As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Terminator: Cancellation of Show Chronicles [nsf56k i guess]

• RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wow, the general consensus is that Riley is from the future? [strike]I really don't think that's the case at all.[/strike]

On second thought, now that this thread has brought it up, and after looking into, I concede my last comment and join the status quo.

The evidence--especially all the talk of former foster parents--seems most convincing of this idea.

I'm honestly rather confused by the commotion over this idea. To my recollection the show spelled this out very, very clearly.

Raynaga on
  • TonyTheLeperTonyTheLeper Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Shens wrote: »
    I have seen the cancer wheel chair guy before...

Was he Dale on Jericho?

He played Trombli the psychotic camel killer in Generation Kill.

:!:

Whopper Junior! Whopper Junior! Whopper Junior!

HC: Thank you for this. Had been buggin the shit out of me. Man...kinda surprised by his acting chops...pretty different characters.

Now I want him back. Beat that cancer boy! C'mon!

Yeah. I couldn't figure it out. He played a much different character in this and he was fantastic. I kinda doubt we will see him again though, judging by the end of the episode.

I'm pretty sure that is Billy Lush. He was kevin donnelly in the black donnelly's as well. I don't know how many people watched that show but he was one of the main chars, minus the scruff.

TonyTheLeper on
  • FendallFendall Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think the stars thing was just a running theme. Its probably going to turn out to be something important that wont be revealed for a while.

My guess?
    avp23.jpg

Fendall on
  • DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    On the Dots.

Skynet probably runs on a different calendar than BC/AD -- the most accurate thing it has is the sky, which we've been shown that it has more than enough capacity to tell time from.

Resistance forces probably broke in, saw the coordinates and target left behind by the 1920's terminator departure, but had no clue what it meant (along with all the other targets listed in the center). Most of it probably didn't make any sense, actually, so they simply gathered all the intel off the monitors and sent the messenger back, hoping someone in the past would be able to connect the dots. During the process, Skynet forces attempted to retake the center before valuable intel about priority targets other than John was provided to the resistance in the past.

Doronron on
    edited December 2008
    The fact that you skipped a perfect "....wait for it: CONNECT THE DOTS" thing renders your post invalid due to a lack of awesome. Sorry.

Raynaga on
    edited December 2008
    Doronron wrote: »
    On the Dots.

Skynet probably runs on a different calendar than BC/AD -- the most accurate thing it has is the sky, which we've been shown that it has more than enough capacity to tell time from.

Resistance forces probably broke in, saw the coordinates and target left behind by the 1920's terminator departure, but had no clue what it meant (along with all the other targets listed in the center). Most of it probably didn't make any sense, actually, so they simply gathered all the intel off the monitors and sent the messenger back, hoping someone in the past would be able to connect the dots. During the process, Skynet forces attempted to retake the center before valuable intel about priority targets other than John was provided to the resistance in the past.
    Raynaga wrote: »
    The fact that you skipped a perfect "....wait for it: CONNECT THE DOTS" thing renders your post invalid due to a lack of awesome. Sorry.

I think you missed something. :P

Doronron on
    edited December 2008
    I didn't, you just didn't put enough lame emphasis on it.

When its a lame statement, only by really going all out can you make it right.

Raynaga on
    edited December 2008
    Raynaga wrote: »
    I didn't, you just didn't put enough lame emphasis on it.

When its a lame statement, only by really going all out can you make it right.

Do you actually have something useful to contribute, or are you just going to be an asshole?

Doronron on
    edited December 2008
    Wasn't really meant to be mean, in fact it was mostly light-hearted. I apologize if you took it otherwise; the medium we're using makes context difficult, at best.

Raynaga on
  • LizardLizard Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So turns out there's a cure for metal fever after all.
    1228482290940sy1.jpg
    I'm not questioning John's judgment on that call any more. However, is it really necessary for him to keep treating Cameron like crap? Does she have "Be an asshole to me, all of the time" stamped on her forehead or something?

Lizard on
  • Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The woman who plays Jackie Taylor on Dr. Who has three freckles on her face that are exactly like the three dots.

Sharp10r on
  • Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lizard wrote: »
    I'm not questioning John's judgment on that call any more. However, is it really necessary for him to keep treating Cameron like crap? Does she have "Be an asshole to me, all of the time" stamped on her forehead or something?

I think John has feelings for Cameron, at least that's what I gathered from the first season and premier of the second. His assholosity is a way of hiding his attraction from everyone around him, probably even himself.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sharp10r wrote: »
    The woman who plays Jackie Taylor on Dr. Who has three freckles on her face that are exactly like the three dots.

Turns out that the time machine used is a crashed tardis. The humans and machines haven't totally figured out how to use it, hence the odd rules about being naked (I would, however, enjoy a naked Doctor Who, but I feel that wouldn't make it past the BBC censor board for a family show).

