As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW]Death Kniggits: Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

• 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Never ever go to Blackpool, ever.

815165 on
  • Little JimLittle Jim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    yeah scarborough is much better

(f u c k lancashire)

Little Jim on
    th_crabz.png
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Mgcw wrote: »
    spriests can have really fucking skewed dps in an instance because half their damage comes from dots which you absolutely have no reason to place on trash mobs, aside from Shadow Word Pain. You really aren't going to get an accurate view on how much they can pull out except on the boss meter, since theres just no point in putting 2 non-instant DoTs on a trash mob that will live for 5 seconds anyway.

That would be all well and good if Mind Sear wasn't absolute RAPE.

yes mind sear is completely awesome

Cilla Black on
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So is there any common thoughts on the best rune for an unholy DK leveling up through outland?
    None seem to jump out and be that good for Unholy.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've just been using cinderglacer.

815165 on
  • RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I really liked Swordshattering for the extra mitigation (and extra Rune Strikes once you get that). Although, once you get Fallen Crusader it becomes the go-to DPS rune.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So after being shot down as a DK tank (the two GM's are a prot pally and a prot warrior) how does this look for an unholy raid build?

I figure I'll bring some extra utility with blood tap glyphed and taking anti-magic shell

CLICKY

took corpse explosion for the lulz

Arch on
    edited December 2008
    What level do you get that one at? Stupid WoWhead says lvl 40 for all runes.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
    edited December 2008
    EWom wrote: »

eh I dunno...this is really for the theorycrafters to tear apart....I'm only a piddling level 60

Arch on
    edited December 2008
    Arch wrote: »

eh I dunno...this is really for the theorycrafters to tear apart....I'm only a piddling level 60

Sorry I was referring to
    Fallen Crusader it becomes the go-to DPS rune.

Didn't noticed you posted between us.

EWom on
    edited December 2008
    what I REALLY want is a discussion of the value of morbidity.... I guess extra healing for your ghoul is nice? but even at 60 I rarely death coil as unholy. If I have extra RP I am going to repop UB or summon a gargoyle if I can.

But is it better than 3% dodge? Probably. And the CD reduction of D&D is good for dps as well I guess considering we are AOE machines....

Arch on
    edited December 2008

Sorry I was referring to
    Fallen Crusader it becomes the go-to DPS rune.

Didn't noticed you posted between us.

Then 70 i think

Arch on
  • RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    yeah, fallen crusader is 70

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I can't count the number of times when I was Blood spec that being able to switch to Frost and tank saved the group.

Gosh I love Deathknights.

Also, how do you guys feel about my spec for tanking?
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Sargeras&n=Kisen

Seems to be okay except get I personally would get the talent in unholy that drops Death and Decay's CD to 15 seconds. Seriously, that is the most amazing tanking move you have, halving the CD is a pretty big deal. Also Guile of Gorefiend gives your Icebound fortitude another 6 seconds which is pretty sweet too, that's 50% more time with 50% less damage. Tundra stalker is nice too as it gives you a flat 10% bonus damage to all abilities you use when frost fever is up, which it should always be.

Without Icy Talons
    With Icy Talons

Just an example.

TheGerbil on
    edited December 2008
    How about taking the points out of Blood,
    and putting them into Unholy ?

Would that work, if not for raids, but for 5mans? I'd really rather go into Unholy for trivial things like Pale Horse, that improve my game play experience, than the tanking boosts in Blood.

EWom on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm having a lot of fun as blood for PvE 10 mans and instances. The buffs I can throw around are pretty fun, and I can put up some pretty big numbers, which is always good times.

Inquisitor on
  • RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've been leveling blood and I have to say I love it. It feels like I'm doing an absurd amount of damage as well as having zero downtime. My white crits at 68 are1.6k to 1.8k, granted I went out to the Borean Tundra and have gotten some amazing upgrades for stepping off the boat.

