As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pre-Fight Debate Thread: SEMI-FINAL ROUND

• Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    didnt ultron get the shit shot out of him by an emo nighthawk?

and if youre gonna talk about ultrons reflexes, he couldnt even fucking dodge a frisbee shaped EMP.
    it wasnt even thrown at him. it was thrown at someone else who then kicked it towards ultron.

he couldnt even dodge a fucking one-timer!

edit: found it
    runawaysv206page152hp6.jpg

in the panel before he was dodging those discs like the matrix. guess he couldnt calibrate for a different angle

although he's admittidley awesome, this makes him look like a fucking tool

delphinus on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Doom got the shit kicked out of him by Luke Cage.

Really, really badly.

Where were his magic spells and portals and shit then?

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    delphinus wrote:
    didnt ultron get the shit shot out of him by an emo nighthawk?

and if youre gonna talk about ultrons reflexes, he couldnt even fucking dodge a frisbee shaped EMP.
    it wasnt even thrown at him. it was thrown at someone else who then kicked it towards ultron.

he couldnt even dodge a fucking one-timer!

edit: found it
    runawaysv206page152hp6.jpg

in the panel before he was dodging those discs like the matrix. guess he couldnt calibrate for a different angle

although he's admittidley awesome, this makes him look like a fucking tool

Isn't Ricochet like a "step 2" Bullseye, in that he can hit essentially anything if he...err...ricochets it?

Or did I make that up at some point?

Where were his magic spells and portals and shit then?
    Don't be silly, Spex. They clearly don't work on black people.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Ultron is a robot with a giant red grin made of adamantium. That is like the ultimate minority character, so they shouldn't work on him either.

If people are going to post examples of Ultron's worst showings, how about that time Doom was beaten by a bunch of squirrels?

The fact that it may have been a Doombot doesn't matter at all, they're exactly like Doom in every way, except for the fact that they cannot operate at full capacity when attempting to act against Doom.

Or what about the time in Runaways when Ultron used a Doombot? That should give him some insight into Doom's armour's workings.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Can someone more knowledgable than I supply some info on the relative strengths of Doom's force-field and Ultron's version?

Edit: to be fair to Doom though, Squirrel Girl has wrecked so many powerful characters that he can't really complain when he's in such heady company as bloody Thanos and Terrax.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The stregnth of his field? That depends I suppose on how powerful the infinity gauntlets energy blast is at point blank range.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    GoodCitizenGoodCitizen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Doom is capable of withstanding blasts galactic beings with his forcefield and power armor.

He survived a blast from thanos' infinity gauntlet, which was arguably thanos at his peak levels.
    He survived an all out assault from the god damn BEYONDER, and then stole the beyonder's power.

Ultron's bad ass, but Doom is the ultimate.

GoodCitizen on
    Benjamin Franklin used foil covered window glass to create a capacitor. He then attempted to kill a turkey with the stored charge. Instead, he knocked himself out. Franklin later wrote, "I tried to kill a turkey but nearly succeeded in killing a goose."
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Didn't Beyonder let him steal his powers?

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Some Doom/Ultron action from secret wars:
    ultrondoom1.jpg
    ultrondoom2.jpg
    ultrondoom3.jpg
    ultrondoom4.jpg
    Edit: Galactus kicks Ultron's ass in the next few panels, if you didn't guess

And ya, later on beyonder says he let doom take the power.
    Still, after taking Galactus' power so he could fight the beyonder, Doom stood against Beyonder's assault for longer than Galactus himself.

GoodCitizen on
    Benjamin Franklin used foil covered window glass to create a capacitor. He then attempted to kill a turkey with the stored charge. Instead, he knocked himself out. Franklin later wrote, "I tried to kill a turkey but nearly succeeded in killing a goose."
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    So Doom basically admitted that, plucked from his kingdom and left only with what he usually has on his person, he isn't able to beat Ultron and needs help.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    So Doom basically admitted that, plucked from his kingdom and left only with what he usually has on his person, he isn't able to beat Ultron and needs help.

Thats not all there is to see in those panels.
    The setting there is actually really close to the setting in this tournament. Ultron is thrust into an environment where he's told to beat his opponent, and instead he goes all "Does not compute" and reverts to destroying every human being in sight. Meanwhile doom comes up with a plan that allows him to stop ultron.

Really, Doom can win this if he just has ... ugh, I can't believe I'm using this line... time to prepare.
    Every second that Ultron spends burning down Washington DC, the less chance he has of succeeding. In the end he'll be so distracted killing random citizens that I doubt he'll understand dooms plan(whatever he plans) before it's too late.

Also, THIS is the version of ultron thats in the tournament, so its not like anyone can say he would have upgraded since then or something.

