As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Comic Thread for December 8th, 2008

• manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've been tempted by the Zune greatly but with the lack of real Linux support It has not sealed the deal for me.

And to be honest I really only listen to music when I'm at my computer so I feel like it wouldn't get used very much.

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm just pissed at apple because they made me pay for things that already came standard on an iphone and then they expected me to pay again for the privilege to use apps, while also making sure that that particular update included all the iphone apps from the previous update, just so me paying them would be extra redundant

oh and they also put both of those free on all new ipod touches

hey I got an idea, apple, go fuck yourself

This still pisses me off

I got my iTouch as a gift from my cousin almost a year ago and I really like it aside from Apple trying to gouge the shit out of me

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    A Hornet went down in San Diego, near Miramar.

The report is that the pilot ejected, but the video looks like it went right into a neighborhood.

NotASenator on
  • transistorsecttransistorsect Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I love my Zune and I don't think I will ever switch. Itunes just rubs me the wrong way. Also I am eagerly awaiting the dickerdoodle gallery to be up.

transistorsect on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Facebook Zune Brutal
    edited December 2008
    The pilot apparently ejected before the crash, but there's no word on his condition.

NotASenator on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm just pissed at apple because they made me pay for things that already came standard on an iphone and then they expected me to pay again for the privilege to use apps, while also making sure that that particular update included all the iphone apps from the previous update, just so me paying them would be extra redundant

oh and they also put both of those free on all new ipod touches

hey I got an idea, apple, go fuck yourself

Nintendo does this shit too, and I just eat it up.

sarukun on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    jwalk wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    Also, aversion to MSoft (and only MSoft) is silly. If you wanna be anti-corporate, go for it, but as I said before, Apple is just as bad as MSoft, so choosing one over the other for "moral" reasons is non-sensicle.
    That was really my point, choosing either based on your idea of what the parent company is or isn't instead of judging the product based on it's own merits (or lack thereof) is silly and dumbtarded.

except that, when it comes to consumer interfacing (which has been the specific complaint) Apple locks down their devices, and only lets you do what they let you do, whereas MSoft tends to give up a bit more control.

If I wanted to, and had the knowledge, I could sit down and make a game to be played on my Zune right now, using tools that Microsoft has freely provided.

Evander on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I like my iPod because it's three years old and still chugging.

KalTorak on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    NotACrook wrote: »
    A Hornet went down in San Diego, near Miramar.

The report is that the pilot ejected, but the video looks like it went right into a neighborhood.

that sucks

but why are you talking about it in the new comic thread

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    cuz

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
    edited December 2008
    because it's more important than you boo-hooing like a fucking baby about what you didn't get from Apple.

NotASenator on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    it also has nothing to do with the comic and I think that's against the rules!

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »

I dropped my iPod in a freezing river and it still works.

I say dropped - I fell in wearing it.

Of course, Zunes might be idiot-proof as well - anybody had experience with submersing their Zune?

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »

I dropped my iPod in a freezing river and it still works.

I say dropped - I fell in wearing it.

Of course, Zunes might be idiot-proof as well - anybody had experience with submersing their Zune?

I'm pretty sure many people gave their Zunes a watery grave.

tallgeeze on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I got a Creative Labs portable... media... thingie... for Christmas a few years ago.

It would often freeze if you tried to quit a movie file right after opening it, requiring that you wait until it runs out of batteries and turns off so that you could restart it after charging it again.

I don't use it that often.

MrMonroe on
  • Baroque ObamaBaroque Obama Registered User new member
    edited December 2008
    Evander wrote: »
    jwalk wrote: »
    I'm not saying Apple is perfect but it seems dumb to avoid iPods which are generally great products because of some weird aversion to Apple's corporate identity, and then especially bizarre to say you prefer... Micro... soft... of all choices.

You could've said, I dunno... Creative or something.

how exactly is an iPod a great product?

the iPod is a mediocre product with a great marketing campaign.

much of its sucess is owed to being in the right place at the right time, when people were just starting to notice the mp3 player market.

but the ipod is historically less fully featured than competitors, and the interface is not inherently intuitive.

Other than fashion, the most important thing that iPod has goign for it is the myth of ease of use, perpetrated by word of mouth and retail clerks too lazy/uninclined to try out all of the various offerings.

There is nothing wrong about owning an iPod, but there is nothing special about an iPod (save for the variety of accesories avbailable for it) to make it the one that you MUST buy.

