As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Movie Release Awareness - December '08 (Ex-Presidents, Aliens, and Wrestlers)

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    i searched for slumdog on the entire forums
    there are only a handful of posts
    guys, you need to see this movie
    It would be tough for most, as it is only a limited release and has been out for a few weeks.
    :| ah well

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I am a big fan of Danny Boyle, but it didn't come anywhere close to me.

I'm going to have to wait for the DVD.

=/

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited November 2008
    Updated with the month's new DVD releases.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Went to see Changeling with my mom today (way behind I know)

Yawn.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • WobblieWobblie Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I honestly liked the first (recent) punisher movie. I am not enthusiastic about this new one at all.

These are my sentiments exactly. While I'm all for tons of explosions and shit, too much seems to be dragging this movie down.

Wobblie on
    siggyem2.jpg
  • chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So, Let the Right One In. Holy shit. I don't think I've ever seen a more mind blowing last scene.
    Through the whole movie I was wishing they would explain who her "dad" was and what that whole situation was about, and then at the end my thought process went something like "oh how nice, they're going on a trip together... wait a second... OH SHIT!! ". I really didn't see that coming and I completely bought that she cared for Oskar and was kind at heart, but looking back I can see how she was just manipulating him a lot of the time.

One of the best movies of the year for sure.

chuck steak on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I might go see Frost/Nixon, as it looked pretty good. Everything is really DVD fair, nothing that I particularly want to see on the big screen.

tofu on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The director was fired (not offically) due to Lionsgate removing the film's score and replacing it with lame heavy metal tracks, not to mention the script revisions the producers kept forcing on her.

She was pissed.

Also, no Tom Jane who stayed in shape for an entire year while he waited for Lionsgate to get their heads out of their asses and make a good script. They didn't even seem to care how dedicated he was.

But apparently she didn't leave after all, but I won't argue with you about backstage conspiracies. I'm also not going to defend studio execs or the problems the movie has gone through, but I'm personally not miffed about Thomas Jane leaving, as I didn't think he was a very good choice to begin with, dedication or not. I have high hopes for Ray Stevenson's post-Rome career, though.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited November 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    The director was fired (not offically) due to Lionsgate removing the film's score and replacing it with lame heavy metal tracks, not to mention the script revisions the producers kept forcing on her.

She was pissed.

Also, no Tom Jane who stayed in shape for an entire year while he waited for Lionsgate to get their heads out of their asses and make a good script. They didn't even seem to care how dedicated he was.

But apparently she didn't leave after all, but I won't argue with you about backstage conspiracies. I'm also not going to defend studio execs or the problems the movie has gone through, but I'm personally not miffed about Thomas Jane leaving, as I didn't think he was a very good choice to begin with, dedication or not. I have high hopes for Ray Stevenson's post-Rome career, though.
    There are a ton of differing stories about what happened with her.

She even made a huge post on her blog bashing the producers and Lionsgate, but then deleted the entire thing.

I'm willing to believe they did it due to the whole Mightnight Meat Train fiasco.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    I dare you fuckers to read Marley & Me.

Dare you.

Does the dog die? I bet it dies.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I dare you fuckers to read Marley & Me.

Dare you.

Does the dog die? I bet it dies.
    Did it win a Newbery award?

If so, yes.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So, Let the Right One In. Holy shit. I don't think I've ever seen a more mind blowing last scene.
    Through the whole movie I was wishing they would explain who her "dad" was and what that whole situation was about, and then at the end my thought process went something like "oh how nice, they're going on a trip together... wait a second... OH SHIT!! ". I really didn't see that coming and I completely bought that she cared for Oskar and was kind at heart, but looking back I can see how she was just manipulating him a lot of the time.

One of the best movies of the year for sure.

I really enjoyed that movie, and I can't quite decide what the ending means.

