As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Beta On] A Tale in the Desert IV: Bricks and Boards

Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my worldRound Rock, TXRegistered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
(Didn't see an existing thread on this)

Home$FullLogoNumber2.jpg

So, open beta starts tomorrow, Dec 6th, and goes for, I believe, the next week. The previous betas have been pretty popular around here. Any interest on getting a group together for the next one?

For those that don't know, A Tale in the Desert is an MMO set in ancient Egypt that focuses solely on crafting. There is no combat whatsoever (though there are player vs player challenges). The point of the game is to form settlements and to work together to forward technology and make society better for all.

(Ripped from Wikipedia)
Wikipedia! wrote:
A Tale in the Desert is rare among MMORPGs in that it lacks combat. Instead, a variety of social activities provide for the basis of most interaction in the game. Soloing players may choose to focus on a wide range of options, both personal and regional; however, most players choose a more social outlook, and participate in politics, research, and social advancement. To support this, the game's main focuses are building, community, research, and personal or group challenges, called 'Tests'.

ATitD also has a unique outlook in that the game itself has a global foregame, midgame, and endgame: on average so far, every year and a half the game ends, achievements are tabulated, and a new 'Telling' begins, with certain modifications requested by the player base. Within a Telling, players can write, introduce, and pass laws (including player bans), and make feature requests. Compared to other online games, many have noted a closer to equal ratio of male to female players, and a high level of civility and generosity, potentially as a result of the difference in focus.

Screenies! These are some random shots showing off the improved graphics engine.
39847.jpg

39843.jpg

39842.jpg

39840.jpg

39835.jpg

You can find more screenshots at http://atitd.mondespersistants.com/?rubrique=98

Beta is now open until December 13th. Grab the client here: http://www.atitd.com/download.html There are Windows, Mac, and Linux versions.

After you install, select the Tale in the Desert 4 Beta server from the list, then connect and create your character. We're currently operating around Upper Egypt.

We're congregating around 1678, 3996. F3 opens your map, coordinates are at the top. We're right next to a University of Architecture.

Sir Carcass on

• vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I beta tested the first and third ATITD I'd be interested in doing a group. The beginning of civilization is the most fun in ATITD anyway. Later the only goals are completing stupid tests and that doesn't really interest me. However, the starting point is fun for me.

vhzod on
  • JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh god I sunk so much time into the first one... I don't know if I am up for that kind of commitment anymore.

Jigrah on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I was in the second and third. Yeah, I agree, the beginning is the best part.

I plan to play this some at least this weekend.

Sir Carcass on
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Can't wait to see what these games are like at the beginning.

All I know are the "stupid tests".

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My memory fails me, but weren't we around here most of the time:

atitdloc.jpg

Sir Carcass on
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    What exactly is this, and how were the last 3? I am intrigued by the site. En francais, non plus.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2008
    The official site is http://www.atitd.com. I guess I should have included that. OP is updated (click on the picture).

Sir Carcass on
    edited December 2008
    Oh man, much easier to read. My French is pretty rusty. Thanks.

Edit: that only has ATITD 3?

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've played the first for a bit, count me in for a PA settlement.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
    edited December 2008
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Edit: that only has ATITD 3?

The game is still in beta silly. :P

Sir Carcass on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    I played tale 2, didn't like the challenges he removed/replaced in the later versions. Maybe I'll give this a try, though.

And don't start in the nile delta, that's lame and predictable. Nubia is so much cooler.

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Any word on what's new in Tale 4? I played the beta of 2 and was in the first 2 months or so of the actual game (to the extent you can call ATITD a game).

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited December 2008
    Hey, I'm open to starting wherever.

I dug around the site and forums looking for details on new features, but couldn't find much. I think some mechanics have changed, like digging and mining, and I think he's added more plants.

Sir Carcass on
  • matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oh lord.

I don't have time for this, but I started midgameish for ATitD 2 and it consumed me. My sole purpose in life was to create charcoal.

Starting from the beginning, when my little facility isn't the tiniest thing in the world compared to everyone else's gigantic factories...

This may kill me if I start it up.

matthias00 on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2008
    Is it still pay to play? I tried it, had kinda fun, but not 15 bucks/month amounts of fun.