GoodCitizen on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    robosagogo wrote:

Thats not all there is to see in those panels.
    The setting there is actually really close to the setting in this tournament. Ultron is thrust into an environment where he's told to beat his opponent, and instead he goes all "Does not compute" and reverts to destroying every human being in sight. Meanwhile doom comes up with a plan that allows him to stop ultron.

Really, Doom can win this if he just has ... ugh, I can't believe I'm using this line... time to prepare.
    Every second that Ultron spends burning down Washington DC, the less chance he has of succeeding. In the end he'll be so distracted killing random citizens that I doubt he'll understand dooms plan(whatever he plans) before it's too late.

Also, THIS is the version of ultron thats in the tournament, so its not like anyone can say he would have upgraded since then or something.

Presumably Ultron has reached a better understanding of the circumstances of the tournament after the last battle.

And if Nimrod knows what the fuck is going on, then surely Ultron must have been informed as well.

I don't really buy "Doom would come up with a plan" when it isn't followed by an actual plan he could use.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    Presumably Ultron has reached a better understanding of the circumstances of the tournament after the last battle.

And if Nimrod knows what the fuck is going on, then surely Ultron must have been informed as well.
    Alright, I'll buy that he wont be saying "I Do not understand how I came to be resurrected!"

Still, that doesn't change the fact that killing all human beings is Ultron's top priority always, ESPECIALLY in this Ultron version. If he has the option to kill doctor doom or a train that has 500 people on it, I'm pretty sure he'd go for the higher kill count. In other words, I doubt he'll place any special priority on doom, and just favor a 'kill em all' approach.

This'll buy doom time.
    I don't really buy "Doom would come up with a plan" when it isn't followed by an actual plan he could use.

He uses magic to screw up Ultron's innards just like scarlet witch did or...
    He calls the avengers or...
    He steals a S.H.I.E.L.D. superweapon or...
    He has equipment flown over from his Latveria or...
    He tricks that looney Sentry into throwing ultron into the sun, or maybe into galactus again

He's DOOM god dammit!
    If you give him enough of an opening, he WILL come up with a plan to win. (With the obvious exception of Richards, since he likes to gloat over richards instead of just killing him)

I don't know exactly what plan he'll come up with, but it'll happen, and Doom'll win

GoodCitizen on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I've never known Ultron to be distracted from killing the Avengers by a bunch of random bystanders, and I'm pretty sure it was Scarlet Witch's mutant powers rather than skill in magic that allowed her to screw with Ultron.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    I've never known Ultron to be distracted from killing the Avengers by a bunch of random bystanders, and I'm pretty sure it was Scarlet Witch's mutant powers rather than skill in magic that allowed her to screw with Ultron.

Ya, well, the avengers are trained to draw the fight away from innocent bystanders and keep the enemy focused on them.
    Doom just doesn't give a shit about american citizens, or even his own for that matter.

True, the aspect of Scarlet Witch that let her destroy Ultron might not have been magic. But, then, Doom is much more talented with actual magic. Not to mention that magic isn't all he has going for him, either.

If you want a serious plan... ok...
    Doom avoids confrontation for a short while in order to contact Latveria. Ultron doesn't mind much since he gets to kill lots of fleshy meatbags, and figures he'll get to Doom eventually. Meanwhile, the servant/computer/doombot/whatever that Doom called in latveria brings over some Antarctic Vibranium. Doom then beats on Ulton until only a pile of goo remains.

Don't think Doom could beat ultron with just some antarctic vibranium?
    Henry "Lame Ass" Pym did it...

GoodCitizen on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Any plan that presupposes the incompetence or ignorance of a genius is kind of a bad plan. Why would Ultron assume he can take his time killing Doom, knowing Doom is a world leader with unlimited resources?

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    would Ultron assume he can take his time killing Doom, knowing Doom is a world leader with unlimited resources?

I dunno, maybe because.... its what he does?!?

The adamantium version of Ultron is the same one that is in the above panels. Does he go straight for Doom/Galactus/Molecule Man, the three most powerfull people in the room? Nope, he just starts eliminating anybody he sees. Also, considering we're using THAT version of ultron, we know that the panels I posted were the last few moments of his life before he got reincarnated for this tournament. Besides the stuff he may have learned in the early rounds of this tournament, there couldn't be much difference in his state of mind.

It's not about thinking Ultron ignorant. He's just up against one of the smartest people in the entire marvel universe.

I really like Ultron and have alot of faith in his abilities. If this fight was on a deserted planet that couldn't be reached from earth, then I'd give this fight to Ultron, narrowly. As things are, though, I have to give it to Doom. It'd still be a close fight anyway...

GoodCitizen on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    would Ultron assume he can take his time killing Doom, knowing Doom is a world leader with unlimited resources?

