As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Getting Into Classic Battletech

13»

• TargosXTargosX Registered User new member
    edited December 2008
    Warden Clans, represent!
    Sorry, have to get that out of the way.

TargosX on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You know, I think this thread has a severe lack in Atlas. You know, the coolest motherfucking BattleMech that ever motherfucking walked on the motherfucking battlefield. Motherfucker. 100 tons of metal fury towering 30 meters over the ground, the mere mention of the name Atlas sends shivers the down the spines of even the most hardened veteran MechWarriors. It is the stuff of nightmares, my friends. When the Atlas steps onto the field, fools notice that shit. Lasers, PPCs, missiles, autocannons, oh yeah, it's all there. It's there and it's coming right at you. Bitch, you better run, because motherfucking ATLAS is going to kick your sorry ass. That skull isn't a symbol, it's a fucking prophecy. As this cold hulk of steel marches forth into the enemy, he lets you know the entire time what's coming to you. Death. Fishermen tell tales of the Kraken; MechWarriors tell equally terrifying tales about the Atlas. Parents tell their children horror stories about Atlas to keep them in line. But unlike the boogie man, Atlas is real. And he's going to find you.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Heh. I finally downloaded the software last night and ran a quick bot game before I went to bed. I was in an Atlas, with a green pilot (5/6), versus a Commando and a Jenner, both Veterans (3/4), and I got spanked. I just couldn't hit the two Meks enough before they beat me down. I ejected on an ammo crit, then the bastards shot my pilot before I could exit the board. The Jenner was pretty beat up, though, and its pilot did take one damage.

At least I can take solace in the fact that my Atlas was reduced to radioactive scrap, being completely unsalvageable. :P

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    delroland wrote: »
    Heh. I finally downloaded the software last night and ran a quick bot game before I went to bed. I was in an Atlas, with a green pilot (5/6), versus a Commando and a Jenner, both Veterans (3/4), and I got spanked. I just couldn't hit the two Meks enough before they beat me down. I ejected on an ammo crit, then the bastards shot my pilot before I could exit the board. The Jenner was pretty beat up, though, and its pilot did take one damage.

At least I can take solace in the fact that my Atlas was reduced to radioactive scrap, being completely unsalvageable. :P

Since I'm sitting here waiting for my Raquetball match, thought I'd go ahead and give this a try.
    MegaMek wrote:
    Physical Attack Phase

Physical attacks for Jenner JR7-D (Bot1)
    Kick (Left ) at Atlas AS7-D (Valkun); needs 6, rolls 9 : hits (using Kick table) RL
    Atlas AS7-D (Valkun) takes 7 damage to RL. 19 Armor remaining.

Physical attacks for Atlas AS7-D (Valkun)
    Punch (Left Arm) at Jenner JR7-D (Bot1); needs 8, rolls 11 : hits (using Punch table) HD
    Jenner JR7-D (Bot1) takes 10 damage to HD. Armor destroyed, <<<SECTION DESTROYED>>>,
    *** Jenner JR7-D (Bot1) DESTROYED by damage! ***
    Critical hit on HD. Roll is 12;<<<HEAD BLOWN OFF>>> Head blown off.

Punch (Right Arm) at Jenner JR7-D (Bot1); needs 8, rolls 10 : hits (using Punch table) RA
    Jenner JR7-D (Bot1) takes 10 damage to RA. Armor destroyed, <<<SECTION DESTROYED>>>,
    2 damage transfers to RT.
    Critical hit on RA. Roll is 6; no effect.
    Jenner JR7-D (Bot1) takes 2 damage to RT. 6 Armor remaining.

Atlas AS7-D (Valkun) must make 1 piloting skill roll(s) (was kicked).
    The base target is 6 [6 (Base piloting skill)].
    Roll #1, (was kicked); needs 6, rolls 6 : succeeds.

Head Blown Off.

Haha, very next turn:
    Megamek wrote:
    Weapon Attack Phase

Weapons fire for Atlas AS7-D (Valkun)
    Medium Laser at Commando COM-2D (Bot1); needs 11, rolls 7 : misses.
    Needs 11 to ignite, rolls 6
    Medium Laser at Commando COM-2D (Bot1); needs 11, rolls 8 : misses.
    Needs 11 to ignite, rolls 12
    The hex ignites!
    LRM 20 at Commando COM-2D (Bot1); needs 11, rolls 11 : 12 missile(s) hit (using Right Side table).
    Commando COM-2D (Bot1) takes 5 damage to HD. 1 Armor remaining.
    Pilot of Commando COM-2D (Bot1) "Unnamed" takes 1 damage.
    Commando COM-2D (Bot1) takes 5 damage to HD. Armor destroyed, <<<SECTION DESTROYED>>>,
    *** Commando COM-2D (Bot1) DESTROYED by damage! ***
    Critical hit on HD. Roll is 5; no effect.

