As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX 2071! (A Shadowrun Phalla) GAME OVER. Runners win!

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think it comes down to:

Phalla is as fun as you make it.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Pretty much. I took it wayyyyyy too seriously in a game or two, got all angry'n'stuff. Now it's more fun. Sure, you want to win, and I'll grudge the HELL out of someone, but it's a made up game where we play with ourselves on a message board.

Did that come out right?

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Also, I hate being mafia when Spectre is on my team... we're doomed if DA or Infidel or anyone else is in the game.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »

Hard to create fun being dead first day. Moreover, is incredibly hard to want to bother to host anymore when people openly admit to assholish maneuvers, but I digress.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
    edited December 2008
    EvilBadman wrote: »

Hard to create fun being dead first day. Moreover, is incredibly hard to want to bother to host anymore when people openly admit to assholish maneuvers, but I digress.
    Assholish maneuvers?

I still disagree that pregame alliances are assholish/lame.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited December 2008
    You sir have never played a game of Risk where two players will not attack each other based on pregame truces.

EvilBadman on
    edited December 2008
    The games are a tad different.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Not really if person A and person B rolled onto opposing teams. Also, in Phalla the town is a clueless free-for-all unless proven otherwise.

EvilBadman on
    edited December 2008
    Pregame alliances have never created a huge impact on any game I've played.

If you have a problem with it, make sure to add a rule to your OP specifically forbidding it.

Also, if you didn't notice that while Krata and Ahava had an alliance, they both lied to eachother. Ahava said she'd guard a bug when she was guarding Gumpy/Drez and Krata lied to her about his alliance.

It just adds another subterfuge factor.

In the end, one of them would have ratted they other out if they truly suspected the other of being evil. The only game I worked with an evil guy when I was good was during the Disgaea phalla and we almost got him converted.

Note that he didn't tell us about his teammates and we ended up killing him halfway through the game.

(<3 Infidel, I still think we would've been able to convert you had Zot not jumped the gun)

He even knew the name of a good special and didn't rat that out to his team.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I really don't think this is getting us anywhere, guys.

EBM, if you don't like phalla, you don't have to play, honestly. People die day 1, and that's just the way it is. People form pregame alliances- you don't have to if you don't want to, but whatever. In this case, the pregame alliance you got so pissed off about ended up with a day 1 guard, maybe? I saw a page or two ago that Ahava then guarded other people afterwards, so it ended up having zero impact on the game. Also people grudging you had zero impact on anything, as someone random just decided you were acting suspicious.

I would chastise you for the Krata incident in the main phalla thread, which may have had an impact on the game, but I won't. I'd rather just see it all drop and talk about other stuff.

I agree with Spectre that the bugs could definitely have used a reliable kill- though I'd have liked to see what would have been upcoming if Maximus had survived. More conversions? Finally reliable kills?

El Skid on
    edited December 2008

That typically happens once, maybe twice if it was a really good act of viciousness you pulled in a previous game. It's not often people will repeatly Day one you.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Gumpy wrote: »
    You'd be surprised at how much the vets don't just PM each other each game.

It really isn't super widespread

I hardly ever talk to anyone in PM. It's too easy to send someone the wrong message and make yourself look bad even if you're totally innocent. So I don't like it. Which is why I push for open communication in the thread whenever possible. I know, I know, some things shouldn't and can't be discussed openly, but I think the gain of people talking openly is outweighed by a bunch of whispering.

I also find village networks very, very difficult to maintain and motivate.

I prefer being a maverick. I have to admit I liked how I was able to assist without dealing with a network proboard or anything. Anyway, good job on the game Gumpy.

EBM: I like ya. And I agree with you 100% on grudges - they are fucking stupid. And I also understand that it's annoying to be murdered day one when you just come back to Phalla, and after hosting a huge phalla. It's happened to me too, though. Not post-hosting, I think, but day one stuff when I hadn't played for awhile.

