As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX 2071! (A Shadowrun Phalla) GAME OVER. Runners win!

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Also, good fuck I've wanted to post in this thread for a long time now.

Oats on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oats wrote: »
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    Thanks are in order for taking out Elendil.
    Heh, you got off easy.
    He sure did. We were a two person faction who had a chance of having our kill reveal us. Oats had the option to kill me as a cover.

Gee, thanks.
    That was hilarious.

I only wish it had come to that.

Yeah, sorry too busy dying day 1.

As soon as Elendil and I got our PMs we messaged each other with "So how fucked are we?"

Fun roles, I only wish I'd had a chance to run with it. We had zero chance to win though.
    Nothing is impossible.

You just need to sell yourself.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Oats wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    Thanks are in order for taking out Elendil.
    Heh, you got off easy.
    He sure did. We were a two person faction who had a chance of having our kill reveal us. Oats had the option to kill me as a cover.

Gee, thanks.
    That was hilarious.

I only wish it had come to that.

Yeah, sorry too busy dying day 1.

As soon as Elendil and I got our PMs we messaged each other with "So how fucked are we?"

Fun roles, I only wish I'd had a chance to run with it. We had zero chance to win though.
    Nothing is impossible.

You just need to sell yourself.

Just have to make it to day 8 without being seered or vigged.

Right.

Granted it was nonzero, but very very low.

Oats on
  • Options
    DoxaDoxa Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    HAY GUYS.

NOT TO SQUIRT MY ASSHOLE IN YOUR FACE BUT
    The Shadowrunners! (or runners for short). You and your fellow runners perform a vital service to society. Balancing the power of the corporations through various acts of sabotage and murder under temporary employ by other corporations. These acts are commonly referred to as 'runs'. A notoriously fickle lot, no runner is crazy or stupid enough to die for a corporation(at least not on purpose) and if a better opportunity presents itself, it is snatched immediately. Known by their employers as deniable assets, the very existence of runners is refuted outright by the major corporations. Your objective is to survive this heatwave(cranking up of Lonestar activity). As well as any other threats which might present themselves. Remember, trust no-one.

You are...
    A mage! While shamans get their abilities from some silly little spirit, you EARNED yours through constant study and research. Although you don't have the guidance of a spirit totem, you more than make up for it in killing power. If targeted by an attack action, you kill the sonovabitch. However, the physical and mental drain of the combat will probably kill you anyway.

I sat there day one, silent, thinking "oh shit oh shit. If I tell people they're say 'lawl, nice try evil dude...evil'" while on the other hand if someone decides to vig me for some reason we both die and shit hits the fan. I revealed my ability and thought about trying to get in to networks but realized that everyone was already suspicious of me so I decided in order to not get voted off to stay to myself so people don't have another reason to get on top of me.

CodograzaWard PMed me the thing about Maximus so I just shrugged my shoulders and posted it in the thread. I don't know why he pmed me with Gumpy around. Apparently he pmed Gumpy AND Me, who posted like 30 minutes later, which was stupid, but its his first time so I let it go.

I would have loved for someone to attack me and blow their face up. If I died by vote I would have been so pissed.

edit: also... props to Gumpy for keeping that bandwagon on Maximus and owning this game, and Drez for running that final stretch

Doxa on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Oats wrote:
    Just have to make it to day 8 without being seered or vigged.

Right.

Granted it was nonzero, but very very low.
    Most of the seers in the game weren't perfect seers which you could argue your way out of.

Not to mention trying to get into the good network by claiming a vig or somesuch.

There are limitless possibilities.

Never give up!

Edit: Doxa is a butt.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Oh, I was definitely going to give it the old college try, until I got shanked on day 1.

Day 2 or 3 we were going to out ourselves and seek protection.

Oats on
  • Options
    MaximusMaximus Engineer of the Harbinger Engine RoomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    An Insect Shaman! While 'normal' Shamans communicate with independent and free spirited creatures, you know better. Free will is an illusion, and through it's forfeiture comes a strength and power beyond reckoning. Your totem in an insect, tying you to the hivemind of all insects and other bugs. Your mission is to give the gift of the hivemind to as many of these weak-minded fools as possible. Each night you may infect another player and see what they see. They will be unaware of this, until of course it is too late. Sadly, the process of infestation is rather taxing on the target, and has a chance of killing them instead. The visions you receive from your targets are complicated though, as you have not yet fully acclimated to the will of the hivemind.

