As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Google Streetview Seattle is finally up!

dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community CartographerGold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
edited December 2008 in PAX Archive
And it's vast, it goes pretty damn far out. Anyway, for those making plans and want to see where they'll be staying, travelling, or whatever, now you can see it from the street, rather than the sky. maps.google.com

a.k.a. dya
"Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
dyaballikl on

• Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    btw, here are a few important locations:
    The WSCTC
    The Meydinbauer Center
    The Red Lion Hotel
    and, last but certainly not least: The Green Tortoise Hostel

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    why the hell did you search by medina? lol

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I already found myself!!!

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    BigRed wrote: »
    why the hell did you search by medina? lol

cuz bill gates' house is literally posted on google maps.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    ashridahashridah Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    *sigh*, and once again, having an apartment in a giant private apartment complex bites me again. No street view out front of my place, just from the main street next to it which is isn't quite close enough to see. Ah well.

ashridah on
  • Options
    nearlysobernearlysober Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've already found my car in 3 seperate locations. My driveway. The parking lot I sometimes use when driving to work and I dont mind walking further to avoid paying the meter... and my street parking spot I sometimes park in when the weather is nice enough to feed the meter :)

nearlysober on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    lucky, all my parking spots are hidden from view! i've been tracing my routes, and using the view to determine the time of day, but i still can't find myself or my car or my work truck anywhere.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    the one I'm in is of me and two of my co-workers parked illegally on the UW sidewalk in our giant box truck.

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    treyh37treyh37 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    wow that is vast and my house is way out there and is covered, and the pics are rather recent cause theres a gate nearby that was put in only a couple months ago.

would've like them to get marysville as well cause i know some people there

treyh37 on
    later
    trey
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    treyh37 wrote: »
    wow that is vast and my house is way out there and is covered, and the pics are rather recent cause theres a gate nearby that was put in only a couple months ago.

would've like them to get marysville as well cause i know some people there

oh, you know both of them, huh? lol jk. marysville is kinda lame. i'd rather they continue south to olympia, which is also lame, but is at least the capital.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It is kinda weird that they got Monroe and up to Gold Bar, and even went up SR92 a ways, but didn't get Marysville. Oh well, I can see my place in Everett and my dads real close to where they stopped up SR92, and yeah it seems like they only did this within the last month or two

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Seeing the convention center from the street makes me nostalgic. God I love downtown Seattle.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Indeed. Plus for people who haven't been to PAX and are curious about getting around downtown Seattle by themselves: don't worry. If you stay at the Sheraton, sure it's pricey but you definitely don't need a rental car.

http://tinyurl.com/PAX-plus-Sheraton-equals-win

On the right of that street view picture is the Sheraton. On the left is the WSCTC, where PAX is held.

No, you do not need a rental car. :-)

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Boycott the Sheraton. Stay at the Hyatt. :P

Some of you may know why I say that, lol. They're both just as close though, and Street View is a good way to get an idea of what it all looks like and not get lost. It definitely looks cool. :D

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    Boycott the Sheraton. Stay at the Hyatt. :P

Some of you may know why I say that, lol. They're both just as close though, and Street View is a good way to get an idea of what it all looks like and not get lost. It definitely looks cool. :D

I'm curious why you say that, as I stayed at the Sheraton, but am open to different options next year.

Although next year we'll have to move the mass button meeting out of the Sheraton for sure. That shit was off the chain.

redhalo on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited December 2008
    Yeah we definitely need a button meet-up place that we can hang around for more than 15 minutes.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Why not in the WSCTC lobby? We could hang out in that area on the first floor where the chairs/coffee tables are. It's away from normal foot traffic, so we wouldn't be in anyone's way I think.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    lol guys that's exactly why i said it, because they kicked us out during the buttoneer meeting. Some of us were talking about it after the fact (probably somewhere in the forums) and it came up. I know the Sheraton is the hotel of choice for PAX, what with the extra discount and top floor pool, but I tend to start looking elsewhere when they kick us out of the lobby, then tell us to not block the side walk. lol

Anyway, I stayed at the Red Lion which was a whole block and a half away, had no problems at all. I just wish the hotel room was a bit bigger. And the Grand Hyatt is probably the nicest hotel in the immediate area, and the price really isn't much more, so that's where I'll be next year. The WSCTC lobby might work though, and the Pre-PAX Dinner is a good way to get started, as we know. :P

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    In their defence, I think just about any hotel would have reacted the same way. I kept glancing over at the security guy half expecting him to just start tackling people. Does anyone have a good pictures of the security dude? Cause we totally need buttons of him for next year.

redhalo on
  • Options
    MeeOkMeeOk Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    One of the security people from the Convention Center was a complete prick to me. He kept calling me all sorts of nasty names under his breath whenever I walked by. Yes, I was dressed in spiffy clothing, but certainly nothing worse than anything at Sakura-Con, hell, most swimsuits show more.