Scroffus on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Cameron seems stronger than other models. Her being smaller is 100% irrelevant.
    All her size tells me is that future John no longer has a thing for BBWs.

GungHo on
  • the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have seen the cancer wheel chair guy before...

Was he Dale on Jericho?

He played Trombli the psychotic camel killer in Generation Kill.

:!:

Whopper Junior! Whopper Junior! Whopper Junior!

HC: Thank you for this. Had been buggin the shit out of me. Man...kinda surprised by his acting chops...pretty different characters.

Now I want him back. Beat that cancer boy! C'mon!

Yeah. I couldn't figure it out. He played a much different character in this and he was fantastic. I kinda doubt we will see him again though, judging by the end of the episode.

I'm pretty sure that is Billy Lush. He was kevin donnelly in the black donnelly's as well. I don't know how many people watched that show but he was one of the main chars, minus the scruff.

Yup...great call. Now I'm disappointed with myself that I watched all of Generation Kill without making the Black Donnelly's link. I liked that show (BD). He was the brother w/ the gambling problem, right? Again, very different character from these other 2...gonna have to keep my eyes on this kid. He seems pretty versatile and talented...

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    the thing that should've made the idea of Riley being from the future perfectly clear was not just her talking with Jessie, but also her freaking on her foster family about how fake their life is.

Pony on
  • Double DeuceDouble Deuce Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Can anyone give me a good reason why Cameron would take out that T-888 in the wall? I've been thinking about it, and her objective is to keep John safe, but clearly that 888 had nothing to do with John (unless it was very indirectly, since we don't really know anything about his assassination target yet). So why did she go out of her way to take him out? Just because he was another Terminator? Because her chip is screwed up and she's just running wild now? Seems odd that she'd put that much effort into something that didn't affect her primary objective.

Double Deuce on
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Can anyone give me a good reason why Cameron would take out that T-888 in the wall? I've been thinking about it, and her objective is to keep John safe, but clearly that 888 had nothing to do with John (unless it was very indirectly, since we don't really know anything about his assassination target yet). So why did she go out of her way to take him out? Just because he was another Terminator? Because her chip is screwed up and she's just running wild now? Seems odd that she'd put that much effort into something that didn't affect her primary objective.

He's a passive threat someone could utilize as a tool eventually, and it was practical to do so? Confronting him was incidental to investigating the building?

Pony wrote: »
    the thing that should've made the idea of Riley being from the future perfectly clear was not just her talking with Jessie, but also her freaking on her foster family about how fake their life is.

Sarah said shit like that all the time in T2 and she's not from the future
    (I think Riley's from the future, I'm just sayin')

She could be someone like Miles Dyson, someone they showed some concrete proof.

JohnnyCache on
    edited December 2008
    The way her conversation with Jessie went basically confirmed it for me and I don't know how anyone can see it any other way.

Pony on
    edited December 2008
    If you read the creator blogs they also make it pretty clear, in that they just outright say it.

The actress playing Riley was told from the get-go, but no one else was if the blogs can be believed.

Raynaga on
  • Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Cameron's actions throughout the series shows that she's not just here to protect John. She has other agendas as well, we just don't know what they are yet. Plus, she's been helping Sarah with the bloody wall storyline. And, on that bloody wall was Stark's name right before the three dots.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So turns out there's a cure for metal fever after all.
    1228482290940sy1.jpg

I am sorry but riley just does not do it for me. She has this sort of man-jaw-chin thing going on. I'd rather bang a Summer Glau robot.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    I think that was the implication, yes.

i'm not exactly convinced. I mean when humans time travel, they go find a newspaper or ask someone. How do the humans know what the bots do post timewarp? That would be like the least effective way of communicating "wrong time warp."

err.. if the past john knows about it, the future one knows too.. so the past future cameron will have known too! :P

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Cameron's actions throughout the series shows that she's not just here to protect John. She has other agendas as well, we just don't know what they are yet. Plus, she's been helping Sarah with the bloody wall storyline. And, on that bloody wall was Stark's name right before the three dots.

Is Stark the governor that was going to get shot?

DesertBox on
    edited December 2008

I must have missed that Stark's name was on the wall. That makes more sense. Thanks.

Sometimes I watch this show really late at night and I miss things... :|

Double Deuce on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The name before the dots is something like "RE(?)NWAY".

Not Stark, and not the Mayor.

As for why Cameron would intervene, simple: Because Skynet is up to no good, and she wants to stop them.

Schrodinger on
  • ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Do we have a picture of the wall on the old thread? (I am too lazy to look through 99 pages.)

