As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW]Death Kniggits: Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I went with Night Elf for the 2% melee evasion bonus. An extra 2% mitigation can't hurt for a tank.

I originally tried a gnome, but that got deleted pretty much as soon as I finished the Light's Hope event.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The toll sit is awesome. The Orc sit is pretty cool too but doesn't match the way they walk. They walk around like a brute but sit down straight backed with their hands on their knees crosslegged like samurai or something.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    FightTest wrote: »
    I went with a human instead of my typical gnome because I saw the Every Man For Himself trait and I thought that was just an improved version of escape artist on top of rep bonus and some expertise.

And then I realize in the mid 70s it's just a trinket replacement whereas escape artist can duo with a trinket and I really wish I was a gnome instead. Gnomes are so fucking awesome sometimes it hurts when I think about it.

Actually, Every Man for Himself is a much better racial, IMO. You're never caught without a 'PvP trinket' on, which is just maddening for classes like Rogues and Warlocks.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've been trying to find info about DK's. Namely what 1 str = in ap, 1 str is in + crit / dodge, but I admit I am failing. Anyone have a good link to send me to?

RedDawn on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    FightTest wrote: »
    I went with a human instead of my typical gnome because I saw the Every Man For Himself trait and I thought that was just an improved version of escape artist on top of rep bonus and some expertise.

And then I realize in the mid 70s it's just a trinket replacement whereas escape artist can duo with a trinket and I really wish I was a gnome instead. Gnomes are so fucking awesome sometimes it hurts when I think about it.

The best part about EMfH is that you don't need to wear a trinket. It frees up an equipment slot that can be used for stats. Which means that it scales with gear, something no other racial really does.

It also means you can trinket out of bullshit PvE situations when you normally wouldn't have a trinket equipped. Mobs with crap like slowing poison for 30 seconds are irritating as hell when you're trying to solo, and then there are instance fights where you get frozen/stunned/whatever while the boss does something awful to you and the rest of the group.

It's my favorite Alliance racial by far, although the new Shadowmeld is a close second on my druid. I dislike what they did to Perception especially with the nerf to Paranoia (voidwalker is the most useless PvP pet and adding it to his channel ability means no warlock ever has succesfully used it to detect someone stealthed).

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    RedDawn wrote: »
    I've been trying to find info about DK's. Namely what 1 str = in ap, 1 str is in + crit / dodge, but I admit I am failing. Anyone have a good link to send me to?

I think you can find most of it here.

# 1 point of stamina = 10 health (10.5 for Tauren)
    # 1 point of strength = 2 attack power, Increases parry rating by a % of strength. (As of 8714, see below)
    # 1 point of agility = 2 armor, and increased Dodge and crit

I'm not sure how accurate that website is though.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    ben_botben_bot Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    In honor of this thread title, I've named my DK Kniggits!

ben_bot on
    PSN: ben_bot
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Speaking of...

... Someone get on it and make a new thread!

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh what the fuck. Wasn't escape artist a 1 minute cooldown for a long time? Blizzard thought it was a great idea to make another alliance racial that did the exact same thing, plus so much more, with only a 15 second additional cooldown?

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    RedDawn wrote: »

I think you can find most of it here.

# 1 point of stamina = 10 health (10.5 for Tauren)
    # 1 point of strength = 2 attack power, Increases parry rating by a % of strength. (As of 8714, see below)
    # 1 point of agility = 2 armor, and increased Dodge and crit

I'm not sure how accurate that website is though.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

RedDawn on
  • Options
    frylockedfrylocked Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    Oh what the fuck. Wasn't escape artist a 1 minute cooldown for a long time? Blizzard thought it was a great idea to make another alliance racial that did the exact same thing, plus so much more, with only a 15 second additional cooldown?

Escape artist used to have a .5 second cast time that was pushed back by attacks. Longest .45 seconds of your life when you want to get out of a snare. I think the change was a buff.

frylocked on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Was there never a time when it was instant cast and a 1 min cooldown?

At the very least, if it was .5 second cast time and 1 minute cooldown, it would offer something significant that EMfH did not, but as it is now, it's just a totally watered down version.

