As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Racing Games

2»

• Options
    Milky28Milky28 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    citizen059 wrote: »
    I continue to be amazed by the quality of rFactor mods that come out. If you like a lot of different types of racing, rFactor is the best value for your money right now on the PC.

Case in point: Just released a few days ago, the 2008 Indycar Series for rFactor, which I do believe I shall be downloading tonight.

F1 2006 CTDP just came out as well, and it is amazing as expected by CTDP.

Milky28 on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Milky28 XBL: Milky28
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I agree, the F1 '06 mod looks incredible.

I put some laps in at Indy and at Laguna Seca in the '08 Indycar mod last night. It was great, I really miss the days of ICR/ICR2 from Papy. ICR was my very first racing sim, so lots of good memories there.

And there's just something special about going around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in a Penske. I can't put my finger on it.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dìrhael wrote: »
    rFactor. Everyone with a PC and a interest in racing games should play rFactor. You should then download and race this Nordschleife track over and over and over and over again, because this is what real men and women do.
    How does this compare to the GTR Evolution version? I am playing that track over and over again, but it can be frustrating when you goof up after 5 minutes on course! :)

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I wish I could answer that; I haven't run the old Nord track in a long time on rFactor.

I will say, though, there's an awesome version of LeMans from the '77 and '79 races there. I love using that to shake a car down. ;-)

citizen059 on
  • Options
    Milky28Milky28 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I wish I could answer that; I haven't run the old Nord track in a long time on rFactor.

I will say, though, there's an awesome version of LeMans from the '77 and '79 races there. I love using that to shake a car down. ;-)

They are both really nice versions of the ring. The rFactor one has several different tracklayouts, not just the Nordschleife. I don't notice much difference otherwise, maybe slightly nicer textures in the GTR:Evo version.

btw - if anyone needs a nice 900 degree force-feedback wheel for PC or PS3, Best Buy has the Logitech Driving Force GT (the "official" GT5 wheel) on sale right now for $99 ($50 off normal). I upgraded to the DFGT a couple months ago from an old MOMO wheel and it is sweet. Really happy with it.

Milky28 on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Milky28 XBL: Milky28
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Milky28 wrote: »

They are both really nice versions of the ring. The rFactor one has several different tracklayouts, not just the Nordschleife. I don't notice much difference otherwise, maybe slightly nicer textures in the GTR:Evo version.

btw - if anyone needs a nice 900 degree force-feedback wheel for PC or PS3, Best Buy has the Logitech Driving Force GT (the "official" GT5 wheel) on sale right now for $99 ($50 off normal). I upgraded to the DFGT a couple months ago from an old MOMO wheel and it is sweet. Really happy with it.

Logitech makes good stuff. I picked up a Driving Force Pro (the GT4 wheel) for my PC and I still use it. I've only had to do maintenance once on it (when the pedals were acting up).

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I only just got notice in my email today, but the folks over at Tyka are doing a league with the Porsche mod for rFactor, with Fanatec wheels as prizes at season's end. One of the league members is an actual driver in the series the mod was based on.

Quali for the first round is on the 19th so I'm looking to see if I can fit it into my schedule. If not, there's always next year. :P

citizen059 on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So I'm not a huge racing fan but love playing Forza from time to time. As such I don't want to splash out a huge amount on a wheel but I'd like to look into getting one. For 360, of course.

How cheap can I go before getting into crappiness?

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Do cheap wheels even exist? My Momo Force I think was around 80 bucks or something.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The only wheel worth buying for the 360 is the official microsoft one, due to the wireless angle.

But even the official one has quirks, force feedback is disabled if you're running on battery power, so you'll still be tethered to a wall. The pedal set is tethered to the wheel unit as well. About the only thing you won't be tethered to is the 360 itself, which is something I suppose.

It's a pretty good wheel all around. Has one of the better desk clamps I've come across.. but probably won't help you if you're playing in the living room.

xzzy on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I poured many hours into Forza 2 with the official wheel and it works pretty well :) The steering wheel is a little small and it helps to put a small retangle of sponge behind the brake pedal, but overall it's good value.

Can't wait to fly home today, sink my teeth into some Trackmania action :)

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png