Echo on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    the odl game is pay to play from what i can see, so is there a site to download the beta client ?

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

edited December 2008
    It's free for 24 hours of in game time, $13.95 a month after that.

I believe you just download the normal client and connect to the beta server. Once I find out for sure I'll update the OP.

Sir Carcass on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So whats the plan? Im ready for some crafting!

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    edited December 2008
    What region are we starting in?
    I don't see anything about this beta.

vhzod on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I downloaded the regular client and theres an option to log into the beta server, but it still says its private.

webguy20 on
  • SgtSpikeSgtSpike Registered User new member
    edited December 2008
    I downloaded the client and only get the option to log into the alpha server...

SgtSpike on
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have to work tonight, but I'll probably be logging in when I get home around midnight. I never played the others so you may have some 'splaining to do.

edit: I guess I should ask this before I get too excited. Is the entire game in French?

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
    edited December 2008
    You can select which downloader to use, french english or german I believe. The Alpha server is the server for ATITD4.

webguy20 on
    edited December 2008
    webguy20 wrote: »
    You can select which downloader to use, french english or german I believe. The Alpha server is the server for ATITD4.
    I thought there was a beta coming out for 4 today though?

SgtSpike on
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Holy shit, there is a Mac OS X client? You can count me in, then! I am downloading the client, now, and should be playing later this evening.

How do I join the group?

gilrain on
    edited December 2008
    Looks like the beta starts at 2pm Eastern time, so.. NOW!

Downloading the client. Will post instructions when I figure it out.

Sir Carcass on
    edited December 2008
    SgtSpike wrote: »
    I thought there was a beta coming out for 4 today though?

Its actually switched itself over to beta in the description, from alpha. its still set for private though. I have no idea when the switch will be flipped!

webguy20 on
    edited December 2008
    wooo logging in!

edit: patchign a lot of files. Not all my textures have loaded. fun stuff. looks like we can all teleport to the same location in game if we want for free though, so thats nice. Anybody whos played recently who knowss of a good starting spot, it would help.

webguy20 on
    edited December 2008
    Client can be found here: http://www.atitd.com/download.html. There's Windows, Mac, and Linux versions.

Install it and one of the server options is ATitD4 Beta.

I've got some crap to take care of, but I should be on in a little while.

Sir Carcass on
    edited December 2008
    Think I found a good starting location in upper egypt east. It has sand, mud, clay, silt, grass, trees, mud. Its also right between two little lakes and is right near a starting location and a road. From what I remember we have most of what we need to get started without having to run around to find it.

Edit: there is also a school of architecture near by which will help in becoming a citizen

webguy20 on
    edited December 2008
    wooo logging in!

edit: patchign a lot of files. Not all my textures have loaded. fun stuff. looks like we can all teleport to the same location in game if we want for free though, so thats nice. Anybody whos played recently who knowss of a good starting spot, it would help.

I'm on the welcome island... do you have to start out with that, or is there some way to skip it?

SgtSpike on
    edited December 2008
    wooo logging in!

I'm on the welcome island... do you have to start out with that, or is there some way to skip it?
    Never mind, figured it out. For some reason, selecting the full screen engine caused me to go back to III.

SgtSpike on
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    wooo logging in!

Never mind, figured it out. For some reason, selecting the full screen engine caused me to go back to III.

Man, and I thought losing exp was bad, this game sends you to the prequel?

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
    edited December 2008
    LOL

webguy20 on
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So what kind of project can we expect to accomplish before the beta is over?

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
    edited December 2008
    I'm in as Tutancarcass.

Edit: In a week, not much of nothing, we'd have a little time when it goes live before we had to start paying. Dec 13th is the live date.

Sir Carcass on
    edited December 2008
    Am get will let you know when patching is done
    edit: in as ChaosMage I wonder if they'll remember me

vhzod on
    edited December 2008
    Meh. Not interested in pay-to-play games. That's a shame; they had me for a few minutes.

psyck0 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2008
    let the crafting begin!

webguy20 on
    edited December 2008
    Oh man I'm getting sucked back in

Sir Carcass on