Septus on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Woot hit the def. cap on my deathknight Kisen as well I just picked up my tier 7 dps chest.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Was there never a time when it was instant cast and a 1 min cooldown?

At the very least, if it was .5 second cast time and 1 minute cooldown, it would offer something significant that EMfH did not, but as it is now, it's just a totally watered down version.

I believe that when they made it instant cast, they at first made it have a chance to fail and increased the time to maybe 1:45? Something like that.

What is nice is that you dont need to stop moving to cast escape artist, you can use it pretty much on the fly. I wish it was like WOTF, and you could pop it preemptively and stay immune to snares for a few seconds.

frylocked on
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Escape Artist doesn't share a cd with the PvP trinket while EMfH does, which is a pretty significant difference.

khain on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    khain wrote: »

Escape Artist doesn't share a cd with the PvP trinket while EMfH does, which is a pretty significant difference.

Well in any situation other than battlegrounds/arenas/Wintergrasp(so, a lot of situations) where the trinket isn't equipped, Escape artist is way worse. In specific pvp scenarios, you may have a point, depending on how good your alternative trinkets can be.

I definitely dislike the big disadvantage for pve though, or random world gank-protection when you don't have a trinket equipped.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I do agree, gnome racials most likely need a little bit of help. With all the new ways to reapply snares quickly, it isnt as good as it once was. +5% int, engineering bonus that doesnt mean squat... yippeee.

Disclaimer: I play a gnome.

frylocked on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    frylocked wrote: »
    I do agree, gnome racials most likely need a little bit of help. With all the new ways to reapply snares quickly, it isnt as good as it once was. +5% int, engineering bonus that doesnt mean squat... yippeee.

And it's especially important for DKs, because I think every other class in the game, except warlocks, have some way to actively reduce or dispel snare or root time.

Septus on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My DK and new main is a Troll male. I then went to the barbershop and got the braids, and am now officially the most badass DK in game, and will never again wear a helm. (Or at least turn the graphic on).

And now I have a question, which is better for the DK? The sword has better stats, but is way faster, the pike has worse stats, but is way slower.

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=27751
    http://www.wowhead.com/?item=27752

EDIT: And btw it's replacing my Greatsword of Ebon Hold, I still haven't had any luck getting the axe or polearm out of HFC.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    frylocked wrote: »

And it's especially important for DKs, because I think every other class in the game, except warlocks, have some way to actively reduce or dispel snare or root time.

Well, aside from Toughness - 30% snare reduction there.

EDIT - wait, you said actively. so yeah. nothing.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2008
    Are there any viable dual-wielding specs that are good for leveling? I kinda want to try one.

Echo on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a bad spec for leveling a DK, as powerful as they are, so you could probably just dual-wield and slap points wherever you'd like. Raiding/instancing is another story, but I don't have any cold, hard facts on that.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    EJ has some discussion about dual wielding.. the common advice is a bunch of low-tier talents in all three trees that give maximum weapon procs.

I suppose that's as good a place as any to start. Here's the spec they have in the thread:

http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?talent=jfV0VZG0ethxdRhoZfM0hxco

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Are there any viable dual-wielding specs that are good for leveling? I kinda want to try one.

From the pure standpoint of rawr min/max your dps go go go, it doesnt make much sense to dual wield.
    However, if you really want to for 'fun' (what the crap is that), the important talents to get are:

Nerves of Cold Steel (hit is the lifeblood of dual wielding)
    Killing Machine (more and faster hits means more crits)
    Nercrosis (white damage is another big part of dual wield dps)

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=jfV0oZG0It0xdoZfMh0x

Is the core talents I would choose. Looks like you would want to go frost... flesh that out some more. Frost is kinda neat because you are doing some more 'nuking' (aka howling blast and icy touch) which dont relate to weapon damage.

EDIT: forgot about the crit annhiliation gives you, so max that as well.

frylocked on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The very first thing I would get, is howling blast. I wouldn't dual-wield without it, as it's a pretty huge damage ability, completely separate from weapon damage.