Commando COM-2D (Bot1) takes 2 damage to RA. 4 Armor remaining.
    SRM 6 at Commando COM-2D (Bot1); needs 11, rolls 7 : misses.
    Auto Cannon/20 at Commando COM-2D (Bot1); needs 11, rolls 8 : misses.

Weapons fire for Commando COM-2D (Bot1)
    Medium Laser at Atlas AS7-D (Valkun); needs 7, rolls 8 : hits CT
    Atlas AS7-D (Valkun) takes 5 damage to CT. 29 Armor remaining.
    SRM 6 at Atlas AS7-D (Valkun); needs 7, rolls 7 : 4 missile(s) hit.
    Atlas AS7-D (Valkun) takes 2 damage to CT. 27 Armor remaining.
    Atlas AS7-D (Valkun) takes 2 damage to RA. 15 Armor remaining.
    Atlas AS7-D (Valkun) takes 2 damage to RA. 13 Armor remaining.
    Atlas AS7-D (Valkun) takes 2 damage to LT. 18 Armor remaining.
    SRM 4 at Atlas AS7-D (Valkun); needs 7, rolls 7 : 3 missile(s) hit.
    Atlas AS7-D (Valkun) takes 2 damage to LT. 16 Armor remaining.
    Atlas AS7-D (Valkun) takes 2 damage to RL. 17 Armor remaining.
    Atlas AS7-D (Valkun) takes 2 damage to RA. 11 Armor remaining.

:lol: That is the best 5/6 pilot, ever. Because of the pilots, the light mechs had 100 more BV than the Atlas alone.

Valkun on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    With that matchup physical attacks are definitely the way to go. If you win initiative you should be able to close into hitting range against at least one of them and a kick from an Atlas should take a leg clean off either of those mechs.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited December 2008
    It wouldn't let me punch for some reason when I did it; I could only kick.

But yeah, that is the luckiest crappy Mek pilot ever. :lol:
    With that matchup physical attacks are definitely the way to go. If you win initiative you should be able to close into hitting range against at least one of them and a kick from an Atlas should take a leg clean off either of those mechs.

The only problem is that the target number to hit is generally 9 or higher due to movement and the crappy piloting skill.

delroland on
    edited December 2008
    When you fire a weapon on an arm/leg, you can't use it for melee.

If anyone is up for a game, I can probably connect from this lab.

Valkun on
    edited December 2008
    It wouldn't let me punch for some reason when I did it; I could only kick.

But yeah, that is the luckiest crappy Mek pilot ever. :lol:

If you use a weapon in an arm during the weapons phase you cant punch (or use a hatchet) with that arm later during the physical phase.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited December 2008
    So apparently the official ruling is that if a mech is pushed off a map and unless the scenario says otherwise, that mech is considered destroyed. Should have tried a push attack against your Catapult!

Valkun on
    edited December 2008
    Ah. Yeah, I was firing the AC20 pretty much every round.

I only got like two LRM shots off though, because after the second round the other Meks were too close, so the minimum range made it practically impossible to hit. I just didn't fire them to save on heat.

delroland on
    edited December 2008
    Valkun wrote: »
    So apparently the official ruling is that if a mech is pushed off a map and unless the scenario says otherwise, that mech is considered destroyed. Should have tried a push attack against your Catapult!

Yeah, though I found a setting in MegaMek that prevents being pushed off the map.

The turn after the DFA I think there was a perfect setup for a charge attack by your pheonix hawk.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited December 2008

I only got like two LRM shots off though, because after the second round the other Meks were too close, so the minimum range made it practically impossible to hit. I just didn't fire them to save on heat.

AC20 is in the torso. With an original Atlas the lasers are in the arms.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited December 2008

Yeah, though I found a setting in MegaMek that prevents being pushed off the map.

The turn after the DFA I think there was a perfect setup for a charge attack by your pheonix hawk.

It always came up one short. So Charge does Hexes Moved * Tons/10 while only doing Defender Tons/10 back to the attacker. That is awesome.

Edit: Seriously, I'm dieing from boredom in here.

Valkun on
    edited December 2008

It always came up one short. So Charge does Hexes Moved * Tons/10 while only doing Defender Tons/10 back to the attacker. That is awesome.

