As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Terminator: Cancellation of Show Chronicles [nsf56k i guess]

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    One thing that annoyed me about the 1920 episode:
    How did the organic flesh of that termie keep fresh and crisp that long? It clearly grows back and is living tissue, doesn't it need nutrition? A termie with mummified strips of flesh for a face in a mobster outfit would have made for a cool image.

i'm going to say nanotechnology and wave my hands really fast and you aren't going to think about it

awwwwhoooosh!

the 'awwwwhoooosh' sells it.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Terminators eat food. This has been true since the deleted scenes in T1.

The one where Ahnuld eats candy bars, wrappers and all?

Wait, why were you asking if you already knew?

I think that Cameron also eats potato chips in the premier. But she's weary about eating pizza, because she thinks it makes her look fat.

The only thing that's far-fetched is that we actually see Cromartie working with some Doc on it, and apparently the main ingredient for synthetic skin is blood. And then you sit in a pool that looks like blood and somehow your metal skeleton makes it look like flesh. And apparently the Doc was expecting a normal person to sit in there and grow synthetic flesh. I'm not an expert on biology, and I forgot what the Doc had to say about the breakthrough, but that's one thing to consider if you want to bring start a conversation on synthetic flesh.

BTW, does Skynet not want to hasten the coming of Judgement Day? Note how Cromartie is careful to destroy all the evidence of the formula.

Schrodinger on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    perhaps because this formula, in human hands, could actually help humans instead?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, consider that those endoskeletons must have special provisions to support the synthetic skin. Surface modifications to stick RGD proteins and the like.

electricitylikesme on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    AWWWWOOOOOOOOSH

Pony on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    well these actually aren't the droids he was looking for..

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    edited December 2008
    seriously dudes it's just a TV show

it's internally consistent for the most part, unlike say, Heroes

so as long as it stays internally consistent i have no reason to question or try to understand the technology and how-to's of the show.

Pony on
  • midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Terminators eat food. This has been true since the deleted scenes in T1.

But he wasn't eating food for 70 years while he was in the wall, I think was his point.

IMO it's entirely possible that the Terminator skeleton is able to nourish the flesh around it through some technological means, though.

midgetspy on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    They only need to eat to repair skin, not maintain it.

DarkWarrior on
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    perhaps because this formula, in human hands, could actually help humans instead?

The base programming would assume he was dealing with post-war humans who might find the formula useful for unmasking or crippling terminators?

JohnnyCache on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2008
    Not too far of a stretch to assume that someone could reverse-engineer the formula and make a Magic Spray (AWWWWOOOOOOOOSH) that dissolves it.

"Oh, Big McLargehuge wandering into our hidden underground base. Please stand still while we apply this deodorant to your face. Oh, your face melted? Get 'im, lads!"

Echo on
    edited December 2008
    Its more like leaving behind a big metal skeleton. It could change the future in uncontrollable ways.

DarkWarrior on
    edited December 2008
    to be honest i just hate when people try to analyze and figure out sci-fi technology beyond what has to exist for the show

it makes me grab my head and go PSYYYYDUUUCK

Pony on
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Heres how I make the moveis and the show make sense.

In an alternate time line, alienane technology got released and skynet was invented.

John connor finally sent himself back in time, and wrote the movie script for terminator. The Gov. freaked and limited AI technology and the release of alien secrets.

This is why we do not have the flyiing car and sex robot.

If they could delay skynet another 30 years and give us all Cameron sex robots, I'm alll for Judgement Day.

Tommatt on
  • LizardLizard Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Not too far of a stretch to assume that someone could reverse-engineer the formula and make a Magic Spray (AWWWWOOOOOOOOSH) that dissolves it.

"Oh, Big McLargehuge wandering into our hidden underground base. Please stand still while we apply this deodorant to your face. Oh, your face melted? Get 'im, lads!"

I once put a wooden stake through a guy's heart, and he died, so it's safe to assume that he was a vampire.

Lizard on
  • yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Lizard wrote: »

I once put a wooden stake through a guy's heart, and he died, so it's safe to assume that he was a vampire.

Ideally this special compund would not react to true human flesh.

yurnamehere on
  • UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wouldn't a metal detector be better?

Underdog on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2008
    Underdog wrote: »

Don't be silly. That's not a science fiction solution!

Echo on
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

:lol: haha yeah Terminators should be absurdly easy to detect. They can't swim, they're (likely) incredibly heavy/dense, they're made of freakin metal and they set off metal detectors. A simple weight plate or metal detector at every entrance would be easier than using dogs to detect terminators. I suppose if I were going for the no-prize I'd say that Terminator physiology is enough like human physiology so that they appear human to our noses, but is different enough (i.e. rapid healing, very little bleeding, synthetic blood, grows on a metal skeleton) to be detectable by dog noses. Also you'd have to somehow posit that scales and metal detectors are less common in the future than plasma rifles :P.

valiance on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    They already have a method for detecting terminators in the future. Dogs.

Al_wat on
    edited December 2008
    Al_wat wrote: »

Yeah, isn't that 8 million times harder than using scales or metal detectors? I guess dogs can detect a terminator at some distance. But still it seems rather silly.

valiance on
    edited December 2008
    I doubt there was a scale store around their camp. And power isn't easy to come by either. And its something they could probably work around anywya.

DarkWarrior on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So this Terminator stuff is sort of good.

Accualt on
    edited December 2008

Further evidence: tonight's episode.

Poor doggy doesn't last too long though.

Al_wat on
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    valiance wrote: »

:lol: haha yeah Terminators should be absurdly easy to detect. They can't swim

So is this a situation where a trial by water would actually not be made of tragic irony?