I've got two schools of thought on dual-wielding, both of them go far enough in frost for Howling Blast. You could go kind of unholy heavy, to get impurity(which handily gives you gargoyle, and master of ghouls if you choose), so that you can get large boosts to HB/IT/DC, and eschew obliterate completely in favor of more icy touches. Or, go up to frost strike in the frost tree and replace death coil usage, and use obliterate whenever your HB cooldown would cause you to waste too much lost dps from not using the frost and unholy rune.

Septus on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Not to throw the thread off track, but Septus...

I've noticed you type with lots of commas after reading many pages of this thread. Some of them highly unnecissary :P

I just thought that was funny. Now back to, your regularly scheduled, program.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    what, the, fuck

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Come to the Writer's Block. We'll help you.

But you can never leave. It's like a goddamn Beckett novel in there.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Had some more fun with my DK last night. Usual group of friends I run with has a Prot Warrior tanking, Arms Warrior (who just recently went Fury), Ret Pally, myself and a Resto Druid. Needless to say, getting *any* upgrades is a pain in the fucking ass. I'm *still* using the De-Raged Waraxe from Amphitheater.

Well, lately the Resto Druid has disappeared from WoW, so the Ret Pally went back to Holy last night and we were going to run some things, PuGging a fifth. He wanted to start a bit slow to try to get used to any differences in Holy since he was healing last (pre 3.0), the daily was Culling and the heroic daily was Azjol-Nerub.

So we picked up a Rogue and headed to CoT:Strat, run was going just fine. Second boss I believe dropped the Spiked Metal Cilice, so at least 3 of us roll on it, myself and the Fury Warrior, and the Prot Warrior for the DPS set he's trying to build. Fury Warrior wins it, fair enough. We finish the run, the Rogue was ok, of course that is a bit of an AoE friendly instance as far as damage goes, and I topped the overall meters. In fact, I topped most of the boss fights at around 2k dps for that matter. The Fury Warrior has a bad tendancy of getting himself killed.

The Rogue leaves and we decide we're gonna do the heroic daily now that the Holy Pally is more used to how the new stuff works. We picked up an Enhancement Shaman. Had some trouble at the first boss event, got it taken care of by burning the Skirmishers first and do pretty fine until the double pull right before the last boss, the Prime Guards. The pull was going well, all of a sudden the tank got gibbed, we're still not really sure what happened, but we managed to get one of them down before we wiped. So we headed back down and finished the other one. Last boss did a couple of weird things, at one point he stayed burrowed for a *really* long time, and right after he came back up, he went back down. As the boss got down below 10% or so, suddenly the tank dies (I think he got hit by Pound), Fury Warrior gets gibbed, I immediately switch to Frost Presence and taunt him onto me. We finish the fight, but I *think* the Shaman might've died during it too, not sure. The second boss had dropped the 111 Stam trinket and the final boss dropped a very nice epic tanking belt, both of which I passed on despite trying to build my tanking set as well. Topped the overall meters there too, though I believe on the second boss the Fury Warrior beat me out.

So we get back to Dalaran and the Holy Pally finds he's just a few emblems short of being able to get a trinket and wonders if we wanna try heroic Nexus, we figure what the hell, and grab a Shadow Priest from the Prot Warrior's guild who wants to go. The guy has like 12k hp and 14k mana and is wearing pretty much all 70 epics... he also ends up being half-asleep or playing with himself the entire run. For the most part we may as well have been 4 manning it. Some of us have Atlas Loot, so as we're looking at the drops from the bosses, we come across the epic DPS plate belt that drops from the last boss, and the Fury Warrior starts debating comparing it to the belt he won in Strat, but finally says 'he'd roll on it.'

