.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    !Can you put me in as a reserve, since I assume all slots were taken awhile ago?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Done. Reserves will be utilized as needed in the order in which you signed up in this thread (Mad Jazz first, the the following).

Once a reserve has subbed in for a given player, they can only sub for that player, for obvious reasons. If any of the reserves have a particular character/player that they'd most like to sub for, I'm willing to take that into consideration.

For all of you playing: if you'll be unable to get on here and post for more than 24h, I ask that you let me know (preferably in advance) so I can sub someone in. Let's keep this thing moving, once we get started.

Darian on
  • Options
    mannypoohmannypooh Registered User new member
    edited December 2008
    Iannator as the reason why i got interested in the battlestar galatica game from the link in AG :) i hope to be watching with an intense eye :)

mannypooh on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Amendment: If someone in the queue before me really wants to play Chief, go ahead. I'll play anything.

Oh, hey, when is this going to be set in the timeline of the show? (I assume that it's pre-Final Five reveal for obvious reasons o' plot.)

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I am indeed sticking with Helo.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Game is here, cracking it open and shuffling some cards up now.

As soon as we've got all the characters chosen, I'll deal out your initial hand and loyalty cards.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I thank you all for your inspiration.

PRESIDENT Gaius Baltar in da haus.

...Now none of you even dare to touch Roslin, m'kay?

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    By the rules, GoodOmens is required to pick either a pilot or the Chief. Only after a pilot has been chosen could anyone choose another military or political leader.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Looks like we're going to need a pilot worth a frak on this boat. Starbuck, reporting for duty.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    A fine choice, and I look forward to watching you blow many frakking toasters out of the vacuum of space.

Two more character choices, and we can get this thing going. Anyone can be chosen; we've got one of each type of character.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I will take Chief then.

giltanis on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Oh, man. Given free rein of everything that's remaining, I've got to take my favorite character: Bill Adama.

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    All characters chosen; I'm PMing you your initial loyalty card(s). Everyone who isn't Helo needs to respond to that PM by telling me which three cards from your skill set you would like to draw for your initial hand.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Once Starbuck draws some cards, we'll be ready to start. With Helo. Who is, of course off the board. So, we'll be ready to start with a crisis.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Initial draw sent. Let's frak up some of these bastards.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Okay. All cards sent; PM me if there are any problems.

Helo's turn
    1. Receives skills
    2. No movement - off board
    3. No action - off board
    4. Crisis step.

Uh oh, someone has been messing with your Cylon detector!

Detector Sabotage
    8 Leadership, Tactics
    Pass: No effect
    Fail: All characters in the "Research Lab" location are sent to Sickbay. Keep this card in play. Players may not look at other players' Loyalty Cards.
    (Activate heavy raider)
    (Advance jump prep)
    bsg-game-board-turn-01.jpg

Discuss what you want to do, then pm me any cards you want to use for the skill check.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Hrm.

It's not really an option to let this one fail - being able to look at Loyalty Cards is too important to let go.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I can't do anything for us. I failed to choose to take a Leadership card as part of my initial cards.

giltanis on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I can drop some cardage on this.

Edit: Oh, man, I totally forgot about the whole "you start the game with Cylons on the board" thing. :(

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I can do so as well.

(If I'm able to even participate in this one, seeing as I'm gone. :P)

Hylianbunny on