As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can't do Gabe's special attack in Ep2 to save my life

OndenOnden Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Penny Arcade Games
Maybe I just don't have the reflexes, but no matter how many times I try, I simply can't get a perfect on Gabe's special attack. I played for an hour, tried it in every single battle and messed up every single time. I filled Tycho's and the player character's overkill gauges (well, at least for the first weapon), but I don't have a single bonus for Gabe. It's the fact that the tempo picks up near the end and that really throws me off. The box is so tiny and the arrows move so fast.

Anyone else having the same problem? I know it's dumb, but it's really annoying that I can't get the bonus and making me despise the whole game. I can't even begin to imagine how impossibly difficult it must be to perform the higher level attacks.

Do you think there's any chance they could patch it to make it easier for schlubs like me?

Onden on

• Options
    ShabsShabs Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I can handle it, but I do find the specials in Ep. 2 surprisingly tricky. I wonder if it's because I'm using my old lvl 15 character. Maybe people playing fresh characters might have easier specials? (Can anyone confirm/deny this?)

Shabs on
  • Options
    AceOfSomethingOrOtherAceOfSomethingOrOther Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This has been mentioned before, so I'll repeat a couple bits of advice I have heard.

-One person said that they had to play the game fullscreen to be able to do Gabe's attack. From the sound of it, that helped a lot.
    -I've always counted out the beat as if each arrow was a quarter note in 4/4 time. Even though the tempo changes, I find it helpful. "One two three four one two three four onetwothreeFOUR!" Or, -ahem-, something like that.

AceOfSomethingOrOther on
  • Options
    LushLush Registered User new member
    edited November 2008
    I had that problem, too, for a while... Gabe was the last one I managed to pull off the move with and then the last I managed to fill out the overkill bonus for (though I think I still have an extra strand waiting from the space left... still waiting on that patch).

I just kept trying until I got it right (though I still mess up if I get excited or nervous and lost my focus). You kinda have to adjust with the speed... be careful not to overshoot in the beginning, keep the pace in the middle, and hit just a little before they enter the box at the end.

At least on the first one. I didn't even TRY his higher attacks. xD At least Tycho's are easier this time around...

Lush on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Well, good to know it's not just me at least. Looks like they could have used a bit more playtesting here. Even though the level 3 special attacks were difficult to pull off in episode 1, the first versions were at least pretty easy to do - so even if you couldn't do the good attacks, you could at least get the overkill bonus with the level 1 attacks. So having a special attack that's nigh impossible (for me) to pull off is a double disadvantage.

BTW, I guess I should have mentioned I have the PC version of the game, but perhaps that was obvious. Is the console version special attack the same but with button presses in place of A & D keys, or is it totally different?

Onden on
  • Options
    dark_porpoisedark_porpoise Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You use the left and right shoulder buttons, and I find it to be fairly easy, but it could also help that the bar to hit them in appears to be larger (obviously, it doesn't make any difference in the timing, but it just feels bigger).

dark_porpoise on
  • Options
    NeopopulasNeopopulas Registered User new member
    edited November 2008
    This has been mentioned before, so I'll repeat a couple bits of advice I have heard.

-One person said that they had to play the game fullscreen to be able to do Gabe's attack. From the sound of it, that helped a lot.
    -I've always counted out the beat as if each arrow was a quarter note in 4/4 time. Even though the tempo changes, I find it helpful. "One two three four one two three four onetwothreeFOUR!" Or, -ahem-, something like that.

I heard that too (and i have a lot of trouble with that special) the problem is, i can't play it full-screen. If i do, i run into a bug. In windows XP, if i'm playing in full-screen mode, and i try and load (not the normal arrow, the one where you get the turning cog thing, like when you change maps or whatnot) it just loads forever then goes into 'not-responding' mode. I've asked around on the greenhouse forums, and here, but no one seems to know anything or if there is a fix/solution coming

Neopopulas on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Well I finally got it a couple times. The secret for me: using both hands.

I absolutely can not do is using two fingers on my left hand. However, if I take my right hand off the mouse and use one hand for A and the other for D (the index finger of each), then I'm able to do it.

I'm not sure why precisely, but it seems I can react a lot faster when I do it that way.

Onden on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Strangely, I found the highest level a lot easier than the ones below it. A steady rhythm is far easier to keep track of, even if it's fast. The lower levels have the sudden speed ramp somewhere in the middle, which is the ideal place to screw up.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    AceOfSomethingOrOtherAceOfSomethingOrOther Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Onden wrote: »
    Well, good to know it's not just me at least. Looks like they could have used a bit more playtesting here.

To be fair, I don't think it's that difficult for everyone. Gabe's special happens to be the easiest for me, while the player's special is rather tough.

AceOfSomethingOrOther on
  • Options
    LeviantLeviant Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I find Gabe's lvl 3 to be the easiest to pull off actually :D , its my fave for episode 2

The one i'm having a hard time is on the Player's Special Attack, any level... @_@

on Tycho's, i have to admit, my first encounter of his level 3 was surprisingly.... gaped.
    lvl 1 and lvl 2 were practically the same, lvl 3 on the other hand is totally fast, BUT IT WAS FUN to do :D

Leviant on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ripclawripclaw Registered User new member
    edited November 2008
    Funny how this is different for different people. I feel like the player special is definitely the easiest for me, followed by Tycho's attack and then Gabe's.
    All in all I feel that the special attacks are much more useful in Ep 2 than they were in Ep1. Well done guys!

ripclaw on
  • Options
    DraxoDraxo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I actually find Gabe's attack the easiest to pull off.

Tycho's final attack though is a beast. I havent managed to pull it off once. Also the main characters is also tough.

I tend to rely on Gabe's for specials since he's the only one I can handle.

I guess it entirely depends on the person.

Draxo on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    After trying Gabe's attack more and more, it actually became my most reliable special.

I actually appreciate the difficulty curve associated with combat in Episode 2. It feels much less like a point-and-click adventure and makes for a deeper game. (Compared to Episode 1, where I felt like it was guaranteed that I'd nail a special any time I tried.)

Shabs on
  • Options
    aragorn18aragorn18 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I find that I usually hit Gabe's markers too early. It might just be lag on my end or just a perception thing. But, I find that if I delay for a fraction of a second, I'm more accurate.

However, I do think they went a bit overboard with the difficulty of Gabe's special.

aragorn18 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I think lag is a possibility.

I can't play Penny Arcade Adventures on my laptop at all because it feels like my timing is off for all attacks and I can barely hit the easiest specials.

On my desktop I can even hit Tycho's most difficult special no problem every time.

I'm not exactly sure what would be causing the lag on my laptop but it's definitely there.

Shabs on
  • Options
    LeviantLeviant Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ^resolution?

seriously i have best reaction time and mouse sensitivity on its lowest resolution. managed to get everyone to 40 hits from Sanitarium Gate to Sanitarium Front Door :D

love insane mode, playing it again :D

Leviant on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kupi wrote: »
    Strangely, I found the highest level a lot easier than the ones below it. A steady rhythm is far easier to keep track of, even if it's fast. The lower levels have the sudden speed ramp somewhere in the middle, which is the ideal place to screw up.

Same exact thing happened to me. I think my guy's and Tycho's Overkill meters were filled, Gabe had one or 2 X's. Then I got level three of his and now I find it FAR easier.

DrunkMc on