I got once a night ablilites once in a while. One was either convert a person you infested or make that person into a suicide bomber. Doxa's Seer saw me try to infect Inquistor. Who were they by the way? The last night I had to infections with a higher fatality rate. I don't know if they took or not cause we had Frosteey and VThorn. I so wanted to use the suicide bomber on Gumpy but was talked out of it by Skid.

I want Mr. Johnson to explain the visions cause other than the first being Rend was a Shaman, I didn't understand them at all.

Maximus on
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thanks for running the game Zellpher. It was interesting being a true neutral.

Ardor on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Speaking of pregame alliances, a bunch of the elves got together before the game started (mostly before pms were even sent) and decided to try to avoid killing each other until everyone else was gone. This worked out much better than expected, mainly because NO evil factions were on the board. How the heck did that happen?

http://trueneverborn.proboards100.com/index.cgi

darian / 123456

Also, all the incapacitations in the narrations? That was me and my gang (Izuvan, Grundlterror). To warban: I fail at reading. Izuvan and I got together using the keyword "gang" in our posts; I missed your and Grundl's more subtle attempts to network. Because of the way our power worked, we were able to self-mason once we got in touch. So once one of us was seered into the network, we were all able to join.
    The Shadowrunners! (or runners for short). You and your fellow runners perform a vital service to society. Balancing the power of the corporations through various acts of sabotage and murder under temporary employ by other corporations. These acts are commonly referred to as 'runs'. A notoriously fickle lot, no runner is crazy or stupid enough to die for a corporation(at least not on purpose) and if a better opportunity presents itself, it is snatched immediately. Known by their employers as deniable assets, the very existence of runners is refuted outright by the major corporations. Your objective is to survive this heatwave(cranking up of Lonestar activity). As well as any other threats which might present themselves. Remember, trust no-one.

A Sprawl Ganger! Raised in the barrens, where the only way to survive is to join a gang, you excelled at your profession. Rising quickly to the top through a string of low-end robberies and drug deals you are master of your domain. Albeit your domain is the most lawless run down streak of shit located on the western seaboard. If you and another Ganger PM me with each others identity, you may collectively "jump" another player. This ability will incapacitate that target for 1 day.

Darian on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Another mage here that didn't get to take anyone with him. :| At least not to my knowledge.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    You were jailed, not killed. Apparently it made a difference.

Darian on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    So I guess I worried a lot for nothing. I was PMing like made from my Kindle today. I thought I was going to get fired.

DA: The big question, were you fucking with me? Ahava says she also guarded me. Were you a convert or did you play me for a bitch all game?

Nope, I was straight up with you until I was converted. Even after I was converted I don't think I actually lied to you.
    Constructive criticism: The bugs should have gotten a reliable kill from day 1.

I'm still looking into the powers but the bad guys felt pretty fucked all around. I'm curious if bad guy kills outnumered seering/action seers. If they didn't the good guys were nearly guaranteed a win.
    Jobastion wrote: »
    Also saw DA driving around... but... huh? huh? Had no idea what that power was.

Guard against jailed, remember the Toyota in narration? Totally me.
    FreeAgent wrote: »
    I want to be clear. I was so irritated that I kept targeting insects with the Lonestar jail. Spectre, DA, El Skid. It was like I couldn't miss them. If only I hadn't thought DA was part of the network, I wouldn't have Black IC'ed (it was real Drez, but also one of our powers) Gumpy.

.....YOU! Jerk. Still took you two damn tries and help from some kung-fu loser!
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    Worst seering ever, like not helpful for squat :P

You're silly or clueless.
    Frosteey wrote: »
    Someone explain DevoutlyApathetic and Doxa.

I don't see any actual conversion abilities anywhere, and I still have no idea how or why Doxa was the quickest on the Maximus bandwagon.

From what I remember as my brief stay on the bug boards the shaman could "infest" people, "infested" people could then explode killing them and somebody else. On like day 4 they got the option to instead convert an infested person.

Bug board, use vroomvroom with password notpass

Zellpher, fun game despite it's flaws.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ah Crap, Gumpy's flip-flopping!