I'm super excited for the Wrestler, as people have said that it has one of the best performance of the year, and Brothes Bloom, just cause aftter brick, I'll see anything Johnson does.

noir_blood on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    • Valkyrie is going to be incredible. The director and writer of the Usual Suspects? Yes please
    • Punisher 2 looks good. I am sad about Thomas Jane because he looked and sounded perfect, but god damn the rest of that movie was so fucking terrible. This one looks more like what a pictured a Punisher movie looking like - blood guts and carnage
    • I have no idea what the fuck is going on with Seven Pounds and I don't care enough to find out
    • I don't know what to think about The Day the Earth Stood Still. My first instinct is to retch, but I've been wrong before. I don't think I will be this time though
    • The Spirit is Sin City 1.5, which is fucking stupid because they should just make Sin City 2. I would watch Sin City 2. I would like Sin City 2. I will not watch nor will I like this goddamn travesty, especially with Frank Miller writing and directing. And Will Eisner? They are fucking his corpse
    • Hahaha, the Resident Evil CGI picture comes out in DVD this month. I'll definitely be renting that. All they need to do is have Leon suplex a zombie and say a cheesy one liner and it gets four fucking stars from me

Oh and what the hell is up with the blue text, stop that it's dumb. I have to highlight everything to read it

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, I think Spectre wants us all to go blind with his tiny tiny font.

I still can't decide on Valkyre and Spirit. I like Tom Cruise and haven't really been turned off by his crazy antics, but the movie seems very meh to me right now. And Spirit, well, The Spirit just looks really bad.

Supposedly Thomas Jane actually turned down the role for the sequel based on the script, so who knows what that says about this movie.

noir_blood on
  • frank as fuckfrank as fuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    RE: Let the Right One In
    As Meta pointed out to me after we saw it, did you guys know that Eli was actually a boy who had been castrated some years before?

The ending is Oskar taking over the old man's role in Eli's life. Knowing how that went for him, it's a pretty melancholy ending.

frank as fuck on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Why am I the only one that likes the way The Spirit looks?

Quid on
  • frank as fuckfrank as fuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Also re: Let the Right One In

I am not looking forward to the Cloverfield director's remake. At all.

frank as fuck on
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sam Mendes needs to get over his midlife crisis. Revolutionary Road looks like American Beauty in the 50s.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    RE: Let the Right One In
    As Meta pointed out to me after we saw it, did you guys know that Eli was actually a boy who had been castrated some years before?

The ending is Oskar taking over the old man's role in Eli's life. Knowing how that went for him, it's a pretty melancholy ending.
    lol Man, you guys are such downers. As I explained in the Nov. Movie Awareness thread, I saw the ending as happy (i.e. love) although with an eventual sad ending (what with Eli's ability to outlive Oskar). But yeah, I can see where the cyclical sense of finding new caretakers comes in but it's just so... unsatisfying. And practical. lol you can't take the happy ending away from me!!

Underdog on
    edited November 2008
    Sam Mendes needs to get over his midlife crisis. Revolutionary Road looks like American Beauty in the 50s.

I just read the book a few weeks back for a class, and it definately has a few of the same themes, mainly about the secrets of those around you as well as the take on suburbia.

He's directing Preacher, so that'll give him something different.

noir_blood on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

You don't like the way the Spirit looks, you like the way Sin City looks

Which isn't wrong, Sin City looks great

It's just not how the Spirit should look

And I heard Thomas Jane wasn't even considered for the sequel, they never even contacted him and he got all bitchy about it

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited November 2008
    See, I don't have any knowledge of Spirit outside of wiki, so what it's supposed to look like doesn't bother me.

Quid on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »
    And I heard Thomas Jane wasn't even considered for the sequel, they never even contacted him and he got all bitchy about it

I'm guessing it was for the same reasons Eric Bana was not contacted for the new Hulk; it's not really a sequel. They probably want to forget those movies were ever made.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

You don't like the way the Spirit looks, you like the way Sin City looks

Which isn't wrong, Sin City looks great

It's just not how the Spirit should look

When I first saw a poster at a theater for it, I was interested because it looks like Sin City. Since the sequel is development hell, I figured maybe this would be an okay inferior good. Now that I've seen a few trailers, the only way I'm going to see it is as a renter. I'm sure they were going for corny in some of the lines, but damn it looks dumb.

thanimations on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    • Hahaha, the Resident Evil CGI picture comes out in DVD this month. I'll definitely be renting that. All they need to do is have Leon suplex a zombie and say a cheesy one liner and it gets four fucking stars from me

I'm ashamed to admit I'm actually looking forward to this. I won't buy it, because it's going to be an abomination, but I'll watch it for the "sweet jesus, what the hell?" factor alone. You can watch the first 8 minutes at IGN and then the next two minutes under the red band clip at the same place.

It's as bad as you'd imagine, and absolutely perfect for resident evil.

werehippy on
    edited December 2008

I'm guessing it was for the same reasons Eric Bana was not contacted for the new Hulk; it's not really a sequel. They probably want to forget those movies were ever made.
    It was originally slated to be a sequel and Tom Jane was invested in being the Punisher again.