Shadowen on
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ok give me a show of the girl and the baby on the run, with Brian Austin Green looking for her on one side and the terminators on the other side...

useless4 on
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I doubt there was a scale store around their camp. And power isn't easy to come by either. And its something they could probably work around anywya.

Food for the dogs is not easy to come by either.

JohnDoe on
    edited December 2008
    Ohhh man, I thought Lauren had actually died when the mom was like "What happens to Lauren?" and Derek kinda looks her off. Although that was kind of a dumb assumption since it was established pretty early that she was the one who had given Derek the injection. Synapses don't work too well.

How did the trip8 beat Cameron? And if he was close enough to throw her into the house, why didn't he attack right then?

Underdog on
    edited December 2008
    JohnDoe wrote: »

Dogs can eat a lot of different shit. It`s not like they need to raid the Kibbles`n`bits factory to keep their dogs working. They probably just feed them whatever they eat themselves.

Or hell. Why let all that flesh the terminators are wearing go to waste? :lol:

Al_wat on
  • DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So '6 Months Earlier'? They got the family's name from the future guy who wrote in blood in their basement, right? I have a hard time believing six months have passed since then.

The last few episodes were really good, but this one felt like a step back. I understand that they wanted to be less serialized this season, and while last week's episode did little to advance the story, it was still good. This one was kind of meh

DesertBox on
    edited December 2008
    so how about tonight's episode guys
    not as good as last weeks, future stuff was ehh. some nice moments, looking forward to next week.

valiance on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Charles Barkley made me lol so hard though

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    JohnDoe wrote: »

Dogs can eat a lot of different shit. It`s not like they need to raid the Kibbles`n`bits factory to keep their dogs working. They probably just feed them whatever they eat themselves.

Or hell. Why let all that flesh the terminators are wearing go to waste? :lol:

Mankind has had dogs for a long ass time, they are low maintenance critters. The major advantage to dogs is they are mobile, you can bring them with you. It would be impossible for Skynet to ambush a human party with dogs.

If I had to take a shot in the dark I'd say the mechanical parts of the terminator, or the terminators power cells make noises that are imperceptible to us but dogs can hear easily. Think: vacuum cleaner. This actually isn't very far fetched, mythical future power source could make all kinds of ultrasonic noises that would drive animals crazy, since there's plenty of things in real life that do.

override367 on
  • LizardLizard Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Haha, Cameron only got one line and it was still the best one of the episode.

"He was human? My mistake."
    OK, so Cameron killed Roger six months beforehand, the Terminator took Roger's cell phone. The mother called Roger, the terminator showed up and killed the father and fatally wounded the mother. Why didn't Lauren tell anyone Cameron killed Roger? Was it because she was glad he was gone?

Lizard on
  • RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Humans have also kept dogs around because they are a usable food source in a pinch. Plus I'm sure they help with some of the animal hunts (rabbits, etc).

As for the ease of detecting a terminator in the future, all he needs to do is get in the front door, and then he can start the pew pew. We have been shown enough future scenes in this series to see that only really the civilian population is living like crap in horrible conditions. The future military seem to have their stuff together, and would have all of those counter measures in place. Plus, they all seem to have metal walking around working for them in some capacity.

The civs seem to live in whatever place they can all fit and stay out of sight. And for every method they have to spot a terminator, skynet evolves the model and it starts again.

using large HK --> people hide underground
    Using biped terminators on the ground --> humans spot metal from far away
    Cover with rubber skin --> humans still spot them, but from not as far away
    Cover with real skin --> humans use scales
    Lighter models -- > humans use dogs

Skynet also builds various models for different roles. A ceramic chassis to avoid metal detectors can't take the punishment that a large metal hardened frame can. Different models for different reasons..

And dogs again : in every scene with a terminator + dog, the dog seems to die. Its like dogs are a higher priority then john connor.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Well, you'd know why if you'd pay more attention.

Didn't you hear them talking about Captain Charles Barkley?

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
    edited December 2008

OK, so Cameron killed Roger six months beforehand, the Terminator took Roger's cell phone. The mother called Roger, the terminator showed up and killed the father and fatally wounded the mother. Why didn't Lauren tell anyone Cameron killed Roger? Was it because she was glad he was gone?
    We're still using spoilers? Kinda pointless when most aren't. But anyway, I didn't think she killed him, I thought she just knocked him out. But maybe Lauren didn't know he was dead. Maybe she did mention it but was like "The girlbot hit him and he fell down." and then the mom got all worried and called to check if he was ok and then bam! Terminator all over their front lawn.

Underdog on
  • Double DeuceDouble Deuce Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

We're still using spoilers? Kinda pointless when most aren't. But anyway, I didn't think she killed him, I thought she just knocked him out. But maybe Lauren didn't know he was dead. Maybe she did mention it but was like "The girlbot hit him and he fell down." and then the mom got all worried and called to check if he was ok and then bam! Terminator all over their front lawn.

I sure thought she killed him. I really don't get how she couldn't tell he was human before bonking him, though. We've seen that she's able to determine Terminators vs. humans before, using her sensors or whatever. Maybe her sensors were screwed up from getting her ass kicked?

Double Deuce on
    edited December 2008

I don't think Cameron killed Roger. I think they all died just recently, not six months ago; so the terminator is actively hunting them right now (which is why they have to stay in that..warehouse or wherever). I hope the girl goes to stay with Jesse or something; a 16 year old taking care of a baby on the run? at least sarah was a bit older when she did that.

valiance on
    edited December 2008
    I really didn't like the mom character. She seemed like she had a decent setup and almost cost her daughters their lives and got herself and her husband killed for her own self serving needs.

DarkWarrior on