:3

Gumpy on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    123456? That's the kind of password an idiot would have on his luggage.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yes, well I changed it before posting it in public.

I know, that's not as funny.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I love how the bad guys were going

"okay, we may be able to blame this on Doxa and make him look suspicious"

a few times during the duration of the game

Doxa on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My role PM:
    You are..
    A Drone Rigger! Some people are dog people, some are cat people. Your pets are far cooler. With a veritable army of bugs, walkers, spy cams and other drones you are a wealth of information. And if things get out of hand, you can use your control rig to directly interface with your drones, effectively seeing what they see, and feeling what they feel. You start the game with 3 drones, which you can use to effectively "seer" someone, revealing their alignment and role. Unfortunately with so much awareness comes paranoia, and you will terminate your drones upon using them

I think first night I seered Ardor, but he died, then Gumpy, then Doxa but something blocked my seering (which is where most of the Doxa suspicion came from, I think), then Darian, then Krata. And then I was out of drones and died, I think.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I was a mage like Doxa, and I didn't really know what I could do. I ended up telling Gumpy, but I wish I hadn't told anyone, because then if I did get geeked, I would have at least have had some vengeance.

Hey Zell, if the insects tried to infest me, would I have killed them, or had a chance to kill them? Just curious.

piL on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Doxa wrote: »

Half the job of a village aligned player is to not be suspicious so that can't be done to you.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That was a great game!

Your ability was epic, Gumpy =) When you messaged me day 2, I wasn't sure if that meant I was going to be dead or that I was with you guys. Since I never saw a ProBoard open up, I pretty much spent the whole game wondering if we were being conned... but we kept killing bad guys, so I couldn't really complain. =) lol

Fun times! =)

Also, I deleted my role as well accidentally, about halfway through... I ran out of message space, and just deleted everything I had from the week... not realizing one of them was my role! D'oh. =(

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Doxa wrote: »

Half the job of a village aligned player is to not be suspicious so that can't be done to you.

the problem was that keeping my role a secret could have also proven extremely detrimental to the village at one point. Its really a Catch22. The mage role was a bad situation from the start. I did what I thought would be the most beneficial to the village, which probably would have been better if I revealed right after the bandwagon got going the first day.

@Inquis: Yeah, I guess under those circumstances it would have pointed towards me being even more suspicious. I guess I don't blame you guys much.

Doxa on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    From what I remember as my brief stay on the bug boards the shaman could "infest" people, "infested" people could then explode killing them and somebody else. On like day 4 they got the option to instead convert an infested person.

I wish our power was that good :(

Every day the shaman (only) could infect someone, which had a not-revealed chance of killing people. On ONE day we had the choice of converting or suicide bombing one of the infected people.

On the last day Maximus lived, I think we were permanently boosted to 2 infections with much higher chances of death... So we probably had more power coming if Maximus could only have stayed away from action seers for longer. It's a shame the village didn't try to vig Maximus instead of publically voting him out... we were actually able to handle the vigging thing okay.

El Skid on
  • Options
    Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That was fun. I got to be in two networks. The one thing I'm wondering though is who killed me?

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That was fun. I got to be in two networks. The one thing I'm wondering though is who killed me?

The_Reflection

And it was my fault. I had some minor suspicion of you and threw your name his way.

I floated your name to Gumpy first after he suggested Wildcat to me. I attacked Wildcat but I asked T_R to kill you and he did.

Sorry about that. I guess Gumpy did not wholly trust me at that point because he did not give me any indication that you would be a BAD target. The language he used made it sound like he didn't think about you any which way.

I was a pretty awful vig, all told.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That was a good deal of fun, thanks to everyone involved!

And yeah, I'll add my agreement to the bugs being underpowered. The fact that almost all of our powers (except the very last night we were active) had to go through Maximus meant we were hosed once he was gone. And as stated already, we could save him from being killed, but not voted (and perhaps not jailed either). Not having a reliable kill or a slightly more frequent conversion power made life hard for us.