In open terrain that is what the Pheonix Hawk is best at. 45 Tons and can charge up to 9 hexes.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited December 2008
    BTW: Probably won't have time for MegaMek this weekend but definitely early next week.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited December 2008
    Now that I think about it, how many people can play at once? I assumed it was 2 but there are settings for team games.

Valkun on
    edited December 2008

AC20 is in the torso. With an original Atlas the lasers are in the arms.

Yeah, I was firing those every round too. :P

delroland on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Right now, I'm remembering that there was this website that has this sort of online meta-campaign that was mostly integrated into MegaMek. Basically, there was a training section, after which you chose one of the houses to fight with, and each faction had their specific units that they had access to.

You hired your pilots and bought your mechs, had mechanics to work on them, and fought over planets, where it would switch to the megamek client. I can't for the life of me remember where it was or what it was called.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    edited December 2008
    Looks like it's that time again, I'll probably be free the rest of the day if anyone wants to play a match.

That was pretty funny. Played a match against a bot which really isn't all that skilled.

Awesome AWS-8Q
    Hunchback HBK-4G
    Locust LCT-1V
    Three Jump Infantry (Flamer, Flamer, Laser)
    Whirlwind Hover Tank

vs

Timber Wolf A (Madcat)
    Mithras Light Tank

With its immense range, the Madcat blew apart all my mechs, which were admittedly pretty slow, while they were trying to cross some densely generated terrain with its twin ER-PPCs. Although the Awesome managed to stay alive long enough to get one or two PPC shots in of its own, it really didn't even scratch the armor on that clan heavy mech. However, while slowly shooting apart the crippled remains of my mechs as they were laying helplessly on the ground, the infantry managed to get close enough to deal a constant barrage of damage. In the end, a single Flame infantry was the sole survivor as it burnt through the central torso of the Madcat critting on the gyro twice. A few turns later, victory was mine with a single infantry unit left to show for it.

Valkun on
    edited December 2008
    That's awesome (npi).

Were the infantry anti-Mek? And what did the sole surviving unit of flamer infantry do with the approximately ten million credits worth of salvage? :lol:

delroland on
    edited December 2008
    Right now, I'm remembering that there was this website that has this sort of online meta-campaign that was mostly integrated into MegaMek. Basically, there was a training section, after which you chose one of the houses to fight with, and each faction had their specific units that they had access to.

You hired your pilots and bought your mechs, had mechanics to work on them, and fought over planets, where it would switch to the megamek client. I can't for the life of me remember where it was or what it was called.

Sounds a lot like MegaMekNet 3025 Campaign. All new players start out in the training faction and you can switch to a house or pirates after you get a few games under your belt. I think I might at least go see what it's all about and report back, anyone want to join me? Any house people want to join? I'm pretty partial to the Lyrans myself.

However, I'm thinking of a single planet campaign that I want to run here. I have the rules mostly fleshed out, just need to sort of balance it to make sure it's both fun and viable.

Valkun on
    edited December 2008
    I'll be home in an hour and a half; I can jump in then.

delroland on
    edited December 2008
    Working on getting it to work; no luck yet. :(

delroland on
    edited December 2008
    Which part?

After you download the MegaMekNet program, all you should have to do is run it.

Valkun on
    edited December 2008
    Got it up, and got all sorts of whooped on in my first battle. Me in a Spider, Hermes, Cicada, and Dervish versus a Panther, Firestarter, Jenner, and Spider. I got my ass handed to me; I screwed up my deployment, and then had all sorts of mishaps: meks falling through ice, meks missing eight attacks at 8's and 9's...

delroland on
    edited December 2008
    Had my heaviest mech almost ripped apart early in my game. Lucky head shot, pilot failed a consciousness roll of 3. 3. It was fun though. The community seems nice and will definately help you both learn CBT and the MekWars system.

Valkun on
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, the only weird thing that happened was when my Dervish jumped onto ice. I made the check to not break through, and then it had me check again for no apparent reason. I failed the second roll and fell through. Of course, I had already lost two meks at that point, so the battle was pretty much done anyways. Still annoying, though.

delroland on
    edited December 2008
    Hey, Delro. I'm on right now and looking for some action if you've got the time.

Valkun on
    edited December 2008
    Sorry, was getting ready for work (where I am now :P). I head out of town tonight, but I'll be up for a game Wednesday.

delroland on
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, the only weird thing that happened was when my Dervish jumped onto ice. I made the check to not break through, and then it had me check again for no apparent reason. I failed the second roll and fell through. Of course, I had already lost two meks at that point, so the battle was pretty much done anyways. Still annoying, though.

