As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Get out of my head!!!

clownfoodclownfood packet pusherin the wallsRegistered User regular
edited December 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse

I only want to see you laughing in the purple rain!

I want to thank JamesKeenan for this. Now I have "Purple Rain" by Prince stuck in my head.

Although James probably did this unknowingly, I have this issue with Prince songs where I hear one lyric and for the next few days I will be humming the chorus repeatedly. Darling Nikki, Little Red Corvette, 1999, I Would Die 4 U, Pussy Control, Seven...the list goes on and on. And the only way to get one particular song out of my head is to get another one stuck in there.

The worst part about it is that sometimes it doesn't even have to be Prince. I had a two week stretch where I had the theme song to the old show, "The Fall Guy," torturing my soul.

So what songs are notorious for getting stuck in your head? Is it a Fallout Boy song? Something by Tiffany? Does a snippet of "Disco Inferno" have you absent mindedly doing the hustle all day long? What do you do to get rid of a song stuck in your head?

photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
clownfood on

• Options
    ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Anything sung in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There was a song I played in high school band called Lincolnshire Posy by Percy Grainger.

You know how sometimes you find yourself whistling a random tune? That's the tune I was whistling for about 5 years. Recently it's been Sweet Georgia Brown (thank you Futurama?).

I find there's no way to get a song unstuck from my head unless it's an equally catchy one. Something that helps me at times, is to try to remember song lyrics for some random song I really like. I usually don't listen too carefully to lyrics, so it helps me to focus on something else (it took me about 2 weeks to realize that Michelle Branch's song "Everywhere" was a love song :?).

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Songs from musicals or musical-type films tend to get stuck in my head, especially "Down Once More" from The Phantom of the Opera and "(We're) Marley and Marley" from The Muppet Christmas Carol. Also, around this time of year, I tend to get "Christmas is Coming" by Vince Guaraldi stuck in my head.

To get rid of songs stuck in my head, I hum the theme song from I Dream of Jeannie. A friend of mine did this to get "stuck songs" out of her head, and I've always had success with it...I guess it's sort of like brain bleach for some people.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Christmas music, all year round.
    The tune Elle Driver whistles in Kill Bill.
    The Humpty Dance.
    The "12" song from Sesame Street.

Lots of others, but those are the worst offenders.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm Blue da ba dee da ba daa
    da ba deeee da ba daaaa
    da ba dee da ba daa
    :whistle:

Generally speaking, the only thing to do is let it run its course, or replace it with something equally as catchy, if not offensive. The Katamari soundtracks are pretty decent in this regard.

Simon Moon on
    Steam: simon moon
  • Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    White Christmas--Bing Crosby

jackisreal on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Toxic by Britney Spears. Once it gets in there it doesn't leave for days.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The first few bits of the Katamari Damacy theme song.

I played that game like 3 years ago until I beat it. THE THEME HAS NOT LEFT MY HEAD SINCE.

yalborap on
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The main theme from the film The Great Escape, starting at 00:17.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjF8sjuPLxU&feature=related

Oftentimes when I'm walking with friends, one of us will begin to hum this and we'll all immediately fall into step and begin to sing along. It has been known to not leave my head for periods of up to several days.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Shoggoth wrote: »

Champion of the sun!

Doc on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    due to the unique way by head works I now have an interesting mix of all of these stuck in my head.

Thanks a lot D&D!

BobCesca on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Here Comes Your Man by The Pixies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvi4iA3PnKE

Hey, at least it's a decent song that gets stuck.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Anything you'd hear on the radio or on a bar jukebox by Wings usually ruins a few days for me.

I was in hiking in New Mexico for two weeks, and despite the two tapes I brought with me to listen to, I wound up with Del Shannon's 'Runaway' in my head for those two weeks. It sucked hard.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The Halo theme music.

Along that vain, I get a lot of game music stuck in my head, but I think it has more to do with the fact if I'm playing the game a lot (and I tend to play RPG in a very methodical way), I hear the music over and over so that it winds up getting drilled into my head, sometimes to the point where it becomes the theme music for my dreams that night.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This used to happen to me quite a bit, not anymore, though. Dunno why. Is there something wrong with me?

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Woodroez wrote: »
    This used to happen to me quite a bit, not anymore, though. Dunno why. Is there something wrong with me?

Have you lost your groove?

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I once had Love is a Battlefield by Pat Benatar stuck in my head for 3 months. Everyday there'd be a few minutes where I'd just randomly start singing the chorus under my breath.