Even with BC greens and blues I never had to group up for even the harder quests. This class is just fun, it is what I wanted the warrior to be right off the bat, I just hope they don't tweak them too much. I know some things need to come in-line with other classes I just don't want to get completely disabled and rebuilt.

RedDawn on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    what I REALLY want is a discussion of the value of morbidity.... I guess extra healing for your ghoul is nice? but even at 60 I rarely death coil as unholy. If I have extra RP I am going to repop UB or summon a gargoyle if I can.

But is it better than 3% dodge? Probably. And the CD reduction of D&D is good for dps as well I guess considering we are AOE machines....

Morbidity is pretty awesome for the reasons you just described. If you're going for pure dps, it's at the very least better than 3% dodge, if you ever want to tank it's a must have because DnD is your primary aggro tool. Also, with the right talents, on longer fights you'll be swimming in RP to burn. When your gargoyle's on cooldown, and you just hit unholy blight and you have 40 RP left and in 3-4 global cooldowns you're going to be pushing 100 again, there's your change to spit out some death coils. I consider it a must have for any unholy build.

Dissociater on
  • AlgorefiendAlgorefiend Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    (v0 o.o)====0 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    falcon punch!!!!!

Edit: ignore that. i was a few pages behind. heh ,.....

Algorefiend on
  • programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So after being shot down as a DK tank (the two GM's are a prot pally and a prot warrior) how does this look for an unholy raid build?

I figure I'll bring some extra utility with blood tap glyphed and taking anti-magic shell

CLICKY

Anti-magic zone!

I would change it like this though:
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deathknight=2305021201000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000230200331123115253101203103151&glyph=170816050403

Moved some talent points: parry for a non-tank? No. Desecration is also a no, esp. if you take glyph of scourge strike. You almost never just sit around and dps without moving at all for long enough for desecration to be worth it. Rage of Rivendare is very good. Wandering Plague is, according to Elitist Jerks, either excellent or near worthless depending on the pull, so I moved those points. I'm not entirely sure anti-magic zone is not just a gimmick, but I left it since you think you want it.

Changed a glyph glyph of death strike (immunity to raid damage, basically).

Though this could be good as well:
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deathknight=2305021403000010000000000000000000000000000000000000000230200325023115203100203103150&glyph=170816050403

It's more based around boss fights and goes deeper into blood. You sacrifice Unholy Blight which is excellent trash DPS, but Mark of Blood and a 30 second 10% party heal would be simply excellent on tough fights. AMZ just breaks too bloody fast.

programjunkie on
    edited December 2008

CLICKY

Anti-magic zone!

I would change it like this though:
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deathknight=2305021201000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000230200331123115253101203103151&glyph=170816050403

Moved some talent points: parry for a non-tank? No. Desecration is also a no, esp. if you take glyph of scourge strike. You almost never just sit around and dps without moving at all for long enough for desecration to be worth it. Rage of Rivendare is very good. Wandering Plague is, according to Elitist Jerks, either excellent or near worthless depending on the pull, so I moved those points. I'm not entirely sure anti-magic zone is not just a gimmick, but I left it since you think you want it.

Changed a glyph glyph of death strike (immunity to raid damage, basically).

Though this could be good as well:
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deathknight=2305021403000010000000000000000000000000000000000000000230200325023115203100203103150&glyph=170816050403

It's more based around boss fights and goes deeper into blood. You sacrifice Unholy Blight which is excellent trash DPS, but Mark of Blood and a 30 second 10% party heal would be simply excellent on tough fights. AMZ just breaks too bloody fast.

Man my problem is I like Desecration too much....I don't know why, but I REALLY like it...I'm sad that 99% of people think it is trash....It IS a little bit bloated (e.g. too many points in it for it to be useful) but unfortunately that is the main problem with death knight's unholy trees (and the rest of their trees as well, but not so much as unholy)

Do want: Magic suppression and Desecration need to be lower in number of talent points needed to "fill" it up and move on. 5/5 for both to get either A. any real use or in the Case of Magic suppression get B. anti-magic zone

if I left out AMZ I would do something like this but I just kind of assume that i will be the AMZ bitch if I choose to abandon my healer to raid...