Well after a bit of trouble, and the Fury Warrior still getting himself killed in random pulls, including some weirdness with the arcane elemental boss who kept spawning Rifts like crazy, we finally get to the last boss. The fight's going fine, everybody jumping and looking retarded, when she does her Frenzy at 20% or whatever triggers it, and all of a sudden she murders the tank, gibs the Fury Warrior, the Shadow Priest might've died before that, I'm not sure. I had switched to Frost Presence as quickly as possible and as the dragon was heading towards the Holy Pally, I taunt her back, he kept me up a bit, her health still getting lower and lower, I missed hitting my Icebound Fortitude, end up dying, but Shadow of Death procs. As I'm coming back as a ghoul, she bolts for the Holy Pally and gibs him as he gets off a last Hammer of Wrath, drops her to like 600 hp, I get up in ghoul form and finish her off, it was pretty fucking epic.

Then I ran out of the instance, rezzing myself (since it's probably about the only time I'll get to exploit it), and run back in, waiting for everybody else to run back in so we can loot. At which time I tell the Fury Warrior, if the plate belt drops, and he rolls on it, I'll punch him in the dick. It was almost 2am, I wasn't trying to be mean, I was however trying to be blunt. I think I mentioned something about him just winning the belt in Strat, but I didn't expand on my reasoning. Seriously though, we have 3 to 4 DPS plate wearers we're trying to gear up, he *just* got an upgrade in that slot from an 80 instance not 2 hours ago, and he's already talking about rolling on a replacement, when I'm still using the fucking level 75 Dungeon Girdle BoE from Violet Hold.

The plate belt didn't drop anyway, the epic was something we just DE'd, so it was kind of a moot point, but seriously. I pretty much lead the meters in the Heroic Nexus as well... in fact I beat the Shadow Priest by 1.2 million total damage. He was fucking terrible, I really don't know what he was doing the whole time.

Honestly, I'm not sure the switch from Arms to Fury was a good idea... maybe he's still not used to Fury, or maybe the AoE from Bladestorm is what kept him up there, but when he was Arms, he'd routinely stay ahead of me.

If I can *actually* get a good Axe, like the one from Loken on Heroic, I can't imagine what my damage would be like. Not to mention if my AP was at/above 3k unbuffed like the Arms/Fury Warrior's is.

Edit: If anyone actually reads this, I'll be impressed, I just felt the need to rant. ;)

Dranyth on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dranyth wrote: »
    I pretty much lead the meters in the Heroic Nexus as well... in fact I beat the Shadow Priest by 1.2 million total damage. He was fucking terrible, I really don't know what he was doing the whole time.

Side Note: I'm getting the shit kicked out of me on my spriest in 5 mans when it comes to DPS. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. 1.2 million does sound like a lot though...

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Fig-D wrote: »
    I pretty much lead the meters in the Heroic Nexus as well... in fact I beat the Shadow Priest by 1.2 million total damage. He was fucking terrible, I really don't know what he was doing the whole time.

Side Note: I'm getting the shit kicked out of me on my spriest in 5 mans when it comes to DPS. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. 1.2 million does sound like a lot though...

He was only putting out like 800something DPS, and I think he died a bit. The Holy Pally's comment was that maybe if he wasn't wearing all level 70 epics, he'd have more than 12k health. Which is probably true, but I don't know if that was all of it.

I know at one point, heading to the Arcane boss, we went down a ramp and did about two pulls, and then noticed after that that the Priest was *just* coming down the ramp and catching up. And a couple of times that he died, he'd just go wander off apparently, because we'd have to rez him multiple times before he'd accept.

Seriously, he just wasn't paying attention and shouldn't have been running a dungeon with what he had going on, certainly not a heroic.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I read all of that waiting for something really funny to happen.

Well. Um. Thats all I got.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    spriests can have really fucking skewed dps in an instance because half their damage comes from dots which you absolutely have no reason to place on trash mobs, aside from Shadow Word Pain. You really aren't going to get an accurate view on how much they can pull out except on the boss meter, since theres just no point in putting 2 non-instant DoTs on a trash mob that will live for 5 seconds anyway.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Hehe, sorry... more or less turned into a rant, I guess it was how I started it off, eh? I mostly meant fun as in doing instances/heroics with friends and actually doing very well despite how lacking my gear seems to me.