Gumpy: He sold out a teammate in the signup thread? I saw his posts there but uh...what? Did I miss something?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited December 2008
    Just because it didn't have an impact this game doesn't nullify the potential it had. Let's say Hava held up their end and continually blocked the Thrall's death. The Thrall is blocking the Shaman's death so the insects have an impenetrable position. They win and it breaks out that it all centered around a pregame deal, that wouldn't leave a bad taste in your mouth?

Also, the game is hard to enjoy and play when you're ceremoniously killed at game start.

EvilBadman on
    edited December 2008
    I'm going to Vig a few selected people D1 when I get the chance. Grudge kills are fun. (You're not on that list, if it matters).

Grudge kills are the dumbest shit on the fucking forum.

Drez on
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    Gumpy: He sold out a teammate in the signup thread? I saw his posts there but uh...what? Did I miss something?

He went on an angry rant about how there was a pregame alliance between krata and Lonely . No such talk had happened in the thread. So either two things had happaned

Either

Krata/Lonely had sent him a PM out of the blue going "Yo dawg, I be safe with my pre-game homie, just thought you'd like to know the buzz so you can appreciate we are gangsta"

Or

He was on a proboard with one of them, where such deals would be brought to light.

So one of them had to be insect. Or gangta.

Gumpy on
    edited December 2008
    I'm going to Vig a few selected people D1 when I get the chance. Grudge kills are fun. (You're not on that list, if it matters).

Grudge kills are the dumbest shit on the fucking forum.
    I'm so grudge killing you for saying that.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Just because it didn't have an impact this game doesn't nullify the potential it had. Let's say Hava held up their end and continually blocked the Thrall's death. The Thrall is blocking the Shaman's death so the insects have an impenetrable position. They win and it breaks out that it all centered around a pregame deal, that wouldn't leave a bad taste in your mouth?

Also, the game is hard to enjoy and play when you're ceremoniously killed at game start.
    The folks in charge saw what was going on.

They would have made it so we weren't impossible to kill.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited December 2008
    I don't really mind pre-game alliances. I don't know any situation where it has trumped loyalty to one's faction.

Grudges though are just...ugh. Consider me the anti-grudge. I'll happily bandwagon or vig people professing to "just grudge voting!" especially if it's beyond day one. Okay, so you want to be funny and "grudge" someone on day one. Whatever. I think it's retarded, but whatever. But then you have people trying to grudge for days and days afterward. Sorry but that's fucking retarded and you should be ashamed if that's your playstyle. And if you're a vigilante, using your power to grudge someone is bullshit.

Also, what the fuck is up with people signing up for a phalla and then just not posting? If you're not going to play, just don't sign up. And if you are going to play, how about you actually play, which in a phalla means "communicate."

Those are the two things I find most annoying in phalla: This culture of "grudging" and the fact that people sign up and LITERALLY FORGET TO POST FOR DAYS. When I'm inactive it's because I have no choice. I cannot comprehend how you can forget that you're alive in a phalla.

Inactivity REALLY hurts the village, guys. I know I've been guilty of it too and I feel guilty about it when I can't get around to posting. But you have to understand, the suspect list includes, by nature, inactive and low-active people. And without posts to go on, it's hard to discern good from bad. That's why a lot of bad guys try to stay low in activity. And my point about grudging is why some bad guys just say "Grudging Maximus!" for four or five days running.

Drez on
    edited December 2008
    I forget I'm alive in some phallas in D+D

I just have a hard time remembering that D+D exists, and am somewhat shocked whenever I realize it does

Gumpy on
    edited December 2008
    Anyway, I've said my piece. And I apologize for anyone I was an ass to. Even you, B:L. (Which should show you I don't grudge people as a vig or B:L would have possibly been dead Day One and definitely Day Two [which I should have probably done - sorry NATIK].) We won, I'm happy, let's hold hands and sing kumbayah.

Drez on
    edited December 2008
    Anyway, I've said my piece. And I apologize for anyone I was an ass to. Even you, B:L. (Which should show you I don't grudge people as a vig or B:L would have possibly been dead Day One and definitely Day Two [which I should have probably done - sorry NATIK].) We won, I'm happy, let's hold hands and sing kumbayah.
    You're freaking me out a bit.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited December 2008
    You're freaking me out a bit.