Arch on
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So I moved my dk at 68 into the Fjord, I also respecced into UH dps build again from the frost dps build I was running for the 60s. As unholy I am finding I get dropped in multi-pulls much faster then I did in Frost, isn't UH the AOE king? Am I doing it wrong or something? Or is it just my under lvled state and semi crap gear? for referance the character is Cryx on Shattered Hand US I would provide an armory/build link but work doesn't cooperate with that.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    So I moved my dk at 68 into the Fjord

Are you horde? Because you get a nice blue axe for doing the Hellscream series that sends you to the Tanuka. Makes Borean the best place to start for a DK.

xzzy on
  • cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Man my problem is I like Desecration too much....I don't know why, but I REALLY like it...I'm sad that 99% of people think it is trash....It IS a little bit bloated .

Desecration is pretty horrible. A number of reasons: It lasts 12 seconds, but your rotation lasts 20ish, so it's already less than 1% dps per point. Probably 70% (made up) of the fights in the game require moving, which makes it worthless. It precludes the use of the Scourge Strike glyph, which most are finding is the best way to do Unholy DPS. And, even more importantly, it makes it fucking impossible to see anything on the ground.

cncaudata on
    PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It reeeaallly needs to go back to a 10% damage buff, and the graphic should be changed to something flatter, so as not to obscure everyone's view.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    xzzy wrote: »

Are you horde? Because you get a nice blue axe for doing the Hellscream series that sends you to the Tanuka. Makes Borean the best place to start for a DK.

In fact I am Horde. I will head over to Tundra I went with Fjord more because I am more familar with the zone then anything. I am hoping to get this guy to 80 before the more casual guild members get their mains to 80 for Naxx 10 which we will likely be starting on the 16th or so I am guessing.

Blood remains the only DK tree I don't have much exp with, but if I keep dropping like I have been as UH I will likely head back to Frost or give Blood a try.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    xzzy wrote: »

In fact I am Horde. I will head over to Tundra I went with Fjord more because I am more familar with the zone then anything. I am hoping to get this guy to 80 before the more casual guild members get their mains to 80 for Naxx 10 which we will likely be starting on the 16th or so I am guessing.

Blood remains the only DK tree I don't have much exp with, but if I keep dropping like I have been as UH I will likely head back to Frost or give Blood a try.

I would say give blood a try. I have no problems whatsoever in northrend. I went out at 68.

Link to my armory.

RedDawn on
    edited December 2008
    Blood does slightly less DPS for me than Frost does.. but Blood gives so many ways to heal yourself up, the two balance out.

xzzy on
  • ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You know whats hard? Getting gear from instances in Outlands, because who are the only people there nowadays? That's right...us.

4 DK's for Ramps...owned it. Didn't win a single plate item or weapon.
    3 DK's and a paladin for Blood Furnace...owned it too. Didn't win a single plate item or weapon.

I think I will take the advice of not doing ANY instances in Outlands and just power through to Northrend.

I did solo Overlord and Natural Remedies at 65 however. Although with Overlord I had to finish him off as a ghoul. It was still quite satisfying.

Shawnasee on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    You know whats hard? Getting gear from instances in Outlands, because who are the only people there nowadays? That's right...us.

4 DK's for Ramps...owned it. Didn't win a single plate item or weapon.
    3 DK's and a paladin for Blood Furnace...owned it too. Didn't win a single plate item or weapon.

I think I will take the advice of not doing ANY instances in Outlands and just power through to Northrend.

I did solo Overlord and Natural Remedies at 65 however. Although with Overlord I had to finish him off as a ghoul. It was still quite satisfying.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, your starting gear is actually very competitive with almost anything you'll find in outland from 58-68. Most things you'll get are sidegrades at best. But once you get into northrend at 68 you'll find yourself replacing all of your gear very quickly. A new DK's focus should be getting out of outland as soon as they possibly can.