Still not sure what design I want to do for a button. There isn't anything particularly iconic about me. ^^;

MeeOk on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Wow, they were saying bad things about you? That sucks, I'm sorry to hear that. =(

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    *shrugs some* I talked to some of the other convention center staff, but nothing ever came of it. I'm pretty sure you saw the stuff I was wearing on Friday and Saturday, and the outfits weren't that scandalous. He called me a slut and a whore every time I walked by. Ass hat.

MeeOk on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I already found myself!!!
    me too!
    :rotate:

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    MeeOk wrote: »
    *shrugs some* I talked to some of the other convention center staff, but nothing ever came of it. I'm pretty sure you saw the stuff I was wearing on Friday and Saturday, and the outfits weren't that scandalous. He called me a slut and a whore every time I walked by. Ass hat.

Holy crap, that's crazy. =( That's basically sexual harassment. Even if you were wearing nothing at all, he shouldn't have been saying that. (I don't remember what you were wearing, but nothing could justify that kind of statement... by anyone, but *especially* by someone with a paid position at the center... that's aweful. =( )

So to the Streetview topic... you guys who've found yourselves in the streetview, link it! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Even if you were wearing nothing at all,

darn sexy flanders

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    redacted

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    dyaballikl wrote: »

he musta been gay ;) i think you looked awesome! :)

parabola on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I found my apartment on Street view

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=304+e.+thomas+st.+seattle+wa&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=48.106236,78.75&ie=UTF8&z=16&g=304+e.+thomas+st.+seattle+wa&iwloc=addr&layer=c&cbll=47.62086,-122.327958&panoid=OinwJfHWmBA6dCueZeKfWw&cbp=12,74.38348580747379,,0,5

I'm not rightly sure how links work through the threads, so hopefully that will work. I live about a fifteen minute walk away from the Convention Center, if that puts it into perspective for people how close I am to downtown. :)

I probably am not going to dress in anything particularly special for PAX '09. Partly because of the ass hat convention center staff person, and also... walking around in high heeled anything for that long = much foot pain. By Sunday of this year's PAX I was in jean's and a Resident Evil t-shirt, hah.

MeeOk on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I've found my house in Everett, but there's not much to see, it's like 60 years old. Haven't found myself or my vehicle, I was probably at work when they came around, and of course they didn't go into Marysville so I can't look there.

Also, I can probably get a good shot of that guy at the Sheraton, we had our camcorder going for a while in there, and outside. I'll have to take a look at that sometime tonight. Oh, and next time one of the convention staff makes any kind of remarks like that, punch them in the dick or something. I certainly wouldn't take it, especially from them, I didn't really see any staff there that actually looked like they wanted to be there, knew what they were doing, or even cared. Idk, maybe it was just me.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Aye. If it were possible, I'd rather it just be run by the enforcers, and leave those WSCTC staff people out of it entirely. I know that the WSCTC would never let that happen, but they should. The Enforcers do a good job, and indeed I didn't see a single WSCTC employee there who actually seemed to take joy in anything... and apparently, they were doing quite the opposite. =(

Actually, the lady who ran the nacho line seemed like she was having a good time now that I think about it. She can stay. Everyone else from the WSCTC should be given the weekend off at PAX... or in the case of the guy who harrassed MeeOk, fired.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Aye. If it were possible, I'd rather it just be run by the enforcers, and leave those WSCTC staff people out of it entirely. I know that the WSCTC would never let that happen, but they should.

I really wish they would. Of course they would need many more enforcers, but it's not like it would be a hard job to do, and the ones doing it would (hopefully) be enjoying it, or at the very least be courteous to the attendees.
    or in the case of the guy who harrassed MeeOk, fired.

It's definitely a case that should have resulted in that, had the issue been brought up to the staff in charge. *sigh* I miss the Meydenbauer Center. :P

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I just recently saw the Meydenbauer center. It's.. really small compared to the WSCTC. I thought all the Enforcer's were pretty awesome. You would think they'd have less irritating people as staff, considering how many off the wall conventions and expos go on there. But ah well.

I did confront the guy who was giving me problems, after I walked back and forth a few times just to make sure he really was saying what I thought, and that I wasn't just hearing things.