The adamantium version of Ultron is the same one that is in the above panels. Does he go straight for Doom/Galactus/Molecule Man, the three most powerfull people in the room? Nope, he just starts eliminating anybody he sees. Also, considering we're using THAT version of ultron, we know that the panels I posted were the last few moments of his life before he got reincarnated for this tournament. Besides the stuff he may have learned in the early rounds of this tournament, there couldn't be much difference in his state of mind.

It's not about thinking Ultron ignorant. He's just up against one of the smartest people in the entire marvel universe.

I really like Ultron and have alot of faith in his abilities. If this fight was on a deserted planet that couldn't be reached from earth, then I'd give this fight to Ultron, narrowly. As things are, though, I have to give it to Doom. It'd still be a close fight anyway...

The Ultron in those panels wasn't competing in a tournament or given the specific goal of beating up Doctor Doom.

Where are people getting details like which Ultron is competing and that this all takes place in a Danger Room?

Anyway, if it is a Danger Room, then the only fleshy is Doctor Doom.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

The Ultron in those panels wasn't competing in a tournament or given the specific goal of beating up Doctor Doom.

Where are people getting details like which Ultron is competing and that this all takes place in a Danger Room?

Not competing in a tournament? Batteworld could easily be described as a tournament, or atleast a fight where the contestents are supposed to fight a designated group.
    ...and what does ultron do? He basically says "Fuck that" and starts shooting at the closest human targets he can find. I really don't see much difference in the circumstances.

Where am I getting the info on what version we're using?
    From the Pre-fight debate, 2 brackets back, quote is Dr Doom:
    Ultron (YES HE'S MADE OF ADAMANTIUM SHUT UP ALREADY)
    link: http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073844990

Huh? Danger Room? Wha?

GoodCitizen on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

Not competing in a tournament? Batteworld could easily be described as a tournament, or atleast a fight where the contestents are supposed to fight a designated group.
    ...and what does ultron do? He basically says "Fuck that" and starts shooting at the closest human targets he can find. I really don't see much difference in the circumstances.

Where am I getting the info on what version we're using?
    From the Pre-fight debate, 2 brackets back, quote is Dr Doom:
    Ultron (YES HE'S MADE OF ADAMANTIUM SHUT UP ALREADY)
    link: http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073844990

Huh? Danger Room? Wha?

They weren't even on Battleworld when Ultron went crazy. I'm pretty sure nobody knew there was a competition at that point either.

And the Ultrons after Secret Wars had adamantium bodies too (except for the one in Runaways, probably), so the comment doesn't prove that the competing Ultron is the one from Secret Wars.

Somebody said all the battles are taking place in a Doom's Danger Room in the Taskmaster/Nimrod thread.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The Ultron in Runaways did not have an adamantium shell.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Not really sure which one we're going with, but I just decided to use the most dangerous version to give ultron the benefit of the doubt.

Ultron mark 11 was the one on battleworld and destroyed ultron mark 12. I suppose it could also be ultron mark 6, which was the first one with an adamantium body. Another possibility would be the one that took over Slorenia(Mark 14 maybe?)

I guess I really don't know. I just took an educated guess. Mark 11 was made of pure adamantium, was more recent than Mark 6, and had the most interaction with Dr Doom to draw from. I could be wrong, but I don't think it'd make a major diference in this fight. The one that took over Slorenia MIGHT fare a little better, but not by much. His main thing was his army of ultrons, which he wont have access to in this fight.

GoodCitizen on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Spectre-x wrote:
    The fact that it may have been a Doombot doesn't matter at all, they're exactly like Doom in every way, except for the fact that they cannot operate at full capacity when attempting to act against Doom.

bullshit.

time for a picture show!

first we have examples of doombots:
    fantasticfour53715di7.jpg

fantasticfour18536cs7.jpg

and now we have Lord Doom...can you spot the difference?
    fantasticfour53716bp7.jpg

and to those who doubt doom's shields, only heard but have never seen...
    theinfinitygauntlet0417ba9.jpg

so really spex, you were making that shit up about all doombots being equal to doom right?

delphinus on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    No, no I wasn't. In the Books of Doom, the Doombot (who is at least sort of a reliable source of information) states that the Doombots are equal to Doom and even believe themselves to be the real Doom. However, they have a failsafe installed into them that reduces their otherwise equal-to-Doom abilities when in the vicinity of the real Doom.

Hey!

Guess where those other Doombots were!

And a dreadfully obsolete Ultron Six model's forcefields have stood up to the combined assault of the Avengers and Doctor Strange with the absolute greatest of ease. And Thanos doesn't really seem to be giving it his all in that page. He's just fucking with them.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Spectre-x wrote:
    No, no I wasn't. In the Books of Doom, the Doombot (who is at least sort of a reliable source of information) states that the Doombots are equal to Doom and even believe themselves to be the real Doom. However, they have a failsafe installed into them that reduces their otherwise equal-to-Doom abilities when in the vicinity of the real Doom.