Dissociater on
    edited December 2008
    Shawnasee wrote: »

The only group quest in Outlands I couldn't do on my own was that Cruel Intentions one in Hellfire. Well, I couldn't do it at 61. By the time I'd gotten a couple more levels I was in other regions and didn't feel like spending the time to backtrack. I did every other elite quest in Hellfire, Terokkar, and Nagrand. I killed that undead boss at Kirin'Var in Netherstorm too.

I've noticed my dominance has decreased a bit in Northrend, some elites in the dragon wastes give me a lot of problems.

It was kind of nice to be so overpowered in Outlands.. I finished a lot of quests I'd never done on my other characters so it was cool there was still some new content for me to witness.

xzzy on
  • frylockedfrylocked Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Do you think I would be able to solo normal black morass at 80 with basically the finest heroic tanking gear? I am unholy spec, so I am doing roughly 1500 dps in frost presence.

Soloing elixir specialization 4tl.

frylocked on
  • mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I still see groups being formed for BC instances. Grab some of them

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I managed to solo normal shadow lab, so bm shouldn't be that bad.

IvanIssacs on
    edited December 2008
    Hysteria + Dancing rune weapon is good times. And abomination and blood aura is a pretty nice boon for a group with melee DPS in it. Once I can get the glyph of icy touch, then I'll have a really solid rotation of moves going.

Inquisitor on
  • frylockedfrylocked Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    For those DKs that are scraping defense together, you might consider soling for Dabiri's Enigma (quest in Netherstorm, easily solable) and maybe going into TBC Shadowlabs for a Adamanetium Figurine.

frylocked on
    edited December 2008
    As nice as dancing rune weapon is I'm really having trouble deciding why it and blood gorged are worth taking for a leveling build. Extra damage above 75% hp is OK, but seeing as I spend most of my fights hovering a little under that, it doesn't seem amazing. Dancing rune weapon is cool for group battles and instances but in regular leveling battles I just don't see a need to use it when the battles last all of 10 seconds anyway.

I'd much rather use those talent points to get the free obliterate talent from frost in addition to icy talons.

This is the talent build I'm looking to be building while going through outland. Having capped icy talons by 68 and a free obliterate at 71. Then I haven't decided what to do next.

But it just seems to me that 20% haste basically all the time as well as a "free" obliterate is better for a leveling build than dancing rune weapon every 3 minutes, 5 extra expertise, 10% damage over 75% hp and the occasional free/crit death coil. Not to mention the other frost talents I'd be using. Agree or disagree?

Cilla Black on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I would agree. Annihilation is very nice to have, and even with the healing abilities of blood, I think you'd often be under 75% if you were taking on several mobs at once.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited December 2008
    Also is it just me or are none of the dk glyphs really that nice to have? Some are definitely good, but there aren't any of the glyphs you see in other classes which just make so much difference.

Cilla Black on
    edited December 2008
    As nice as dancing rune weapon is I'm really having trouble deciding why it and blood gorged are worth taking for a leveling build. Extra damage above 75% hp is OK, but seeing as I spend most of my fights hovering a little under that, it doesn't seem amazing. Dancing rune weapon is cool for group battles and instances but in regular leveling battles I just don't see a need to use it when the battles last all of 10 seconds anyway.

I'd much rather use those talent points to get the free obliterate talent from frost in addition to icy talons.

This is the talent build I'm looking to be building while going through outland. Having capped icy talons by 68 and a free obliterate at 71. Then I haven't decided what to do next.

But it just seems to me that 20% haste basically all the time as well as a "free" obliterate is better for a leveling build than dancing rune weapon every 3 minutes, 5 extra expertise, 10% damage over 75% hp and the occasional free/crit death coil. Not to mention the other frost talents I'd be using. Agree or disagree?

Well, to be fair I wasn't really talking about a leveling build. Though, that build is pretty close to the build I am using right now at 80: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=jfVMqh0IsbRxzAoG0x0hZfM

Glyph wise icy touch and obliterate are pretty nice.

Inquisitor on
This discussion has been closed.