Here's Punisher: Warzone's troubled development cycle:
    Wiki wrote:

In February 2004, two months prior to The Punisher's theatrical debut, Lions Gate Entertainment announced the studio's intent to produce a sequel. Avi Arad, chairman and CEO of Marvel Studios, expressed his interest in developing the franchise, saying that the second film would "become the fifth Marvel property to become a sequel."In March 2004, the director of the first film, Jonathan Hensleigh, said that he was interested in working with Thomas Jane again for The Punisher 2.In April 2004, Jane said that the villain for The Punisher 2 would be Jigsaw.In November 2004, Jane said that the studio was interested in making a sequel based on successful DVD sales of The Punisher and was developing the preliminary budget for the follow-up.

In March 2005, Marvel Studios announced a 2006 theatrical release date for The Punisher 2.In April 2005, Lions Gate Entertainment's CEO Jon Feltheimer confirmed at LGF's 2005 fiscal 3Q analyst call that the studio had completed its deal to develop The Punisher 2.Arad indicated the sequel would be among the "handful of Marvel films" to carry the R rating.Prior to July 2005, Avi Arad revealed that the script was being rewritten and that the sequel would start filming within the year.By July 2005, Jane had put on an additional 12 pounds of muscle, and was hoping for filming to start in late-2006.

In March 2006, The Punisher 2 was announced to be produced in Louisiana,being listed in the domestic charter under Louisiana's Secretary of State.In August 2006, Marvel Entertainment revealed a new film slate that included The Punisher 2 on its partial list with production still to be determined.Thomas Jane said that the writer was halfway through a draft and that he believed filming would begin by February 2007. Jane confirmed that the villain Jigsaw, first announced in April 2004, would be in the film. Jane also said that director Jonathan Hensleigh would not be returning to direct the sequel.In addition, Lions Gate Entertainment, amidst the studios returning to New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina, announced that The Punisher 2 would begin filming within the year.In October 2006, Thomas Jane said the script was due in a couple of weeks, and that it would be "darker, bloodier and more unfriendly than the first one."In December 2006, the screenplay was being rewritten by screenwriter Stuart Beattie.

It was announced that Kurt Sutter, a writer for The Shield, was involved with the script for The Punisher 2, but what exactly he was doing was unrevealed.In an interview with Sutter, he said that he had an enjoyable time writing the script for the sequel and that it was going to be very true to the character. In a separate interview Thomas Jane revealed that a new script had been turned in and everyone was hoping it would work out, as the lack of a good script had been holding up production. He further stated that if everything goes as planned then filming should begin in June or July,but shortly afterward, in a letter to Ain't It Cool News Jane wrote that he had pulled out of the movie, stating:
    “What I won't do is spend months of my life sweating over a movie that I just don't believe in. I've always loved the Marvel guys, and wish them well. Meanwhile, I'll continue to search for a film that one day might stand with all those films that the fans have asked me to watch.”

In May 2007, director John Dahl was in talks to direct the movie, but decided to not helm the film, citing a bad script and lack of budget as reasons for passing.In June it was announced that Lexi Alexander would then take over the role as director as a result.On July 21, it was announced that actor Ray Stevenson would play the Punisher in the sequel to the 2004 film.Filming was slated to begin in October 2007 in Montreal.In August, a working title for the film, The Punisher: Welcome Back Frank was announced. On August 28, Lions Gate announced that the new working name for The Punisher 2 would be Punisher: War Zone.Paddy Considine was considered for the role of Jigsaw in the film but the offer was retracted.In mid-September, the director announced cast members joining Stevenson with Dash Mihok as Detective Martin Soap, Colin Salmon as Agent Paul Budiansky and Doug Hutchison as Loony Bin Jim. It was announced on September 25 via The Hollywood Reporter, that Dominic West will star as the main antagonist Jigsaw and Wayne Knight will play the Punisher's armorer Microchip. Filming occurred from October 22 until December 14 in Montreal. Principal photography for Punisher: War Zone was completed on December 27.