Also, aversion to MSoft (and only MSoft) is silly. If you wanna be anti-corporate, go for it, but as I said before, Apple is just as bad as MSoft, so choosing one over the other for "moral" reasons is non-sensicle.

How can you even say that the iPod is a bad mp3 player? Apple actually supported gapless playback and lossless encodings before Microsoft even thought of putting them as a feature. I'm not saying that the Zune is bad - in fact its a great player - but you're just spouting crap.

The iPod is definitely NOT a featureless player. The actual limit of the battery life of the iPod 120, founded by ilounge.com, is 42 hours and 29 minutes. This is compared to the Zune 120 which according to zunethings.com has a actual battery life of merely 23 hours. Granted, wifi is enabled but that shouldn't affect results too significantly.

To say that the player is not easy to use is merely your opinion

Also if the iPod Classic is nothing special then the Zune is nothing special as well as they both have essentially the same feature sets except a few things like FM radio (zune) and an actual line out thats not blocked (iPod).

Baroque Obama on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    wifi chews up batteries.

Dynagrip on
  • Baroque ObamaBaroque Obama Registered User new member
    edited December 2008
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    wifi chews up batteries.

fine i'll use the zune 80 actual battery life results which have been recorded which is 22 hours judging by cnet.

Baroque Obama on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    He never said it was featureless, just that it has less features than other PMPs out there, especially Zune.

Centipede Damascus on
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i like ipods, they are pretty and feel nice in my hand. they are easy to use and i love apple products.

i have never even really seen a zune, so i cannot offer an opinion

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Belruel wrote: »
    i like ipods, they are pretty and feel nice in my hand. they are easy to use and i love apple products.

i have never even really seen a zune, so i cannot offer an opinion

My mind laden this with 4 metric tons of innuendo.

I think I need to get some sleep.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
    edited December 2008
    it is ok, i giggled as i typed it

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    I looked pretty hard at zunes when I was shopping around for a player. I'm determined to never own an apple product for whatever reason.

This comic feels kind of dated.

Dynagrip on
    edited December 2008
    in all honesty, one thing I love about my Zune is that you can set a background picture on the UI

it just looks so cool

Centipede Damascus on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    pretty much all of bel's posts are innuendo by default now

I can't read one of them without automaticly assuming she is talking about penises

TheySlashThem on
    edited December 2008
    i think you guys are being a little hard on me

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
    edited December 2008
    Dang it, Bel.

Centipede Damascus on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ahahahahaaa

TheySlashThem on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    nice one, bel. And nice av/sig combo.

Antimatter on
    edited December 2008
    8-)

and thank you

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • SkillazSkillaz __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    I hear that every time someone purchases a zune a baby kitty dies.

You cat murderers!

Skillaz on
    dark-knight-joker-close_11976582-3.jpg
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have nothing against Apple as a company, but I cannot stand iPods at all. you can take your clickwheel and stupid ugly interface

I will have my pretty Zune

that I got for free

Vann Diras on
  • SkillazSkillaz __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    How did you get a Zune for free?

Skillaz on
    dark-knight-joker-close_11976582-3.jpg
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    He was going to blow the MS sales guy anyway.

Defender on
    edited December 2008
    How can you even say that the iPod is a bad mp3 player?

It is very expensive, and under-featured.

For years competitors have come out with products that did more for less money, but they couldn't penetrate the market, due to the sheer brand recognition of the iPod. Meanwhile, Apple has made slight updates on a years basis, none of which they have allowed to be downloaded to prior models (at least not for free.)

My issue with the iPod brand is that it has actually HELD BACK innovation within the PMP market, while keeping prices much higher than they reasonably should be. It has done this because, since it is impossible to compete with their marketing push, competitors fall in line with them, and offer about the same product for about the same price.

Apple may not have 100% of the market share, but when it comes to control of the market they are effectively a monopoly, and that is not a thing that I think is okay, because they clearly abuse it.

Evander on
  • Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    hey, I like The Killers and Coldplay

really though zunes are for nerds

Sara Lynn on
    edited December 2008
    video games are for nerds

Evander on
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I got my Zune from a friend, actually.

and defender why you gotta be like that

also Evander is right

Vann Diras on
  • Riggs BlitzkriegRiggs Blitzkrieg Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sweet comic

Riggs Blitzkrieg on
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'll probably post my justification of why the zune is awesome tomorrow

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
This discussion has been closed.