The first check applies to any non-hover/flying unit that enters an ice hex, and only fails on a 6 on 1d6. The second check applies to 'Mechs that jump into an ice-covered hex, and fails on 4+. And then, if you make both of those, you have to pass a piloting skill check at +4 not to fall.

So, in general, don't jump onto ice-covered water hexes.

Orogogus on
    edited December 2008
    Weapon Attack Phase

Weapons fire for Vulcan VL-5T ID:4 (Valkun)
    Medium Laser at Commando COM-2D ID:5 (Haier); needs 8, rolls 8 : hits RA
    Commando COM-2D ID:5 (Haier) takes 5 damage to RA. <<<SECTION DESTROYED>>>,
    3 damage transfers to RT.
    Critical hit on RA. Roll is 6; no effect.
    Commando COM-2D ID:5 (Haier) takes 3 damage to RT. Armor destroyed, 4 Internal Structure remaining
    Critical hit on RT. Roll is 8; 1 location.
    <<<CRITICAL HIT>>> on SRM 4 Ammo (21).
    *** SRM 4 Ammo EXPLODES! 168 DAMAGE! ***

Commando COM-2D ID:5 (Haier) suffers an ammunition explosion, but the autoeject system was engaged.
    Commando COM-2D ID:5 (Haier) must make a piloting skill check (landing in clear terrain).
    Needs 4 [5 (ejecting) + 1 (automatic ejection) - 2 (landing in clear terrain)], rolls 7 : succeeds.
    The pilot ejects safely!

*** Commando COM-2D ID:5 (Haier) DESTROYED by ejection! ***
    Commando COM-2D ID:5 (Haier) takes 168 damage to RT. <<<SECTION DESTROYED>>>,
    164 damage transfers to CT.
    Critical hit on RT. Roll is 9; 1 location.
    <<<CRITICAL HIT>>> on Heat Sink.
    Commando COM-2D ID:5 (Haier) takes 164 damage to CT. <<<SECTION DESTROYED>>>,
    Commando COM-2D ID:5 (Haier) has taken 6 engine hits this round.
    Checking for engine explosion on 12, roll is 6.
    Engine safety systems remain in place.

Critical hit on CT. Roll is 4; no effect.

Medium Laser at Commando COM-2D ID:5 (Haier); needs 8, rolls 8 : hits RA
    Commando COM-2D ID:5 (Haier) takes 5 damage to RA.
    5 damage transfers to RT.
    Commando COM-2D ID:5 (Haier) takes 5 damage to RT.
    5 damage transfers to CT.
    Commando COM-2D ID:5 (Haier) takes 5 damage to CT.
    Medium Laser at Commando COM-2D ID:5 (Haier); needs 8, rolls 11 : hits LL
    Commando COM-2D ID:5 (Haier) takes 5 damage to LL. Armor destroyed, 4 Internal Structure remaining
    Critical hit on LL. Roll is 5; no effect.

Weapons fire for Commando COM-2D ID:5 (Haier)
    Medium Laser at Firestarter FS9-H ID:2 (Valkun); needs 8, rolls 5 : misses.
    SRM 6 at Firestarter FS9-H ID:2 (Valkun); needs 8, rolls 9 : 2 missile(s) hit.
    Firestarter FS9-H ID:2 (Valkun) takes 2 damage to RL. 1 Armor remaining.
    Firestarter FS9-H ID:2 (Valkun) takes 2 damage to LL. 2 Armor remaining.
    SRM 4 at Firestarter FS9-H ID:2 (Valkun); needs 10, rolls 11 : 2 missile(s) hit.
    Firestarter FS9-H ID:2 (Valkun) takes 2 damage to HD. 7 Armor remaining.
    Pilot of Firestarter FS9-H ID:2 (Valkun) "Pvt. Linda "Floater" Heid" takes 1 damage.
    Pilot of Firestarter FS9-H ID:2 (Valkun) "Pvt. Linda "Floater" Heid" needs a 3 to stay conscious. Rolls 10 : successful!

Firestarter FS9-H ID:2 (Valkun) takes 2 damage to RL. Armor destroyed, 7 Internal Structure remaining
    Critical hit on RL. Roll is 4; no effect.