Not to mention that me and TehSpectre had no powers at all aside from being masoned with all the bugs.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The bugs seem underpowered to me, but then again they were filling in as a secondary threat. Reading through the Lonestar forum, they seemed appropriately powerful to me; three (conditional) roll blocks, including one that will work on each player in the game. Three kill abilities, two conditional, one that gives a phone call (10 word post after jailing was a nice touch). They seemed to be confused about how the seers worked, though; posts about "watching Drez" when no one but Gumpy could see the people that target a given person. All the action seers were for the person that you are targeting.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    No there were a couple of seers who could see everyone who targeted a person

was how we got Dagon :3

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Huh... I completely missed that. Was that your ability, then? And which role was that?

Darian on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    That was exarch's ability I believe

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Wait, where was the Lonestar forum linked?

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I found it. Awesome.

FA, you were slick. We were killing you yesterday no matter what you said, but I wanted to see what you had to say.

Drez on
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Gumpy wrote: »
    That was exarch's ability I believe

I had the same ability too, but alas the only thing I hit with it were either good guys or insects (TehSpectre day 1, and DA but he probably wasn't converted at that time. Plus being loosely networked hurted a bit too.

Funnily enough, I contacted Gumpy on Day 3, then stopped after I saw he was neutral. Paranoia, ho! :|

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Really quick, since I was asleep during the big EMB discussion. I figured I should weigh in since I was his killer.

On day One I contacted VT cause me and him worked really well together in the Red Dragon Phalla, so I figured he would be a good team mate again. I asked him if he had any day one kill ideas. He suggested thetheroo because hes usually evil, but I didnt wanna do that because he seems to get killed or voted out on day 1 ALOT. I didnt wanna be that guy.

So I went onto trueneverborn's Elf boards, and they were talking about killing all the orcs and trolls. I guess it was some elf thing. I thought that was an actual game mechanic, since I really know nothing about Shadowrun. Also I never revealed to them because i never really trusted Trueneverborn, even when gumpy said he was ok. Sorry, you were just a little pushy.

I perused the player list looking at all the orc and troll players, and Basically just picked EvilBadMan on a total random hunch. Didn't use an RNG, and didnt have any grudges. As far as I know I have never played in a game with him that I can remember and have';t been screwed over by him in a game.

Also, let me add, Ive only been playing phallas for a few months, since around July or August, I think, so i'm not really in the super phalla veteran's clique, so there was nothing there to make me hate kill EMB.

Your death was a random hunch kill on day one, that exposed the bugs and let us know they were around. It sucks to be kicked out on day one, I know becuse I too have felt it, but I was just playing the game. Its seriously nothing personal. Ive never really had lasting grudges. Ive only really been "mad" at two people. Once at Ryadic and once at WeatheredClown, but those "grudges" only lasted for a game or two"

EBM, I have nothing personal against you. I have nothing personal against anyone who plays here. Its the exact opposite. I pretty much like everyone here alot, that's why I keep playing.

Take that as you will, leave or stay, Just don't think there is a massive conspiracy of people who dont like you, looking to screw you over at every turn.

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    IzuvanIzuvan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My thanks to Darian for contacting me about my post, and being the lifeline to ganger activity. I probably would have died sooner rather than later if I had to find a network to contact.

In honest, the post sending you to me with the word "gang" on it was by accident, I was thinking about how to post my role discreetly but thought using that word would be to obvious and decided against it. Must have unconsciously added it either way.

I'd like to know who and/or why I was killed, was it because I started talking a lot out of the blue about the amount of dead and what was left?

Izuvan on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm going to Vig a few selected people D1 when I get the chance. Grudge kills are fun. (You're not on that list, if it matters).

Grudge kills are the dumbest shit on the fucking forum.

People who cry about grudge kills are the dumbest people in the forum.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm going to Vig a few selected people D1 when I get the chance. Grudge kills are fun. (You're not on that list, if it matters).

No, grudge kills are the dumbest thing on this forum, bar absolutely nothing. Each game is a separate entity from every other game. Grudge voting and especially grudge kills are so unbelievably obnoxious.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I think we need more ALPHALLA.

I do agree with Drez on the grudge thing.

Oats on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I really enjoyed AL PHALLA myself.

Drez on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

No, grudge kills are the dumbest thing on this forum, bar absolutely nothing. Each game is a separate entity from every other game. Grudge voting and especially grudge kills are so unbelievably obnoxious.

Yea each game is seperate, blah blah. No one EVER metagames previous games or ANYTHING.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Grudge kills seem to be the ONLY way to even begin getting the game running when you don't have any info.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.