As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'll get you and your little computer, too.

DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
First: My computer knowledge is terribly lacking. So if the solution is something simple, simply say it without too much insulting (Unless its funny, then by all means, let loose).

So, a strange thing happened. I downloaded FRAPS and...now limewire keeps opening. I mean, I can sit there, without touching the keyboard or mouse, staring at the desktop, and limewire will boot up. Uninstalling Limewire solved that problem, but another one has popped up. A far more interesting problem.

I can't open the task manager. No amount of ctrl+alt+dlt works whatsoever. And now I keept getting the little hourglass busy mouse icon when I'm doing nothing at all.

What the hell is going on? The Windows Help Wizard is, as usual, without any measure of useful information at all concerning my problem.

Since system information is usually requested and generally helps (of course I really don't know what you would need to know so I'll just list what I would think is relevant and if you need more, just say so).

Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 Processor
3500+
2.21Ghz, 2G Ram

Now, I did leave it at a friends house for the weekend, so if there IS something wrong, it might have happened over there, in which case...well, someone's catching it to the nuts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Docshifty on

• stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You've reaped what you sew by illegally downloading software through a crappy, virus ridden, sharing network. Your machine is infected with at least one virus, and most likely more. Use housecall,antivirus.com or the microsoft live online scanner to get started, then install some local anti virus, anti spyware, and get scanning in safe mode.

stigweard on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sounds like spyware/a virus of some kind. Get a virus checker and ad-aware and run them both. If it keeps happening, you may need to do a clean reinstall.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    stigweard wrote:
    You've reaped what you sew by illegally downloading software through a crappy, virus ridden, sharing network. Your machine is infected with at least one virus, and most likely more. Use housecall,antivirus.com or the microsoft live online scanner to get started, then install some local anti virus, anti spyware, and get scanning in safe mode.

eheh, if you're referring to it all starting by downloading FRAPS, that was the trial version from the site, I simpley included it because, like I said, shit didn't happen until I did that. So it looks like someone was on it while I left it at their house and downloading something, hmm? Righty-o then.

Docshifty on
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Where in that post did I mention Fraps? ;) Limewire is a cesspool of broken files, viruses, and spyware, some of which that can be propagated through the client itself with no user intervention. The aol version of kapersky antivirus is a good place to start if you have no money to buy a decent av program. Install it and spybot, reboot to safe mode, and start scanning. If you can't get it clean, you need to look into programs like hijack this which are a little more complicated to use, but you can get further into manual removal. Restoring ctrl-alt-del is a matter of restoring a registry key.

stigweard on