Weapons fire for Firestarter FS9-H ID:2 (Valkun)
    Medium Laser at Commando COM-2D ID:5 (Haier); needs 8, rolls 9 : hits (using Left Side table) RT
    Commando COM-2D ID:5 (Haier) takes 5 damage to RT.
    5 damage transfers to CT.
    Commando COM-2D ID:5 (Haier) takes 5 damage to CT.
    Medium Laser at Commando COM-2D ID:5 (Haier); needs 8, rolls 8 : hits (using Left Side table) LT
    Commando COM-2D ID:5 (Haier) takes 5 damage to LT. 1 Armor remaining.
    Machine Gun at Commando COM-2D ID:5 (Haier); needs 8, rolls 8 : hits (using Left Side table) LT
    Commando COM-2D ID:5 (Haier) takes 2 damage to LT. Armor destroyed, 5 Internal Structure remaining
    Critical hit on LT. Roll is 7; no effect.
    Machine Gun at Commando COM-2D ID:5 (Haier); needs 8, rolls 9 : hits (using Left Side table) CT
    Commando COM-2D ID:5 (Haier) takes 2 damage to CT.

Weapons fire for Mongoose MON-67 ID:6 (Haier)
    Medium Laser at Hunchback HBK-4G ID:1 (Valkun); needs 8, rolls 5 : misses.
    Medium Laser at Hunchback HBK-4G ID:1 (Valkun); needs 8, rolls 6 : misses.
    Small Laser at Hunchback HBK-4G ID:1 (Valkun); needs 8, rolls 3 : misses.

Weapons fire for Spider SDR-5V ID:3 (Valkun)
    Medium Laser at Commando COM-2D ID:5 (Haier); needs 8, rolls 3 : misses.
    Medium Laser at Commando COM-2D ID:5 (Haier); needs 8, rolls 7 : misses.

Weapons fire for Phoenix Hawk PXH-1 ID:7 (Haier)
    Large Laser at Spider SDR-5V ID:3 (Valkun); needs 8, rolls 3 : misses.
    Medium Laser at Spider SDR-5V ID:3 (Valkun); needs 10, rolls 8 : misses.
    Medium Laser at Spider SDR-5V ID:3 (Valkun); needs 10, rolls 7 : misses.

Weapons fire for Hunchback HBK-4G ID:1 (Valkun)
    Auto Cannon/20 at Vulcan VL-5T ID:8 (Haier); needs 7, rolls 7 : hits (using Rear table) CTR
    Vulcan VL-5T ID:8 (Haier) takes 20 damage to CTR. Armor destroyed, <<<SECTION DESTROYED>>>,
    Vulcan VL-5T ID:8 (Haier) has taken 6 engine hits this round.
    Checking for engine explosion on 12, roll is 9.
    Engine safety systems remain in place.

*** Vulcan VL-5T ID:8 (Haier) DESTROYED by damage! ***

Critical hit on CT. Roll is 5; no effect.
    Medium Laser at Vulcan VL-5T ID:8 (Haier); needs 7, rolls 10 : hits (using Rear table) RTR
    Vulcan VL-5T ID:8 (Haier) takes 5 damage to RTR. Armor destroyed, 9 Internal Structure remaining
    Critical hit on RT. Roll is 8; 1 location.
    <<<CRITICAL HIT>>> on Jump Jet.
    Medium Laser at Vulcan VL-5T ID:8 (Haier); needs 7, rolls 4 : misses.

Weapons fire for Vulcan VL-5T ID:8 (Haier)
    Medium Laser at Vulcan VL-5T ID:4 (Valkun); needs 11, rolls 3 : misses.
    Medium Laser at Vulcan VL-5T ID:4 (Valkun); needs 11, rolls 9 : misses.
    Medium Laser at Vulcan VL-5T ID:4 (Valkun); needs 11, rolls 8 : misses.

Opponent admitted defeat right after this.

Valkun on
    edited December 2008
    Orogogus wrote: »

The first check applies to any non-hover/flying unit that enters an ice hex, and only fails on a 6 on 1d6. The second check applies to 'Mechs that jump into an ice-covered hex, and fails on 4+. And then, if you make both of those, you have to pass a piloting skill check at +4 not to fall.

So, in general, don't jump onto ice-covered water hexes.

No, I made the piloting check to not break through for jumping on/entering the hex. But the next round, as I was moving OFF the ice, it rolled another check, and the Mek broke through.

delroland on
    edited December 2008
    Opponent admitted defeat right after this.

And the lesson today, folks, is to never, EVER let a Hunchback get behind you.

delroland on
    edited December 2008
    Does MegaMek have 'Mechs from 3067? There are some really awesome 'Mechs in that readout.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited December 2008
    It has IS and Clan level 2 units, so I think so?

Valkun on
    edited December 2008

Does it have Fafnir or Archangel?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited December 2008

It has Fafnir, but I didn't see any Archangel.

Valkun on
    edited December 2008

It has Fafnir, but I didn't see any Archangel.

Sorry, not Archangel. 'Mechs like Scyllus, Rabid Coyote, Riflemen, Red Shift etc.

I'll take a look for myself here in a little bit.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png