Hey!

Guess where those other Doombots were!

And a dreadfully obsolete Ultron Six model's forcefields have stood up to the combined assault of the Avengers and Doctor Strange with the absolute greatest of ease. And Thanos doesn't really seem to be giving it his all in that page. He's just fucking with them.

Yeah, he was trying to impress Death, not overwork her.

Also, notice Dooms cloak is pretty fucked up? Yeah, somethin tells me his forcefields not impenetrable then.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Thanos doesn't really seem to be giving it his all in that page. He's just fucking with them.

you're not serious are you?
    someones taking his gauntlet while he's down
    and he's not trying to prevent it?

hes fucking glowing with power as he's getting up.

'not giving his all'...not even a point anymore
    just get to voting

delphinus on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    delphinus wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Thanos doesn't really seem to be giving it his all in that page. He's just fucking with them.

just get to voting

It's Thanos. He has 2 modes.

Trying to impress Death by killing everything.
    Trying to impress Death by destroying everything.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    delphinus wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:

just get to voting

Someone who is obviously very much inferior to Thanos is trying to steal the gauntlet.

Thanos does not give a shit about who Doom is. He is just "no, fuck you, you're not getting it." and blasts him away with minimal effort.

Considering the power of the Infinity Gauntlet, it is fucking OBVIOUS that Thanos is holding back when shooting Doom. Even with just the Power gem, a fully-powered blast would have unhinged the very bonds holding Doom's atoms together.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I got to agree with Spec. Thanos didn't bother hitting him a second time.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    TehChowdTehChowd Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    3rd'ed. I could be wrong, but I'm almost positive that scene is when Thanos agrees to intentionally lower his power level so the heroes have a fighting chance against him. He shuts off his omniscience, control of time, etc, and just starts busting heads. The whole fight is pretty entertaining, and is definitely marked by him ignoring maybe a dozen or so heroes. I mean, he doesn't even bother to kill Captain America until the very end, and he does so with a single backhand.

How this relates to the Doom thing is that though Thanos was definitely wrecking house, he definitely wasn't insta-killing everyone in sight like he could have been. So I'm not sure surriving the blast is an accurate a measure of the strength of Doom's forcefields. However, Ultron certianly is no Infinity-gem powered Thanos, so I guess maybe there's a middle ground here? Like a weak blast from Infini-Thanos = A comperable full-on blast from Ultron?

TehChowd on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Doom himself mentions that Ultron has enough power to break through his forcefields.

An obsolete Ultron model, no less.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    CBG BlenderCBG Blender Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, Thanos was wearing the Infinity Gauntlet. If he willed it, he could remake the entire universe atom by atom. Even with the power gem alone, which "contains access to all power and energy that ever has or will exist," (wiki) it would allow him to pretty much rock anyone. So, he pretty much had to have been holding back. Otherwise, he could have vaporized everyone there, or split every atom in their body, or whatever. If a fly lands on me, I don't go ape and hit it with all my might. I swat it away.

CBG Blender on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    Help which he has.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Peeps ChickenPeeps Chicken Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Doom himself mentions that Ultron has enough power to break through his forcefields.

"Eventually, he might even batter through my personal force field."

That's about as convincing as "he might be able to hurt me, if I just sit right here and take a little nap."

Peeps Chicken on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So will there be an actual "vote" on this at some point?

I'm eager to see how many more votes Doom gets.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    robosagogo wrote:
    Help which he has.
    Not from Molecule Man.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    So will there be an actual "vote" on this at some point?

I'm eager to see how many more votes Doom gets.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073846681

GoodCitizen on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Spectre-x wrote:

That's about as convincing as "he might be able to hurt me, if I just sit right here and take a little nap."

A cocky and very self-assured villain claiming that someone might EVENTUALLY better him? Perish the thought. Doom is always serious when he says "They might EVENTUALLY break my forcefield!"
    Definitely not Latverian for "Oh fuck, this guys kicking my ass."

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Thanks Goodcitizen! *salutes*

Boy you sure are go... oh look a pony!

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    Peeps ChickenPeeps Chicken Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Spectre-x wrote:

A cocky and very self-assured villain claiming that someone might EVENTUALLY better him? Perish the thought. Doom is always serious when he says "They might EVENTUALLY break my forcefield!"
    Definitely not Latverian for "Oh fuck, this guys kicking my ass."

So now we're to assume that an internal monologue that says "eh, maybe eventually at some point X" means "oh crap, definitely X, right now!"?

I'd understand the point if Doom was proclaiming it out loud, so as to not lose face (a bad pun when it comes to Doom, but you get my point). Those were thought balloons though, so unless he's trying to maintain his bravado for all the mind readers in attendance, I'm not sure I believe he miscalculating a factor that relates to his personal safety.

Peeps Chicken on