Shens on
  • UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I think John has feelings for Cameron, at least that's what I gathered from the first season and premier of the second. His assholosity is a way of hiding his attraction from everyone around him, probably even himself.

*nods* It's like when you have feelings for someone you know you shouldn't. He had to keep being unfriendly (at the least) to hold her at arms length. Hell, it might not even be attraction. He just might want to trust and confide in her but knows, y'know, sometimes they go bad.

Underdog on
    edited December 2008
    Underdog wrote: »

*nods* It's like when you have feelings for someone you know you shouldn't. He had to keep being unfriendly (at the least) to hold her at arms length. Hell, it might not even be attraction. He just might want to trust and confide in her but knows, y'know, sometimes they go bad.

I've been interpreting his assholishness more like the way you'd treat your little sister, than someone you're interested in. Am I the only one that sees it this way? I guess i just can't picture him hooking up with the hot robot.

Double Deuce on
    edited December 2008

I've been interpreting his assholishness more like the way you'd treat your little sister, than someone you're interested in. Am I the only one that sees it this way? I guess i just can't picture him hooking up with the hot robot.

Well the show is pretty blatant about building romantic interest, what with the "I love you!" and Cameron pulling off her jacket and riding into John's room, seemingly ready to roll (or at least, ready for a roll). But like I said, it could just be that John sees her as someone he wants to trust because she's so unerringly loyal to him and he knows she won't let him down. Except for that time when she went haywire and tried to kill him. And then there's also the reality that even if she doesn't ever turn again, any bonds built between them aren't real because i) she's a robot, any sympathy or kindness or emotion is merely a facsimile of the real thing (even if it's a really, really convincing one) and ii) as a robot, she could be turned against him by simple re-progamming. The last point is especially dangerous if they get chummy because if Cameron is re-programmed to kill John but the "memories" of the relationship are kept intact, it'd be that much easier for her to infiltrate and carry out the mission.

tl;dr John might not be interested in her, he just might see her as a good person to give him the support he needs. However, getting into the habit of treating her like a "real" person can cause a lot of trouble.

Underdog on
  • LizardLizard Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    But like I said, it could just be that John sees her as someone he wants to trust because she's so unerringly loyal to him and he knows she won't let him down. Except for that time when she went haywire and tried to kill him.

To be fair, she had a scratch on the surface of her brain. I think it would be unreasonable to be mad at a person if they punched you in the face during an epileptic seizure.

Lizard on
    edited December 2008
    But like I said, it could just be that John sees her as someone he wants to trust because she's so unerringly loyal to him and he knows she won't let him down. Except for that time when she went haywire and tried to kill him.

To be fair, she had a scratch on the surface of her brain. I think it would be unreasonable to be mad at a person if they punched you in the face during an epileptic seizure.

lol sure but it just sorta highlights the danger she can pose. It's not fear of that exact situation happening again, just if something similar happens.

Underdog on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2008
    Yeah I don't think Skynet had a lot of Terminators at it's disposal.

That, and the fact that the Terminators are infiltration units rather than straight-up walking weapon platforms. They have HKs and the huge tank things for Big Combat, as well as assorted other drones and stuff, I'd guess.

If I were Skynet I'd have the sky filled with the small drones from T3, sniping anything that moves. Less complex machinery than an exoskeleton unit, cheaper to produce.

I think the future scenes from the movies were more intended with "this looks cool!" in mind than "Skynet has a ton of Terminators".

Echo on
    edited December 2008
    It being about the danger she poses was the entire point.

Raynaga on
    edited December 2008
    One thing that annoyed me about the 1920 episode:
    How did the organic flesh of that termie keep fresh and crisp that long? It clearly grows back and is living tissue, doesn't it need nutrition? A termie with mummified strips of flesh for a face in a mobster outfit would have made for a cool image.

Echo on
    edited December 2008
    I would guess that the self-sustaining nature that makes it able to take bullets and heal the damage. If the organic parts worked on absolute natural rules, after the first few bullet holes you wouldn't have a working infiltrator for months, if indeed ever.

Raynaga on
    edited December 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    One thing that annoyed me about the 1920 episode:
    How did the organic flesh of that termie keep fresh and crisp that long? It clearly grows back and is living tissue, doesn't it need nutrition? A termie with mummified strips of flesh for a face in a mobster outfit would have made for a cool image.

i'm going to say nanotechnology and wave my hands really fast and you aren't going to think about it

awwwwhoooosh!

Pony on
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Terminators eat food. This has been true since the deleted scenes in T1.

Schrodinger on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Also his skin could've been in a state of suspended animation, or he could have carboloaded before he went to stand in the wall.

electricitylikesme on
    edited December 2008
    Terminators eat food. This has been true since the deleted scenes in T1.

The one where Ahnuld eats candy bars, wrappers and all?

Echo on