On February 14, 2008 writer Kurt Sutter officially removed his name from credit arbitration, stating:
    “I took my name off the movie for a few reasons. The obvious reason is because I didn't deserve credit. There was very little of my draft that stayed in the shooting script. The one big one they kept, was the set piece where we see how Russo becomes Jigsaw. It's pretty brutal. Glad they kept that.”
    The film was set for September 12, 2008 release, but was pushed back 3 months to December 5, 2008.A teaser trailer was released on June 12, 2008. On July 25, 2008 Harry Knowles of Ain't It Cool News wrote an article claiming that Lexi Alexander had been removed as the film's director. A second trailer was revealed to the public at the San Diego ComicCon on the same day. Lexi Alexander did not make an appearance at the convention, which caused speculation from the fans who attended the film's panel to question whether or not her name has been taken off the film. On August 15, website Latino Review reported that Lions Gate would be editing the film to receive a PG-13 rating. The director of photography, Steve Gainer, later claimed that the movie will be "R" and that Lexi is still on-board the project.On October 3, IGN confirmed that Lexi Alexander was not fired from the movie, based on an official statement they received from Lions Gate.

Sorry about the copypasta.

I'll be fixing the OP soonish.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I loved the Punisher.
    "You killed my son!"
    "auuuuuuuuugh! BOOM!"
    "I killed both of them."

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, Jane had Castle's tone down pretty well.

Also, I know most of you don't keep up with movie news as much as I do, so I thought of putting a small section of notable movie news from the previous month - in the OP.

AND fixed the OPs colors.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Really this is all the actual resident evil movies should of been!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited December 2008
    OP updated for the (hopefully) final time.

Bonus Edit: The first leaked photo of Gambit from X-Men: Origins!

4880gambit.JPG

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • theclamtheclam Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Has anyone heard anything about this:
    http://www.finallyequal.com/

Based on Harrison Bergeron by Vonnegut. The trailer looks pretty sweet and wikipedia has a bit about it.

theclam on
    rez_guy.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Milk is not showing in my town. I'm quite angry about this.

Kyougu on
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, Jane had Castle's tone down pretty well.

Also, I know most of you don't keep up with movie news as much as I do, so I thought of putting a small section of notable movie news from the previous month - in the OP.

AND fixed the OPs colors.

Having recently watched most of it after 3 or so years I have to say, was it always so damn boring? Im watching a Giant Russian man fight a crazed ex-cop Vigilante, so why is it so boring? Why is him storming a compound boring? Why so slow?

Im looking forward to 7 pounds. Everything else probably wont come here. So tell me how revolutionary Road was.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

The new Hulk was even worse than the Eric Bana one

nexuscrawler on
    edited December 2008

The new Hulk was even worse than the Eric Bana one
    You're wrong, stupid, and ugly.

Quid on
  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    theclam wrote: »

Based on Harrison Bergeron by Vonnegut. The trailer looks pretty sweet and wikipedia has a bit about it.

Considering the story takes all of 2 minutes to read, im wondering how they will draw this out.

edit: I like the touch of the annoying static throughout the trailor to kind of symbolize the handicap in the ears...man that stuff be annoying

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
    edited December 2008
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Do you live in a small hick town, by chance?

Edit: Also, I quite enjoyed the new Hulk movie. In fact, I'd probably say it was as good as Eric Bana's version, which I also enjoyed.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Edit: Also, I quite enjoyed the new Hulk movie. In fact, I'd probably say it was as good as Eric Bana's version, which I also enjoyed.

No, El Paso Texas. It's specially annoying since we tend to get almost all the movies. We're getting The Boy in the Stripped Pajamas for god's sake.

Kyougu on
  • thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

No, El Paso Texas. It's specially annoying since we tend to get almost all the movies. We're getting The Boy in the Stripped Pajamas for god's sake.

Give it a little time and I bet you'll see it, especially if it gathers steam up to the Oscars.

thanimations on
  • KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    theclam wrote: »

Considering the story takes all of 2 minutes to read, im wondering how they will draw this out.

edit: I like the touch of the annoying static throughout the trailor to kind of symbolize the handicap in the ears...man that stuff be annoying

Holy fuck. First, that is one of my favorite Vonnegut stories. It basically does in far fewer words what all other dystopian novels do: establish a harsh government, introduce a possible hero, and then bash the readers mind into depression.

Second, Kronos Quartet is doing some of the music. They did the music for Requiem, among other things.

Third, the art direction in that film looks pretty good.

Fourth, if Harrison and dancer don't leap up to the ceiling and kiss, I will be pissed.

Oh: It's a short film according to wikipedia. A guy on IMDB says its 25 minutes. That seems suitable.

Kealoha on
    !! ! ! !!