I do like the utility I can bring in certain situations. Like the trash pulls where you need to pull them back, but they have a caster or archer that just wants to sit where it is and shoot. I let the tank know I'm gonna grab them, and Death Grip them into the group with everything else to be Thunderclapped and Shockwaved. I did have to educate my friends on Death Grip briefly though, how Death Grip forces the target to attack me for the next 3 seconds, which on Heroic is a *little* more intense than normal, which the Holy Pally didn't know and said it was useful to find out, letting him know he might have a toss a couple quick heals on me when I have to Death Grip something in. Strangulating casters and the like is also fun. The two times just last night that the tank died and I switched to Frost Presence and tanked long enough to finish off the boss, both on Heroic at that, was pretty neat.
    spriests can have really fucking skewed dps in an instance because half their damage comes from dots which you absolutely have no reason to place on trash mobs, aside from Shadow Word Pain. You really aren't going to get an accurate view on how much they can pull out except on the boss meter, since theres just no point in putting 2 non-instant DoTs on a trash mob that will live for 5 seconds anyway.

That's a good point, and something I should be used to, seeing as my main in TBC was a Warlock. I do still have the Recount data from that heroic Nexus and can show just Keristrasza, in which the Shadow Priest did 999.5 DPS for a 103k damage. The tank was above him at 1166.4 DPS and 111k damage. The Fury Warrior above that with 1458.7 DPS and 136k damage and my Death Knight on top at 1457.2 DPS and 156k damage dealt. On a single target boss fight. So take from that what you will.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I can't count the number of times when I was Blood spec that being able to switch to Frost and tank saved the group.

Gosh I love Deathknights.

Also, how do you guys feel about my spec for tanking?
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Sargeras&n=Kisen

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    Not to throw the thread off track, but Septus...

I've noticed you type with lots of commas after reading many pages of this thread. Some of them highly unnecissary :P

I just thought that was funny. Now back to, your regularly scheduled, program.

Entirely possible, that observation is.

Septus on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Hehe, sorry... more or less turned into a rant, I guess it was how I started it off, eh? I mostly meant fun as in doing instances/heroics with friends and actually doing very well despite how lacking my gear seems to me.

I do like the utility I can bring in certain situations. Like the trash pulls where you need to pull them back, but they have a caster or archer that just wants to sit where it is and shoot. I let the tank know I'm gonna grab them, and Death Grip them into the group with everything else to be Thunderclapped and Shockwaved. I did have to educate my friends on Death Grip briefly though, how Death Grip forces the target to attack me for the next 3 seconds, which on Heroic is a *little* more intense than normal, which the Holy Pally didn't know and said it was useful to find out, letting him know he might have a toss a couple quick heals on me when I have to Death Grip something in. Strangulating casters and the like is also fun. The two times just last night that the tank died and I switched to Frost Presence and tanked long enough to finish off the boss, both on Heroic at that, was pretty neat.

That's a good point, and something I should be used to, seeing as my main in TBC was a Warlock. I do still have the Recount data from that heroic Nexus and can show just Keristrasza, in which the Shadow Priest did 999.5 DPS for a 103k damage. The tank was above him at 1166.4 DPS and 111k damage. The Fury Warrior above that with 1458.7 DPS and 136k damage and my Death Knight on top at 1457.2 DPS and 156k damage dealt. On a single target boss fight. So take from that what you will.

I haven't been doing too much instancing, but keep in mind chains of ice with death grip for kiting goodness on non-casters.

Savant on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, everything I've seen with spriest is that we get pretty mediocre dps in general with entirely too much threat attached. I can generated ridiculous threat in a single boss encounter by going all out, yet end the fight hundreds and hundred of dps behind a mage who had half the amount of threat.

I'm not sure what all ghostwalker was going to do to spriests to help with damage, but it doesn't seem to be a whole hell of a lot. But this isn't the priest thread, so whatever.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

That would be all well and good if Mind Sear wasn't absolute RAPE.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Is there really a Blackpool Prison ? I named my Shaman Blackpool because I saw the name when I was in London three years back (one month after those Al Queda _ssholes bombed the Russell Square tube stop a block from the hotel) and thought it was pretty neat.

Fairchild on
This discussion has been closed.