I just want to touch you.

Just to feel something again.

Drez on
    edited December 2008
    Drez'd grudge killed me for working him over in the Alt Phalla anyways. Even if he did outsmart FWD and I.

EvilBadman on
    edited December 2008
    Drez'd grudge killed me for working him over in the Alt Phalla anyways. Even if he did outsmart FWD and I.
    I wouldn't admit to being outsmarted by Drez.

I would claim constant drunkeness or something.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited December 2008

I did? I grudged you?

I still thought the alt phalla was brilliant.

Drez on
  • warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Heh, give or take I would totally defend an neutural in game just to see you explode again.

Edit: i knew you where mostly playing in flavior. The only question was at which point it was starting to disturb others. I accually got a pm from another player wondering if your behavior was real or not.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
    edited December 2008
    I hope everyone has learned why neutral witch hunts are not fantastic ideas

Gumpy on
    edited December 2008
    warban wrote: »

Heh, give or take I would totally defend an neutural in game just to see you explode again.

Edit: i knew you where mostly playing in flavior. The only question was at which point it was starting to disturb others. I accually got a pm from another player wondering if your behavior was real or not.

To be fair, I don't even know if my behavior is real or not. I've assumed this assholish persona in phalla for too long. If I don't act this way, people suspect me.

Drez on
    edited December 2008

I prefer chaotic evil witch hunts instead.

Drez on
    edited December 2008

I did? I grudged you?

I still thought the alt phalla was brilliant.

That should have read, Drez'd [would have] grudged me for Alt Phalla, due to my in-game backstabbing [if he were one to grudge kill].

Edit: 9 D&D Alignment Phalla is GOOOOOOO

EvilBadman on
    edited December 2008
    I believe they are and will always hunt witches.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    edited December 2008

Took what, only 2 games after the vampire phalla. :P

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
    edited December 2008

I prefer chaotic evil witch hunts instead.

I prefer Chaotic Stupid posting myself.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thanks are in order for taking out Elendil.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2008
    Heh, you got off easy.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Heh, you got off easy.
    He sure did. We were a two person faction who had a chance of having our kill reveal us. Oats had the option to kill me as a cover.

Gee, thanks.

Elendil on
    edited December 2008
    Elendil wrote: »
    Heh, you got off easy.
    He sure did. We were a two person faction who had a chance of having our kill reveal us. Oats had the option to kill me as a cover.

Gee, thanks.
    That was hilarious.

I only wish it had come to that.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I pretty much hard a heart attack when the first night when I was right. I thought that yeah maybe i'd hit a special of some sort but the special that I needed? Fucking nuts.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    FreeAgent wrote: »
    FreeAgent wrote: »
    Also, I can't unlock the boards, but here are the headquarters of Lonestar.

Username - freeagent
    Password - phalla
    Ahah, Locus wanted me jailed on day 1?

That would've been no fun.

I was really surprised when I showed up that night. I hadn't been able to get on the boards, since Wildcat wasn't around to activate. So Locus and I are talking about the night's targets, and all of a sudden we were targeting a bunch of vets.

I felt bad for Ardor. I mentioned that if all the high profile names just died off, the ones that ended up remaining would probably draw some heat, but when only one died, it seemed fine.

It's not because you were against the neutral (which is fine, I agree with that stance completely), it's the manner in which you went about it. All in the wording.
    The first night really was a mess for us.

And I always try to kill you, TehSpectre. You can't tell because it never actually happens, but I always try.

Good game everyone. Wish we had been more organized. Maybe we could have made it a bit closer.

Locus on
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Elendil wrote: »
    Heh, you got off easy.

Gee, thanks.
    That was hilarious.

I only wish it had come to that.

Yeah, sorry too busy dying day 1.

As soon as Elendil and I got our PMs we messaged each other with "So how fucked are we?"

Fun roles, I only wish I'd had a chance to run with it. We had zero chance to win though.

Oats on