Also, like Dark Moon, the theme song to The Great Escape. I was thinking about that song most of today and yesterday and I forgot where it was from and now blast it! It's in my head again.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Miley Cyrus' new song keeps getting in my head thanks to fucking channel surfing.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i think the name of the song is 'hooked on a feeling'

ooga chacka ooga chacka

ooga ooga ooga chacka

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    i think the name of the song is 'hooked on a feeling'

ooga chacka ooga chacka

ooga ooga ooga chacka

DANCING_BABY.gif

clownfood on
    photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I had "I like little girls" from Oingo Boingo stuck in my head for the longest time. :x Lately it's music from Evita. Could be worse.

Aldo on
  • Options
    enderwiggin13enderwiggin13 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's the final countdown!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG5RUNlxtkA

This song actually became a rickroll of sorts here at work. We'd play it randomly for people and get it to load and play on each other's computers with embedded flash files and things. We even filled one guy's entire voicemail box with it. :)

enderwiggin13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jotjot Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Every time someone says the word 'godfather', no matter the context, I can't not whistle the Godfather tune. Even in public. Especially in public.

"Living on a prayer" has to be shouted when someone says something along the lines of 'halfway there'.

Also, that song from the Kill Bill soundtrack, 'Battle without Honor or Humanity', can get stuck in my head for days at the time and always makes me grin like an idiot when I walk somewhere and it's playing in my head

jot on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If I hear or ever think of "We are 138" by Misfits, that demn melody and chjorus gets stuck in my head for days.

Goddammit, clowfood, see what you have done?!

muninn on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It is my theory that every song has at least one counter song if it gets stuck in your head. As in if I get stuck in my head, I might pull out to cancel it out.

Its sad that one of the songs from this skit gets stuck in my head.

:whistle:Mondays I hate Mondays/They get me so steamed!/Week-ends I prefer the Week-ends!/Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah:whistle:

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    At any given time there's about a 30% chance that the Gilligan's Island theme song is playing in my head.

I don't think it can possibly be good for my long-term mental health.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Every May my college does a big Choral Masterworks concert with all the college choirs and the community choir. It was worse when I was still going and was in the concert choir and men's ensemble, because I'd be getting double rehearsals of the piece for about a month, but it still happens now that I'm in the community choir. We'd work the piece really hard, then do the concert. It'd be stuck in my head for a day or two, then I'd be free for a couple of weeks. Then, about 2 or 3 weeks into the summer, it would all come back to me, and I'd have snatches of these pieces stuck in my head for the entire rest of the summer until the CDs came in, and I could listen to them to exorcise them.

Sometimes I'll wake up with a song in my head. It's usually one I don't like.
    Also I'll just wake up with a phrase in my head, and I end up just rolling it around in my head all day.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Also I'll just wake up with a phrase in my head, and I end up just rolling it around in my head all day.

Fucking hate that. It usually helps if I write it down or say it out loud or listen to a speech.

Aldo on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    banana phone gets in my head alot. also anything by michael jackson, which is bad because i'll just start going 'OW! jam on-nah' and people at work look at me funny.

also dayman was stuck in my head for about 3 weeks after i saw it. and then once it left my gf mentioned it and it stuck around another 2 weeks.

FIGHTER OF THE NIGHT MAN

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Shoggoth wrote: »

Damnation I still have "Day Man" stuck in my head from 2 weeks ago.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    enderwiggin13enderwiggin13 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    aaaaAAAAAAAAaaaaaaa fighter of the Night Man?

enderwiggin13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    BONGO BONGO BONGO

NOOOO NOT THE DAMN BONGO

I don't wanna leave the jungle no no no no no no....

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i found myself singing civilization in the shower for many a day earlier in november

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    aaaaAAAAAAAAaaaaaaa fighter of the Night Man?

CHAMPION OF THE SUN

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

HE'S A MASTER OF KARATE AND FRIENDSHIP FOR EVERYONE

DAY MAN

i sing that shit in the shower erry day

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    DerLustigeBosniakDerLustigeBosniak Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Puttin' On The Ritz

DerLustigeBosniak on
    sig-3.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's the final countdown!

This song actually became a rickroll of sorts here at work. We'd play it randomly for people and get it to load and play on each other's computers with embedded flash files and things. We even filled one guy's entire voicemail box with it. :)

I wanna try something - if you hear a really awful rendition, does the song leave your head? It works for me as I've watched American Idol rejects butchering songs on youtube and BAM! the song doesn't bother for the rest of the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxRXleerWO8

emnmnme on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    i found myself singing civilization in the shower for many a day earlier in november
    That song...

So insidious....

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2008
    jot wrote: »
    Also, that song from the Kill Bill soundtrack, 'Battle without Honor or Humanity', can get stuck in my head for days at the time and always makes me grin like an idiot when I walk somewhere and it's playing in my head

For about two months after I saw Kill Bill v1, that song played in my head any time I walked anywhere, and I would be compelled to strut dramatically in time to the beat.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.