He said he was only telling people to "Go straight, and then to the right" to get to the expo hall. To which I pointed out he was saying something a lot shorter, and a lot... less polite, and he looked all mock-horrified. He was still working the entire rest of the weekend. I think I just give off a vibe of "harass this person" or something. All through my teen years (not that I'm far from them by any means), I've had so much shit dished out at me. Whatever. I just expected someone who worked there to be more professional, since I've worked people/service jobs before, and it isn't hard to be polite to people

MeeOk on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    FUCK THAT

Im glad the wsctc staff is there. They do the majority of the boring jobs that enforcers would be stuck doing. Its a huge load off over the WSCTC where we we had to do what the greencoats are doing now.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I probably am not going to dress in anything particularly special for PAX '09. Partly because of the ass hat convention center staff person, and also... walking around in high heeled anything for that long = much foot pain. By Sunday of this year's PAX I was in jean's and a Resident Evil t-shirt, hah.

don't give up, the cosplay must live on! i don't know about heels, but my authentic samurai bamboo sandals were crazy uncomfortable to walk in, but it was worth it to stick it out. the bums were my only reason for real discomfort, but they didn't really bother me too much. cosplay is one of the things that makes pax great, and it's worth fighting for.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I wasn't actually cos-playing anything, though. I just was dressing in spiffy clothing, because I don't get a chance to wear my awesome outfits very frequently. That'll be changing in '09 though, because I'll actually be old enough to go to clubs and bars. :)

Also, I wasn't saying that the WSCTC staff shouldn't be there, just that.. I wished they were more tolerant.

MeeOk on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    FUCK THAT

Im glad the wsctc staff is there. They do the majority of the boring jobs that enforcers would be stuck doing. Its a huge load off over the WSCTC where we we had to do what the greencoats are doing now.

Of course what you say is true, it was hasty of me to wish for their outright removal. But if they're going to be mean to people (especially what happened to MeeOk), that's lame and you can't blame people for wishing that there were a better alternative. Some people complained about enforcers (which I disagree with, I think they did a great job), but anything that anyone's complained about an enforcer doing PALES in comparison to a staff member repeatedly calling a participant a slut. I mean, we're talking orders of magnitude of difference in things that are complaint-worthy.

An enforcer (or WSCTC staffer) asks you not to stand in a certain spot? They're just doing their job, give them a break already!

Someone insulting an attendee? That's something actually work complaining about.

Heck, I can do menial jobs! What kind of jobs are we talking here? They seemed to be guarding some entrances, and filling some vendor roles (selling their WSCTC food and such)... was there anything else they were doing? Helping with setup/takedown? Janitorial services maybe? I'll volunteer for the position. And I won't call anyone a slut (EDIT: Unless they specifically ask me to for some kind of PAX Treasure hunt or something ;) ). =)

Maybe there could be two levels of Enforcer? The enforcers that do the types of things they currently do, and the ones that are involved in the more menial/boring work?

Not that any of this is beyond the realm of pure rhetorical conversation. The WSCTC would never allow it to be run without them I imagine, and I realize that completely. I'm just hypothesizing in my theoretical world. =)

EDIT: And also granted, I shouldn't let one rotten apple ruin the bunch... but something should be done. Who knows how many people's days were ruined by this guys' comments. I would guess that, if he said something to MeeOk, he probably said something to many people. I can't imagine that he'd just single one person out. It just makes me mad that someone would be like that when everyone's just there to have a good time. =(

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I would guess that, if he said something to MeeOk, he probably said something to many people. I can't imagine that he'd just single one person out. It just makes me mad that someone would be like that when everyone's just there to have a good time. =(

I would assume the same, and can only wonder if it happens more often during events like Sakura-Con.

Either way we'll just have to hope it doesn't happen anymore, and if it does (especially from the same person) then somebody needs to do something about it.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Aye, no one should have to put up with that. =(

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    FUCK THAT

Of course what you say is true, it was hasty of me to wish for their outright removal. But if they're going to be mean to people (especially what happened to MeeOk), that's lame and you can't blame people for wishing that there were a better alternative. Some people complained about enforcers (which I disagree with, I think they did a great job), but anything that anyone's complained about an enforcer doing PALES in comparison to a staff member repeatedly calling a participant a slut. I mean, we're talking orders of magnitude of difference in things that are complaint-worthy.

An enforcer (or WSCTC staffer) asks you not to stand in a certain spot? They're just doing their job, give them a break already!

Someone insulting an attendee? That's something actually work complaining about.

Heck, I can do menial jobs! What kind of jobs are we talking here? They seemed to be guarding some entrances, and filling some vendor roles (selling their WSCTC food and such)... was there anything else they were doing? Helping with setup/takedown? Janitorial services maybe? I'll volunteer for the position. And I won't call anyone a slut (EDIT: Unless they specifically ask me to for some kind of PAX Treasure hunt or something ;) ). =)

Maybe there could be two levels of Enforcer? The enforcers that do the types of things they currently do, and the ones that are involved in the more menial/boring work?

Not that any of this is beyond the realm of pure rhetorical conversation. The WSCTC would never allow it to be run without them I imagine, and I realize that completely. I'm just hypothesizing in my theoretical world. =)

EDIT: And also granted, I shouldn't let one rotten apple ruin the bunch... but something should be done. Who knows how many people's days were ruined by this guys' comments. I would guess that, if he said something to MeeOk, he probably said something to many people. I can't imagine that he'd just single one person out. It just makes me mad that someone would be like that when everyone's just there to have a good time. =(

vt, you're such a slut ;)

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
This discussion has been closed.