As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Chip Chip Cheerio and all that

18910111214»

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Blaket wrote: »
    ascot wrote: »
    Unless it has some direct influence over me, I wouldn't even bother. Like, maybe if it were that I had German grandparents and thus I have a lot of family there and we go there to visit all the time etc, then it doesn't really matter does it
    Yeah this is how I view it.

I mean my father was New Zealand but I don't really point it out when people ask me where I was from, I only really raise it when it comes to places I visit or talking about my relatives still in New Zealand.

Kiwi, huh? We don't serve your kind here!

swbartender.jpg

This is also the reason I don't raise my heritage, I am deeply ashamed of it.

Blake T on
  • laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I know a guy who always claims to be a New Zealander when he travels because the visa's are almost always cheaper.

He has dual citizenship, and he uses his US passport to get back into the states, but he only travels as an American when he has to.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wait, what?

American sources often pretend that negative aspects of other cultures are just misunderstood, and that any negative views on those aspects are just symptoms of Eurocentricism. Sometimes they are, sometimes other cultures have negative aspects. "...every other place can have pretty terrible problems..." Once you've met people from within that culture and gotten their perspective on the issue, it's easier to determine whether it's an actual issue or a problem of perspective.

Bridal kidnapping in Central Asia is one such issue. Most of the good, detailed, academic sources call it a Western rumor, and extinct custom exaggerated by modern foreigners, or a rare, not-even-anecdotal occurrence. People who live there tell it differently.

Sometimes there are false negative claims about a culture based on a foreigners' flawed perspective, but that's much more easily corrected. If you correct someone attempting to ignore or cover up a negative cultural trait, you're likely to be labeled as close-minded bigot an ignored.

You can't fix anything if you try to pretend nobody else has problems.
    Okay, thank you. I was just confused as to why you were going on about something so specific.

I agree with what you're saying, as I understand it. A problem is a problem, regardless of the culture, race or religion. To think otherwise and to go the lame, relativist "we can't judge others" way of thinking is as stupid as the way of thinking that most racists have. Neither world view is particularly accurate or productive.

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited December 2008
    Wait, what?

American sources often pretend that negative aspects of other cultures are just misunderstood, and that any negative views on those aspects are just symptoms of Eurocentricism. Sometimes they are, sometimes other cultures have negative aspects. "...every other place can have pretty terrible problems..." Once you've met people from within that culture and gotten their perspective on the issue, it's easier to determine whether it's an actual issue or a problem of perspective.

Bridal kidnapping in Central Asia is one such issue. Most of the good, detailed, academic sources call it a Western rumor, and extinct custom exaggerated by modern foreigners, or a rare, not-even-anecdotal occurrence. People who live there tell it differently.

Sometimes there are false negative claims about a culture based on a foreigners' flawed perspective, but that's much more easily corrected. If you correct someone attempting to ignore or cover up a negative cultural trait, you're likely to be labeled as close-minded bigot an ignored.

You can't fix anything if you try to pretend nobody else has problems.
    Okay, thank you. I was just confused as to why you were going on about something so specific.

I agree with what you're saying, as I understand it. A problem is a problem, regardless of the culture, race or religion. To think otherwise and to go the lame, relativist "we can't judge others" way of thinking is as stupid as the way of thinking that most racists have. Neither world view is particularly accurate or productive.

Sorry, it was intended as a case in point.

A bias is always a bias. Any individual couldn't function without certain biases, and even the unnecessary ones may provide some benefit, but they are all a liability when you can't acknowledge and abandon them when necessary.

Fuck relativism.

laughingfuzzball on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Unless it has some direct influence over me, I wouldn't even bother. Like, maybe if it were that I had German grandparents and thus I have a lot of family there and we go there to visit all the time etc, then it doesn't really matter does it

I mean my father was New Zealand but I don't really point it out when people ask me where I was from, I only really raise it when it comes to places I visit or talking about my relatives still in New Zealand.

Also there's barely any cultural differences between australia and new zealand, since we're both ex-british colonies that are still in the commonwealth and basically identified ourselves as british until about 40 years ago.

L|ama on
    edited December 2008
    L|ama wrote: »

Also there's barely any cultural differences between australia and new zealand, since we're both ex-british colonies that are still in the commonwealth and basically identified ourselves as british until about 40 years ago.

'allo Bruce
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f_p0CgPeyA

laughingfuzzball on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nuzak wrote: »
    you know what else kicks ass and is english

jonathan creek

YESSSS

Moriveth on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Moriveth wrote: »

jonathan creek

YESSSS

WOOOO CHRISTMAS SPECIAL

TOO BAD I WON'T BE ABLE TO WATCH IT WOOOOOO

Tam on
  • BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What, a christmas special?

That and doctor who in one day?

Fuck yes!

BoredGamer on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Tam wrote: »

jonathan creek

YESSSS

WOOOO CHRISTMAS SPECIAL

TOO BAD I WON'T BE ABLE TO WATCH IT WOOOOOO

fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck when and where Im away for christmas

doooo do dooo do dooo do doooo do dum dum de de dum dum dooooo

The_Scarab on
  • SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

jonathan creek

YESSSS

Alan Davies is pretty fucking awesome

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • bongibongi regular
    edited December 2008
    on QI more often than not he comes across as an annoying prat

bongi on
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    bongi wrote: »

This is not correct. Most people watch QI mainly for him so he muse be doing something right.
    His appearance on TV Heaven Telly Hell is also a notable AD moment.

Bad-Beat on
  • ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Bad-Beat wrote: »

This is not correct. Most people watch QI mainly for hi-.
    WRONG
    STEPHEN FRY

ascot on
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Bad-Beat wrote: »

This is not correct. Most people watch QI mainly for hi-.
    WRONG
    STEPHEN FRY

Stephen Fry can be seen in many different shows, Alan Davies on the other hand doesn't get out much so if you want to see AD you'll have to watch QI.

Bad-Beat on
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    stephen fry and alan davies make for an enjoyable comedy experience

FAQ on
  • ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Doesn't get out that much or doesn't get hired that much
    because of his horrible squashy face

ascot on
  • BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008